Survival Thread

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 343 comments
I guess they are taking reservation at this point. $129 MSRP, plus shipping I assume.

I'd wait & find out how reliable this thing would be. Nice size, nice price though. What a cool outdoor/survival gadget!

Yup, will be cool to see how well it works. I'll be seriously impressed if it performs anywhere near as well as my Campingaz stove. If I remember, i'll stick a short review in here after i've tested it out a bit.

10) Appropriate clothing.
Hiking boots, waterproof socks, lycra shorts, lyrca undershirt (easy clean, fast drying, warm, doesn't stink quickly), long sleeve top, and thick waterproof jacket. Lime green Mankini.

Yup, will be cool to see how well it works. I'll be seriously impressed if it performs anywhere near as well as my Campingaz stove. If I remember, i'll stick a short review in here after i've tested it out a bit.
Bugger, forgotten who uses a Welsh flag and Hollywood as a location.

[EDIT] Imakuni, what a bizarre name change!

Last edited:
Make sure to have lots of weed. I'm sure people would want to light up a blunt after surviving a zombie horde for a daily basis.

Make sure to have lots of weed. I'm sure people would want to light up a blunt after surviving a zombie horde for a daily basis.

I'd rather stick with my MP3 player, really, music keeps me going even in the most dire situations and its one of the few things that can instantly boost my mood. Reminds me of book of Eli.
It definitely counts as essential equipment.

Which is actually a pretty important topic in a survival scenario, we always focused on the equipment that keeps you alive, but what do you need to keep you going, something that keeps up your will to survive?
You can have all the fancy survival equipment but if you have nothing to look forward to or fight for you're dead.

I honestly don't know what that would be for me when things got really tough.

Last edited:
9x19 can be a great round, just use a good expanding bullet design - a few days ago our police got attacked by a mentally ill woman armed with two kitchen knives, they hit her 9 times with our standard issue Glock 17 9x19mm, she survived and even managed to cut the police officers hand. As far as I know they use soft point 9x19 which is a moderately-expanding round.
There was a story like that I found in New York. But she died. ;) What was eye-opening for me was the madman shooting that took place in Arizona last year. I think he had the same gun(G17 again), similar extended clip, and same Remington/UMC Mega Pack 9mm that I buy from Walmart, which is the same store even. Anyway, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords survived a shot to the head. A head shot!

Although I've been buying these just for target practices, I could not believe that she survived a shot to the head. While this shooting was a huge tragedy, obviously, it made me increase stock of hollow points. Congresswoman Giffords seems to have gained back basic speech since, which is miraculous and everybody, myself included, were very proud of her.

Use EFMJ (Expanding full metal jacket), that design has proven to be a very reliable stopper.
EFMJ is a actually a FMJ projectile that has a waxy filling right behind the jacket of the tip, the rest is ordinary lead. They expand hell of a lot and much more reliable than HP's.

I35920.jpg
I've seen rounds that looks like this, but I didn't know there were one's that were designed to expand. I almost wonder the one's that were given to me, and shot while going "wow, these bullets look weird...." during target practice were expanding one's. If so, I wasted them. :crazy: Currently, my go-to 9mm rounds are Remington Golden Saber, but I also have numerous cheaper hollow points stocked.
But never forget - use a pistol only to fight your way back to the rifle /shotgun or as backup.
You can just say rifle, that's OK. :lol: Yeah, handgun is strictly for back up, unless I'm in tight quarters.
From limited experience of being in the middle of 'effing nowhere. Scenario being civil revolt, think London Summer riots on a national scale with perhaps political motivation. Safest place would probably be away from population centres in Brecon or Gower.

This is more of a grab-bag situation, food is less of a concern as not everyone will be a threat. Phone and wallet would be on me at all times anyway.

1) Bivouac/Swag.
It's a tent and a sleeping bag all in one. The modern, simplistic way of doing emergency accommodation.

2) Tarp.
Handy for a number of things. Can be used on wet ground as extra waterproofing (there aren't many things that are really waterproof when you're lying on them on sodden ground), further shelter from heavy rain, to collect water, to waterproof what you're carrying, and other survival methods.

3) Cook set.
Multi fuel burner with small cooking pot. Much easier to cook 2 small portions than one large portion and carry the larger camp set.

4) Very simple first aid kit.
Alcohol hand wash. Anti-septic cream. Sling fabric. Plasters.

5) Patch it, fix it, catch it.
Bag of cable ties. Great for fixing, stitching and catching things.

6) A5 sized road Atlas of the UK.
Need to avoid the population centres, follow rivers and find farms.

7) Hunting knife.

8) Sling-shot/catapult.
Easier to get a hold of than many weapons in the UK, can be used to kill small animals/birds and easy to reload. (Also helps there's a nickel refinery producing BB sized pellets 2 miles away from home).

9) Fire flint.

10) Appropriate clothing.
Hiking boots, waterproof socks, lycra shorts, lyrca undershirt (easy clean, fast drying, warm, doesn't stink quickly), long sleeve top, and thick waterproof jacket.
Kick ass list Evan. Very Survivorman approach(or Bear Grylls ;)). 👍
Please do. I would be looking forward to that review. 👍

Reminds me of book of Eli.
I don't know if you like zombie movies, but I saw a good one called "The Dead". Good zombie film with good feel of "survival". I highly recommend it. 👍
I don't think I need any incentives, but yeah, I can't say for sure either. Interesting topic though!

I'm considering my emergency to be a violent nationwide riot, lasting a week or so.

1: Semi-automatic .22LR rifle. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, and even a .22 has enough power to stop a person.
2: 9mm pistol. See above, but this is for tighter quarters.
3: Granola bars, trail mix, beef jerky, and water. I could live off this for a week, plus all the foods give quite a bit of energy for their weight, and less weight to carry around equals less fatigue.
4: Large serrated knife. Something like a bread knife, for when you just have to hack and slash your way through something.
5: Disposable lighters. Since we're assuming this'll only take a week, I won't really need backup fire starters, and lighters are pretty waterproof.
6. One-man popup tent with a floor, something easy and quick to deploy. In the absence of a sleeping bag, at least I'm not sleeping on the ground.
7. Foil blanket. Keeps me warm in a pinch.
8. Battery-operated radio. Information will be key to know when the emergency has passed.
9. LED flashlight. Again, you can get some that are pretty small and put out quite a bit of light, without burning through batteries at an alarming rate.
10. A friend with his/her own supplies. Companionship and an extra pair of hands are the main tools this gives me, and won't eat/use up all my stuff.

Michael88
but what do you need to keep you going, something that keeps up your will to survive?
You can have all the fancy survival equipment but if you have nothing to look forward to or fight for you're dead.

For me, the thought of being able to see my friends and my family, my house, my pets, the thought of someday being married...bascially just seeing another human being.

The Book
5: Disposable lighters. Since we're assuming this'll only take a week, I won't really need backup fire starters, and lighters are pretty waterproof.

Using the flint and wheel from an empty lighter is good for lighting any tinder for a fire.

Last edited:
Michael88
I'd rather stick with my MP3 player, really, music keeps me going even in the most dire situations and its one of the few things that can instantly boost my mood. Reminds me of book of Eli.
It definitely counts as essential equipment.

Which is actually a pretty important topic in a survival scenario, we always focused on the equipment that keeps you alive, but what do you need to keep you going, something that keeps up your will to survive?

The will to surivive for me is hopefully to see my friends from online buddies to outside people I know, family and/or other fellow suriviors. This is my main goal.

And my iPod touch as well. Nothing says killing zombies, dinosaurs or robots with gangsta rap or heavy metal blasting in my eardrums. :mischievous:👍

@a6m5: I'm working on that dinosaur attack surivial list for the thread. I got some good tactics and weapons/items that can aid in surivial. Stay tuned ;).

I guess I should look for him on youtube?
I'm considering my emergency to be a violent nationwide riot, lasting a week or so.

1: Semi-automatic .22LR rifle. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, and even a .22 has enough power to stop a person.
2: 9mm pistol. See above, but this is for tighter quarters.
3: Granola bars, trail mix, beef jerky, and water. I could live off this for a week, plus all the foods give quite a bit of energy for their weight, and less weight to carry around equals less fatigue.
4: Large serrated knife. Something like a bread knife, for when you just have to hack and slash your way through something.
6. One-man popup tent with a floor, something easy and quick to deploy. In the absence of a sleeping bag, at least I'm not sleeping on the ground.
7. Foil blanket. Keeps me warm in a pinch.
8. Battery-operated radio. Information will be key to know when the emergency has passed.
9. LED flashlight. Again, you can get some that are pretty small and put out quite a bit of light, without burning through batteries at an alarming rate.
10. A friend with his/her own supplies. Companionship and an extra pair of hands are the main tools this gives me, and won't eat/use up all my stuff.
I'd have a totally different approach. A week long riot, I'm holing up in my apartment, 12-Gauge loaded up with magnum buckshot! :sly:
Using the flint and wheel from an empty lighter is good for lighting any tinder for a fire.
Nice! 👍

And my iPod touch as well. Nothing says killing zombies, dinosaurs or robots with gangsta rap or heavy metal blasting in my eardrums. :mischievous:👍
Let me tell you something, because I'm a seasoned war veteran(Modern Warfare 1 & 2 by Infinity Ward); hearing can be as critical as things you can see with your eyes. You gotta listen hard if you wanna kill. :P

@a6m5: I'm working on that dinosaur attack surivial list for the thread. I got some good tactics and weapons/items that can aid in surivial. Stay tuned ;).
I'm looking forward to it!

Definately, he is a survival genius, and generally fascinating guy. By learning how real survivors and native groups cope(d) in all manner of situations, along with utilising modern equipment and survival training, he is a true master of his surroundings.

Let me tell you something, because I'm a seasoned war veteran(Modern Warfare 1 & 2 by Infinity Ward); hearing can be as critical as things you can see with your eyes. You gotta listen hard if you wanna kill. :P

You should fire guns without ear protection more often (don't!), five shots with a high powered rifle outdoors and you'll have troubles hearing anything but really loud talking for a while, forget detecting enemies sneaking to your position. It also affects your ears differently, if you are right handed the left ear will take much more damage than the ear right behind the rifle, you'll have troubles identifying from which direction sound is coming from, relying too much on your hearing in a gunfight can be confusing and counter-productive.

And forget indoor shooting, a complete nutjob once shot his .357 magnum revolver on an indoor range when I was changing the targets, I was completely deaf for half an hour, my left ear is still ringing-and that was only a handgun. If he had shot a high powered rifle or a shotgun it would have severely damaged my ears - not to mention going deaf for hours. :scared:

I don't know if you like zombie movies, but I saw a good one called "The Dead". Good zombie film with good feel of "survival". I highly recommend it. 👍
Hey, I've never heard about that film before, gotta have to check it out! Thanks!

I'd have a totally different approach. A week long riot, I'm holing up in my apartment, 12-Gauge loaded up with magnum buckshot! :sly:

I was assuming I was forced out of my house for whatever reason; three exits and only one of me equals the mob getting in one way or another, no matter how much lead I expel at them. :P

KillYouSD

I didn't think about that; that's actually a really good idea. 💡

Definately, he is a survival genius, and generally fascinating guy. By learning how real survivors and native groups cope(d) in all manner of situations, along with utilising modern equipment and survival training, he is a true master of his surroundings.
I'll check him out for sure. 👍

You should fire guns without ear protection more often (don't!), five shots with a high powered rifle outdoors and you'll have troubles hearing anything but really loud talking for a while, forget detecting enemies sneaking to your position. It also affects your ears differently, if you are right handed the left ear will take much more damage than the ear right behind the rifle, you'll have troubles identifying from which direction sound is coming from, relying too much on your hearing in a gunfight can be confusing and counter-productive.

And forget indoor shooting, a complete nutjob once shot his .357 magnum revolver on an indoor range when I was changing the targets, I was completely deaf for half an hour, my left ear is still ringing-and that was only a handgun. If he had shot a high powered rifle or a shotgun it would have severely damaged my ears - not to mention going deaf for hours. :scared:
I've shot without hearing protection just once. I think it was SKS rifle, but my ears were ringing for bit after that, outdoor. My new ears:

0DSCN1003-1.jpg

I love 'em!
Hey, I've never heard about that film before, gotta have to check it out! Thanks!
It's different, like the old zombie flicks from 70's, which I'm not usually a fan of. I hope you can find it!
I was assuming I was forced out of my house for whatever reason; three exits and only one of me equals the mob getting in one way or another, no matter how much lead I expel at them. :P
I think it's just like that rule about how you don't have to outrun the bear, just your friend. Keep firing the 12-gauge, they'll just go after your neighbor.

Maybe. :P

Government falls and it's everyone for themselves.

1. Swiss Army knife - enough said
2. Camelback - more water capacity than a water bottle
3. hunting knife - kill for food
4. fire starter/ matches - cook food/ stay warm
5. water filter - clean water will run low so a water filter will come in handy.
6. GPS/map - enough said
7. solar-powered flashlight - it's solar-powered...
8. waterproof clothes - enough said
9. ropes - they come in handy, trust me
10. space blanket - stay warm, duh

Guns are useless because I'll just run out of ammo. Ammo is also a lot of weight to carry and will slow me down so knives are a lot more handy and useful and won't come as a dead-weight.
I plan on staying out of the cities because that's where most of the people would stay. I'm an outdoor person so I wouldn't mind being away from the city. It would also give me a head-start because once people realize that Raplh's and Walmart aren't going to be restocking, they'll make their way the forest. By then, I'll have an advantage over them.

I personally prefer him to Grylls by a massive margin. As imakuni said he's much more understanding of his surroundings in that he reads up on what the locals do, uses really good bush craft and doesn't do reckless things that Grylls does for the cameras.

Couldn't find a video, but here's the gist of one of my favourite methods
I saw Ray Mears demonstrate a method of separating out the larvae from the dirt by way of throwing the whole ant mound onto a tarp with the edges of the tarp folded over a few inches. The ants instantly start working to put the larvae in a safe spot and in a matter of an hour or so they will have moved all the larvae to the shady protection of the folded edges of the tarp. From here, the person can grab a nice handful and chow down. I needed to use the pot for planting that the ants were residing in so I watched them move their young to a new home after disturbing them. Efficient little buggers.

7. solar-powered flashlight - it's solar-powered...
The world's stupidest invention. In the majority of climates, the majority of times you will struggle to get a good charge, on top of that, even when you have the best conditions for charging you have to position it to get the best of it. AKA on top of your bag. I lost my solar charger (for phone) within 100 km of cycling because it was just impossible to secure without taping over half the panel.

And when wind-up/grip charging torches are so good it's a no-brainer decision.

I do use crank LED flashlights. One in my bedroom, one in my car. Has been 100% reliable so far, very efficient. Having said that, I don't know how long of life cranking recharge systems have. If I started using them every day, they might wear out pretty fast.

Solar powered flashlight, I think there will be use for it, but not if you are going to stay on the move for reason Evan noted. But if you are staying in one location, I guess you can find a spot where you can leave the flashlight to get a consistent charge. Maybe not the best technology for me(Oregon) or Evan(UK), but Shorty seems to be in California, so....... they have sun there. :P
Guns are useless because I'll just run out of ammo. Ammo is also a lot of weight to carry and will slow me down so knives are a lot more handy and useful and won't come as a dead-weight.
I do understand where you are coming from, because yes, ammo will eventually run out, they will weigh a lot, eventually, they might corrode, rust, etc. But two things:

1) How do you plan to hunt with a knife? :odd: I've never hunted, but it seems like there are very limited game you can hunt with a tool with such a short reach. Maybe a snake?

2) Ammo would not be impossible to come by, as some of the common rounds like .22LR, I don't think will every run out in our lifetime, at least not in the United States. I don't buy them, haven't bought them in a long time, and I have over thousand rounds. Most of my buddies who own a .22(guns) have just as many rounds, if not more. My coworker has ten thousand. :lol:

Even if you run out of your personal stock, I'm pretty confident something like that will always be available for trade. Same goes for the 12-gauge. Dirt cheap & abundant.
I personally prefer him to Grylls by a massive margin. As imakuni said he's much more understanding of his surroundings in that he reads up on what the locals do, uses really good bush craft and doesn't do reckless things that Grylls does for the cameras.

I just saw one of the videos, while I couldn't find the one you were referring to either...... He really did remind me of Survivorman(Les Stroud), whom I really enjoyed when he had a survival show. Netflix I think had 3 seasons of Survivorman, but he reportedly had to end the show due to filming taking too much toll on him, as each episode, he was on his own for one week, while filming the show all on his own. God, it's still my favorite survival show. I look forward to Ray Mears on youtube. Netflix doesn't have his show. :crazy:

I saw Ray Mears demonstrate a method of separating out the larvae from the dirt by way of throwing the whole ant mound onto a tarp with the edges of the tarp folded over a few inches. The ants instantly start working to put the larvae in a safe spot and in a matter of an hour or so they will have moved all the larvae to the shady protection of the folded edges of the tarp. From here, the person can grab a nice handful and chow down. I needed to use the pot for planting that the ants were residing in so I watched them move their young to a new home after disturbing them. Efficient little buggers.

Ray Mears is a legend, Bear Grylls is an annoying show off with a stupid name. Saying that I do think Grylls serves a worthy purpose of inspiring kids to spend time outdoors and join the Scouts etc which I very much doubt Mears would be much good at as he's less cool then most peoples dads.

As far as the top ten survival items it's probably irrelevant because I can't read a map so I'd get lost and die of exposure within a few days.

Ray Mears is a legend, Bear Grylls is an annoying show off with a stupid name. Saying that I do think Grylls serves a worthy purpose of inspiring kids to spend time outdoors and join the Scouts etc which I very much doubt Mears would be much good at as he's less cool then most peoples dads.

As far as the top ten survival items it's probably irrelevant because I can't read a map so I'd get lost and die of exposure within a few days.

I do share similar view as you on Ray Mears(in my case, Les Stroud)/Bear Grylls. Good point. 👍

On the "ten list", you don't have to go anywhere, if you didn't want to. Also, your survival doesn't have to be based on real life, like my "zombie apocalypse", or Vspec's thing, something to do with a dinosaurs. :lol:

On the "ten list", you don't have to go anywhere, if you didn't want to. Also, your survival doesn't have to be based on real life, like my "zombie apocalypse", or Vspec's thing, something to do with a dinosaurs. :lol:

Ah right, that'll explain all the heavy artillery ;) If it's dinosaurs then I'll just need my 4 years old son who pretty much spends all day every day fighting them :dopey:

I just saw one of the videos, while I couldn't find the one you were referring to either...... He really did remind me of Survivorman(Les Stroud), whom I really enjoyed when he had a survival show. Netflix I think had 3 seasons of Survivorman, but he reportedly had to end the show due to filming taking too much toll on him, as each episode, he was on his own for one week, while filming the show all on his own. God, it's still my favorite survival show. I look forward to Ray Mears on youtube. Netflix doesn't have his show. :crazy:
Yeah I couldn't find the video either which is why I gave a good description instead. It might have been his British based show.

He's good though, if for nothing else than not being too arrogant to ignore what the locals have done for a thousand years or so.

I plan on staying out of the cities because that's where most of the people would stay. I'm an outdoor person so I wouldn't mind being away from the city. It would also give me a head-start because once people realize that Raplh's and Walmart aren't going to be restocking, they'll make their way the forest. By then, I'll have an advantage over them.

How are you going to defend yourself from looters armed with guns? A skilled marksman can take you out from 500yds, your knife + arm has a range of 3 feet.
Ammo runs out? Sure, but you can stockpile thousands of rounds and store it in your basement. Even if you have to carry the ammo - I have 120 rifle rounds in my backpack- you are set for a months. Just think about it, if you hunt animals with it to survive you only shoot it once every three days - you could survive a year with the ammo you're carrying with you, and you'd have a great weapon to defend yourself with. Also if you're using a rifle chambered in a common round (.223,.308,.30-06 etc) chances are pretty good you can replenish your ammo. Heck, you could even barter with the ammo.
There is no reason not to use state of the art weaponry for self defense and hunting.

And as I said, stumble into gun toting looters with just a knife - you're so dead.

Things I'd grab from my house for zombie survival:

1) Guns (9mm, 0.38 Special Revolver)
2) Ammo (Many boxes of 9mm and 0.38 rounds)
3) Backpacks x2 with Camelbacks (can fill with bottled water in the kitchen if necessary)
4) Hatchet
5) First Aid Kit (with emergency blanket) I'd add some Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Vicodin and Percocet that I have lying around as well. Should be helpful for mild to severe injuries. I see lots of uses for painkillers in a future with zombies. Also add toilet paper.
6) Lighters (I have 5 around the house)
7) Maglights (2 big ones, and grab spare batteries)
8) Ramen noodles for humans and dry dog food for dogs (very efficient calories vs. weight)
9) Can Opener (for use when finding canned foods along the way), very small cooking pot.
10) GPS and spare batteries (my phone doesn't work on AAs)
11) I wish I had road flares

Can be assembled in less than 5 min.

I'd definitely wear hiking boots, long johns, jeans, and maybe my ski jacket (heavy, ventilated, waterproof, lots of pockets, hood), with a fleece layer underneith. I'd also grab the ski helmet.

Clothing can be assembled in less than 5 min.

Danno, you should upgrade your .38 with a .357 Magnum. I hear that you can still fire .38 with a .357 revolver, and .357's supposed to be one of the deadliest handgun caliber amongst commonly used rounds. I don't know if it's true, but I've repeatedly heard from people how .357's are the most trusted sidearm against bear attacks. Ruger GP100's I think are only around $600. I might get one in the future!
Yeah I couldn't find the video either which is why I gave a good description instead. It might have been his British based show.

He's good though, if for nothing else than not being too arrogant to ignore what the locals have done for a thousand years or so.
That was really thorough description. Thanks. 👍 Speaking of primitive survival, have you seen the Dual Survival?

Former Army Ranger + Primitive Survival Expert pair up to show us wilderness survival on TV. Those guys can be bit goofy at times, but as you expect, contrast in their survival philosophy makes for entertaining show. Looks like all the good stuff from the Discovery & History channel can be found on youtube. God bless those networks, and people making them available on youtube. 👍
How are you going to defend yourself from looters armed with guns? .........
I don't know if you have to have firearm to stay safe in the woods, as you might be able to just avoid people, but I still want to know what he plans to hunt with a knife. I'm no hunter or survival expert, but I'm gonna say that you couldn't keep yourself fed with animals that can be hunted with a knife. Prove me wrong Shorty!

That was really thorough description. Thanks. 👍 Speaking of primitive survival, have you seen the Dual Survival?

Former Army Ranger + Primitive Survival Expert pair up to show us wilderness survival on TV. Those guys can be bit goofy at times, but as you expect, contrast in their survival philosophy makes for entertaining show. Looks like all the good stuff from the Discovery & History channel can be found on youtube. God bless those networks, and people making them available on youtube. 👍

That was a great watch! Kind of like the two extremes of survival training trying to work together 👍

Is there bad blood between Ray Mears & Bear Grylls or something? *you can skip to 6:12 mark

Is Bear kidding, or does Ray Mears talk bit of smack about Bear Grylls? Either way, I thought Bear handled it well. In Les Stroud's(Survivorman) Q&A, I think I remember Les took bit of a light hearted shot at Bear, too.

I've seen Survivorman, Bear, and couple of videos by Ray Mears, and I think they are all great. I must say though, Ray Mears & Survivorman's survival are still way more practical, educational and all that stuff. :D

Is there bad blood between Ray Mears & Bear Grylls or something?

If anything i'd think that Mears would be slightly annoyed that Grylls is possibly risking the lives of others with the risks he takes - especially as his show is a "survival" show to those who don't know any better. Survival is about taking calculated risks, not jumping into moving glaciers like you are invincible.

Mears is a verified survivalist, Grylls is a adrenaline junkie/ clown/ source of entertainment. As much as I think Grylls makes good TV, I'd rather use Mears' techniques in a real situation.

Think about this: Survivalist War. The Ultimate Camp-Off!

les Hiddins would probably win. :)

Mears is a verified survivalist, Grylls is a adrenaline junkie/ clown/ source of entertainment. As much as I think Grylls makes good TV, I'd rather use Mears' techniques in a real situation.

Think about this: Survivalist War. The Ultimate Camp-Off!

les Hiddins would probably win. :)

Bear is ex-SAS, so definately knows his stuff, but his shows are, as you said, pure entertainment.

Back