Subaru Viziv Performance Concept - Now the 2022 Subaru WRX

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 128 comments
I've always thought maybe Subaru designed the car for "everybody" knowing that the hardcore fans are going to modify it. There's plenty on the table to modify, that's for sure.
I doubt there was that much intentionality to be honest. I think they did the best they could with the platform they were directed to use, which is the same one that underpins the 3-row Subaru Ascent. While I'm sure there is a degree of modularity, I'd also bet that some hard points are relatively fixed and the result is just compromise everywhere. The black cladding isn't there to make the car look rally-ready, it's there to disguise the enormous amounts of sheetmetal above the arches.

Prodrive does the VB WRX. Comes with 30 more hp, upgraded brakes, suspension, and some really nice seats. Quite like what they've done to the fenders too, but still hoping for a better front and rear fascia.

View attachment 1273976

View attachment 1273977
View attachment 1273978
Dear Prodrive: sell this in Australia.

Please.

I've always thought maybe Subaru designed the car for "everybody" knowing that the hardcore fans are going to modify it. There's plenty on the table to modify, that's for sure.
I'm inclined to agree on this. As the owner of a modern STI, the difference between it and my FK8 Type R as a driver's car is quite big. Everything about the STI just feels several steps below in terms of driving feel and enjoyment, but it does make up for it with more luxuries.

The Levorg, which is based on the WRX, gets a lifted, plastic-cladded version called the Levorg Layback

1691078769143.png

1691078773347.png

Previewed here in several official teaser images, the Levorg Layback will essentially be an SUV version of the wagon. Subaru mentions the high-riding version is intended for the Japanese market where preorders are scheduled to kick off on September 7. The model’s debut date hasn’t been specified, but logic tells us the premiere is scheduled to take place when the order books will open or even sooner.

By now, you're probably wondering where the Levorg Layback will be positioned in an already crowded lineup. If we're talking strictly by size, the new SUV should slot between the Forester and Outback in Subaru's domestic market. At home in Japan, Subie also sells the Crosstrek as well as the pint-sized and rather adorable Rex.

Would be interesting to see if they decide to bring this to North America. Would fit nicely between the Crosstrek and Outback

Vermont SportsCar also showed off the all new WRX rally car for the American Rally Association championship

1691078920567.png

1691078936255.png

1691078930282.png

1691078943503.png

1691078947436.png

1691078954766.png

1691078960540.png

Vermont SportsCar built the rally-spec WRX for Subaru to compete in the American Rally Association Championship's Open 4WD class. The engine consists of a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder boxer engine with a 33-millimeter restrictor plate and 22-psi boost limit. The powerplant makes 320 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. A SADEV six-speed sequential transmission sends the output to the all-wheel-drive system.

The exterior features a carbon-fiber widebody kit. Compared to the stock WRX, this one also gains vented panels on the hood and a tall rear wing. The livery combines a matte WR Blue body with yellow accents and the automaker's six-star logo.

The car has a fully seam-welded body shell and an FIA-compliant roll cage. The racing seats support a HANS device for additional protection for the competitors. An 82-liter Kevlar fuel cell replaces the stock gas tank. The class rules require the vehicle to have a minimum weight of 2,900 pounds.

Last edited:
So while the Civic Type R (and even the Si) is still being marked-up by dealers, the WRX seems to be a hard sell. Most of the examples for sale around me are listed for $1-2k below MSRP. I've also not seen too many on the streets. How is it in your area?

So while the Civic Type R (and even the Si) is still being marked-up by dealers, the WRX seems to be a hard sell. Most of the examples for sale around me are listed for $1-2k below MSRP. I've also not seen too many on the streets. How is it in your area?
I've seen exactly one, a semi-regular in the town my job's at. It's certainly a thing that I'll notice but not go out of my way for by any means.

I've seen a couple. The last one I remember was in blue and it didn't look bad except for the plastic at the rear. I don't remember if the arches were painted.

I can't say I've seen Civic Si's more often.

I can see more new WRXs in our area than Civic Si's - but there are a lot of Subarus here, in general, like quite a few Bajas and older WRXs and STi's (plus regular cars like my Crosstrek).

Last edited:
TR, a new trim level for the WRX since there's no STI for this generation

1696724026762.png

Starting with the performance modifications, the WRX TR comes with stiffer springs and revised damping rates, as well as a retuned steering rack compared to the WRX. Subaru promises a sharper steering response and better body control. The set of standard 245/35 R19 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza S007 tires helps increase the grip in wet and dry conditions.

Further upgrades to the brake system include Brembo six-piston front calipers and two-piston rear calipers, all of them painted in red. Larger pads and rotors, as well as a larger brake master cylinder, provide an enhanced stopping power and improved pedal feel compared to the regular WRX.

Power continues to be provided by Subaru’s 2.4-liter turbocharged boxer engine, which delivers 271 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque in this application.

In terms of style enhancements, the TR trim brings new standard Recaro seats for the driver and front passenger. Wrapped in black and gray Ultrasuede material, the seats provide better support for those fast corners. Both seats have Recaro logos embossed on the seatback and the driver’s seat has an eight-way electric adjustment.

Probably the weirdest design fact about the US-spec WRX TR is that it appears to be missing the large fixed wing of the model for the Australian market. Instead, there's an integrated small spoiler in body color. We've reached out to Subaru for a comment and we will update the article if and when we hear back from the automaker.

Back