Subaru Viziv Performance Concept - Now the 2022 Subaru WRX

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 128 comments
make it stop
1631435628792.png

This range of Subaru cars really lost their original appeal after 2011 or so. Shame, because I loved the Impreza WRX during the WRC era.

The irony is how it became rather unlikeable after the bloated 2014 model for which Subaru addressed old criticisms about boring and sparse interiors. Turns out that a large part of what made these cars pure and fun was the less is more approach. Sure, it’s admirable that Subaru is keeping the WRX alive as a fun compact, but the rally car for the road charm has faded away.

This range of Subaru cars really lost their original appeal after 2011 or so. Shame, because I loved the Impreza WRX during the WRC era.

The irony is how it became rather unlikeable after the bloated 2014 model for which Subaru addressed old criticisms about boring and sparse interiors. Turns out that a large part of what made these cars pure and fun was the less is more approach. Sure, it’s admirable that Subaru is keeping the WRX alive as a fun compact, but the rally car for the road charm has faded away.
Eh..that interior was still pretty basic and they had the same criticisms. I didn't mind it though and the interior was pretty spacious, unlike some other cars that try to bury you.

I'm sure its a good drive with its 2.5 flat four w/ cvt (LOL)... surely modern CUVs can do better than this.
That drivetrain is woefully inadequate for the cars they put it in. It should not even be offered in the Outback and Forester. I've driven them and they're dangerously slow, really. By the time you get four people in them they're absolute dogs, and anybody who goes adventuring is carrying hundreds of pounds of gear slowing the car down, stressing that lame ass transmission, and making the car virtually useless off-road.

I do get ya man. We have a lot of SUVs here say, 1,600kg 3,600lb and the have a 150hp 150lb/ft 2.0 n/a four.

Hyundais Kias etc.

I think we as a people here are sort of used to slow SUVs?

One of my other cars is a hand me down Nissan Rogue Xtrail and its a 2.5 four cvt but the chassis is 1,450kg and the performance is ok? Like 0-60 is 8 secs.

Its ok unloaded but you notice the sluggishness if you have 4 people on board + luggage.

I think based subarus are tuned slow because I think that's what their owners like?

But the problem here is we have restrictive road speeds and people just want an urban car so a 4 door sedan or SUV with a 2.5 liter four is considered... BIG?

I think that's a big four in the UK as well. Granted, most of the older small hatches with a 1.6 are extremely adequate. It's just not going to fly in the states.
Besides, over here, most will have a diesel for those long journeys and towing.

yes i remember a world where we had 1.6 n/a petrol four cyl. Ford Lasers and 1.8 corollas and with 4 spd automatic these are cars that I cannot really ever drive on a freeway.

I just cannot.

When I made some real money I then bought turbo 4.0 BF Falcons with the 6 spd auto and the 5.7/6.0 V8 Commdores with the 6 spd manual and japanese turbo imports.

We have some nasty roads here like the road from Penrith up to the Blue Mountains and while performance cars are good on it, I would not like to take my 2.5 xtrail up there, let alone a Subaru or a small hatch.

Blue mountains is like 1km or 3,000+ ft above sea level and it takes its toll on small cars. If you have taller mountains with thinner air then yeah, this sounds not good.

I drove that Outback in Casper, Wyoming. The city was at about 5,500 feet and the mountain ridge I drove trails on was about 8,500 feet. With three coworkers and our bags in the back we spent a lot of time at full throttle.

yes i remember a world where we had 1.6 n/a petrol four cyl. Ford Lasers and 1.8 corollas and with 4 spd automatic these are cars that I cannot really ever drive on a freeway.

I just cannot.

When I made some real money I then bought turbo 4.0 BF Falcons with the 6 spd auto and the 5.7/6.0 V8 Commdores with the 6 spd manual and japanese turbo imports.

We have some nasty roads here like the road from Penrith up to the Blue Mountains and while performance cars are good on it, I would not like to take my 2.5 xtrail up there, let alone a Subaru or a small hatch.

Blue mountains is like 1km or 3,000+ ft above sea level and it takes its toll on small cars. If you have taller mountains with thinner air then yeah, this sounds not good.

I used to live in Emu Plains and have in-laws still in Penrith and drove from there to Bathurst(in a BM Mazda3 though). The roads are bad.

Last edited:
Every time I now see an image of the new WRX, I think of an overlanding-style SEMA build that is just missing the cargo rack with 4 Hella lights mounted to the front and the rally mudflaps.

I used to live in Emu Plains and have in-laws still in Penrith and drove from there to Bathurst(in a BM Mazda3 though). The roads are bad.
My past work routes was Penrith station up to Katoomba, Lithgow and then to Bathurst. Favourite car was the 5.7/6.0 V8 6 spd. 2nd was the turbo falcon.

I thought the roads were ok. I guess. Werent as good as the road from Newcastle to Singleton which I think is the best in the country.

I would echo what this gentleman above me said.

A WRX wagon with a slight stretch and cladding with a 6 spd manual would be a good thing.

300kW out of a 2.5 isnt what I would consider 'safe'.

No to CVT.

So I doubt really anyone here would care about a CVT WRX. And given say $50,000 WRX with a manual is very much a tiny market...

Its curtains for Subaru on this regard.

I really have no problem with the cladding. Today I saw a new Outback with the black cladding and it looked nice...on the outside.

I really have no problem with the cladding. Today I saw a new Outback with the black cladding and it looked nice...on the outside.
But that's an Outback. I've seen the new Wilderness edition too and I agree with you - it's supposed to be a lifted, tough, capable off-roader. The WRX is supposed to be the opposite of that.

Last edited:
But that's an Outback. I've seen the new Wilderness edition too and I agree with you - it's supposed to be a lifted, tough, capable off-roader. The WRX is supposed to be the opposite of that.
There is the argument that one of the core reasons why the WRX rose to fame was because of Subaru's success in the World Rally Championship - Those listed qualities are often associated with rally cars.

If the WRX STI replaces the black cladding with body-coloured panels and a lower ride height, it could end up looking like a factory-fitted widebody kit which makes it appealing to an entirely different market to the standard WRX.

Those listed qualities are often associated with rally cars.
And Subaru won in WRC using cars, not trucks.

This this is a sports car:

050220_Prodrive-ColinMcRae-Spain-1996_001_cb6a5_f_1400x788.jpg

And this thing is a sports car with dirt tires:

6h6j1fwxh9l21.jpg

That's not even remotely truckish. There is no cladding. There are no tough fenders and bumpers designed to smash rocks and scrape tree branches. It's just an AWD sports car with dirt tires and that's precisely the magic of rally.

Last edited:
I have to say that the new WRX is growing on me a lot more than I though it would. Where I'm at right now is that, overall, I think its a better looking car than it's predecessor. The cladding still feels incongruous to me...but I think it could look pretty rad with a proper wheel & tire setup. Or just roll with it. Or buy a black one and pretend it isn't there. :lol:

But the details of the design everywhere else just feel better resolved than the current car.

I have to say that the new WRX is growing on me a lot more than I though it would. Where I'm at right now is that, overall, I think its a better looking car than it's predecessor. The cladding still feels incongruous to me...but I think it could look pretty rad with a proper wheel & tire setup. Or just roll with it. Or buy a black one and pretend it isn't there. :lol:

But the details of the design everywhere else just feel better resolved than the current car.
Don't let the industry tell you what you like!

Looking like the STI may also carry the black flares… 😢
4AFE635E-4CEE-46A4-9BCF-1A5B72C41378.jpeg

Pretty tough otherwise though…

All the reviews I've found thus far reveal a competent but somewhat boring car. It's a shame that it doesn't have a bit more vitality. However, most articles I've read complain about lack of power, which I find annoying. Automotive journalists seem totally jaded by high HP cars at this point. A WRX would likely feel like a rocket ship to me and most people I would guess.

Maybe it’s the ease at which new cars accelerate. More refined as the years gone on. Most modern cars are heavier with big power. Could that be the problem?

All the reviews I've found thus far reveal a competent but somewhat boring car. It's a shame that it doesn't have a bit more vitality. However, most articles I've read complain about lack of power, which I find annoying. Automotive journalists seem totally jaded by high HP cars at this point. A WRX would likely feel like a rocket ship to me and most people I would guess.
It is really strange to me also. I own the 1.5l mx5, which has like 130 bhp and it flies up mountain roads faster than is reasonably safe. I just don't understand how anyone can be disappointed by 270+ horsepower.

Maybe it’s the ease at which new cars accelerate. More refined as the years gone on. Most modern cars are heavier with big power. Could that be the problem?

Perhaps, but that shouldn't really apply to the WRX which is not really much heavier than it's ancestor 20 years ago - it's only 150lbs heavier than the 2002 WRX per google, and nobody described that car as slow. It's actually impressive that Subaru has managed to build an AWD performance sedan that weighs less than 3500lbs. Amazingly, it's only gone up in price by about $4,000. That means its $6,000 cheaper than the 2002 car, adjusted for inflation.

Perhaps the bigger engine with less boost is a lot less zingy than the previous car. I can understand it if the car feels like it's underperforming.

It is really strange to me also. I own the 1.5l mx5, which has like 130 bhp and it flies up mountain roads faster than is reasonably safe. I just don't understand how anyone can be disappointed by 270+ horsepower.
Depends on how high the mountains are. Altitude is always forgotten on this subject. Maybe too many journalists are testing in California or something. "I need a good driving road. Off to the mountains at 9000 feet!" Turbochargers are a buffer for the difference, but still.

With that said, surely the last thing the industry needs now is more 350-400+ horsepower cars. Like, all across the board -- from fun sporting driving, to burning less oil, to severe economic anxiety. I've driven an ND just like yours. 👍 👍 As far as I'm concerned, automakers need to get their **** together and build more cars like that with more seats and doors.

Back