Suggestion to improve online racing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Potato_Head
  • 32 comments
  • 1,661 views

Potato_Head

(Banned)
Messages
137
Australia
Queensland
Does anyone else think that (at least in the A, B, C races) every car that is one lap down from the leader should:

1. Be a ghost car - Unless the player is extremely uncompetitive, there's no reason other than wrecking to be a lap down on a 3 lap or even a 10 lap race.
2. Not be eligible to set Fastest Laps when ghosted
 
lost a couple races now on the 8 or 9th lap now trying to pass an uncooperative 16th ,15th..place blocker
either hit them and end up losing sr and/or wrecking or end up having to slow down so much that 2nd catchs up and aggressively punts me
either way you end up losing a hard fought race
im high b/b have been s sr but get into one bad race where everyone doesnt care about sr all the sudden and now stuck at b
gotta resist shorter races i guess
 
I agree with Potato_Head. Yes working lapped traffic is part of racing for certain races like IMSA, Nascar, etc. However, lapped traffic (from the same class) gets blue flagged. Some races black flag cars that are too slow (like Nascar). Ghosting, would help solve the problem by preventing bad drivers and a-holes who try to crash other cars on purpose. Moreover, working lapped ghosted traffic doesn't prevent one to work lapped traffic. The purists could still steer around the ghosts.
 
Working the lapped traffic is part of racing.

These often aren't just bad drivers though, these are wreckers. Real life has blue flags, black flags and drivers who aren't trying to crash...

Granted, this doesn't happen much (if at all?) in the S Class SR but down in C, D & E it's so common that coming across a driver who is trying to wreck cars is more likely to happen than not to happen.
 
These often aren't just bad drivers though, these are wreckers. Real life has blue flags, black flags and drivers who aren't trying to crash...

Granted, this doesn't happen much (if at all?) in the S Class SR but down in C, D & E it's so common that coming across a driver who is trying to wreck cars is more likely to happen than not to happen.

So, work your way out of that class.

Unless you want to race with everyone running in ghost mode 100% of the time, there will be challenges to face. THAT is what makes it fun.

Sometimes it works against you and sometimes it works for you.
 
Stop and go penalty would also be neat.
 
So, work your way out of that class.

Unless you want to race with everyone running in ghost mode 100% of the time, there will be challenges to face. THAT is what makes it fun.

Sometimes it works against you and sometimes it works for you.

I have done. In S class Sr now.
 
Well, for me. Not for others who can't get out of B or C.

Why is there such a push to sanitize everything?

If they can't get out of B or C, maybe they should spend more time racing the AI until they get better.

I can't imagine how people handle the real world.

I was tagged from behind at a real track day by a novice rider who didn't obey the track day rules. This happened on my real motorcycle. I got a real concussion. I had real injuries to my ribs, abdominal muscles, and hip. I had to pay to fix real parts and replace a real helmet.

You know what they are doing to make track days better because of that? Nothing. They just repeat the rules.

Suck it up buttercup.
 
Got to A again last night...
Just got to let super aggressive drivers have their space and that position too if they want it and then just keep pace close behind (not too close) until they over shoot a corner or unfortunately take out the next guy and then pass them both
 
Last edited:
You can read, right?

Yes, I can, thank you.

Ghosting lapped traffic though removes a HUGE opportunity. When I see lapped traffic and I am leading, the pressure is on and I start thinking about getting around them with as little time loss as possible, while at the same time, trapping my attacker. If I am behind, I start thinking about how I can use the opportunity to attack.

Ghosting lapped traffic removes an exciting aspect of racing. The suggestion to ghost lapped traffic isn't "improving" online racing at all. It's making it less interesting and sanitizing it for players who aren't good enough (yet) to play with better drivers. In the S level rooms, the lapped drivers move off line or off track. As time passes, the convention will become more prevalent.

I think they should remove the on track reset. If you go off track, then you should have to work your way back onto the track. I find that there is nothing more disruptive to my race than to have a car magically appear out of think air in front of me.
 
I do not lap many cars, I'm not that fast or my races not that long, however I do encounter slow moving cars, which have their advantage especially with drivers hanging on to my bumper. A couple of times now, I have approached right behind the slow car and at the last possible moment moved to the side and overtake, This is often followed by an almighty crash as the following car did not react in time. Such carnage in the rear view :D
 
If they are getting lapped in the 3-4 lap races then they should be ghosted.

If people are getting lapped in 3 or 4 lap races, the match making and/or rating algorithm need to be revisited as they don’t seem to be working ;)

The Player pool is far to small or there be trolls...
 
Slower cars should appear ghosted ONLY to cars that are lapping them. E.g. a 12th place car should appear ghosted to the lead cars, but should not appear ghosted to 11th or 13th place cars. It should depend if the position is at stake.
 
Here is a couple of ideas: when you get remotely close to the car ahead of you, don't just divebomb on the inside of the corner and use him as a brake. Well, I guess that was only one idea.
 
You know how the game automatically makes one car a 'ghost' if it's about to hit another car? It's a fairly good system and works a lot of the time.

PD should use that system as a guide to inform them if someone is a wrecker. It would work well. If a driver is a lap down and has that ghosting system applied to them often enough, there's a good chance they're trying to wreck. The system could then apply, once certain criteria is met, permanent ghosting once a lap down for one week etc,
 
Here is a couple of ideas: when you get remotely close to the car ahead of you, don't just divebomb on the inside of the corner and use him as a brake. Well, I guess that was only one idea.

I kind of doubt that a race leader trying to finish a race would want to divebomb anyone. Especially on the last lap or two of a race. I sure as hell wouldn't want to risk it. Alot of the time the leader is onto a clean race as well..
 
I kind of doubt that a race leader trying to finish a race would want to divebomb anyone. Especially on the last lap or two of a race. I sure as hell wouldn't want to risk it. Alot of the time the leader is onto a clean race as well..

My thoughts are that people like this are wreckers. No one says 'when you get remotely close to the car ahead of you, don't just divebomb on the inside of the corner', unless you're wrecker or someone who is limited to the lowest ranks due to wrecking.
 
You know how the game automatically makes one car a 'ghost' if it's about to hit another car? It's a fairly good system and works a lot of the time.

PD should use that system as a guide to inform them if someone is a wrecker. It would work well. If a driver is a lap down and has that ghosting system applied to them often enough, there's a good chance they're trying to wreck. The system could then apply, once certain criteria is met, permanent ghosting once a lap down for one week etc,

I can't honestly say that I know how the game automatically ghosts any cars. There have been situations where it seemed obvious at least one car should be ghosted, but no car was ghosted. And other situations where it seemed no ghosting is needed, but the game does it anyway. Then there's all the cases where I barely tap the car ahead of me and I get a SR reduction. (Tapping, swapping paint... rubbing is racing. This light contact is not considered unsportsmanlike, it happens all the time and it's normal. Doesn't mean it is encouraged, I try to avoid it, but it does happen regularly even with the best drivers. It's called close competition.) All I'm saying is that the ghosting is inconsistent, which is almost worse than too much ghosting.

I think "wreckers" are better called out by penalties, either drive-through pit or time penalty. You won't see the results immediately but it will show on the race results board.
 
There is no reason not to be SR-S unless your new to the game.

The exact reason there are still so many complaints about contact and ramming still originating out of the highest SR ranking is because it should be harder to obtain and maintain such ranking than presently required by the games ranking system.

Until the top ranking is more difficult to obtain and contact and off track excursions are penalized within the rank more severely it will not be the safe haven for driving attitudes and majority total non contact races that most would like to see it be.
 
I sat behind a couple of megane guys the other day, they were bumping doors for nearly two laps solid, I was surprised the hand of god didn't come out of the sky and pick them both up. They both dropped from DR:S to DR:A at the end of the race.
 
The exact reason there are still so many complaints about contact and ramming still originating out of the highest SR ranking is because it should be harder to obtain and maintain such ranking than presently required by the games ranking system.

Until the top ranking is more difficult to obtain and contact and off track excursions are penalized within the rank more severely it will not be the safe haven for driving attitudes and majority total non contact races that most would like to see it be.

I read something a user mentioned in here, that SR has a hidden value that’s out of 100. The S is (for arguments sake) 90, then 90 isn’t going to be too much different to say A at 89, but if your SR goes blue S, it will go higher and higher so the less adept drivers will slowly be fewer and fewer.

While I don’t know if this is true, I have found that when my SR-S rating has increased to some extent as all my races are clean, only contact is when people are vindictive or make honest mistakes.
Which given that this happens in professional Motorsport would be hard for it to be stamped out using an automated system.
 
I read something a user mentioned in here, that SR has a hidden value that’s out of 100. The S is (for arguments sake) 90, then 90 isn’t going to be too much different to say A at 89, but if your SR goes blue S, it will go higher and higher so the less adept drivers will slowly be fewer and fewer.

While I don’t know if this is true, I have found that when my SR-S rating has increased to some extent as all my races are clean, only contact is when people are vindictive or make honest mistakes.
Which given that this happens in professional Motorsport would be hard for it to be stamped out using an automated system.

Top SR rating is 99 and I think the lowest S ranking is 80. So SR A would have a high of 79 if that is correct.

The problem is not the numbers per say but the ease of obtaining those numbers currently.

I do know from checking out Milouse's link for obtaining personal specs my SR ranking points is 99/99. Once you reach 99 their is no more upward progression possible.
 
Top SR rating is 99 and I think the lowest S ranking is 80. So SR A would have a high of 79 if that is correct.

The problem is not the numbers per say but the ease of obtaining those numbers currently.

I do know from checking out Milouse's link for obtaining personal specs my SR ranking points is 99/99. Once you reach 99 their is no more upward progression possible.
Which makes sense, but at my SR-S rating, what ever it is, I’ve encountered some issues, but when possible I’ve avoided possible problems and the following race I’m with better cleaner drivers and I’m able to drive harder and have much better battles that don’t tank my SR.

I don’t think SR is perfect, and I’ve had my ST tanked to B because of idiots, but it’s not hard to get it back. And then when it’s back to maintain it and have good races.
 
I partially agree with the Potato.

But we should draw a line:

Lapped once in a 3 or less lap race -----> Ghost.
Lapped twice in 3 to 10 lap race --------> Ghost.
Lapped three times or more in a 10+ lap race ----> Ghost.


I also think, like other user here, that the track reset is a non sense in this type of serious competition.
 
Back