Stressing the DFGT...

Denmark
Aarhus
eddiedietz
Hi everyone,

I'm Eddie from Denmark. I've just started driving with the Driving Force GT wheel and I'm learning to drift with it. It's not an easy task I have to say. I'm decent with DS3 in most FR-cars though.
I practice with the S13 at Autumn Ring, which has a lot of small corners and you don't need a lot of speed here. When initiating the drift I have to countersteer at 270+ degrees, but then I have to turn back again even faster, so the car doesn't snap into a spin. Isn't that stressful for the FFB even at low levels? It feels like I'm forcing the wheel a lot here. I've tried unplugging the power cord to disable FFB. It's easier to turn the wheel fast, but also a little irritating when not drifting. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :-)

Well, I'm a decently experienced drifter with a DFGT. At first, when the wheel is new, 10 FFB is really strong, and feels too much. But after a week, or so (max.), I always turn it to 10.

Yes, this is not great for the wheel, but my first DFGT held out for nearly 2 years. If you take care of it, make sure the dust doesn't get too much etc... Then the FFB won't hurt the wheel while drifting.

I use FFB 1 you will be stressing the wheel at first I broke my 1st dfgt in two month. Once you get used to it you will start getting smoother with your steering input it just takes a lot of time and patience, you will get there just keep at it.

In terms of learning to drift (you were asking for tips too?), there's quite a few recent threads about learning to drift on DFGT's, but to tell you straight, it takes about 2 months to get 'good'. I'd give it a week or so with low power, stock suspension and a 5,60,60 diff. Get as consistent as possible and bring in a friend to help getting you to start tandeming. Following the leader's line and speed around the track help you focus on wheel control, and handling the car. Doing constant Tsukuba laps really helped me, then moving to suzuka. Autumn ring mini + full are actually very complex tracks that take a good bit of learning, you may struggle going straight to it on the wheel.

First things first, learn to stop that snap-back on Tsukuba, and always try to keep the wheels sliding and power out of corners, avoid free-wheeling too much, this will help prevent snap-back.

A tip for relieving the stress is to do a few warm up laps, just normal racing or driving with a higher feedback strength, then turn it down when your ready to drift. Its good to warm your wheel up a bit before you start yanking on it.

I've had my DFGT since I got GT5 (preordered). I've always had it at 10 with "Power Steering" off and its still good. I work in construction and bring it to the work site once in a while so it gets thick with dust too... Still going strong. :shrug:

Hi everyone,

I'm Eddie from Denmark. I've just started driving with the Driving Force GT wheel and I'm learning to drift with it. It's not an easy task I have to say. I'm decent with DS3 in most FR-cars though.
I practice with the S13 at Autumn Ring, which has a lot of small corners and you don't need a lot of speed here. When initiating the drift I have to countersteer at 270+ degrees, but then I have to turn back again even faster, so the car doesn't snap into a spin. Isn't that stressful for the FFB even at low levels? It feels like I'm forcing the wheel a lot here. I've tried unplugging the power cord to disable FFB. It's easier to turn the wheel fast, but also a little irritating when not drifting. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :-)

Depends what your FFB is set to. Mine is set to 10 and I turn the wheel quite a lot and after 1-2hours of playing the front is hot as 🤬. But in my opinion DFGT are good built and they are pretty strong so I don't think you have to worry much about FFB and unplugging the FFB cord.

Just go with the strongest FFB :lol:

My DFGT held out for about 3 years and would probably still be going strong if I didn't get a G25.

Bluntified
A tip for relieving the stress is to do a few warm up laps, just normal racing or driving with a higher feedback strength, then turn it down when your ready to drift. Its good to warm your wheel up a bit before you start yanking on it.

This is so true when you first go on track your wheel feels real stiff but after a few laps it loosens up.

Reddee
This is so true when you first go on track your wheel feels real stiff but after a few laps it loosens up.

Looks like some people get lucky. Like I said my 1st dfgt lasted 2month on FFB 5 lol.

Dam I allways press quote instead of edit lol sry.

Looks like some people get lucky. Like I said my 1st dfgt lasted 2month on FFB 5 lol.

Dam I allways press quote instead of edit lol sry.

Sorry to hear, but I don't think luck has anything to do with it (entirely). I find *where* you buy it equally important (as luck). There are too many places online that are selling re-furbished/used goods as new.

I got my wheel nearly 4 years ago from a big store here (Future Shop), its still going strong as ever, it does get a little hotter than before but other than that, it feels good.

Sorry to hear, but I don't think luck has anything to do with it (entirely). I find *where* you buy it equally important (as luck). There are too many places online that are selling re-furbished/used goods as new.

I got my wheel nearly 4 years ago from a big store here (Future Shop), its still going strong as ever, it does get a little hotter than before but other than that, it feels good.

Tbh, the only reason why I needed to get another wheel was the pedals. The steering wheel was perfectly fine, so I agree with you. Even with a very high FFb, the wheel can take a lot.

To OP: I've seen a couple of really decent drifters use other settings than me in this thread, I thought it was always on 10.(FFb). Either way, try it out and see what you like best.

Bluntified

I bought both of mine from Argos lol. So definatly nothing to do with where I bought it. It was the wheel that broke my pedals are still going strong :).

Thanks for the responses.

From reading other threads I'm aware that it's alot harder than with the DS3, so it will take a lot of time to learn. My concern was mostly for the wheel because of the snap-back, where I had to turn the wheel back very very quickly.
I think I'll try with different FFB settings and try some of your advice on practicing.

One last question. Do the way people hold the wheel differ? Do you keep your hands at the same position at each side of the wheel and turn to 270 degrees with arms crossed and then back without letting go (if that makes sense?) or do you just turn it fiercely back and forth in a cow-milking sort of way? Or a third way?
I saw a guy on youtube with a bright mark at the top the wheel so it was easy to visually find the original position. Anyone who does that too?

Firstly, I'm not a good a drifter. Secondly, I use a T500RS, not a DFGT.

I tend to use the "quarter to three" wheel-position, because of the gears, and turn until my arms cross, and I'm not going further with both hands on the wheel. I tried with a lower FFB setting, and it seemed to help, a bit.

- I'm still not "good", but practice makes perfect!

I keep my hands at the side and let the wheel do the counter steering and catch it at the right point. I do also rock back and forth like you said like milking a cow ha ha.

Firstly, I'm not a good a drifter. Secondly, I use a T500RS, not a DFGT.

I tend to use the "quarter to three" wheel-position, because of the gears, and turn until my arms cross, and I'm not going further with both hands on the wheel. I tried with a lower FFB setting, and it seemed to help, a bit.

- I'm still not "good", but practice makes perfect!

A T500S has a lot more powerful FFB compared to a single engined DFGT. So can't really compare it.

It is much more powerful then a DFGT which makes it spin much faster, although all of the motions are the same when it comes to drifting. Looking at various YouTube videos of the DFGT I can safely say that. My dad owns a G27 and all of the motions are exactly the same when I hop on it to drift.

I personally don't know exactly how to DFGT acts when drifting because I have never gotten the opportunity to drift with one. I can though assume it is slower during free spin and maybe even harder to find the contently moving "sweet spot" when balancing a car due to a weaker motor.

My point I guess is that even if someone has a different, faster, or slower wheel they still can provide a lot of useful information about how to drift on a wheel. I know I have helped a lot of people with different wheels not only through the forum but through my videos, and sometimes on track as well.

I keep my hands at the side and let the wheel do the counter steering and catch it at the right point. I do also rock back and forth like you said like milking a cow ha ha.

Yeah that is pretty much it. When you're starting out it helps if after you counter steer when balancing to rock side to side with the wheel as some have said. When you rock the wheel back and forth you will find the sweet spot eventually but keep in mind that spot is always moving around.

It is not random though, usually when you initiate a drift you require more counter steering at the beginning when catching the car, then you have to feed and/or steer the wheel back into the drift to give yourself more angle and also to prevent "snapback". After you have fed the wheel back in there is usually a need for more counter steering after you have gotten more angle, at this point you are past the apex and onto the exit of the corner and should be ending your drift and returning your wheel to center.

There are also four reasons for "snapback" during drifting, this is when your car snaps in the direction you're counter steering. Here are some reasons I have found why a car would "snapback" during a drift.

1. You have counter steered to much, this is kind of obvious when it happens and you should be able to root it out pretty fast.

2. you are in to low of a gear. So you are in second gear lets say drifting and your bouncing off of the rev limiter. After a bit of this on some corners you will have used up all of your power to keep the drift going, this results in the weight of the car shifting forward onto the front tires giving them grip sending you in the direction you're counter steering.

3. You are not putting enough power down, this is very similar to number two but you would be in the correct gear for that corner. So you're not putting enough power down basically 🤬 footing it, after a while of not enough throttle and/or no throttle your cars weight will shift forward onto the front tires giving them grip sending you in the direction you're counter steering.

4. You have not fed and/or steered your wheel back into the drift fast enough. This is somewhat like number one but is much harder to figure out when learning. This can happen at three points of your drift once after initiating and catching, once when balancing your car, and once again when ending you're drift.

4A. So you have initiated your drift and caught your car but have not fed/steered back into the drift fast enough, weight will shift forward onto the front tires giving them grip sending you in the direction you're counter steering.

4B. (This relates directly to number one.) So you've caught your car and fed/steered back into the drift fast enough to get more angle, and or you're balancing the car if you counter steer to much during this point you'll most likely snapback.

4C. (this also relates to number one.) So you've successfully balanced your car and are now onto the exit of the corner, if you counter steer to much at this point and/or haven't returned your wheel to center you will snapback.

Hope this helps.

Cj.

Last edited:
It looks so easy when you do it like that :-)

What car are you driving? Hp?

Everything is easy, when you know how to do it, and have done it so many times like us. ;)

Looks a bit like a Ruf, which would be between 400 and 500 HP. (But, I am not sure.)

Oh wow this is really helpful Thanks you guys so much for all the comments I was worried about breaking the Driving Force my father ordered. I know its a Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Wheel. I wasn't 100% sure if they are even built for drift.. I've seen a few videos of people using them and looking like it takes very little effort lol. I can't even keep the rear of the car stabilized when braking in 4wds like GTR's at 150mph+ needing to get them down to about atleast 80mph in under 2 seconds I always start sliding.. ABS 0. Someone come over and teach me!! lol

OK So.. After a day of trying to drift with the wheel.. I can't seem to get the car to countersteer correctly. Like I can brake perfectly, then start going into the drift. I can mostly drift the corner. it's just the Corner exit that gets me most of the time. Is there any like Video or something of someone drifting a Car with the Driving Force GT (GTPrologue), that Has his EXACT car tune parts, etc and shows you exactly how to drift this car? That atleast is enough for me. Mastering one car should help with mastering others.

OK So.. After a day of trying to drift with the wheel.. I can't seem to get the car to countersteer correctly. Like I can brake perfectly, then start going into the drift. I can mostly drift the corner. it's just the Corner exit that gets me most of the time. Is there any like Video or something of someone drifting a Car with the Driving Force GT (GTPrologue), that Has his EXACT car tune parts, etc and shows you exactly how to drift this car? That atleast is enough for me. Mastering one car should help with mastering others.

What happens after the corner? Do you spin out towards the inside or does the car snap oversteer towards the outside?

AiYuna

That just takes time and practice. Exiting a corner used to be hard for me too. You just got to keep at it.

What happens after the corner? Do you spin out towards the inside or does the car snap oversteer towards the outside?

That just takes time and practice. Exiting a corner used to be hard for me too. You just got to keep at it.

It's like both. Now everytime I try I can't even begin the drift properly. I can only barely grip -_- I'm a failure ;~; But is it true that the Driving Force GT (GR5:Prologue) wheel is delayed or something compared to other wheels?

It's like both. Now everytime I try I can't even begin the drift properly. I can only barely grip -_- I'm a failure ;~; But is it true that the Driving Force GT (GR5:Prologue) wheel is delayed or something compared to other wheels?

It's not. I have it and manage perfectly. :)

Back