Super Touring (TOCA2/WTC/RACE07/GTR2)

France
Nantes
P308R
The Amazing TOCA ?

After all the discussion on GTP about GT6 and with all the negativity that came with it I remembered I said something that TOCA 2 had it all on the PSOne. But is it really that or is it just nostalgia?

note:
This is not a Toca versus Gran Turismo 6 topic ;)

toca1.png

A couple of days have passed and I was wondering if it could still hold it’s own today. I went in the garage and I searched for my old PsOne games. Guess what, I found Toca World Touring Cars! Well why not give it a proper go. I opened the box and there it was, a completely unscratched disc and a lovely manual. After reading through a bit I popped the disc into my PS3 and the little adventure began.

Many tracks are locked in the beginning because I have not finished any championship yet, but the tracks are quite amazing: Oulton Park, Silverstone, Buenos Aires, Mexico, A1, Road America, Ti Aida, Adelaide, Surfers Paradise, Sugo and Bathurst to name a few.
toca4.png

Also the carlist is very well chosen. All fantasy touring cars but with official manufacturers. We have touring cars from: Peugeot, Ford, Fiat, Volvo, Honda, Nissan, Alfa Romeo, Audi, Bmw, Opel, Saab,Chrysler and a few more. There are also a few non-race cars but I haven’t got into that yet.

The cars are locked too. You can unlock more powerful versions as the game progresses. The career exists of a championship mode where in the end you unlock the WTC championship.
toca3.png

To be honest, I thought I would have been shocked but I wasn’t wenn the game fired up. Yes the graphics are dated but still they look quiet awesome. Actually I find it incredible what Codies pushed out of that good old PS One:

• 14 cars on track
  • Detailed tracks and cars
  • Steady framerate
  • Weather (not variable) Sunny, Cloudy, Drizzle, Rain, Storm, Night
  • Pit Stops with repairs and tire changes
  • Mechanical damage
  • Visual damage
  • Parts on track
  • Setups
  • Great AI
  • Exhaust flames
  • Cracking sound
  • Wheel support
  • Cockpit View
  • Animated driver
  • Working Dials
  • Rival Indicator

toca2.png

All that for a game that celebrates it’s 14th birthday this year. I played the game with the DS3. All buttons are configurable and there is even a sensibility option. To start off, I chose to start a championship and I had a few offers from several manufacturers. I chose Fiat and I had to beat a time on Dijon Prenois. After I got the contract and the first round started. It was good old door to door racing. During the race I messed up and I had to pit. Ended my first race as 12th. Strange thing was, I had a smile from ear to ear. I was just very enjoyable. Second race was Monza, the old configuration and this was truly amazing. The AI battled me during the whole race, traded some paint and in the end I came in as fifth.

When the car starts to slide it’s hard to control. Gravel traps really slow you down and you just can't floor your way through the track. Braking is important. Physics of the current generation is obviously more advanced and well as the controller input. Maybe the controls of Superstar V8 Next Challenge would come close to this one.

The starts are action packed, racing through the first corner with all the cars is quite spectacular and while braking there is a good rumble sound and backfires. Races are intense and AI takes different lines and occasionally tries to block or makes errors. If you overtake an you brake to late, the AI overtakes nicely again on the inside. It's aware of your place on the track.

I recorded (off screen, no capturecard) a quick race on Hockenheim National in the rain to show the game and it’s racing. The first one is on the drivers seat and the other one is the regular replay. Wipers work, spray is there but that’s all. There is no standing water or variable spray on the windows.

That said, Toca World Touring Car can still holds it’s on today. It has a lot to offer and it is a very enjoyable and versatile game which still has an edge over many racing games today! I truly hope that Codies are going back to their roots, because what they did during the PsOne era is astonishing!

I am not sure if the game is available in the PS Store, but if it is, BUY IT!

Feel free to discuss :D

Last edited:
You should try TOCA2 on PS1 because it is huge improvement than TOCA WTC. TOCA2 which I spent hours playing as a Nigel Mansell. Probably one of the greatest game ever made.and still is today. I would say Graphics still hold very well to this day too.

Last edited:
You should try TOCA2 on PS1 because it is huge improvement than TOCA1. TOCA2 which I spent hours playing as a Nigel Mansell. Probably one of the greatest game ever made.and still is today. I would say Graphics still hold very well to this day too.

World Touring Cars came after TocA 2.

TOCA2 ,I found as well :D, which I agree is one of the best games ever made.

Yup World Touring Cars came after TOCA2 and it was the last proper TOCA. After on PS2 it became Toca Race Driver which added Ryan McKane, BTCC and DTM. I liked the BTCC part but I found it a bit of a let down. Codies start to move away from what they are/were really good at.

Can someone explain that how on earth it is possible that with the power the PsOne had, Codies was able to create such a nice AI. Alive, challenging, putting up a fight, making errors, fighting each other, Aware! Really, I played this game almost all afternoon and I really would like to know why the current generation of racinggames (PS3 / 360) is just unable to create AI like this. It's certainly not the lack of power :odd:

I hope some of the more knowledgable can clear this up.

It's not a lack of processing power, it's the way that the processing power is being used on the graphics and sounds, rather than the AI. AI programming is hard, there's no doubting that, but if the core technology is there, then why not continue to refine that system?

Thanks for you answer DG_Silva. I understand that programming AI is not easy but if it could be "properly" done on a psone than with more processing power you are able to build more advanced AI. If you have a developement team that is capable and you have the budgets covered why is so much spend on other resources than AI? To promote online play? To be able to create fancier graphics and better sounds?

I have no programming background but I asume that if a game focusses solely on a racing experience than the AI should be no issue and they still would be able to deliver nice graphics and a decent sound system?

Did you give it a try to listen to the sounds in the video in the OP? I find them good. Sounds are a bit steady maybe, wipers, rain, but the overal experience is very satisfying.

I still wonder and trying to figure out what the issue is with the current games...

PCars seems to focus on the "experience" rather then offering endless content. Which I think is good.

An example: If you have 20 cars and 15 tracks in a game and they can offer a real racing experience (everything that comes with it), the game will have a huge lasting appeal!

I think it's time for an American to jump in. I had to see which one you were talking about for sure, but this game is great. I still go back and play it from time to time. There is one big difference between the NA release and the rest of the world, ours was called 'Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing'. A bit of deception as those were big NASCAR names, but I've not heard a foul word about the game, ever.

I played TOCA 1 within the last year, or attempted anyway as I couldn't finish the first race with any car. I but this in immediately afterward and played for three hours, about two longer than I had intended.

Thanks for you answer DG_Silva. I understand that programming AI is not easy but if it could be "properly" done on a psone than with more processing power you are able to build more advanced AI. If you have a developement team that is capable and you have the budgets covered why is so much spend on other resources than AI? To promote online play? To be able to create fancier graphics and better sounds?

I have no programming background but I asume that if a game focusses solely on a racing experience than the AI should be no issue and they still would be able to deliver nice graphics and a decent sound system?

I completely agree with you, but the problem is AI doesn't sell games, it's pretty fanboi graphics and sounds that make YouTube videos look good. In the early to mid 90s, most games were sold on the strength of magazine reviews, which would be able to point out things like AI, career modes, etc. Nowadays, games tend to be sold on the strength of graphics and the name of a brand, that's why the NFS games sell well, that's why the Colin McRae games moved to DiRT, then DiRT 3 dropped the Colin McRae from the title, that's why the new CM game is likely to be another GRiD title. Why bother programming a decent AI when you can make it appeal to the kiddies and the casuals? Brand loyalty is a stronger pull than the quality of the game (COD has proved that time and time again), and it seems to be pCARS is going to have a tough time of things this year. But, and this is not sounding like a fanboi, I think that pCARS has the complete package.

ours was called 'Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing'. A bit of deception as those were big NASCAR names, but I've not heard a foul word about the game, ever.

I played TOCA 1 within the last year, or attempted anyway as I couldn't finish the first race with any car. I but this in immediately afterward and played for three hours, about two longer than I had intended.

Yes now I remember! Thanks for bringing up that name. It was changed to atract the American audience I think. I find it amazing that there is someone else in here who plays it occasionally :D

I completely agree with you, but the problem is AI doesn't sell games, it's pretty fanboi graphics and sounds that make YouTube videos look good. In the early to mid 90s, most games were sold on the strength of magazine reviews, which would be able to point out things like AI, career modes, etc. NBut, and this is not sounding like a fanboi, I think that pCARS has the complete package.

That's quite concerning and also very sad to waiste huge budgets just like that. Games are not only for teenagers but also for adults and you see with the later group the currently very frustrated with certain games, franchises. GT, Forza, COD, Battlefield, FF etc etc...

A strategy might work for several years but you start to see a change again. Let's hope the future has some nice surprises :D

There is one big difference between the NA release and the rest of the world, ours was called 'Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing'. A bit of deception as those were big NASCAR names...
Yeah, I found that out upon googling this game. I've probably seen it before, but with a name like that I would have never even picked it up to look at the back of the case. :lol:

Interior views, 14-car grids, weather and all? I might have to try this one.

I forgot all about this game wich is strange cause I played the hell out of it. Sure I still have it somewhere in a box. PS one days were great for race game fans. So much to choose from.

It is my favorite racing game of all time. I never liked toca 2 as much as I did this one.

The tracks, the cars, the racing and sounds are fantastic. I still play this game often.

The Ps2 race driver games were also pretty good, but something was lacking.

The grid games were just awfull and I really hope codemasters will bring the toca back in the racing. But I do think it's wishfull thinking...

That's quite concerning and also very sad to waiste huge budgets just like that. Games are not only for teenagers but also for adults and you see with the later group the currently very frustrated with certain games, franchises. GT, Forza, COD, Battlefield, FF etc etc...

A strategy might work for several years but you start to see a change again. Let's hope the future has some nice surprises :D

I completely agree with you, but we blindly buy the next installment of the game, hoping that the issues that plagues the previous version will be fixed, whilst getting an inferior product instead. I'm hoping that some good games which buck the trend will sell well and catch the big developers and producers out.

I loved these games too. The AI could be a little harsh at times but you just had to learn to drive as aggressively as them (though in truth they were a little too prone to ramming, more so than you see in real life BTCC).

I think my favourite was TOCA 2 as I liked some of the more novelty tracks such as Loch Rannoch (sp?) and the one where you could take a shortcut through a kind of shopping mall. Not overly realistic but fun and you still had the core of the genuine BTCC tracks in place.

I liked Race Driver 3 on the PS2 also, you got a lot of bang for your buck with that, and some awesome cars (and trucks!)

TWTC is the reason why I love Okayama circuit more than I probably should. Always had a blast racing there no matter what position I ended up in. I also have this game to thank for giving me a first taste of Mount Panorama's formidable nature.

I don't know why, but I stopped playing just after I reached the final championship a long time ago. If I still had my last save and a working PS2, I'd definitely try finishing what I started. Though I'd enjoy doing it from scratch again anyway.

I think my favourite was TOCA 2 as I liked some of the more novelty tracks such as Loch Rannoch (sp?) and the one where you could take a shortcut through a kind of shopping mall. Not overly realistic but fun and you still had the core of the genuine BTCC tracks in place.

I had TOCA 2 long before getting TWTC. But even with the bonus content, there wasn't enough of it to keep me interested for more than a few weeks. By that point I was spending most of my time messing around with the Grinnall Scorpion on the test track and Alpine Climb.

Also, I don't recall Downtown USA (track with the shopping mall) or the Bavaria track. Can't find any videos or screenshots of the latter, either.

I liked Race Driver 3 on the PS2 also, you got a lot of bang for your buck with that, and some awesome cars (and trucks!)

RD3 was my favourite PS2 offering. It had the most eclectic mix if events in the entire series and they rarely disappointed.

The first game had a terribly pointless backstory with terrible virtual actors, and I could never get enough points in the stock car events to get me into the world championship, but the BTCC and DTM events were great. I didn't get much hand-on time with RD2 though aside from the demo, so I can't give my words on that.

Last edited:
I'll update in here because I don't want to "polute" the pCARS forum ;)

TOCA2 is a game made by Codemasters and it was released for PSONE and PC in the year 1999. It contains the Official BTCC series of the year 1998 with all the rules, cars and drivers. Tiff Needell guided the player through the championship.

More info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOCA_2_Touring_Cars

With all the excitement of pCARS and decided to search for my old TOCA2 CD. I have the psone version as well but the quality of the image is very low.

Installed TOCA2 on Windows 7. Needed to change a file with a hex-editor and after it started very smoothly. Even on my laptop I was able to put all on max :lol: (Core I3 with Intel Chipset)

There's a better way now... the rather amazing Zeus over at nGlide has fixed ToCA 2! You just need to swap a value in a hex editor. I used HxD (http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD) then selected the block to change and right-click > Fill Selection to change it.
Note: to install, open the CD-ROM and double-click SETUP.EXE, as the launcher doesn't seem to work any more.

Unpatched, original ToCA2 from CD-ROM:
1. Open TC2.exe with hex editor
2. Scroll down to offset 0x706ED (row 000706E0, column 0D) and change 7E to EB
3. Save TC2.exe and play!

Patched 4.1 version (patch here http://www.patches-scrolls.com/dl.php?file=toca2p41.zip):
1. Open TC2.exe with hex editor
2. Scroll down to offset 0x7426D (row 00074260, column 0D) and change 7E to EB
3. Save TC2.exe and play!
It will then load quickly when you start a race, instead of taking over an hour!
Credit: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=703

1. Championship Introduction and Qualifying at Thruxton

2. Quickrace at Oulton Park

3. Quickrace at Donington with BTCC '97 MOD

In the videos above the AI runs at MEDIUM. EXPERT AI will come a bit later as well as the different weather conditions.

Still I hope you guys enjoy this small nostalgic trip :D

Last edited:
I think it's time for an American to jump in. I had to see which one you were talking about for sure, but this game is great. I still go back and play it from time to time. There is one big difference between the NA release and the rest of the world, ours was called 'Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing'. A bit of deception as those were big NASCAR names, but I've not heard a foul word about the game, ever.

Apologies for replying to a year-old post, but I just got here through the pCARS forum.
There was actually another level to the NASCAR deception: At the time of release, Dale Jarrett & Bobby Labonte were at the top of the NASCAR world. Dale was the 1999 Winston Cup champion and the 2000 Daytona 500 Winner, while Bobby won the Winston Cup in 2000. Getting them to endorse a PS1 game from across the pond was a huge coup for Codemasters.
Or was it? Upon entering the game you discover that the Jarrett and Labonte in question are actually Jason Jarrett and Justin Labonte, Dale's son and Bobby's nephew, respectively. Neither one was a NASCAR Cup star at the time, and never even came close to being one after that.
On top of that, they dragged poor old Ned Jarrett into the studio and made him pronounce all the names of the foreign tracks as the games voiceover man. I still remember him telling me I was about to race at D'Joan.

Thank you for this great contribution :lol: I am really new to all this recording on pc so give it some time and I probably will improve ;)

Meanwhile at Knockhill :D

I have played for years and years on the consoles and I thought PCgaming wasn't something for me due to the high-end specs that where needed and all the hassle of installing games. But since my experience with STEAM my opinion has changed a bit. I am still not going to buy a high end gaming pc but I found some older games that run perfectly fine on a simple machine with today's specs. Also the installation process through STEAM is great and it's the first time I really started to enjoy playing games on a pc. So with RACE07 and a few Add-ons loaded I am a very happy person. I play with a DS3 connected to my PC (running the Scarlet drivers) The immersion I get in this game is simply awesome. The whole sound when running through the gears, braking, going of track is something great. I have the feeling to be inside a racecar.

People say that withh a very good racing game, graphics are less important and it's true. I couldn't have made a better investment at the moment!

The Mod is up and running and it's something spectacular. I know the game is quite a few years old (RACE07) but it's racing, physics, sound and options is just mindblowing. If you are looking for a great simulation and you have a few €'oos to spare get RACE07 through STEAM.

Back