Suggestion for a first bike?

• Thread starter Fastcarguy
  • 21 comments
United States
Massachusetts
CreamyNute11a
I have been looking at older model Kawasaki Ninja 250's and have been told they are good for a first. If anybody has any suggestions on a first bike, they would be greatly appreciated.

I'd go with something dual sport if your just starting out. Decent power, on and offroad capabilities and can be made pretty fast for not a lot of money. I'd practice on those and when your ready for something quick, then you can upgrade.

Can't go wrong with the Ninja 250.
KLX250 would be a good dual sport.

CBR250 is good as well but they're newer and if your budget is in the older Ninja range, then I can't see a reason why a Ninja wouldn't be the perfect bike for you.

I have been looking at older model Kawasaki Ninja 250's and have been told they are good for a first. If anybody has any suggestions on a first bike, they would be greatly appreciated.
my 1st bike was a 2007 Honda CBR250 Fireblade its the perfect bike for learner riders and also has a decent amount of power I recommend it with the Kawasaki Ninja there a great bike but youll find it rather difficult to ride around towns and on public roads that's when the CBR comes to its own IMO :)

The US didn't get CBR250s until 2011 or so though, and they're holding their value well. Same with Ninjas, but you can still usually find a pretty good deal on one.

I'll suggest a '01 or earlier Suzuki GS500. Easier to work on than a Ninja in my experience, no fairings to break if you accidentally drop it in a parking lot or something, and there's a bit more low-end torque (but still not enough to scare a beginner). They can be found for a similar price as pregen Ninja 250s as well. (Note: I may be slightly biased since I own one. :P)

my 1st bike was a 2007 Honda CBR250 Fireblade its the perfect bike for learner riders and also has a decent amount of power I recommend it with the Kawasaki Ninja there a great bike but youll find it rather difficult to ride around towns and on public roads that's when the CBR comes to its own IMO :)

What's hard about the Ninja?
It has more power than the Honda and it's smoother.

What's hard about the Ninja?
It has more power than the Honda and it's smoother.
Plus the '11+ CBR250r doesn't have enough power to keep up on the highway.

I'm not an expert, but I think a dual sport would be perfect as a 1st bike
if you insist on getting a sport bike, i'd say take a look at a 1987-1999 CBR250r, I've had one and I liked it, revs up to 18-20k rpm, and power comes in after 8k RPM, and enough power to do 120+ mph (I still haven't tried that).

I'm biased, due to my ownership, but I'd say look into a Suzuki GS500. Good power for a learner, good power for a commuter. They have 52hp, and nice ergos (ya know, if you don't muck with it and throw on clubman bars). Easy as all hell to work on. Valve adjustment takes 45 minutes from pulling it into the garage to back out. GSTwins has a member that sells jet kits for $25 for the 2 circuit carbs, $33 for the newer ones. Parts are 90% interchangeable between any gs500 made

89-00 are all naked, with 2 circuit carbs. Dated styling in my book. I had a 93 and put 9k on it in 8 months. Also put a '04 tank/seat on mine. Never got around to making the tail plastics fit

Here's the factory look/seating position
10484_3622241591036_1642214757_n.jpg

And then here's when I 90% finished with it. Clubmans, new style stuff, jetted, side exhaust, lunchbox filter, etc.
733886_10200871588534269_1174400008_n.jpg

2004 and newer are known as GS500F here in 'Murica. They all have fairings. There is no such thing as a stock 04+ naked GS. These have a 3 circuit carb. Supposed to have a little beefier midrange, but lack top end pull compared to the older ones. Down a drag strip, every year runs the same time as every other year.

Suzuki_GS_500_F.jpg

(can you tell I like black and yellow bikes? :lol:)

If its between a Ninja 250 and a CBR250 I'd suggest the Ninja. I'm not certain on it, but the Ninja should be smoother because its a 249cc parallel twin while the CBR is a 249cc single, "Thumper".

Here's the factory look/seating position
10484_3622241591036_1642214757_n.jpg

And then here's when I 90% finished with it. Clubmans, new style stuff, jetted, side exhaust, lunchbox filter, etc.
733886_10200871588534269_1174400008_n.jpg

2004 and newer are known as GS500F here in 'Murica. They all have fairings. There is no such thing as a stock 04+ naked GS. These have a 3 circuit carb. Supposed to have a little beefier midrange, but lack top end pull compared to the older ones. Down a drag strip, every year runs the same time as every other year.
This is you, no?

Do you never wear protective clothes? :scared:

I hope you'll never fall when riding a bike.

What about a Honda Africa twin ?.Honda are in the process of making a new AT at the moment.So the old ones can only go up in value.The original Africa twin is a Dakar style v twin adventure bike.Try one of those, if you can find one.

Nath.

Last edited:
Not many people do actually.
When I had my bike accident, I was wearing protective clothes. My friend, passenger, was wearing simple clothing. I wasn't hurt that bad, besides my left elbow but my friend had to stay in the hospital for 3 weeks.

When he bought his first Ducati, after the accident, the first thing he did was buying protective clothing.

But you probably already know how important protective clothing is when riding motorcycles. :D

Oh you bet I do. But I am just as guilty as he is of not doing it.

Some people just don't care and that's unfortunate.

Oh you bet I do. But I am just as guilty as he is of not doing it.

Some people just don't care and that's unfortunate.
Perfect, honest and intelligent answer except for the part that you're not wearing protective clothing.

I don't ride on the road enough or at all at the moment to really need it though.

I rarely ride these days. When I switch to something more permanent I will definitely invest in protective gear 👍

This is you, no?

Do you never wear protective clothes? :scared:

I hope you'll never fall when riding a bike.

Yes that's me, before I got smart! The first picture was a week into my riding career, the second wasn't long after. I didn't know about gear when I started, but thankfully one of the forums I was on got me looking. Now I've got a good helmet, a pair of casual riding boots (harley) and then some alpine stars racing boots, leather and mesh jackets, and armored gloves.. Still looking for a good pants solution

So most of the time now, I look like this:

321322_10201093324557531_1012681474_n.jpg

And then when I'm posing for a picture, I'll take off my helmet :lol:
1794818_10203313872269836_1230371949_n.jpg

Yes that's me, before I got smart! The first picture was a week into my riding career, the second wasn't long after. I didn't know about gear when I started, but thankfully one of the forums I was on got me looking. Now I've got a good helmet, a pair of casual riding boots (harley) and then some alpine stars racing boots, leather and mesh jackets, and armored gloves.. Still looking for a good pants solution

So most of the time now, I look like this:

👍

I wear overpants from Tour Master, stash 'em on the bike when I get to work. (Bike has gobs of storage, though, FJR with a top case. Without that, I'd hang them up in a closet at work.) Crash tested and approved, and you don't have to "change" when you get somewhere.

Mesh, with knee armor and hip pads. Liners for wet and/or cold. Wouldn't hurt id the hip protection was heavier, that's my only complaint.

I also recommend the 250 ninja. I had a 2012, last of the carby, and it was definitely a nice bike to learn on. Very forgiving, basically bullet proof. Haven't ridden anything else bit can't really see how the Ninja could be better... Ok, EFI would be better... But it's still a very nice package

Have you gotten a bike yet? I started riding 11 years ago and started on my cousins 98 R1 keep in mind that R1 makes ten HP more than modern day 600 sport bikes and weighs more to. I got my cousin and fiance to start on a Yamaha fz6r and they loved it. The issue with the 250 and 300 is after a month you want more bike and the 250s have to be revved out to pass and merge and on the highway they're high in the rpms an tend to vibrate more. My suggestion would be go for a sv650 ninja 650 cbr 500 Fz6r they'd be my top 4 picks for a starter bike. Chances are 600 sport bikes would be to much for you right away, some people are fine starting on a 600sb but they take it very slow and it takes them longer to get comfortable on it.

Back