Suggestions for El Capitan 200 - now with Race Report!

• Thread starter Duke
  • 108 comments
I found that the TVR T350C, the Jaguar XKR R Performance, and the Shelby Series 1 SC all provided good close races (and 200 Aspec points) against that Lotus. I really enjoy this enduro

If you fiddle the lineups, I think the one somewhere between 7 and 9 after a reset, is beatable in a totally stock used Toyota Supra RZ '97 using its stock SM tyres, although an oil change is required to bring HP back to 325. It will net you 200 A-spec points and the Corvette Grand Sport will be your closest rival.
(There's a report on this in my endurance companion which is linked in my signature, and I'd also suggest you check out the CLUB 200 link too since the El Capitan Endurance race has the highest number of stock 200 point entries of any race there! Hope to see another one from you added soon! 👍 )

Duke
  • Mustang SVO Cobra R - I bought the used one; it'll need a refresh
  • Motorsports Elise - or other Elise?
  • Audi TT 3.2
  • BMW M Coupe - or even the 1 series?
  • Volvo 240 wagon - I have a perverse desire to build this up and use it
I've also got a decent array of prizes, used buys, and one-make entrants. Let's see your recommendations!

For some competition, a Supra would never be excluded :D

Pink_the_Floyd
For some competition, a Supra would never be excluded :D
I'm not a big Supra fan. They're OK, but I am just not that fond of the chassis. Skylines either, i have to say.

I did some practicing last night, and crossed a few cars off my list.

First off, the Volvo wagon will be hopeless, unfortunately. I also ran my Cobra R, and whoever said the car feels much heavier in GT4 was right. It's lost a lot of the feel it had in GT3. It could be made to win, yes, but it's no longer such fun to drive.

The stock Audi TT 3.2 felt the most at home - very planted all the way around the track. It's running 2':04" laps, so maybe a little power and shorter gearing would get it down into the 2':00" range without upsetting the chassis and bringing out understeer. If so, it would be good against the lower half of the AI field as recommended. On the list to develop a little further.

'73 BMW 2002 Turbo looked to be fun, but way underpowered, and I don't want to overbuild that one.

Nismo 270R had promise, particularly against the tighter field. This one is still under consideration.

Somewhat built M Coupe (just under 400 hp) was delivering sub-1':55" laps pretty quickly. Felt good, too; the brakes are phenomenal. So this is a contender against the MSE or Zonda, if I stick with that field.

A fully kitted out Renaultsport Clio 2.0 will worry the Motorsport Elise, and that sublime chassis will still grip with "X"1's. Great fun to chuck about.👍

Also, I haven't tried it but a Prius could keep up by pitting less?
Maybe a bridge too far though.

I was thinking S1 front and S2 rear for best tyre use, but the understeer will be horrific.

And also a slow painful drive.
It would be interesting to see the Hybrid's effect on fuel usage though.

I ran a nice and close 200 pointer in a bone-stock Bathurst RX-7 against the Elise and the Zonda. Eventually though, you learn to really take advantage of the forgiving chassis on the car and you can spout off 1'52's, but tire wear is slightly accelerated, as you can imagine. But still, a rewarding drive I'd immediately do again. 👍

Also, the competition seem to me to be on par of the Nür 4 Hour crowd, so a lot of the same cars you used there won't be too much overkill here. You can prolly get away with a Monaro that's stock, but it might be wise to invest in a flywheel and a new clutch. Tire wear is around 10-11 laps, being that it's 400 kg heavier than the aforementioned RX-7, but it's very gradual and even.

Maybe go for the Elise-in-drag Speedster Turbo.

Cheers,
Jetboy

Here in the UK Takeshi's Castle is on Challenge, with the English commentary by Craig Charles.

Anyway back on topic, perhaps a Supra RZ or a Mazda RX7? Both are FR, so should be good fun on El Capitan. I think it was Smallhorses who used the Supra RZ on this enduro.

ultrabeat
I was thinking S1 front and S2 rear for best tyre use, but the understeer will be horrific.

And also a slow painful drive.
It would be interesting to see the Hybrid's effect on fuel usage though.
Niether of the Priuses use any fuel at all. With the fancy in game HUD on, the game doesn't monitor fuel usage. When you equip and aftermarket tranny, the gas useage is recorded.

Surely the Prius can't keep up though? I've stuffed what I can in mine and it seems to be in the 100s max for BHP..not pitting much if at all can only do so much before lack of speed kills you..

Duke - I see you did'nt test the Clio V6, I reccomend it, it's a brilliant car to drive :)👍

Sounds like one of the races I might just enjoy doing when I get back to my PS2 for times longer than half-an-hour-for-WRS. I'm making my list from this thread... Gonna be my first 200 A-speccer. See, I'm gradually improving. Just like tyre-grip, only opposite.

El Capitan - 200 miles with Lotus Elise 111R
Sport Hard Tyres, Racing Exh. Transmission and Drivetrain all, Engine balancing, Port polish, Weight Reduction 3 -- 214HP against first lineup:

Mercedes SL65 AMG '04
TVR Cerbera Speed Six '97
TVR T350C '03
Lotus Motor Sport Elise '99
Shelby Series 1 SC '03

for easy 200 pts with best lap time 1:53,7
I did the pits every 11 or 12 laps...

Found another car to do it: The 1954 Corvette.

Employ a full custo-tranny, flywheel, driveshaft, and clutch. Also purchase a Sports Chip, and get an oil change. (Should be 179 hp, I might be missing an engine mod or two.) Leave everything else go; the car handles beautifly stock and turns in lap times incredibly close to the AI: 1'58's are not out of reach for it (I was running 2'00.0's, but I'm an aspiring Div 2...so..)

Things to watch for: If your looking to make a rather clean race, watch the main straight, as you'll maybe touch 120 while these guys are knocking off 150+. You'll die accelerating but lordy, does this little brute handle. 👍

But, yeah, deffinitely worth a look. Please take it into consideration. :)

Cheers,
Jetboy

Mayuri Ootsuka
So how well did Duke do in the Enduro?
Well, Duke didn't run it, since yard work and other duties took the window I thought I'd have to run it. However, next chance i get to play, I'm diving into it.
George Morley
Duke - I see you did'nt test the Clio V6, I reccomend it, it's a brilliant car to drive :)👍
I didn't test it, because I have )more or less) recently run the Clio Cup in it. I like the Clio and I have a nice ready-made semi-race car, but I like to spread my driving around, and I'm not eager to jump back into the Clio.
Jetboys427
Found another car to do it: The 1954 Corvette.

Employ a full custo-tranny, flywheel, driveshaft, and clutch. Also purchase a Sports Chip, and get an oil change.
Now there's and interesting suggestion. I have a nice, undriven, red-over-red one sitting in my garage. Sounds like I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Duke
Now there's and interesting suggestion. I have a nice, undriven, red-over-red one sitting in my garage. Sounds like I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem. :)👍 But, I forgot to tell you about the stage 3 weight reduction. :ouch: Just for a check in, it should be somewhere around 1112kg's and have an odd PWR of 6.2 for this race. (For comparison, the Lotus Elan, another great choice, is bone stock at 6.0). You're pretty well toasted if the Exige shows up but the next set of cars will yield a great race.

Cheers,
Jetboy

Jetboys427
Pardon? Mate, you have the wrong game. :lol:

I don't think so Jetboys427, I believe he means the Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88. :sly:

GTfreak666 needs to improve his posting style though, I've read a tonne of his posts littered around the board today and they all lack sentence structure, punctuation and capital letters, not to mention a few bypasses of the swear filter. 👎
Please take a moment to consult GT Planet's Acceptable Use Policy, and adjust your future posts accordingly GTfreak666. :cheers:
You're part of an international forum now, and lazy posting isn't helpful to those folks who're making an effort to read and post in English to the best of their abilities. 👍

Smallhorses
I don't think so Jetboys427, I believe he means the Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88. :sly:
:banghead: That would make more sense.

Smallhorses
GTfreak666 needs to improve his posting style though, I've read a tonne of his posts littered around the board today and they all lack sentence structure, punctuation and capital letters, not to mention a few bypasses of the swear filter. 👎
Please take a moment to consult GT Planet's Acceptable Use Policy, and adjust your future posts accordingly GTfreak666. :cheers:
You're part of an international forum now, and lazy posting isn't helpful to those folks who're making an effort to read and post in English to the best of their abilities. 👍
Well said. 👍

And maybe cut down flooding the boards just a bit. ;)

Cheers,
Jetboy

Would that be overkill? I'm not sure because I haven't used it in the El Capitan Enduro. Good suggestion, might be too easy though.

i think i used the fomula gran torismo for it.

Torismo?

You could'nt have because the Polyphony Gran Turismo comes with Racing Medium tires which are fixed (can't change), and the El Captain Endurence is limited to Sports and Normal tires only.

Back