Survival Thread

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 343 comments
Bring on the zombies!
(This is only my "to hand" kit that I have in my bedroom draw, the rest of it is placed in my 'evac pack'. (Minus the pan which I stole from the kitchen) )

6907034205_0a3afee825.jpg

6907034209_f1eb9184f7.jpg

Disclaimer: These items, including the 'evac pack' are mainly for use during the fallout of natural disasters like earthquakes and floods, but would definitely be useful in a zombie scenario.

I'd hate to have to be in a zombie survival situation where I have to use a blade. It does look like a nice set but only really worth having if you've got a place to hole up. If you've got to be travelling by foot I don't think you'd want to haul around all that weight in just blades.

Oh and speaking of shotguns, I remember stumbling on to this survival build a while back. http://artofmanliness.com/2011/07/11/how-to-make-a-survival-shotgun/ Thought it was cool all the kit he could cram into the gun without a huge impact on the weight.

Have you guys seen this show?
Yes I have. After watching the first family explain with their survival plan, blah, blah, I thought there would definitely be one prepping for a zombie apocalypse. Well you can't blame me, 3 months ago I was high on The Walking Dead. :D

Don't leave it there, you gotta share it with us!

benelli-m4-tactical.jpg
Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Apocalypse Survival Kit. :D I thought that it was already sold out. Last time I checked their website, which was like 3 months ago, it was all sold out and I thought they only produced them in limited quantities. Guess not. :)

Also, that's one nice shotgun, the type you would want for blowing away zombies. :sly:

Bring on the zombies!
6907034205_0a3afee825.jpg
Damn, we have a hardcore here! Gearing up in his mad zombie killing outfit just to share some pics with us here! :bowdown:
LOL, just kidding about being hardcore. That's a really cool set up you have there, I know I will not be as prepared as you are for when* the zombie apocalypse happens. :scared:
*I said 'when', not 'if' which means sooner or later it will eventually happen. :sly:

Questions,
1. Is that a plastic trashcan lid? If so, is your axe made of plastic as well? :D
2. Is that a rice cooking pot you are wearing as a helmet? It looks like my rice cooking pot. :D
3. Is that your house/car key you're holding in the hand with the axe? Do you use it to gouge out your zombie's eyes? :D

Last edited:
I'm not into the whole apocalypse/zombie hoards thing, but I do carry a simple 'SAS' survival tin in a sidepocket of my rucksack (which is small enough to fit into an Altoids tin) for when I go hiking/mountaineering.
I've not needed it yet, and (touch wood) hopefully never will - but I have had to use it to aid in rescuing others who weren't as well prepared as I was.
Those are the one's that comes in the Altoids Mints cans, right? Every bit helps. 👍

Right now, I am woefully ill prepared for a zombie apocalypse.
Are you finally realizing that you need a shotty before a handgun. :P j/k
............................... I don't know about you guys, but if I saw this guy coming at me, I don't care what size gun I have on me, I would scream like a little school girl, run like a mothertrucker. :scared: :lol:
I'd hate to have to be in a zombie survival situation where I have to use a blade. It does look like a nice set but only really worth having if you've got a place to hole up. If you've got to be travelling by foot I don't think you'd want to haul around all that weight in just blades.
I'm not putting it down, but it is a ridiculous kit. I think you need a truck or SUV to haul around a kit like that, and still have efficient access to it(or empty trunk, or whatever the Brits called them lol). It has THREE machetes! :lol:
Oh and speaking of shotguns, I remember stumbling on to this survival build a while back. http://artofmanliness.com/2011/07/11/how-to-make-a-survival-shotgun/ Thought it was cool all the kit he could cram into the gun without a huge impact on the weight.
Seems little overboard, but I'm not gonna lie, I wish my shotgun had an compartment or two like that!
Yes I have. After watching the first family explain with their survival plan, blah, blah, I thought there would definitely be one prepping for a zombie apocalypse. Well you can't blame me, 3 months ago I was high on The Walking Dead. :D
I would so watch that! :lol:👍

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Apocalypse Survival Kit. :D I thought that it was already sold out. Last time I checked their website, which was like 3 months ago, it was all sold out and I thought they only produced them in limited quantities. Guess not. :)
Actually, when I googled that on Google shopping search, not one result came up, and I just figured that it was something they just announced. I'm sorry, but I think you are right that it was sold out. :crazy:
Also, that's one nice shotgun, the type you would want for blowing away zombies. :sly:
Not mine, but it looks like a really nice Benelli(mine's a less-hardcore Remington).

Questions,
1. Is that a plastic trashcan lid? If so, is your axe made of plastic as well? :D
2. Is that a rice cooking pot you are wearing as a helmet? It looks like my rice cooking pot. :D
3. Is that your house/car key you're holding in the hand with the axe? Do you use it to gouge out your zombie's eyes? :D

1. Yes, the bin lid is PVC but the axe is 100% real, I use it to dismantle old furniture .

2. Yup, it's a rice cooking pot, the missus won't be happy but all of the normal pots are too big from my head and I'm sure cooking rice would be the least of our worries in a zombie invasion. ;)

3. The knuckle duster is on my key because I often misplace it, it's hard to lose when it's attached to a 5lb brass knuckle! Plus it means I always have it with me so should I get any zombies come into my office when I'm working the weapon is close at hand, and also my door key.

Are you finally realizing that you need a shotty before a handgun. :P j/k

I really need both.

I really liked how the FN FNX-9 felt in my hand. If H&K were not so proud of their products and charged accordingly, then it is likely I would already have a pistol. I have put a lot of thought into going back and buying the FN FNX-9. The problem is I have been on a real tear of being lazy and do not feel like driving to the other side of Oklahoma City.

I really need both.

I really liked how the FN FNX-9 felt in my hand. If H&K were not so proud of their products and charged accordingly, then it is likely I would already have a pistol. I have put a lot of thought into going back and buying the FN FNX-9. The problem is I have been on a real tear of being lazy and do not feel like driving to the other side of Oklahoma City.
Very cool Brett! 👍

Just don't forget, after the FN & a 12-Gauge, you will need a rifle..... :sly:

Actually, when I googled that on Google shopping search, not one result came up, and I just figured that it was something they just announced. I'm sorry, but I think you are right that it was sold out. :crazy:

I went to their site again today and checked.

Yeah, it was sold out. :( But now they brought it back! :D

So what are you waiting for people?

Get yours today before you find yourself being chased by a zombie! :sly:

Man, I really need to get some weapons just in case. :lol:

But these are the true weapons for taking out zombies right here:

Spaz 12 guage customized with folding stock, magnum, explosive, and buckshot rounds and flashlight.

Desert Eagle .50AE - I use the magnums on the Resident Evil series. Nothing says cool when you blow a zombie's head clean off of it body. :sly:👍

Colt M1911 .45 ACP

AK-47 with grenade launcher, laser sight and a 80 round clip and silencer.

M16A2/A3/A4 with M203 launcher, 100-200 round clip, sniper scope and laser sights aka 'My little friend'.

H&K PSG1 with silencer. Gotta take them out like a ninja.

Crossbow

M79 Gernade Launcher aka 'My big friend'.

Let's hope that the world that we know don't either gets sucked into a time warp from a mysterious blackhole or a crazy mad scientist creates a time portal that goes horribly wrong and brings us all to the Jurassic/Createous period.

Or in another way, the age of the dinosaurs. Then we need some REAL firepower. :mischievous:👍 :sly:👍 :lol:

It won't be Resident Evil/Walking Dead no more, it's Jurassic Park/Dino Crisis:tup:.

W3HS
Or one might happen to be in a country where guns are not allowed and has to rely on close combat, hand held weapons.

Yep Shem, it's a loooong list:lol:.

I live here in the US and the 2nd admendent of the right to bear arms is practiced a lot for many reasons.

But what country do you live at and why don't they have laws to use weapons to defend yourself from the zombies, aliens, dinosaurs, killer bees or gigantic man-eating trees?

Or one might happen to be in a country where guns are not allowed and has to rely on close combat, hand held weapons.
You can legally own a .22 and hunting shotguns in the UK.

Alternatively, cross bow. Perhaps a siege type with a crank mechanism. It'll take time to reload but it'll take a skull out far better than a .22.

[EDIT] Remembering you're encamped in the far east, what are the local laws like?

Man, I really need to get some weapons just in case. :lol:

But these are the true weapons for taking out zombies right here:

Spaz 12 guage customized with folding stock, magnum, explosive, and buckshot rounds and flashlight.

Desert Eagle .50AE - I use the magnums on the Resident Evil series. Nothing says cool when you blow a zombie's head clean off of it body. :sly:👍

Colt M1911 .45 ACP

AK-47 with grenade launcher, laser sight and a 80 round clip and silencer.

M16A2/A3/A4 with M203 launcher, 100-200 round clip, sniper scope and laser sights aka 'My little friend'.

H&K PSG1 with silencer. Gotta take them out like a ninja.

Crossbow

M79 Gernade Launcher aka 'My big friend'.

Let's hope that the world that we know don't either gets sucked into a time warp from a mysterious blackhole or a crazy mad scientist creates a time portal that goes horribly wrong and brings us all to the Jurassic/Createous period.

Or in another way, the age of the dinosaurs. Then we need some REAL firepower. :mischievous:👍 :sly:👍 :lol:

It won't be Resident Evil/Walking Dead no more, it's Jurassic Park/Dino Crisis:tup:.

I saw the SPAS-12, so I was like "hey man, I think those shotguns are police use only...", then I noticed the M203, and grenade launchers on your list, so never mind. :lol:
I always see dead cops and/or soldiers in zombie flicks. I say scavenge whatever firearms you can get your hands on!

I saw the SPAS-12, so I was like "hey man, I think those shotguns are police use only...", then I noticed the M203, and grenade launchers on your list, so never mind. :lol:

If it's 'so never mind', then might I add the AA-12 shotgun, lol :drool: 👍 👍 👍

But what country do you live at and why don't they have laws to use weapons to defend yourself from the zombies, aliens, dinosaurs, killer bees or gigantic man-eating trees?

I'm in China, the home of the Type 56 assault rifle, though the public aren't allowed guns over air rifle abilities, but that doesn't mean they don't own any.

My step mother's dad had a shotgun which he uses to slaughter cattle, but he lives on some remote mountain in the middle of nowhere.

You can legally own a .22 and hunting shotguns in the UK.

With a permit and can only be used on private land, like a hunting lodge.

[EDIT] Remembering you're encamped in the far east, what are the local laws like?

If the zombies come, it'll be marshal law. The police here are pretty much trained soldiers with a full working knowledge of at least on form of Kung-Fu and carry firearms in their cars for certain situations, but in Chongqing the violent crime is so low the cops spend most of their time chasing pick-pockets and drivers without licences.

The laws are different to because I'm a foreigner. Strange, eh?

If a car was to hit me while I'm cycling they can expect the full custodial sentence and have to pay my salary for however long I'm out of work. If the hit a native they usually don't even get a fine.

a6m5

:lol:

You can never have enough big guns. That's what I always say:sly:.

W3HS
I'm in China, the home of the Type 56 assault rifle, though the public aren't allowed guns over air rifle abilities, but that doesn't mean they don't own any.

My step mother's dad had a shotgun which he uses to slaughter cattle, but he lives on some remote mountain in the middle of nowhere.

If the zombies come, it'll be marshal law. The police here are pretty much trained soldiers with a full working knowledge of at least on form of Kung-Fu and carry firearms in their cars for certain situations, but in Chongqing the violent crime is so low the cops spend most of their time chasing pick-pockets and drivers without licences.

If a car was to hit me while I'm cycling they can expect the full custodial sentence and have to pay my salary for however long I'm out of work. If the hit a native they usually don't even get a fine.

Yep, those are some strange laws. But if people out there in China have some weapons, you can as well. But just gotta watch out though. Because fighting zombies with weak melée weapons or hand-to-hand combat isn't a good idea. :indiff:

Fighting zombies with weak melée weapons or hand-to-hand combat isn't a good idea. :indiff:

Using guns would take all the excitement out of the fight and not lead to the same buzz from adrenaline that taking it to them with an axe and a butchers knife would.

The key to melee fighting is to have slight knowledge of The Art of War (in which I'm well versed) and if you choose to fight make it so they come to you so that you can choose your ground and make sure it's narrow enough so they can only filter through slowly and so that you have an appropriate escape that cannot be hindered.

Here's another awesome show:

I caught the Season One on Netflix last year. I've watched some of the Season Two this year(also on Netflix), and well, it's not as good. :lol:

If it's 'so never mind', then might I add the AA-12 shotgun, lol :drool: 👍 👍 👍
When you think about it, AA-12 is a horrible survival shotgun. For those of you not familiar with the AA-12(fun begins at 00:50).:

In survival situation, most likely, you carry limited ammo. AA-12 will turn into a useless hunk of metal, probably in minutes. ;)

In Modern Warfare 2, it was my go-to secondary, but I had Scavenger. :P

Edit: Found this while looking for rifles. VERY cool!

$300!

Last edited:

$300!

Sweet. .44 Mag in the chest would probably drop you for a week though. But I'd rather be down for a week than have to wait for Jesus.

What happened to that dragon scale armor? It stopped a frag nade on FutureWeapons.

When you think about it, AA-12 is a horrible survival shotgun. In survival situation, most likely, you carry limited ammo. AA-12 will turn into a useless hunk of metal, probably in minutes. ;)
Yeah man, you're right. I wasn't thinking about that. :ouch: :lol: I'll be eating through ammo like a minigun.
Back to the standard auto shotgun for zombie survival then, blast them away Left4Dead style. :sly:

W3HS
Using guns would take all the excitement out of the fight and not lead to the same buzz from adrenaline that taking it to them with an axe and a butchers knife would.

The key to melee fighting is to have slight knowledge of The Art of War (in which I'm well versed) and if you choose to fight make it so they come to you so that you can choose your ground and make sure it's narrow enough so they can only filter through slowly and so that you have an appropriate escape that cannot be hindered.

What about using blades and chainsaws? China has some sweet blades like the jian sword and combat knives. But if you thinking about swords, get a katana or a itachi swords. They're from Japan and got a cutting edge, perfect for decapating zombie's heads. Wrath of Heaven, Warrior style ;).

Daniel
Honestly, I think you play too much COD :lol:

Nope, don't play COD. I play SyphonFilter or Metal Gear. I got my weapon knowledge from these games and side research afterwards.

I'm a high ranked agent, with advanced skills from stealth expert to explosive tech. Have deadly CQC(close quarter combat), computer and analyizer tech. Deadly sharpshooter, good with non-lethal weapons and good team management. Both excelled IPCA and Foxhound agent studies and surivied many missions. :lol:

Anyone impressed? :lol:

a6m5
Here's another awesome show:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hv4ADUr-0E">YouTube Link</a>

I caught the Season One on Netflix last year. I've watched some of the Season Two this year(also on Netflix), and well, it's not as good. :lol:

When you think about it, AA-12 is a horrible survival shotgun. For those of you not familiar with the AA-12(fun begins at 00:50).:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c">YouTube Link</a>

In survival situation, most likely, you carry limited ammo. AA-12 will turn into a useless hunk of metal, probably in minutes. ;)

In Modern Warfare 2, it was my go-to secondary, but I had Scavenger. :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIRawHbC1vc">YouTube Link</a>

$300!

Dat AA12 :drool:👍.

Unless we modify a AA for long range and compatable with explosive rounds. It will prove useful:sly:.

AA-12 is one weapon I never, ever want to be on the receiving end of. :scared:

My contribution to the Survival Thread today are ammo cans:

dscn1203g.jpg

I've often brought them up in the Real Guns thread, but if you are not familiar with them, they are Military Surplus(used) ammo storage/transport cans, made very heavy duty with lots of metal. They seal tight with rubber gasket inside the lid.

Due to it's solid, sealing construction, I believe it makes for very safe ammunition storage, or keeping anything safe inside. Recently, going rate in my area(Portland, Oregon) has been around $10~15. I throw in some silica gel packets to keep those bullets & shells dry inside.

I've read that they can(no pun intended) be made into a faraday cage, but I don't know if this is true. If so, you can actually store electronics like a radio in one to protect from EMP(electromagnetic pulse).

Now you guys got me craving a backpacking trip.

Are you gonna be "packing"? :lol:
Sweet. .44 Mag in the chest would probably drop you for a week though. But I'd rather be down for a week than have to wait for Jesus.
How about the 12-Gauge slug? It stopped it, but would a person really survive that kind of hit even without the penetration? :crazy:

You hear about how hero's fall on a frag? After seeing this test, I'm skeptical as to how much falling on a grenade actually can do. I guess big guy like you might save some lives. If I fell on one with my skin & bones, I think people around me would still die!
Yeah man, you're right. I wasn't thinking about that. :ouch: :lol: I'll be eating through ammo like a minigun.
Back to the standard auto shotgun for zombie survival then, blast them away Left4Dead style. :sly:
According to some credible sources like "Walking Dead" :P you want to avoid making noises altogether. But we know better. What good is a zombie survival without a pump action shotgun!

Here's a good book to read: The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Been reading it for a couple of day's and have come across some interesting topics. I adivise anybody else interested in Survival Guides to read it too.

Weapon choice, well i'd pick a Pistol, Crossbow and Crowbar. Along with some of the basic survival needs.

Here's a good book to read: The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Been reading it for a couple of day's and have come across some interesting topics. I adivise anybody else interested in Survival Guides to read it too.

Weapon choice, well i'd pick a Pistol, Crossbow and Crowbar. Along with some of the basic survival needs.

Try finding a pistol in the U.K.

Because I am sad I have thought of a plan to escape from a hostile airborne invasion of my city with no immediate resistance from our army with me starting at the college which is a few blocks from the high street. And I am starting with no weapons except kitchen knifes and 2 scientists and chemicals and a medic.(the chemistry,physics and human biology teachers)

Last edited:
With a permit and can only be used on private land, like a hunting lodge.
Or on a private range. Which are surprisingly common. Shotgun laws differ in that legally there must be good reason for you not to have one, while rifles you need to provide good reasons for. But being part of a suitable shooting range is usually enough for a .22.

That's certainly interesting!

Try finding a pistol in the U.K.
Again, with the right club memberships and certificate you could own one of these.
Pietta-1858-New-Army-stainless.jpg

And this is the only legit way you can own a semi-auto handgun in the uk.
pro1911kit1.jpg

No chance of owning a bullpup in the UK then? :( That would really deal some zombie justice.

Latest Posts

Back