Stupid Things you believed as a kid...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 285 comments
MazdaPrice
Tying in with my Toy Story was real post, I thought the same thing.

I used to close the door to my room then open it again suddenly, hoping to catch them out. I put some in the fridge as punishment for not talking.

...wait, didn't we all?

Haha lol I used to open my door right after I shut it hoping to find talking toys to

My brother convinced me that you lost weight by visualising yourself doing exercise.
Ass****.

So if you watch sports, you get tired too?!

My grandfather once told me, that the previous owner of his house, was so fat, a crane was used to move him out of the house.

And that everybody looks at me, no matter where I am. But I guess that's just me being paranoid.

Ask any greek kid what the "Baboula" is.

I guarantee that every 0-8 yr old Greek kid was threatened with this under the bed/closet dwelling thing.

Another thing that's very weird....
Phone messages used to scare the living crap out of me for some reason. I always thought they could jump out of the phone and chase me.

Don't ask.

Sir, what shrooms did you take? :lol:

I used to believe everyone had gentlemen sausages.

Don't ask I was five m'kay?

I was terrified of the toilette. Flush and flee the bathroom. Idk why, maybe because it was because our old toilette was so loud.
That if I tried hard enough I could move things with my mind. Popped a blood vessel doing that...
Idk how this fits but I used to call poop turdfish.
That nobody else knew how to lie, Oh boy.
Unless my head was under the covers the sandman would get me.
I was a wizard.
Talking toys (who didn't)
America was the only country

More to come when I think of them. I was pretty ignorant as a child.

I used to think that the car could tell if you were going to turn, and it would turn on the turn signal. :dunce: I was so fascinated by that. :dopey: I also thought that everything on the radio was live, all because one time when I was little, my dad changed the radio station when a song that he didn't like came on, and he told me that the guy singing it didn't feel like singing it today. Amazing how gullible we are when we're little. :dopey:

I can't beleave I forgot this!!!

I firmly believed this untill I was about nine years old.
While watching a movie when I was very young, I saw a character die. I saw this in multiple movies, and it looked so real that I thought they, whoever they were, would actually kill the actors and actresses in order to make the movie. The next time I saw George Clooney in a movie, I forgot which one, I was sooooo confused I couldn't talk straight. After a long while, and after my dad stopped laughing, my dad explained it to me.

That if you switch the A/C to MAX before you start the car, it will drain your battery when you start it.

Is this true?

I used to think that people on TV were talking to some random object and then that somehow sent it to my TV(no visible cameras). This lead to be talking to trees and postboxes for a bit.

That I'll win the lottery with my first attempt and buy a big white LEGO castle. Was even upset when my mom (RIP) told me that it took some time before you can get the money from the lottery. LOL

I thought that there were little people inside the radio and TV.

I used to believe a similar thing, but instead of the T.V, I believed they were in my Sega Master System. :lol:

Last edited:
-I thought that athletes always wore the gear of the sport they played. I used to always want to where hockey gear where ever I went, until my mom showed me that the players on the local semi-pro team wore "hockey hang-out clothes" as she called them when they weren't playing.

-Before I started Kindergarten I thought that on the bus everyone just threw paper airplanes around because that is what I saw on a TV show once.

-I thought that Jews and Christians (I am Jewish) were enemies of each other because of the whole "believing Jesus is the son of God" argument. It wasn't until much later that I realized that Judaism and Christianity is really just the same religion with the same core beliefs that split and now has a some differences.

-I once saw a gold colored car and told my mom "I like gold cars." (Some how at that time I understood that the paint is just a gold color, its not actually gold). My mom responded "They are not good cars because They break down easily." (or something along those lines) This led me to believe that all gold colored cars didn't work well. A few years later when I got a bit smarter I realized that my mom had probably misunderstood me and thought I said "I like Ford cars" because my mom always went along with the old stereotype that Fords were unreliable. She has always had Japanese cars (or minivans) but now ironically she recently bought an '08 Ford Escape. Anyway, I think that I am the only one ever who thought the color of a car effected how reliable it was. I am still baffled that I actually believed this...

Last edited:
I used to believe that the UK is as large as the USA. Like, England was comparable with the midwest and I used to relate the distance between say, Lansing and Baton Rouge (1,102 miles) as being the same between Newcastle and Southampton (282).

Big difference.

I was told by a pro basketball player that the secret behind his immense height (6'9") was eating coconut rings - I tried to eat as many coconut rings as I could but I hated them. I only realised he had been joking about 10 years later.

I used to think that there were little people in the speaker of my Dad's stereo system, and even thought I could see ABBA in there occassionally.

I used to believe that some dreams actually happened, including a dream where I found a bunch of frogs in my Mum's laundry basket. Another strange incident involved a mysterious white head rising out from the ground in my back garden. I later realised that it was dream, probably inspired by a white polystyrene head (a dummy head for a wig) that my granny used to let us play with when we were at her house.

I used to believe that you can change a gear in a manual car by wiggling the gear stick three times and it changes to the gear you wanted. Oh, how silly I felt when I told this to my friend :lol:

I was terrified of the toilette. Flush and flee the bathroom. Idk why, maybe because it was because our old toilette was so loud.
That if I tried hard enough I could move things with my mind. Popped a blood vessel doing that...Idk how this fits but I used to call poop turdfish.
That nobody else knew how to lie, Oh boy.
Unless my head was under the covers the sandman would get me.
I was a wizard.
Talking toys (who didn't)
America was the only country

More to come when I think of them. I was pretty ignorant as a child.

:lol::lol::lol:

I used to believe that if my feet stuck out from my sheets in bed, a witch would cut them off and eat them. So I always made sure that my feet where covered.

Also when I was a little kid playing GT1/2, I would always be afraid to race the lap time ghost in the time trail mode, because ghost's scared me.

And from the ages of 6-9, I had an intense fear of space aliens. It was brought on from when I saw the movie Mars Attacks. It's supposed to be a satire, but some of the scenes really scared me!

I believed that airplanes could fly backwards and I could've sworn I had seen one do it. However now it's pretty clear that I dreamt about it and somehow mixed it with reality. :lol:

Edit: A relative of mine had a couple of really nice plastic volvo toy cars, like die-cast nice but made of plastic. He would grab one and roll it back and forth for a little while and when he took his hand off it, there would be a piece of candy lying there. I was totally convinced the car had dispensed the candy but couldn't make it work myself. It never once crossed my mind that he had held the candy in his hand before he touched the car. :lol:

Last edited:
Back