Superformance Combines the Past and Present With the Future GT Forty

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, Oct 14, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2018
    AgentBlackDog and IngRobNy like this.
  2. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

To me, it’s literally just the ‘06 GT with a Chip Ganassi livery.

FoRiZon, SiriusR and GranTurismo guy like this.
  3. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid

It literally is.

It’s terrible.

FoRiZon and LMSCorvetteGT2 like this.
  4. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

I literally couldn’t agree more!

Watch this: I’m going to roast this car in one image...

967AB28C-C019-4344-A4FB-C0F96434351D.jpeg

Got ‘em.

5. TexRex

TexRex Premium

Literally in the figurative sense? Perhaps. Literally in the literal sense? Literally not even.

The Superformance (yes, the hyperlinked title of the article as shown for the purpose of this dedicated discussion thread is incorrect, and the company's actual name is offered everywhere else) iteration, which is to say the one that has been on offer for literally some twenty years now, shares more visual similarities with the original British-built MkI GT40 than any other variant built by Ford or for Ford.

Of course that's without even getting into the considerable mechanical differences between the "standard" Superformance car (the one that doesn't use components from the newest Ford offering) and the production car that bowed 14 years ago.

bloodyboyblue likes this.
  6. Just The Stig

Just The Stig

...somebody PLEASE tell these people to stop putting V6's into a car that was meant to use a V8.

A V6 in a GT is a sin.

7. GranTurismo guy

GranTurismo guy

I never understood this argument. It’s not a muscle car, and its engine was never a big reason for why this car is so well remembered, it’s remembered for beating Ferrari. Four times. Had it have had any other engine the car would have been remembered and respected just the same.

8. McLaren

McLaren Premium

As much as I don't like the idea of Ford putting the Ecoboost V6 into the GT, I've come to accept & understand why. It's a racing car at its heart, all the reviews acknowledge this fact when they drive it. The necessary needs of the race car came first and the V6 was the better decision for Ford. The road car was nothing more than a secondary piece in development that Ford only legalized what it needed to make the race car usable for the street.

Lubeify100 likes this.
  9. SiriusR

SiriusR

This preview pics look like they've been poorly mashed together in Photoshop. Ew.

10. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

[​IMG]

11. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

But...

...but

It has the Chip Ganassi livery, so not every word.

12. RandomCarGuy17

RandomCarGuy17

Unpopular opinion: I like the Chip Ganassi livery.

13. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

Unpopular opinion: I agree (and I actually quite like the new GT), but I wish it wasn't Ganassi that ran them.

Michelin Man and LMSCorvetteGT2 like this.
  14. Just The Stig

Just The Stig

The reason I love the GT is its roaring V8 sound which tells me "I mean business" and relentless pulling power coming from the high torque output. I always viewed it as a supercar-muscle hybrid, a car that not only looks fast, but sounds fast aswell. The V6 in the new GT just doesn't cut it for me. I mean, it's fast, but it doesn't sound like the same car anymore...

15. Tornado

Tornado

I don't understand what Superformance has actually done here, besides draw a couple pictures and write a press release that GTP dutifully reported a week later. They've made these since the 1990s at least. They claim they put a Ford GT motor in this one? That's great.

You won't be able to get one pre-installed in this... uh... GT40 rolling chassis they already produced.

A V6 in the current GT is what best complimented the racing ruleset that Ford was trying to take advantage of at the time the car was designed.

Just like the car in the 1960s was.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  16. SiriusR

SiriusR

Popular opinion: I wish Ford would've given at least one of new GT racecars to Gulf Racing.

17. Furinkazen

Furinkazen Premium

Very popular opinion considering I've never seen it before across the internet.

18. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo

I think they read an article about the Singer-Williams DLS and thought...'oh, you know what, we like money too'. This, to me, is something of a restomod, except without the annoying resto-part.

19. Heldenzeit

Heldenzeit

Looks how I expected. 20181101_125736.jpg

20. Tornado

Tornado

So the "modern headlights" are just the original fixtures with GE Nighthawks dropped in.

Shocker.

Heldenzeit likes this.
  21. TexRex

TexRex Premium

I'd have preferred headlights similar to those depicted in the render--that rectangular block looks ridiculous.

Heldenzeit likes this.
  22. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Drop the sponsors/logos and the aero kit, and it’d look a like nicer and simpler imo.

GranTurismo guy likes this.