Subaru Viziv Performance Concept - Now the 2022 Subaru WRX

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 128 comments
United Kingdom
Wreckage, Turn 1
PrecisionXCIV
Subaru is back at it again, providing a deceptively attractive preview of an upcoming model, this time the 5th generation WRX in the form of the Viziv Performance Concept.

subaru-viziv-performance-concept.jpg

In this shot, you can catch a glimpse of the Tesla-like portrait digital display screen on the centre console (no interior shot released yet)

And a better view of the rear diffuser, featuring a similar design to the one found of the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV

The Lexus ISF tailpipes needs to go. And the squared off black fender trim. I doubt it’ll make it to the production version anyway. Otherwise I honestly like it.

Does anyone else see a bit of NSX in those taillights?

Not sure why people seem to think the black fender trim won't be a production feature. Subaru has been doing it for a while now with various models.

subaru-XV-BC.jpg

The second-gen XV did end up looking pretty close to the concept too, how very... un-Subaru. :P
subaru-XV-concept-2016-geneva.jpg

Nothing is ever going to get the community excited about concept subbys after that WRX concept we all loved only to end up getting a completely different car at production.

So I saw some more pictures of the concept on NASIOC, and discovered that the black fender trim is actually carbon fibre. Certainly not the crap cheap-looking black plastic on cars like the Crosstrek, which is a bit of reassurance. Still looks out of place though in my opinion.

So I saw some more pictures of the concept on NASIOC, and discovered that the black fender trim is actually carbon fibre. Certainly not the crap cheap-looking black plastic on cars like the Crosstrek, which is a bit of reassurance. Still looks out of place though in my opinion.

I highly doubt the Carbon Fibre fender trim will make it onto the production WRX, unless it is going head-to-head with the likes of the A45 AMG and Audi RS3 (which is too ambitious from a non-premium brand like Subaru)

If the fender trim does make it onto the production car, expect it to be replaced with a gloss black finish.

I like the general idea behind this. It could use some tweaks. The production version will probably improve some bits, but get rid of the most important things from this concept.

Strange, when I saw the photo in the OP for the first time, this car looked hideous. The second time, yesterday, the car actually looked much better and now, the third time, I actually start to like this concept, even with the strange wheel arches. Although, these wheel arches belong on a SUV (my personal opinion).

Here are some pictures taken from Subaru JP's website:

07.jpg

01.jpg

04.jpg

More here: https://www.subaru.jp/tas/lineup/viziv.html

I think it looks great. I still don't like the single brake light that runs across the rear but otherwise this might be the most aggressive looking STI (concept) ever. The STI sticker on the foglight area is a great throwback to the GD STI. I could do with less red accenting and more WRB with gold wheels though. Hopefully the real thing doesn't stray too far from this.

Doesn't look anywhere near as purposeful as the first two generations and their facelifts. This is all edge and no substance.

Red accents and black panels (they are carbon fibre on the concept, but the production model will probably have a gloss finish) are here to stay seeing as the Civic Type R and i30 N have them.

Interestingly, they appear more pink on the Concept car. That's understandable given the colour of the STI logo, but I can't imagine a sizeable chunk of the target demographic being too fond of having that much pink detailing.

The rear reminds me of the Giulia Quadrifoglio. The shape of the lights and diffuser and the placement of the exhausts are really similar.

DTWzKduV4AANbfS.png

2018-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-15.jpg

New WRX scheduled for release late this year, with STI planned for 12 months later :D

https://www.caradvice.com.au/926488/2022-subaru-wrx-due-in-australian-showrooms-this-year/

80CAA10C-D932-47B2-AD24-0656F0D9E188.jpeg

“While it’s not confirmed we are hopeful of seeing the new Subaru WRX here by the end of this year, pending any unforeseen production delays,” said a Subaru Australia representative...

While the fifth-generation Subaru WRX is yet to be unveiled, these computer-generated images previously published by CarAdviceare a clue to what it might look like...

Also secret is the engine under the bonnet, although speculation overseas suggests the new Subaru WRX will use a version of the 2.4-litre turbocharged horizontally-opposed ‘boxer’ four-cylinder offered in the new Subaru Outback in the US...

If true, that output would be 16kW more than the 197kW/350Nm in the current, fourth-generation Subaru WRX

Meanwhile, CarAdvice has previously reported the flagship Subaru WRX STI is slated to return in 2022, powered by an even higher-output version of the 2.4-litre turbo which, according to some reports, will develop up to 298kW and 489Nm

I’ve been waiting for this car, and am very excited for an unveiling in the near future. :)

Last edited:
I am afraid of what Subaru will do to it nowadays. :indiff: I'm prepared to chalk up another casualty to infotainment-touchscreen madness. Being another CVT-only car with wussy AWD (exclusively in the U.S. market, because CAFE bull:censored:) is less likely.

I like how the earlier posts in the thread are statements that aged to varying degrees :lol:

I'm not surprised the black panels made it onto the production car, especially given the appeal SUV-inspired styling has nowadays.

Back