Suggestions for El Capitan 200 - now with Race Report!

• Thread starter Duke
  • 108 comments
An RR sounds like a fun thing for this track. That progressively-increasing oversteer is fun around a track like El Capitan... Maybe a somewhat power-improved Alpine?
Or, if oversteer is wanted, but RR not, try the Lancia Stratos for some extra sliding, or the Hommel Berlinette for a slightly more calm expirience.
The Lancia will start to drift whenever you get off the throttle - tight control and hard tyres are needed, since it's easy for this car to spin, or burn away the tyres.
The Berlinette, like all MRs, will understeer under braking, but will be happy to do a nice, clean and quick speed-drift around a corner - this actually helped me improve laptimes around El Capitan and Opera Paris... Although, unlike the Stratos, it does those drifts only when actually willingly initiated (Lift-off, then floor it - straightens out in a second).

Another option, keeping to the RR theme, might be the Alpine A110 - sort of Elise-ish in terms of power and weight, could be good fun. In fact the 310 might be good for it too...

On a bit of a retro thing at the moment ;)

No, because I didn't want to do something permanent like weight reduction to it.
Oh, I see. :dopey: Truthfully, it could use more power towards top end, anyhow. I'm sure you could get a 200 point race out of about 225 hp, and I'm really sure the tires will survive about 12-14 laps regardless. That car's handling is spot-on, as are the brakes.

Oh, I see. :dopey: Truthfully, it could use more power towards top end, anyhow. I'm sure you could get a 200 point race out of about 225 hp, and I'm really sure the tires will survive about 12-14 laps regardless. That car's handling is spot-on, as are the brakes.

Yeah, it's a great car. But the redline is a bit.. close.

Another option, keeping to the RR theme, might be the Alpine A110 - sort of Elise-ish in terms of power and weight, could be good fun. In fact the 310 might be good for it too...

On a bit of a retro thing at the moment ;)

As I said before. Actually, I tested the Alpine 310 on El Capitan yesterday. That tricky uphill-downhill turn after the tunnel is a breeze with this one - floor it, keep the steering constant, and the rear will slide a bit, changing the direction of the car. But beware of snap-oversteer.

Here are the complete average lap times:
  1. 2003 Shelby______ Series 1 Super Charged___ 01'59.510
  2. 2003 TVR_________ T350C____________________ 02'00.495
  3. 2000 Chevrolet___ Corvette Z06 (C5)________ 02'00.952
  4. 1999 Dodge_______ Viper GTS________________ 02'01.499
  5. 2004 Mercedes____ SL 65 AMG (R230)_________ 02'02.310
2000 Ruf 3400S

Well, I finally settled on a car and ran the El Capitan 200 today. I didn't end up using any of the cars on my list, an unfortunately I ended up with more of a blowout than I wanted - yet more testimony to the ultimate futility of A-spec points.

I had been trying for a decently close race, as the thread above will attest. My most likely 200-point contender was the Flying Banana, my 396-hp BMW M Coupe. However, after two tries against the second field (listed above), I was only able to keep the pace on S3 tires, and running too short a pit interval to make the race winnable. I could get a few seconds ahead of the Shelby S1, but my front tires would fade and by lap 10 he'd not only have the lead when I pitted, but he'd have several more peak laps before his crew chief called him in. I lightened the car and reduced the power, but I was gunning for 200 A-spec, and even at 196 points I was toast by lap 10. So the Banana went back to the paddock.

Out came my Ruf 3400S, with about 70 miles on it. I tweaked the parts list, opting for the following loadout:

341 hp
1300 kg (a full 185k lighter than the M Coupe)
Chip, race I/E, 3x clutch, Race suspension (mildly tweaked, needed more), race brakes, S2 tires.

I gridded up and was thankfully awarded with 200 A-spec points in the kitty. I haven't driven this car much, or recently, so at the flag I pinned the tach and lost time with wheel spin. I carried more speed through the dogleg right Turn 1, however, and arrived at the braking point for the 180 left sweeper Turn 2 in good position. I turned in from way outside, sneaking inside the Viper GTS after the first apex, then easing wide to take the Z06 on the outside of the second half of the sweeper.

Rather than press my luck, I hung behind the big SL65 through the dunes, then made a clean pass in the tunnel. This left the blue/green TVR in my sights and the S1 about 5 seconds ahead of us. I pressured him all though lap 1, hard enough to make him swipe the abutment at the long bridge, but that long 6 power meant I couldn't get a clean shot at him. I waited, then took him with another inside move at Turn 2 on Lap 2.

The Shelby S1 played the same game - giving ground in the turns, but managing to get back in it early enough to keep me at bay. I never realized how much negative camber that thing has on the rear wheels - must be a swing axle setup. I finally got around him, after a couple minutes of good dogfighting, again between the apexes at Turn 2 on Lap 3. In contrast, with the M Coupe on S3s, I was in the lead about a lap and a half earlier. The 3400S has more top end, but less thrust.

With a clear track and warming tires making the 3400 happy, I put some padding behind me. Luckily it seemed the tires were heat cycling much more evenly in the midengine car. Starting my 9th lap, the tires were still yellow/green instead of yellow/orange. Then, at the Hoopdie, I got a little enthusiastic and spun a 360 on the downhill side. A minor wall scrape would have done cosmetic damage, but I managed to get it pointed the right way without coming to a stop. I lost about 8 or 9 seconds of my padding, with the S1 closing to within 4 seconds by T3 on lap 9. I got back in stride and started widening the gap again.

By the 11th lap, the tires were getting, well, tired, and some gentle understeer was making itself more an more noticeable. This was a decent interval, so I pitted for tires only. I gave up a 10-second lead for an 18-second deficit by the tunnel on Lap 12 (28 seconds on the nose - WTG Digital Nitrate. The pit put me back to 3rd, but I was within moments of taking 2nd when the TVR pitted and gave it to me. A lap or two later, I was given the lead on 14/15 when the Shelby finally went in for tires.

The race was fairly uneventful from here out. I ptted again on 22 without losing the lead, and encountered my first lap traffic in the form of the red AMG on lap 25. I kept the pace with no major offs or shunts, though the right side of the car will need some work after a couple brushes with the bridge wall. I never spun again or had any major collisions with competitors or landscape. Somewhere in my third stint I set my FTOD at 1':53.791", but most of my normal laps were in the 55-56 range.

The Shelby took 4 pits to my 5, but he never managed to challenge me again. I got tires on 11, 22, 33, 44, and 55, and topped up the fuel on the even numbered pits. I had given up expecting to see the Shelby again, but around Lap 60, I put the TVR another lap down and I started to realize that my lead interval was edging closer to my lap ET. Since I wasn't going to have a very close race as I hoped, I pretended I was in 2nd place and began a final push to the finish.

Over the next 6 laps I closed up on the Shelby, duelling my momentum against his horsepower. On Lap 65 I wagged the car around a bit through third quadrant of the course, but I settled down and reeled him in, finally making a good clean pass on him following the hairpin on lap 66. We crossed the finish line with him 1 lap + 0.5xx" behind me.

Ruf 3400S
Overall ET: 2h:11':08.753"
FTOD: 1':53.791"
Avg Lap: 01':59.223"

+1 Lap Shelby S1
+2 Laps TVR 350C, Corvette Z06, Viper GTS
+3 Laps AMG SL65[/B]

Last edited:
I like your suggestions of the Motorsports Elise and the M Coupe/1 series, I'll add the BMW 2002 Turbo. I think I might try it in the Ghia if I can manage, it's pretty lightweight so tire wear should be good.
EDIT: It's good to read the whole thread, isn't it? :lol:

2000 Ruf 3400S .....*snip*

Great writeup Duke, 👍 I enjoyed reading it very much.

Perhaps you could consider moving this post to Race reports section and then use the post as a link to it instead. G.T can then add it to his reference post. Would be a shame to bury it eventually.
Just my 2 cents worth.

AMG.

i b-spec'd this yesterday.... in a stock saleen s7....

won it by about 4sec's, overtaking the zonda with 3laps left......

think it was the closest b-spec race i've ever had/watched......

You could try the Spirra in stock form. I get oversteer at the Mulsanne Kink, so it should be fun when it has worn rear tyres. Or you could try a fully modded Spitfire. :)

xjr-9

I like your suggestions of the Motorsports Elise and the M Coupe/1 series, I'll add the BMW 2002 Turbo. I think I might try it in the Ghia if I can manage, it's pretty lightweight so tire wear should be good.
EDIT: It's good to read the whole thread, isn't it? :lol:
I auditioned the 2002 Turbo, but it was just nowhere near fast enough without a major power buildup... and then it would not have had the spirit of a 2002 anymore. So I left it alone rather than destroy it

Great writeup Duke, 👍 I enjoyed reading it very much.

Perhaps you could consider moving this post to Race reports section and then use the post as a link to it instead. G.T can then add it to his reference post. Would be a shame to bury it eventually.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks! I was planning on doing that; I just didn't have time last night. I think I'll move the whole thread and modify the title.
i b-spec'd this yesterday.... in a stock saleen s7.... won it by about 4sec's, overtaking the zonda with 3laps left.
I was really hoping for a much closer race, but the M Coupe with Lightweight 1 (1330 kgs, a little more than the stock 3400S) and 380hp (a little more than the 3400S as I ran it) fell below 200 A-spec, and was fighting to keep the lead. So I figured the 341hp Super Boxster would be perfect to run for a tight race. However, it ended up being a crush.

Nice race write-up Duke, and I like your car choice. I wouldn't be to upset over the final result. After-all, winning by only one lap in a 66 lap race (196 miles) is certainly a close race, but I do understand that ideally it would be exciting to have a finish of a long race where the front runners are all within sight of each other. Of course that's hard to do when the AI uses all different types of cars, but at least with this race, the AI field has about 11 cars out of the pool of 17 cars that finish very close to one another.

For those interested, just keep resetting the field of AI cars for that race until it doesn't have any of the following cars:
  • 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise
  • 2000 Pagani Zonda C12
  • 2000 Lotus Esprit Sport 350
  • 2003 Shelby Series 1 Super Charged
  • 2004 Proto Motors SPIRRA
In fact, you might even want to make sure the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT10 is also not in the field, to insure a very close finish.

Also, even if it happens I have a car that is obviously pulling ahead of the leading group, I will slow down throughout the race allowing them to pass me. This also allows me to continually practice clean passing techniques throught the race. With about three laps to go, I will let them pass me once more, and then race to the finish line. It is a great way to keep the races exciting, even when using a car that is better than the AI.

Regardless, congrats on a great race!

Nice report, Duke!

I'm going to run this race in a BMW 120d, fully modified with S1 tires, I'm hoping for a close race, I keep you all updated.

Skyline R32 GT-R V-Spec II'94 is quite competitive too in stock form already. I did some suspension tuning and oil change on it, and at the best my lead was 3 seconds+.

With bit more power and dropping weight, plus updating the drivetrain and it's a winner. Tyre wear is a problem though, it's front-heavy, so it tends to wear out front tyres first.. oh well.. I can live with it. Gotta try with other GT-R's as well.

Nice writeup. As for the Shelby's rear camber, it's a glitch on this particular race that sets the camber all the way up. It's happened to me before too, but it's not like that at any other point :)

I did this race yesterday in the Opel Calibra on N2 tires... it was constant squeeling for all 66 laps and tricky at first, and always tricky on brand new tires, Won the race, 2nd place lapped once, but it took me 5 or so laps to pass first place, i was tailing him with everything i had, best lap was 1 Minute 50 seconds, and now I have my lovely minolta :D

Nice writeup. As for the Shelby's rear camber, it's a glitch on this particular race that sets the camber all the way up. It's happened to me before too, but it's not like that at any other point :)

Nope, it's the same on the Laguna Seca endurance... High camber, again.

id say get a bettr car like an slr mclaren then go to legends of the silver arrow then win it in bspec in app. 8 minutes then you win the clk-gtr and then race it with that
You dont win CLK-GTR on Silver Arrow, you win the CLK-Touring.. then use the Touring to play Deutsche Championship to WIN CLK-GTR

Back