Super Touring (TOCA2/WTC/RACE07/GTR2)

Super Touring Evolution mod coming very soon from yours truly :) https://www.facebook.com/FRMFuriRaceMods/

I tried the current mod for GTR2 and man you guys did a hell of a job. Everything is there for the real touringcar fan. Ran only Donington and Oulton. Cars handle great, AI battles everywhere and still looks decent enough these days.

To see all those machines from the French Touringcar 'Championship is freakin cool :bowdown:

Last edited:
Man, I haven't played Race 07 in time. I seem to recall I had to uninstall it completely due to non-functioning mods and the vanilla game is... vanilla.

Might have to see if I can fire it up again soon.

Man, I haven't played Race 07 in time. I seem to recall I had to uninstall it completely due to non-functioning mods and the vanilla game is... vanilla.

Might have to see if I can fire it up again soon.

If you have GTR2 as well, I'd suggest you install that one with the Super Touring Mod from @Furinkazen 👍

Vid incoming... tomorrow...:D

I happen to have been playing GTR2 lately. I'm going to need to redownload it though because I needed space due to the 17 GB of mods I had. :crazy: I'll need to take a look at that Super Touring business from Furi.

I happen to have been playing GTR2 lately. I'm going to need to redownload it though because I needed space due to the 17 GB of mods I had. :crazy: I'll need to take a look at that Super Touring business from Furi.

Spent all night doing special endurance talent files, yawn.... glamourous life being a modder.

Small test race to check out recording settings and stuff. Yannick Dalmas in his Peugeot 405 MI16 :D

God i'm glad I replaced those transmission sounds... Peugeot 405 is the only ST car from Europe I haven't reworked yet.... that and the Toyota's from the Asian series.

EDIT I see the BMW of ORECA, well this is what it looks like now.

unknown.png

Last edited:
God i'm glad I replaced those transmission sounds... Peugeot 405 is the only ST car from Europe I haven't reworked yet.... that and the Toyota's from the Asian series.

I think they get the job done ;)

Really lovely to see those cars, but there is one that I am missing....missing..missing...

Super Production machinery from the 80ties :bowdown:

505-01.jpg

5225.jpg

I think they get the job done ;)

Really lovely to see those cars, but there is one that I am missing....missing..missing...

Super Production machinery from the 80ties :bowdown:

505-01.jpg

5225.jpg

RE Transmission sounds, well I got permission to use the AC Primera GT sounds, soooo some new idle / gearbox / limiter / start-up sounds ;)

Also Alfa sounds like a Boxer now, and BMW sounds BMW-like. Mondeo now whines like Nigel Mansell in early Mk1 form.

Glad to see the older sims still getting some love. You guys know what program opens .GTR files? I can't remember,and nogrips forums been closed for some time.
'

I am struggling a bit with the general framerate. My pc is more than fast enough for this game but still during replays it has a framerate all over the place. Any tips to improve on this? Or does it depend the track maybe?

@Furinkazen Aiello's 405 is lefthanddrive btw ;)

Last edited:
Glad to see the older sims still getting some love. You guys know what program opens .GTR files? I can't remember,and nogrips forums been closed for some time.
'
GEDITOR.

I am struggling a bit with the general framerate. My pc is more than fast enough for this game but still during replays it has a framerate all over the place. Any tips to improve on this? Or does it depend the track maybe?

@Furinkazen Aiello's 405 is lefthanddrive btw ;)

Not got a LHD version of the 405.... yet....

Rebringing bringing this from the dead again 🤣

Attachments

• SLES-02572_2023-09-09_15-39-37~2.png
    SLES-02572_2023-09-09_15-39-37~2.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 6
  • SLES-02572_2023-09-09_15-39-49~2.png
    SLES-02572_2023-09-09_15-39-49~2.png
    209.6 KB · Views: 7
  • SLES-02572_2023-09-09_15-27-45~2.png
    SLES-02572_2023-09-09_15-27-45~2.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 7
  • SLES-02572_2023-09-09_15-38-07~2.png
    SLES-02572_2023-09-09_15-38-07~2.png
    225 KB · Views: 7
As a kid I loved TOCA2, it was THE perfect racing game because it had everything. It felt brilliant, the handling was out of this world. Not just the BTCC cars, my favourite was probably the Formula Ford which was so much fun to slide around Silverstone. It was the best racing game ever, and I remember being desperate for TOCA 3.

And it never came. Instead we got TOCA World Touring Cars and I hated it, because it was all wrong. Firstly the handling was different, you could no longer lose the rear end by cornering too hard, which took away the jeopardy. The liveries were fictional, it no longer had that authenticity, lots of the British tracks were gone, I was gutted with it, horrible sequel and not what I wanted at all.

But I revisited it a year or two ago and was amazed at how advanced it was for a PS1 game. Even visually - I bloody hate the look of most PS1 games these days, they just look terrible, but TWTC is so solid, the draw distance is good, the frame rate is good, it handles all those cars on track at once with weather, full damage etc, it still has qualifying, pit stops, strategies, basically takes all that was good shout TOCA 2 and takes it global to all these different regional championships with their own flavour. It’s an insanely good achievement.

I still maintain TOCA2 is better, or at least I prefer it. The handling isn’t as good, the actual driving feel isn’t as good. But everything around it was remarkable what they managed to do with it and you can see ideas in this game that carried forward into GRID games to this day.

TOCA and TOCA WTC are the games I've played thé most on PS1. I got nostlagic this weekend so I fired up the emulator.

I would love Sony to bring full PS1 support that can run those old games with enchantements and let me use a wheel. I think there are still many fun hours left in those older titles.

Or simply a touring car game which let you take a brand, model and build différent tourers for différent classes competing on local, national and international scale.

Hopes 🤣

TOCA and TOCA WTC are the games I've played thé most on PS1. I got nostlagic this weekend so I fired up the emulator.

I would love Sony to bring full PS1 support that can run those old games with enchantements and let me use a wheel. I think there are still many fun hours left in those older titles.

Or simply a touring car game which let you take a brand, model and build différent tourers for différent classes competing on local, national and international scale.

Hopes 🤣
If sony included toca 1 and 2 on ps premium I would subscribe just for that.

Those game were way ahead of their time, the handling was fantastic for a ps1 game, that is without mentioning the weather and damage systems which were also incredible.

Same goes for Colin mcrae rally, codematers were on fire in the ps1 generation, they still put out some good stuff but I don't think they will ever hit those heights again... prove me wrong EA WRC 🤞

I’ve always got time for TOCA. Unforgettable experiences with the franchise. Even a team back in 1995/1996, made a variant of my current personal car into a real life Super Touring car(my avatar :) ).

If sony included toca 1 and 2 on ps premium I would subscribe just for that.

Those game were way ahead of their time, the handling was fantastic for a ps1 game, that is without mentioning the weather and damage systems which were also incredible.

Same goes for Colin mcrae rally, codematers were on fire in the ps1 generation, they still put out some good stuff but I don't think they will ever hit those heights again... prove me wrong EA WRC 🤞
That'd be amazing, but Codemasters would need to obtain the licenses all over again, which would never happen.

Codemasters made some truly fantastic sims back in the PS1 days, it's a shame they veered so far away from that.

Last edited:
If anyone has a Steam Deck, get yourself some Emulation set up, so you can replay these PS1 / PS2 classic TOCA games. Plays great!

That'd be amazing, but Codemasters would need to obtain the licenses all over again, which would never happen.

Codemasters made some truly fantastic sims back in the PS1 days, it's a shame they veered so far away from that.
To be fair to Codemasters, I'm not really sure they DID veer that far away - sure the DIRT and GRID era definitely, but lately with the F1 series, DIRT Rally/EA WRC etc etc, I feel like the sprit of those earlier games is back at least to a degree. I think DIRT Rally is kinda the natural modern day successor to Colin McRae, even down to the 2.0 nod in the title. Hoping EA WRC will be equally so.

And there are ideas and styles in GRID Legends that you can trace directly back to TOCA WTC. Codemasters get a bit of stick these days but I'm glad they still do what they do.

Back