Survival Thread

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 343 comments
I'm 13 stones/182 lbs/83 Kg, about 14 lbs over what I'd call lean but I'm still planning to run a 3.5 hour marathon and have a good turn of pace. I am hoping to cut down in the next 2 months to be nearer my lean weight so lets hope things don't go off the rails this summer!

An ancient (Ok, not SUPER old) Filipino machete made from old car springs.
How can you even suggest ancient when it's made from old car springs?

For some reason, it isn't as tough as it seems, and the "sharp" end has dented in quite badly.
Because it's purely for show. It's not really a tool, but a piece of craftsmanship.

: As much as I wish I was bit bigger, had more strength in me, it doesn't make much sense for me to try to go from being a quick & agile build to big & strong at my age(37).

Don't say that, you'd be amazed of how much you can change yourself in just one year, and you don't need to be in your 20's to bulk up.
Get yourself some free weights (you don't need a gym) and start working out, you wont regret it. If you need any advice let me know, I have 5 years of weightlifting under my belt.

You know, if your shotgun runs out of ammo you'll need your built-in guns to defend yourself. :scared:

Vspec & Evan's a runner, huh? I don't wanna brag or nothin', but I've come so close to running a whole mile. Many times(I was even on a track team lol).
All this talk of big sharp knives called machetes makes me want to bring mine out:

An ancient (Ok, not SUPER old) Filipino machete made from old car springs. And the handle is made of some bovine horn, with a man carved out of the end!

For some reason, it isn't as tough as it seems, and the "sharp" end has dented in quite badly. Still, makes quite the intimidation piece for my friends not to steal anything from my room:mischievous:
It appears in the first pic that I am sinking the tip into my wrist. I AM NOT.
While I'd hate to rely on that as my survival machete, that is badass, isn't it? 👍 Old suspension spring recycled as machete with a killer grip, what's not to like? :D

P.S. If you have to worry about them stealing something from your room, they are not your friends. Maybe I've been just lucky, but I never had to worry about my peeps stealing my stuff. :crazy:
Don't say that, you'd be amazed of how much you can change yourself in just one year, and you don't need to be in your 20's to bulk up.
Get yourself some free weights (you don't need a gym) and start working out, you wont regret it. If you need any advice let me know, I have 5 years of weightlifting under my belt.
I used to lift weights, but I don't think I've ever weighed over 165lbs. But at one time, I was able to power clean SQUAT around 400lbs. I still remember the sound the weights & the support rack made when I tried to power clean SQUAT 425lbs. I have never dropped so fast in my life. Talk about a flash. :lol: Bench press? Yeah, I was not big on the bench press. :lol:
You know, if your shotgun runs out of ammo you'll need your built-in guns to defend yourself. :scared:
My guns are small, but lightning quick. :sly: I didn't grow out of fighting until well into high school, but I never lost a fight. Well, I lost one fight, but I was three, and you should have seen the other guy(he was a first grader lol).

I'm quick, and I'm fully aware of the strengths & weaknesses to my game. I know I'm not gonna beat anybody with power, but I can strike quick, and where it hurts. I also play dirty, and likes weapons(preferably a rod or pipe).

My kid brother was a semi-pro cage fighter(or ultimate fighter, I don't know what they are called), and went damn near undefeated. I'd like to think it's in the genes. :P

Last edited:
a6m5
Vspec & Evan's a runner, huh? I don't wanna brag or nothin', but I've come so close to running a whole mile. Many times(I was even on a track team lol).

While I'd hate to rely on that as my survival machete, that is badass, isn't it? 👍 Old suspension spring recycled as machete with a killer grip, what's not to like? :D

P.S. If you have to worry about them stealing something from your room, they are not your friends. Maybe I've been just lucky, but I never had to worry about my peeps stealing my stuff. :crazy:

I used to lift weights, but I don't think I've ever weighed over 165lbs. But at one time, I was able to power clean around 400lbs. I still remember the sound the weights & the support rack made when I tried to power clean 425lbs. I have never dropped so fast in my life. Talk about a flash. :lol: Bench press? Yeah, I was not big on the bench press. :lol:

My guns are small, but lightning quick. :sly: I didn't grow out of fighting until well into high school, but I never lost a fight. Well, I lost one fight, but I was three, and you should have seen the other guy(he was a first grader lol).

I'm quick, and I'm fully aware of the strengths & weaknesses to my game. I know I'm not gonna beat anybody with power, but I can strike quick, and where it hurts. I also play dirty, and likes weapons(preferably a rod or pipe).

My kid brother was a semi-pro cage fighter(or ultimate fighter, I don't know what they are called), and went damn near undefeated. I'd like to think it's in the genes. :P

:eek::eek:

Your kid bro is a semi-pro fighter?!:eek:👍

Nice! Does he fight in the UFC? That's really cool to see him whip some butt in the ring on TV, online stream or live. :D

:eek::eek:

Your kid bro is a semi-pro fighter?!:eek:👍

Nice! Does he fight in the UFC? That's really cool to see him whip some butt in the ring on TV, online stream or live. :D

He teaches now. He wasn't in UFC or anything, but one fight that I did attend(only fight of any kind I ever attended), the guy he fought against was trained by BJ Penn from UFC. So Penn was there, and it was the main event fight. I guess my brother beat all opponents by KO or submission until that point, but this one was his first win by decision(it was unanimous).

Edit:
a6m5
I used to lift weights, but I don't think I've ever weighed over 165lbs. But at one time, I was able to power clean around 400lbs. I still remember the sound the weights & the support rack made when I tried to power clean 425lbs. I have never dropped so fast in my life. Talk about a flash. :lol: Bench press? Yeah, I was not big on the bench press. :lol:
Not power clean, squat. My bad. :lol: They just said "squat" in the movie I was watching, and it clicked in my head. All the steroids in the world would not allow me to power clean 400lbs. :lol:

Last edited:
My one-man survival and hiking tent, it has a really low silhouette (approx 1 meter, its super easy to hide it behind some hip-high bushes), weighs 4.5 lbs and can be set up in 5 minutes. Its also surprisingly wind resistant. (It gets lots of downforce in 5mph+ winds :lol: )

Tent2.jpg

Last edited:
My one-man survival and hiking tent, it has a really low silhouette (approx 1 meter, its super easy to hide it behind some hip-high bushes), weighs 4.5 lbs and can be set up in 5 minutes. Its also surprisingly wind resistant. (It gets lots of downforce in 5mph+ winds :lol: )
*Tent*
Can you sit-up straight in it? That's a real bonus when trying to dress or eat and something I was grateful for in Aus.

These are the tents my friend and I used. Lush piece of grass at Carabbin RH, Western Australia and the guy didn't even charge us :) They were good, spacious for 1 person (advertised as 2 but that'd be intimate) but didn't quite withstand everything that was thrown at it. His succumbed to 120 km/h winds and a bull dust storm and mine had a mouse chew it's way through the ventilation mesh one night. That was a surprise when I went to sleep!

50ru40.jpg

Alternatively, a guy I met along the way was using this. Which, I thought was useless. Had 2 poles, was very low, and he had to store stuff under a tarp.

288rtiq.jpg

They are both really nice tents. 👍 Point taken on the height of the tent. I have been in one that was really compact, but it was so low, you even had to crawl in & out of it. Also good point on wind, rain and other elements.

Which manufacturer or model are your tents? I haven't actually owned one in a long time.

P.S. Mouse chewing its' way inside at night would be pretty scary, actually. :lol:

I don't see the point of having a big and roomy tent, a tent is portable shelter for sleeping and nothing else, not for reading books or playing cards with friends in it. I want it to be as compact and light as possible.
Last time I was hiking in the mountains I walked/climbed for 12 hours without a single break, set up my tent, crawled into it and fell asleep.
If I could choose between a 5lbs tent that has enough room to sit in it and a 4 lbs tent that is nothing more than an ultra efficient glorified sleeping bag I would take the latter every time.

I don't see the point of having a big and roomy tent, a tent is portable shelter for sleeping and nothing else, not for reading books or playing cards with friends in it. I want it to be as compact and light as possible.
Last time I was hiking in the mountains I walked/climbed for 12 hours without a single break, set up my tent, crawled into it and fell asleep.
If I could choose between a 5lbs tent that has enough room to sit in it and a 4 lbs tent that is nothing more than an ultra efficient glorified sleeping bag I would take the latter every time.

Yeah, I do understand your take on the tent. As with everything else, there are different philosophy involved in choosing one. Even for a survival tent, I'm sure there will be scenarios where roomy tent would be preferred. But I can also see if security, or mobility are concern, then you definitely want a tent that is portable and compact.

I like your tent. I don't camp anymore, but I should look for a emergency/survival one. 👍

Edit: I forgot, what do you guys think about Bivys? Aren't they like sleeping bag meets tent?

Hammock and basha ftw!
I didn't know people did that, not until I started watching survival shows on Discovery!

Last edited:
Which manufacturer or model are your tents? I haven't actually owned one in a long time.

P.S. Mouse chewing its' way inside at night would be pretty scary, actually. :lol:
My tent is a Coleman Bedrock 2. Again, not a great tent but it did what it needed to for the time period we needed it.

And yeah, the mouse was pretty freaky. I was like a little girl. I ended up emptying my entire tent onto a tarp, pulling the liner out and then shaking it to make sure the little git was out. All with a head torch on. My mate just sat in his tent listening and giggling.

The worst part was I mentioned this to a kid in the next town and he explained it should have been as easy as spot-lighting the mouse, picking it up and throwing it out. Doh!

Then I'd have to recommend a Bivvy bag or an Australian Swag bag. They are quite literally a weather proof sleeping bag.

However, I think you're underestimating the the need for shelter. Weather conditions don't always permit you to be outside of your tent (I had one day which was heavy rain and 30 km/h headwinds, would have made poor progress and got soaked) so the extra space allowing you to stretch (important on inactive days in extended periods of exercise), eat and maintain some sanity are very much worth that extra 1 lb of weight, IMO.

Anything short of an apocalyptic snow storm couldn't stop me from leaving my tent to carry on with the hiking, been there, done that. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a tent with nothing to do no matter how big it is. (Not talking about Tibetan nomadic tents, lol)
I usually don't carry entertainment devices, books or games with when I'm in the wilds. (except my trusty old MP3/4 player)

or an Australian Swag bag. They are quite literally a weather proof sleeping bag.
Just googled them, nice, I want one now! :dopey:

Well this is the list to you all been waiting for. And I give you my Dinosaur Return List...........

Who knows when they will return. Russian and Japanese scientists are teaming up to bring back the tyrant wooly mammoth, a ancient elephant, from the grave back to reality once again from it's DNA from the marrow inside its bones or a preserved mammoth. If successful with the mammoth, they can try to bring back the dinos from DNA by preserved mosquitos in amber by gene splicing or rebuilding it with modern reptile and/or bird DNA.

Or what about a genius scientist who invented the time machine, a machine that runs from a energy core reactor; high tech computers and a portal time gate. But it goes horribly wrong and bring the Jurassic and Cretaeous periods back infused with our time.

Whatever scene happens, the reptilians will be walking on their twos, fours, flying in the air and roaming the seas again. To survive, espically since there's more carinvores(mostly theropods) gonna be eating people and sauropods crushing things in sight. We need to either kill them or send them back to their period. But to succeed, we need weapons, items and food to ensure our survivial rate. So here's the list:

1. A 45. ACP Handgun: It's lightweight like a 9mm handgun, but powerful like a .50 AE or .357 rounds. Can be silenced, have extended clip and be equipped with a laser sight. Good against raptors and smaller dinos and hostile humans when I run into any.

2. Machete: A strong stainless steel blade. Perfect for cutting leaves, small dinos and Raptors. Can be used for many tasks that requires something being cut.

3. Shotgun: Either a Remington 870 or a SPAS-12. These will be a excellent source for if I was in a narrow section or brave enough to rush a dino. The buckshot will stop Raptors in their tracks to even a Allosouroid if aimed at a weak spot.

4. M16 A2: With a scope, laser, M203 launcher and a extended clip. This will be a important weapon on my list, because I can use it on tougher and bigger dinosaurs ranging from Allosourids, tyrant dinos like Spinosaurous and even a charging or attacking Tricereatops.

5. Reliable clothing: Good hiking boots, long socks, kakahi pants with side pockets, t-shirt with button up shirt. These types of clothes will provide protection from the weather and can last long until I need to change or wash them.

6. Tactical vest: A vest that acts like armor and has holisters for small weapons like my .45 or a knife. Have a clip for a few grenades to hold for easy equip.

7. GPS system or a map: To help me find refuge like a base where other survivors might be located. Grocery stores for raiding and using for a HQ base if needed. But if satelite signals don't work, I'll use the map for guidance.

8. Beef jekry and water: If I can't find a grocery store for awhile, at least having 3-5 sticks of jekry and two bottle waters can do me good for some time.

9. My iPod touch: Feels great blasting reptiles with gansta rap or metal blasting in my ears. And it can serve also as a GPS, Internet
browsing, have photos and videos to look at and if it was a iPhone, communication with other survivors out there.

10. Stun gun: A 600-800k volt stun weapon that can be used to KO a dino or a hostile person. Great for sneaky situations that I can use to my advantage and save my handgun's ammo supply.

So if the dinos come back, I'll be ready. Let's tango Megaraptor, I'll send you to heck! :mischievous:👍

VspecZR1GT2RS89
Well this is the list to you all been waiting for. And I give you my Dinosaur Return List...........

Who knows when they will return. Russian and Japanese scientists are teaming up to bring back the tyrant wooly mammoth, a ancient elephant, from the grave back to reality once again from it's DNA from the marrow inside its bones or a preserved mammoth. If successful with the mammoth, they can try to bring back the dinos from DNA by preserved mosquitos in amber by gene splicing or rebuilding it with modern reptile and/or bird DNA.

Or what about a genius scientist who invented the time machine, a machine that runs from a energy core reactor; high tech computers and a portal time gate. But it goes horribly wrong and bring the Jurassic and Cretaeous periods back infused with our time.

Whatever scene happens, the reptilians will be walking on their twos, fours, flying in the air and roaming the seas again. To survive, espically since there's more carinvores(mostly theropods) gonna be eating people and sauropods crushing things in sight. We need to either kill them or send them back to their period. But to succeed, we need weapons, items and food to ensure our survivial rate. So here's the list:

1. A 45. ACP Handgun: It's lightweight like a 9mm handgun, but powerful like a .50 AE or .357 rounds. Can be silenced, have extended clip and be equipped with a laser sight. Good against raptors and smaller dinos and hostile humans when I run into any.

2. Machete: A strong stainless steel blade. Perfect for cutting leaves, small dinos and Raptors. Can be used for many tasks that requires something being cut.

3. Shotgun: Either a Remington 870 or a SPAS-12. These will be a excellent source for if I was in a narrow section or brave enough to rush a dino. The buckshot will stop Raptors in their tracks to even a Allosouroid if aimed at a weak spot.

4. M16 A2: With a scope, laser, M203 launcher and a extended clip. This will be a important weapon on my list, because I can use it on tougher and bigger dinosaurs ranging from Allosourids, tyrant dinos like Spinosaurous and even a charging or attacking Tricereatops.

5. Reliable clothing: Good hiking boots, long socks, kakahi pants with side pockets, t-shirt with button up shirt. These types of clothes will provide protection from the weather and can last long until I need to change or wash them.

6. Tactical vest: A vest that acts like armor and has holisters for small weapons like my .45 or a knife. Have a clip for a few grenades to hold for easy equip.

7. GPS system or a map: To help me find refuge like a base where other survivors might be located. Grocery stores for raiding and using for a HQ base if needed. But if satelite signals don't work, I'll use the map for guidance.

8. Beef jekry and water: If I can't find a grocery store for awhile, at least having 3-5 sticks of jekry and two bottle waters can do me good for some time.

9. My iPod touch: Feels great blasting reptiles with gansta rap or metal blasting in my ears. And it can serve also as a GPS, Internet
browsing, have photos and videos to look at and if it was a iPhone, communication with other survivors out there.

10. Stun gun: A 600-800k volt stun weapon that can be used to KO a dino or a hostile person. Great for sneaky situations that I can use to my advantage and save my handgun's ammo supply.

So if the dinos come back, I'll be ready. Let's tango Megaraptor, I'll send you to heck! :mischievous:👍

Lol I would like to have dinos. But I'm pretty sure scientists wouldn't want to clone any dangerous dinosaurs. I mean come on. We've seen Jurassic park!

KillYouSD
Lol I would like to have dinos. But I'm pretty sure scientists wouldn't want to clone any dangerous dinosaurs. I mean come on. We've seen Jurassic park!

True, but it's something different though. :lol:

Yeah maybe scientists won't try to bring them back for a loooonnngg time, since the DNA expired millions of years ago, so the chances are slim. So resurecting the mammoth or sabertooth tiger looks tameable compared to the reptilians. And after JP, alot of people do want to see them again living among us, but I could be costly.:scared:

Or we could take the Dino Crisis path with a complex time machine, but the dangers of overriding the power levels and warping the modern world to the Mezosioc era or vice-versa. Thinking of a system overload can be MUCH worse than DNA rebuilding/splicing. :nervous:

But if it does happen, I'm gonna try and have a army of utahraptors at my disposal. Hehe. :D

VspecZR1GT2RS89
Or we could take the Dino Crisis path with a complex time machine, but the dangers of overriding the power levels and warping the modern world to the Mezosioc era or vice-versa. Thinking of a system overload can be MUCH worse than DNA rebuilding/splicing. :nervous:

Not to rain on anybody's parade but I don't really think time travel is possible. I mean how could you go back in time with a time machine if there isn't any machine to go back to? If scientists did create a time machine they would have to wait years to use it (unless they feel like going back a day... oh well that's just what I think. Anyways back on topic with the tent thing, has anybody ever felt like digging like a foxhole next to the base of a tree and putting a tarp over the hole hanging on a branch? I think that would make a nice shelter for a while in a survival situation.

Anyways back on topic with the tent thing, has anybody ever felt like digging like a foxhole next to the base of a tree and putting a tarp over the hole hanging on a branch? I think that would make a nice shelter for a while in a survival situation.
That's a lot of effort to sleep in the mud. I think you'd be better finding a low branching bush to take cover under and use the tarp for all round protection from the damp.

Foxholes can be used for:

* Very effective cover against shrapnel and bomb shock waves
* Cover for mortar troops
* Sniper cover & observation hole

I would definitely dig one if I had to defend a position against quickly advancing enemy forces if I didn't have the time to build something better, its the worst shelter you can imagine, its very cold, very wet, you can't move and if it starts to rain.....terrible!
In fact they're even dangerous, from the permanent moisture you can get a bad case of trench foot, walking will be a pain in the arse...

My jaw is still dropped from that dinosaur list. I also have to bring up the Jurassic Park movie. Buckshot might wake one of those raptors, but I doubt it will even slow down medium to larger one's. If I had a buckshot, I'll probably use it to off myself, sparing the agony of being eaten alive, or getting torn into pieces by one of them. :nervous:

a6m5
My jaw is still dropped from that dinosaur list. I also have to bring up the Jurassic Park movie. Buckshot might wake one of those raptors, but I doubt it will even slow down medium to larger one's. If I had a buckshot, I'll probably use it to off myself, sparing the agony of being eaten alive, or getting torn into pieces by one of them. :nervous:

Or go underground. It will be a safer retreat to use as a last resort. Maybe a powerful buckshot shells, like magnum shells can be useful on Allosaurids. On Dino Crisis 2, Dylan's shotgun can be used against the Allosaurs by shooting their sides or at the front, but they're quick on their feet, just like the ones on dino documentaries. So it would be best to use a M16/M4/AK-47 with gernade launcher as a defense(launcher) and the rifle for offence.

And using a scoped rifle and shooting the eyes is a advantage also. A preadator will be useless without his eyes. So taking out a eye will be a smart move. ;)

Last edited:
If I had to shoot oversized lizards with buckshot I would NOT want magnum buckshot. Its pretty funny that magnum buckshot has LESS penetration than standart buckshot, even though the pellets have more velocity the pellets are made of soft lead and the extra energy will make them expand more & faster, they'll flatten out faster - this results in LESS penetration. I would use plated standard buckshot, plated pellets dont expand as fast as pure lead buckshot.

Its still a very bad choice for defence against big critters, it would just piss them off. What is used against real life dangerous animals? Bear protection? Hardcast shotgun slugs and hard heavy long rifle bullets at moderate velocities. (.45-70, .458 winMag) . If I was stuck on a dino infested island I'd carry a dependable 45-70 lever action with a long tube (7+1 shots) some hot hardcast 510 grain bullets @ 1500 fp/s. Those drop bears with no problems.
Like a Winchester 1886 .45-70

PCH61263-1-large.jpg

Dislike an Elephant rifle because 90% of them are doubles and sloooooow to reload. A properly loaded 45-70 can take elephant and it has 7+1 in the tank, I can also empty all 8 of them into the target in less then ten seconds.

At this point, why not a mounted machine gun. M249 should do the job, or you can always go bigger. :rolleyes: :lol:

If you are going to go mounted, then why a M249? The M249 fires the 5.56x45mm round. With the mount, might as well step up and fire something with the 7.62x51mm round instead. Or if you are really feeling adventurous, the Ma Deuce is always an option.

Latest Posts

Back