• Thread starter jonboy1066
  • 71 comments
UKOG-jonboy
jonboy1066
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/937/937603p1.html

Here's the oficial release:

The Drive Of Your Life!

System 3 and Eutechnyx team up once more for SuperCar Challenge

System 3 today announced the development of SuperCar Challenge for the PlayStation 3, a high-octane racing game featuring both arcade and simulation tarmac thrills.
Building on the critically acclaimed Ferrari Challenge racing simulation engine, SuperCar Challenge heralds the addition of the sexiest supercars on the planet while improving on its spiritual prequel in every way.
Over 40 cars will be available to throw around the most celebrated corners on the racing calendar. Experience the thrills and spills that come with harnessing the full grunt of an Aston Martin DB9, the Lamborghini Murcielago RGT, the McLaren F1 and many more! Of course, the game caters for the Ferrari fans too with a selection of favourites making the cut from 2008’s Ferrari Challenge.
More than 20 tracks will also be available, with old favourites such as Silverstone and Spa mixed in with the joys of Nürbergring. More new tracks will be announced over the coming months.

Eyes Wide Shut
Players young and old, veteran or novice will be able to enjoy the look and feel of a real supercar thanks to brand new additions to the handling modes, with the ultimate aim being to graduate players through to full simulation handling.

Assist Mode – race with all the assists switched onto full. An amazing way to learn how to drive a supercar and learn the track, but also just great fun. Tear around a track without fear of screwing things up because you forgot to break at just the right time. This makes the game accessible to so many more people and will even see your gran cruising around Silverstone on a Sunday afternoon with a smile on her face!
Arcade – the power of a supercar with forgiving handling and more powerful brakes. Performance off road will be less but nowhere near as much as in Simulation mode. Breaking into corners and accelerating out of corners is far more straightforward and there’s no need to worry about spinning out all the time. You can REALLY throw your car around a corner and have fun whilst doing it. Don’t forget though – your opponents will be just as aggressive!
Simulation – the critically acclaimed handling returns. Drop your concentration for one second and it could mean you’re out of the race! For the hardcore simulation fans only, albeit with the option to change any of the assist settings.

Gimme A Break!
Your opponents’ artificial intelligence has also been completely rewritten with a brand new Dynamic AI setting allowing the game to change the challenge you receive based on how well or badly your career is going. Of course, if you fancy a real challenge you can always set the AI to Legendary… strap yourselves in tightly though because it won’t be an easy ride! (pto)

SuperCar Challenge – The Facts
- Over 40 different cars ranging from the Lamborghini Murcielago RGT, to the Aston Martin DB9, to the McLaren F1, to our previous favourite the Ferrari FXX.
- Over 20 tracks, from favourites such as Silverstone and Nürburgring to less well known greats such as Mugello Italy.
- Trophy mode, Career mode (more details to be announced soon), Arcade mode, Quick Race and 16-player online/LAN multiplayer.
- Ferrari Challenge’s praised livery creation tool has been taken and improved considerably.
- Dynamic AI: rival drivers will get better or worse depending on how you race so you’ll always have a decent challenge going on around you. Of course, should you wish to have consistent AI you can switch this mode off.
- Graphical overhaul: in terms of textures, poly counts, scenery, backdrops, particle effects and (perhaps most importantly) framerate, everything has been improved.
- Improved sound: every engine rev, screech and impact has been tirelessly recorded and re-recorded on the field. Voiceovers and commentary from Tiff Needell!

Format: PS3 (platform exclusive)
Publisher: System 3 Software Ltd Developer: Eutechnyx
Multiplayer: 1-16 LAN & Online Release: Spring 2009

About System 3
Formed in 1982 System 3 is globally renowned for heartwarming entertainment experiences that formed the very foundations of the modern videogames we know and love today.
From the behemoth that was The Last Ninja, to the platforming brilliance of MYTH: History In The Making, to the legendary status of International Karate and the joyous simplicity of Putty Squad, System 3 has been responsible for some of the greatest videogames of the past 27 years.
System 3 is currently building towards the release of Williams Pinball Classics (PSP, PS2, Wii), PowerPlay Pool (DS) and SuperCar Challenge (PS3) in Q1 2009.

Looks good, hopefully they've learned from the mistakes of Ferrari Challenge, if so, put together with all that was right with FC:TP and all that's being improved from FC:TP, we'll have an awesome racer on our hands on the PS3.

Who needs GT :sly:

Excellent! The probelm with Ferrari Challenge was the fact it was just Ferrari's Yay for not just Ferrari's this time!

If it will be good and released so soon, it really puts PD's commitment to develope games, to a strange light.

Must buy.

Must buy.

:sly: rent before buying is a good standard , hate to see anyone lose $50-$60 bucks and get disapointed, but back to the thread , it does sound cool , A MUST RENT TO TRY GAME.

40 cars is little bit short compared to the 50 in FC they have promised (still waiting for the other 25). 20 tracks then is very nice. FC was a good game in the basic, hopefully they will now do it right and give more value for money.

Not gonna buy it full price though. budget title after buying FC. Not expecting it to be much better since it will be released so soon after FC.

Never seen game renting here to be honest , would be nice ;P

40 cars is little bit short compared to the 50 in FC they have promised (still waiting for the other 25). 20 tracks then is very nice. FC was a good game in the basic, hopefully they will now do it right and give more value for money.

Not gonna buy it full price though. budget title after buying FC. Not expecting it to be much better since it will be released so soon after FC.

Having been playing FC the last few days I actually noticed one of the hints while playing the trophy races mentions "accumulate money through trophy races to collect all 22 cars" (or something along the lines of that). So we are missing 28 cars all up.

Hmm......If the guys make the sim that the PS3 is crying out for and they drop the garish colours of FC this could the one to clean up for them while we wait for GT5...FC didn't quite cut it with it's drawn out patch after patch release fiasco

Looking at the images they've released it seems they've simply got FC and tacked on a bunch of supercars.........the same old colour pallets there and the backgrounds look absoloutly dire I know this will be from an early build but the pics really are not a good. I'm not convinced yet.

Last edited:

What a bummer dude !!!! How do you go about trying out a game before you buy it to see if you really and truly like it ? If you go out and buy a game,thens it turns out that is really terrible (gameplay) or personal reason , then your out $40,$50,$60 bucks,:ouch:.

What a bummer dude !!!! How do you go about trying out a game before you buy it to see if you really and truly like it ? If you go out and buy a game,thens it turns out that is really terrible (gameplay) or personal reason , then your out $40,$50,$60 bucks,:ouch:.

I usually pre-order my games online and if I really hate them. I put them on e-bay. New games tend to give about 70% of the price back.

Over here you can rent for a week and it cost's just $5.00 , good way to try one out , feel really bad for you guys , no renting , SUCKS !!!!!

Well reading lot of reviews, maybe some of my friends have it and ofcourse demo's. But sometimes you spill some bucks but most games i bought for ps3 i seem to like (luckily) :P and if you spill bucks in europe its (80+ dollar) :nervous:

If it will be good and released so soon, it really puts PD's commitment to develope games, to a strange light.

Must buy.

They're both completely different beast. GT5 like its predecessor will push the limit of what the PS3 is capable of. Like Killzone 2, it will take time to develop the game and then optimising best performance. Super Car Challenge like Ferrari Challenge (which I bought), will cater to a niche market. If System 3 could improve upon the promise that FC showed, we could be in for a real treat. To me its main competitor is going to be on another system- Race Pro for the 360. But as a single console owner, I plan to buy this game. One advantage that SCC has over Race Pro is that you can use Logitech wheel (including the G25) with it while the 360 has limitation when it comes to wheel compatibility.

A Dev posted this on their forums:

SuperCar Challenge FAQ

Q. What kinds of tracks can we expect?
A. There will be a variety, including licensed tracks, street circuits, and custom tracks created by the Eutechnyx team.

Q. What kinds of cars can we expect?
A. All the vehicles in SuperCar Challenge are licensed reproductions. Beyond the images already posted in the SCC forum, we are not prepared to release further specifics.

Q. Will there be weather?
A. Yes.

Q. Will all screen resolutions be supported?
A. Yes.

Q. Will there be a credit system, if so how will it work?
A. Yes. The credit system will be better balanced than the one used in Ferrari Challenge, and credits will be used for more than just buying cars.

Q. Will the game have trophies and Home support?
A. It will have trophies but not Home support.

Q. What kinds of in-game driving views will there be?
A. There will be a total of 7 views (2 interior: dash, and drivers eye view.)

Q. What framerate will the game run at?
A. It will run at 30fps.

Q. Will there be custom liveries?
A. Yes, and there will be a lot more livery options than in Ferrari Challenge.

Q. How does the game interface compare to Ferrari Challenge?
A. We have worked very hard on the front end (user interface) of the new title, and we're positive you'll find it a great improvement in terms of design, clarity, and functionality.

Q. What about Time Trial Mode and its features?
A. Our new Time Trial Mode will have replays that can be saved and also an integrated leaderboard system.

Q. What have you done to prevent corner cutting in Time Trial Mode?
A. We are enhancing the penalty system, and will continue to refine this if necessary.

Q. How many of the 40 cars will you be able to use in career mode?
A. All of them.

Q. Will there be a way to have 'free practice' on a track?
A. Yes, and you'll be able to tune the vehicles.

Q. Has the online 'stuttering' issue of Ferrari Challenge been addressed?
A. We are looking at this and working hard to improve it in SuperCars.

Q. Will the user be able to create private rooms for online racing?
A. Yes.

Q. Will the user be able to search through a list of available rooms to race in?
A. Yes.

Q. Will the game have better coms in the online rooms?
A. Yes they will. We are now using the updated Sony libraries which give better performance.

Q. Will the host of a room be able to turn collisions on or off?
A. Yes.

Q. Will the host, or the players be allowed to 'boot' another racer?
A. This has yet to be decided.

Q. What about including a player created livery into SuperCars, by either a contest or in some other way?
A. Possibly. Stay tuned for future announcements.

I just saw some screeshots of this game and I am pretty excited to rent this game and drive a virtual Ferrari FXX.

I agree with Hereward it looks too simular to Ferrari Challenge, and half of the 40 cars in it will probably be the Ferraris from Ferrari Challenge as well.

2 things have to happen for this to work properly, if you say race a porsche, online I hope that all the cars on the track don't have to be porsches.....ie a car class system which works needs to be put in place. also a tuning system which is equal at least to GT5's quick tune system.
I do like FC alot but with Ferraris it works I'm not sure if one make races will work in supercar? And please let there ACTUALY be 40 cars in there and not "promised DLC" that never arives like on FC.
I really want to like this game and I will buy it but I'm seriously dubious with the development time and the farceical patchathon that was the FC launch.

There were 50 cars in FC. 28 were F430 challenge cars. That counts doesn't it :(

28??? I never knew that.

And as for DLC...if they promise DLC for this game then I won't be expecting anything at all. The FC DLC was meant to come in August I think and it hasn't been released.

As I happen to like the FC layout, I'll probably enjoy this as well -- as a used copy. :)

After Ferrari Challenge, I'll probably give this a rent. If it's similar, I may like it now that I have my Playseat, because FC rocked my DFGT all around.

New pictures from this upcoming game have been posted today. For those of you that don't play Ferrari Challenge but are interested in new titles for the PS3, here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35377514@N08/show/

Looks like it's coming on nicely. I can see the improvement over FC- colour has been toned down and the colour pallete is more realistic. The in car views look as useable as the ones in Prologue and I even like the change in the fonts. And I'm sure the great rain effect from FC will be carried over to SCC.
I thought last year when Prologue, GRID and FC was released, was the golden age for console racing sim. But this year with SCC (and Race Pro to those with the 360), Codemasters' F1 game alongside Fuel and possibly Dirt 2, and in the Fall, EA's Slightly Mad Studios NFS:Shift and quite possibly but higly improbable GT5, the Golden Age for console racing is finally upon us.

Back