Superformance Combines the Past and Present With the Future GT Forty

It literally is.

It’s terrible.

I literally couldn’t agree more!

Watch this: I’m going to roast this car in one image...

967AB28C-C019-4344-A4FB-C0F96434351D.jpeg

Got ‘em.

literally
literally
Literally in the figurative sense? Perhaps. Literally in the literal sense? Literally not even.

The Superformance (yes, the hyperlinked title of the article as shown for the purpose of this dedicated discussion thread is incorrect, and the company's actual name is offered everywhere else) iteration, which is to say the one that has been on offer for literally some twenty years now, shares more visual similarities with the original British-built MkI GT40 than any other variant built by Ford or for Ford.

Of course that's without even getting into the considerable mechanical differences between the "standard" Superformance car (the one that doesn't use components from the newest Ford offering) and the production car that bowed 14 years ago.

...somebody PLEASE tell these people to stop putting V6's into a car that was meant to use a V8.

A V6 in a GT is a sin.
I never understood this argument. It’s not a muscle car, and its engine was never a big reason for why this car is so well remembered, it’s remembered for beating Ferrari. Four times. Had it have had any other engine the car would have been remembered and respected just the same.

...somebody PLEASE tell these people to stop putting V6's into a car that was meant to use a V8.

A V6 in a GT is a sin.
As much as I don't like the idea of Ford putting the Ecoboost V6 into the GT, I've come to accept & understand why. It's a racing car at its heart, all the reviews acknowledge this fact when they drive it. The necessary needs of the race car came first and the V6 was the better decision for Ford. The road car was nothing more than a secondary piece in development that Ford only legalized what it needed to make the race car usable for the street.

I never understood this argument. It’s not a muscle car, and its engine was never a big reason for why this car is so well remembered, it’s remembered for beating Ferrari. Four times. Had it have had any other engine the car would have been remembered and respected just the same.
The reason I love the GT is its roaring V8 sound which tells me "I mean business" and relentless pulling power coming from the high torque output. I always viewed it as a supercar-muscle hybrid, a car that not only looks fast, but sounds fast aswell. The V6 in the new GT just doesn't cut it for me. I mean, it's fast, but it doesn't sound like the same car anymore...

I don't understand what Superformance has actually done here, besides draw a couple pictures and write a press release that GTP dutifully reported a week later. They've made these since the 1990s at least. They claim they put a Ford GT motor in this one? That's great.

You won't be able to get one pre-installed in this... uh... GT40 rolling chassis they already produced.

A V6 in a GT is a sin.
A V6 in the current GT is what best complimented the racing ruleset that Ford was trying to take advantage of at the time the car was designed.

Just like the car in the 1960s was.

Last edited:
I don't understand what Superformance has actually done here

I think they read an article about the Singer-Williams DLS and thought...'oh, you know what, we like money too'. This, to me, is something of a restomod, except without the annoying resto-part.

Back