Survival Thread

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 343 comments
Again, with the right club memberships and certificate you could own one of these.
Pietta-1858-New-Army-stainless.jpg

Yup, try finding someone who has a license for a pistol during a zombie apocalypse and is willing to give it to you/let you take it without a fight. From what i've seen at U.K shooting ranges, most pistols are sporting pistols and pretty useless for a real combat situation.

There are probably 4 or 5 shotguns within a mile radius of where I live, but I wouldn't put money on being able to get hold of one if I ever needed one.

I'll stick to what I know and carry my longbow/warbow and a few hundred arrows.

Because I am sad I have thought of a plan to escape from a hostile airborne invasion of my city with no immediate resistance from our army with me starting at the college which is a few blocks from the high street. And I am starting with no weapons except kitchen knifes and 2 scientists and chemicals and a medic.(the chemistry,physics and human biology teachers)
:odd:
And this is the only legit way you can own a semi-auto handgun in the uk.
pro1911kit1.jpg
This is what I wanted to do to my Glock:

glr17g.jpg

I couldn't do it, because in order to do so, you must file with the U.S. Government, pay hundreds of dollars, wait for months for the paperwork to go through. I think the stock itself was only around hundred bucks or so, give or take. But as far as the U.S. Government is concerned, stock attachment turns the Glock into a "short barreled rifle". 👎
I will have plenty of guns and ammo here in USA. I pray for you that there will be no runners!
:lol:

They did just fine in 28 Days Later! :lol:

Two friends of mine have the KPOS stock and are VERY happy with it. As far as I know that stock would make the Pistol a short barreled rifle in the US and you'd have to pay 200 bucks, get a backgroud check, a special permission and whatnot. :scared:

KPOS21-2.jpg

Well, you could buy the stock and just not install it, slap the Glock into the stock when the shi... excrements hit the fan.

By thew way, I thought you can own a bolt action rifle (no semis) in England if you get a special permission from the local police office?

Last edited:
One could probably own an old rifle as a collectors item in the UK, if it was rare and/or valuable but I'm thinking it would have to be registered with the local authorities. That's just a guess, though.

Well, you could buy the stock and just not install it, slap the Glock into the stock when the shi... excrements hit the fan.
Nah, I wanted to have fun with it, take it out shooting! $200 is cheaper than I thought, but I still wouldn't do it. :lol: Besides, for the "poo" hit-the-fan situation, I'd wanna bolt-action, or battle rifle. :dopey:

Speaking of something hitting the fan, I'm considering putting together what is often referred to as a bug out bag(or simply BOB). I know Solid Lifters brought it up in this thread before. I put one together, mostly out of junk I had around, but it's in a Nike sports bag. I need a good backpack/rucksack!

Edit:

Government's recommendation for 72 Hour Kit: http://www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit

Last edited:
Instead of a bug out bag I have my molle system assault vest, the two front pouches carry 80 rounds for my SHTF rifle, on the back I have a 1.5 liter water bottle and two big 12x5 pouches that hold essential gear like a, lighter, compass, first aid kit, energy bars etc.
The pouches are way bigger than they look and hold everything I need - except a tent and spare clothing.

The great thing is the pouches on the back balance the vest pretty well (80 rounds of ammo strapped to the chest aren't exactly light) and despite their size they don't get into my way thanks to their position.
I think the army uses a similar system, a pouch called ''buttpack''.

Of course, for long journeys I'd get my good old camping backpack.

Instead of a bug out bag I have my molle system assault vest, the two front pouches carry 80 rounds for my SHTF rifle, on the back I have a 1.5 liter water bottle and two big 12x5 pouches that hold essential gear like a, lighter, compass, first aid kit, energy bars etc.
The pouches are way bigger than they look and hold everything I need - except a tent and spare clothing.

The great thing is the pouches on the back balance the vest pretty well (80 rounds of ammo strapped to the chest aren't exactly light) and despite their size they don't get into my way thanks to their position.
I think the army uses a similar system, a pouch called ''buttpack''.

Of course, for long journeys I'd get my good old camping backpack.
I don't think I can fit my stuff on a vest. :lol: Sounds like a good idea though. I didn't realize you could fit so much on a vest. 👍

I just thought of something else. Yes, I need a good backpack, but how about a sleeping bag? It is too big to fit in pack, and if it does fit, I'm pretty sure I couldn't carry it for long! I have couple of those emergency solar blanket things, but I guess I should look into a smaller sleeping bag, eventually.

Food: I always stock can food, so I can rely on them in case of some disaster, or emergency. When I put together a bug-out-bag, I will need something lighter, like energy bar. I don't like energy bars, but it beats starving. :crazy:

Come to think of it, I do have couple of these:

spam_singles-1-lg.jpg

Just a couple, because I can never find them in stores! I also have two of samething with tuna, they will be much lighter than cans. They won't taste good, but still beats energy bars. :lol:

Glad I'm one of those who absolutely LOVE energy bars. :drool: Our sports stores here carry all sorts of honey-coated wheat and blueberry energy bars; they taste like heaven and have expiration dates of two years and more. Very useful.

They work so well its the only food I carry with me during my mountain hikes, when I get exhausted I eat one of them and only 5 minutes later I feel totally energized again. Keeps me going like the energizer bunny.

I just thought of something else. Yes, I need a good backpack, but how about a sleeping bag
God I hate sleeping bags, they're essential but they take up like 75% of the space in my backpack and are pretty heavy too. I've hard there are some ultra-light sleeping bags that are little more than two glorified pieces of emergency foil blankets stitched together but I have yet to find and try them.

By the way, I thought you can own a bolt action rifle (no semis) in England if you get a special permission from the local police office?

Generally speaking I think the public can own any gun that could be considered a 'working' gun or a 'sporting' gun, with the right permissions, proofs and licenses of course.

So bolt action rifles, possibly also semi-auto rifles with low capacity mags/clips. Your typical hunting and sporting rifles, with smaller calibres used for vermin/pest control.

Semi-auto shotguns (no mags, extenders, speedloaders, effectively a 'one shot, per barrel, per load' gun). Sporting guns (clay guns, target guns) and hunting guns (game bird shooting, vermin/pest control).

From what i've seen, semi-auto pistols are usually fitted with a 'stock', as with the .45 picture posted above, to make concealment difficult. Revolvers and sporting pistols must be seen as more of an awkward weapon to use offensively as i've seen 11 round mags and revolver speedloaders on ranges several times.

I'm not sure about calibre restrictions, the biggest rifle round i've seen being fired here is .300 WinMag, biggest pistol round was .44 Mag.

The above is just what i've seen at shoots and shooting ranges, i'm not sure about the actual laws in place as I rarely shoot anymore (although friends do).

I just thought of something else. Yes, I need a good backpack, but how about a sleeping bag? It is too big to fit in pack, and if it does fit, I'm pretty sure I couldn't carry it for long! I have couple of those emergency solar blanket things, but I guess I should look into a smaller sleeping bag, eventually.

God I hate sleeping bags, they're essential but they take up like 75% of the space in my backpack and are pretty heavy too. I've hard there are some ultra-light sleeping bags that are little more than two glorified pieces of emergency foil blankets stitched together but I have yet to find and try them.
All depends on the bag. Modern day goose down sleeping bags are very light and are very compressible. Brands like Western Mountaineering, Montbell and Marmot all make high quality down bags with a variety of temperature ratings that weigh around 1-3lbs. I'm actually going to be getting a Marmot bag soon to replace an old, bulky 6lb synthetic bag that I've had for years. 👍

Glad I'm one of those who absolutely LOVE energy bars. :drool: Our sports stores here carry all sorts of honey-coated wheat and blueberry energy bars; they taste like heaven and have expiration dates of two years and more. Very useful.

They work so well its the only food I carry with me during my mountain hikes, when I get exhausted I eat one of them and only 5 minutes later I feel totally energized again. Keeps me going like the energizer bunny.

I found this line on Amazon: Snugpak Looks promising.

By the way, those tuna & spam foil packs? I bought them many months ago, and I threw them in the fridge(you don't have to). I checked the expire date on them, and they are good until October & December of 2013! Ready to join the dark side yet Michael? :lol:
Oh, you can put a lot of gear and equipment in them!

steriore-1.jpg
Alright, that is more than I thought. :lol:
All depends on the bag. Modern day goose down sleeping bags are very light and are very compressible. Brands like Western Mountaineering, Montbell and Marmot all make high quality down bags with a variety of temperature ratings that weigh around 1-3lbs. I'm actually going to be getting a Marmot bag soon to replace an old, bulky 6lb synthetic bag that I've had for years. 👍
How compact do they get when rolled up?

Yup, try finding someone who has a license for a pistol during a zombie apocalypse and is willing to give it to you/let you take it without a fight. From what i've seen at U.K shooting ranges, most pistols are sporting pistols and pretty useless for a real combat situation.
That's regardless, you could legally own a fairly capable pistol if you wanted. I thought this was a survival thread, not a scavenger hunt.

There are probably 4 or 5 shotguns within a mile radius of where I live, but I wouldn't put money on being able to get hold of one if I ever needed one.
All depends where you live. I could guarantee a couple of shotguns at the farms around me and I know a couple of older guys in the pubs still keep them.

I'll stick to what I know and carry my longbow/warbow and a few hundred arrows.
How the hell are you going to carry a few hundred arrows!?

:odd:

This is what I wanted to do to my Glock:
*snip*
I couldn't do it, because in order to do so, you must file with the U.S. Government, pay hundreds of dollars, wait for months for the paperwork to go through. I think the stock itself was only around hundred bucks or so, give or take. But as far as the U.S. Government is concerned, stock attachment turns the Glock into a "short barreled rifle". 👎
That's quite funny. Is it a general thing or due to your citizenship status?

By thew way, I thought you can own a bolt action rifle (no semis) in England if you get a special permission from the local police office?
Permission would only be granted if you could justify needing it. Small vermin control would get you no more than a .22, and you'd have to be deer stalking to warrant larger calibres.

Have any of you guy's saw this:

He also has some other crazy Catapults/Slingshots. Not really pratical but its only a bit of fun :)

That's regardless, you could legally own a fairly capable pistol if you wanted. I thought this was a survival thread, not a scavenger hunt.

Yes, but unless you go to the lengths of getting a license, pistol and then go to a range regularly, you won't be getting a pistol. The only other way is to acquire one from someobody who already owns one, which would be like finding a needle in a haystack. The point is a survival plan needs to make sense... you can't plan around a handgun if you don't have one, or ready access to one!

All depends where you live. I could guarantee a couple of shotguns at the farms around me and I know a couple of older guys in the pubs still keep them.

I know there are at least 3 within a mile, 2 in one place. I doubt i'd be given one if the situation arose where I needed one though! Again, you can't plan around something unless you're certain that you could get hold of it.

How the hell are you going to carry a few hundred arrows!?

Without too much difficulty. I probably wouldn't need a few hundred as I could reclaim used ones depending on the situation. But here we go -

100 arrows in my back quiver, probably 150 at a push with no tips and solid flights (hardened/coated tips - also quicker and easier to recover) or bodkin tips. The great part about my back quiver is that it's a shaped cylinder with a flat on one side, so I can wear a backpack right next to it without any difficulty.

If I don't mind being a bit wider and taller, I can wear my backpack in the centre (with a camping roll, bundle of 50-100 arrows or similar strapped on top), quiver to my right, and another bag to my left.

25 arrows in each thigh quiver, and I can fit two around each thigh and still run, jump, and kneel down, etc. So that's another 100, 50 of which could have broadhead tips if I really wanted (only really neccessary for hunting if i'm going exclusively for headshots).

I could wear two calf quivers on one leg and still be able to kneel down on one knee, another 50 arrows there. Getting really silly, I could wear four calf quivers, two per leg, another 100 arrows, and walk like my legs have no joints :dopey:.

Since I can no longer kneel or bend my legs, it would be no more of a handicap to wear waist webbing/a utility belt with pouches filled with whatever I need.

At this point, I would no longer be able to carry my bow over my shoulder and would have to carry it in my hand, meaning I no longer need to bend my right arm. Guess what? I can wear another quiver on my right arm, meaning I cannot bend it at all, but can carry an extra 20-25 arrows!

So if I got really carried away, I could probably carry 450-475 arrows. Being sensible I could carry 250-300 arrows and still have a great level of mobility and speed. Yes, I did just spend a little too long trying this out.

All of the above is just talk though, as i'd take the Unimog, use the HIAB to put the water and red diesel tank on the back, hook up the fully loaded trailer, and disappear to somewhere that can be fortified. Probably a deserted barn surrounded by fields around 7 miles from where I am now. Party at my place!

Yes, but unless you go to the lengths of getting a license, pistol and then go to a range regularly, you won't be getting a pistol. The only other way is to acquire one from someobody who already owns one, which would be like finding a needle in a haystack. The point is a survival plan needs to make sense... you can't plan around a handgun if you don't have one, or ready access to one!
Or I don't know, join a pistol club and go shooting once a month. Not really a massive commitment if you're planning for a survival situation. A bit more realistic than...

Without too much difficulty. I probably wouldn't need a few hundred as I could reclaim used ones depending on the situation. But here we go -

100 arrows in my back quiver, probably 150 at a push with no tips and solid flights (hardened/coated tips - also quicker and easier to recover) or bodkin tips. The great part about my back quiver is that it's a shaped cylinder with a flat on one side, so I can wear a backpack right next to it without any difficulty.

If I don't mind being a bit wider and taller, I can wear my backpack in the centre (with a camping roll, bundle of 50-100 arrows or similar strapped on top), quiver to my right, and another bag to my left.

25 arrows in each thigh quiver, and I can fit two around each thigh and still run, jump, and kneel down, etc. So that's another 100, 50 of which could have broadhead tips if I really wanted (only really neccessary for hunting if i'm going exclusively for headshots).

I could wear two calf quivers on one leg and still be able to kneel down on one knee, another 50 arrows there. Getting really silly, I could wear four calf quivers, two per leg, another 100 arrows, and walk like my legs have no joints :dopey:.

Since I can no longer kneel or bend my legs, it would be no more of a handicap to wear waist webbing/a utility belt with pouches filled with whatever I need.

At this point, I would no longer be able to carry my bow over my shoulder and would have to carry it in my hand, meaning I no longer need to bend my right arm. Guess what? I can wear another quiver on my right arm, meaning I cannot bend it at all, but can carry an extra 20-25 arrows!

So if I got really carried away, I could probably carry 450-475 arrows. Being sensible I could carry 250-300 arrows and still have a great level of mobility and speed. Yes, I did just spend a little too long trying this out.

All of the above is just talk though, as i'd take the Unimog, use the HIAB to put the water and red diesel tank on the back, hook up the fully loaded trailer, and disappear to somewhere that can be fortified. Probably a deserted barn surrounded by fields around 7 miles from where I am now. Party at my place!
Walking around like a pin cushion and sourcing 250-475 which you can't even obtain in the UK legally...

Or I don't know, join a pistol club and go shooting once a month. Not really a massive commitment if you're planning for a survival situation. A bit more realistic than...

But you still don't have ready access to a pistol, which is what you'd need in a survival/apocalypse situation. The pistol club isn't going to hand you a gun to carry around and defend yourself with.

Walking around like a pin cushion and sourcing 250-475 which you can't even obtain in the UK legally...

If you are responsible and pack the arrows right there is very little risk of injury, same with any weapon or sharp object. The quivers are designed to protect the user, just as a sheath is designed to protect the user of a knife.

In 13 years of archery i've never heard of a limit on how many arrows you can own, only that you can't use broadheads and can't hunt any animal. If carrying in public you must have all arrows stored securely in a closed quiver/arrow bag and the bow must be in a bag (I have 'gotten away' with just unstringing my bows multiple times, though).

If stopped by the police with no genuine reason for carrying you can be prosecuted for carrying weapons (arrows AND bows count as weapons).

I've been pulled over by the police twice (one routine check, once because a ratchet strap was loose) with no real reason to still have my (three) bows and (hundreds of) arrows in the car/van (being lazy/busy and not taking them out between visits to my archery club) and i've only ever had polite reminders to store my kit at home unless I am driving directly from or to my club, never anything about the amount of arrows in my possesion.

The above could be because I just accepted the warnings with no argument, or the officers that stopped me simply ignored the quantity of arrows being carried, but i'm not so sure.

Maybe the limit is for crossbow bolts? Crossbows have more laws governing them than traditional bows.

All I can say is, if you like guns, it sucks to live in UK. :lol:

I heard at work today that there was some shooting in Cleveland. More leverage for gun control, whether that may be a good or bad thing. :indiff:
That's quite funny. Is it a general thing or due to your citizenship status?
Nope, it applies even to U.S. citizens. For me, so far, only thing that I'm not allowed as a foreign national in this country is to carry my handgun. Open carry, or concealed. :crazy:

He also has some other crazy Catapults/Slingshots. Not really pratical but its only a bit of fun :)

If you ever get into a fight with this guy......... do not let him connect with his weapon.

P.S. He scares me in more ways than one. :lol:

P.P.S. I bought more of these things:
tuna-packets.jpg

Expiration date on those things were end of 2014! Compact, light(unlike cans), last for around two years. Great survival food!(still can't find the Spam one's though)

thumbnail.aspx

Need I say more?

But in seriousness, jerky is a great survival food because of how long it lasts and the fact that it's lean meat and requires no cooking. Plus it tastes excellent!

W3HS
Need I say more?

But in seriousness, jerky is a great survival food because of how long it lasts and the fact that it's lean meat and requires no cooking. Plus it tastes excellent!

Note to self:

Buy and store alot of jerky in a underground shelter/headquarters for surviviors and bottled water and frozen goods inside a storage freezer with microwaves.

That's awesome. Hammers are the most effective melee weapons in history. Even a motorcycle-helmet-zombie would be toast.

I'd want a good tomahawk with a hammer spike on the other end if I were going into zombieland.

If you can put the zombie on a bmx bike, on a half-pipe without any protective gear, there is a small chance that zombie might get injured.

Very small chance.

Back