Suzuki Jimny (2019)

The new one's a metre longer than her original and 300kg heavier.
First bit yes, second bit no. Original Vitara was, from what I can see, 1010kg. Entry-level version of the latest car is 1075kg (or less than an entry-level 2019 Fiesta).

Jimny does sound like the ideal solution in this scenario, but my point was that the current Vitara isn't far off being the MX-5 of SUVs as far as relatively small increases in weight and size are concerned.

First bit yes, second bit no. Original Vitara was, from what I can see, 1010kg. Entry-level version of the latest car is 1075kg (or less than an entry-level 2019 Fiesta).

The salesperson said this one weighed around 1250kg, that's where I got the figure... we didn't get into what model it was. The looks/size were enough to put her off.

Hairdresser or Young Farmer?

The second, thank God. It was superseded by a Sportrak which to be honest I'd choose over a Vitara any day.

The second, thank God.
:lol:

I was talking to a woman in her early 40s once (I do it a lot, but that's beyond the realm of this anecdote) and she told me she had an Audi TT. She was very taken aback when I correctly, first time, guessed she was cabin crew.

Some stereotypes are true :D

The salesperson said this one weighed around 1250kg, that's where I got the figure... we didn't get into what model it was. The looks/size were enough to put her off.

The second, thank God. It was superseded by a Sportrak which to be honest I'd choose over a Vitara any day.
Looking up the current Vitara, the top-of-the-line AWD S with the 1.4 turbo only weighs 1210kg. Maybe it was a diesel model you looked at? Mind you, even 1250kg is about the same as a Vauxhall Corsa VXR...

Looking up the current Vitara, the top-of-the-line AWD S with the 1.4 turbo only weighs 1210kg. Maybe it was a diesel model you looked at? Mind you, even 1250kg is about the same as a Vauxhall Corsa VXR...

Perhaps so, the original comment was how heavy it seems in comparison to the original. I know they're all 5-door now and the '88 was only a 3-door, but that in comparison with the size just made it seem... too big for Mrs. Ten. She's got her heart set on something with the look/feel of her beloved Vitara, however good the new one may be in its own context it's still significantly larger and the idea of the weight is putting her off.

Back on-topic, she's online Jimny-shopping (1100kg, the car not Mrs. Ten) in earnest, we'll have to see what happens.

Perhaps so, the original comment was how heavy it seems in comparison to the original. I know they're all 5-door now and the '88 was only a 3-door, but that in comparison with the size just made it seem... too big for Mrs. Ten. She's got her heart set on something with the look/feel of her beloved Vitara, however good the new one may be in its own context it's still significantly larger and the idea of the weight is putting her off.

Back on-topic, she's online Jimny-shopping (1100kg, the car not Mrs. Ten) in earnest, we'll have to see what happens.
That's very true. Compared to other crossovers it's very light indeed, but compared to older cars it's always going to be bulkier.

Personally I'd suggest trying a basic (or mid range SZT with sat nav and reverse camera) 1.6 petrol model for a drive - I used to work for Suzuki, and having driven one they have very similar characteristics to a Swift (in front wheel drive guise, I can't say I'd bother with AWD, at that point you might as well get the Jimny - I would). They feel lighter than they are, especially compared to 3 door Grand Vitaras I've driven. They're really very easy, nimble cars to drive.

Still think I'd prefer a Jimny just on charm though...

It may be worth noting that it is a terrible, terrible road car (better than the old one, but so is being fired at your destination from a trebuchet), but also that the entire first year UK allocation* sold out before I did the launch in February and the waiting list is over a year. Probably means used prices are way over list price too.

*1,300 cars; it's huge in Japan because the non-Sierra body meets Kei regs, so supply elsewhere is restricted. It's also terrible for emissions [and thus fuel economy] so Suzuki can't sell many in Europe or it'll blow its fleet CO2 averages.

It may be worth noting that it is a terrible, terrible road car (better than the old one, but so is being fired at your destination from a trebuchet), but also that the entire first year UK allocation* sold out before I did the launch in February and the waiting list is over a year. Probably means used prices are way over list price too.

*1,300 cars; it's huge in Japan because the non-Sierra body meets Kei regs, so supply elsewhere is restricted. It's also terrible for emissions [and thus fuel economy] so Suzuki can't sell many in Europe or it'll blow its fleet CO2 averages.

I'm not 100% keen on the idea, I think she's better off with a Swift (if she must have a Suzuki). A couple of her ex-colleagues at Historic England have them so she's driven an older one (she thinks a 2006) a few times, she thought it was great off-road... some of the hill country would have been not far from you so you can probably imagine the terrain type.

I'm not 100% keen on the idea, I think she's better off with a Swift (if she must have a Suzuki). A couple of her ex-colleagues at Historic England have them so she's driven an older one (she thinks a 2006) a few times, she thought it was great off-road... some of the hill country would have been not far from you so you can probably imagine the terrain type.
Could always try a 2010-onwards Swift 4x4. My Dad owns a 2016 Swift front wheel drive (same shape) and it's one of the most reliable cars I've ever seen, cheap to run and drives really, really well. I honestly wouldn't recommend any other hatchback (as long as you don't care what the interior looks like).

Could always try a 2010-onwards Swift 4x4. My Dad owns a 2016 Swift front wheel drive (same shape) and it's one of the most reliable cars I've ever seen, cheap to run and drives really, really well. I honestly wouldn't recommend any other hatchback (as long as you don't care what the interior looks like).
So Suzuki actually offers 4WD for the Swift? Never even knew that until now.

So Suzuki actually offers 4WD for the Swift? Never even knew that until now.
00039d1e8f6f-5d58-4100-8.jpg

I've never seen one here. Neither an import.

00039d1e8f6f-5d58-4100-8.jpg

I've never seen one here. Neither an import.
The closest thing to the Swift that came to my mind was the SX4, which actually has 4WD and if I'm not mistaken, has also participated in the WRC before.

The closest thing to the Swift that came to my mind was the SX4, which actually has 4WD
The Swift 4x4 also actually has 4WD. It's not too different from the system in the FIAT Panda, as it happens (which should come as no surprise, because the SX4 was also the FIAT Sedici).

Suzuki also offers 4WD in the Ignis... which also has a mild-hybrid system, and yet still comes in at 870kg (about 1900lb).

The Swift 4x4 also actually has 4WD. It's not too different from the system in the FIAT Panda, as it happens (which should come as no surprise, because the SX4 was also the FIAT Sedici).

Suzuki also offers 4WD in the Ignis... which also has a mild-hybrid system, and yet still comes in at 870kg (about 1900lb).
Intriguing.

Especially I've never heard of any Asian mini hatchback that's offered with a 4WD system aside from this one. And that's not considering some kei cars which have it.

You probably have. ;)
car_341_46737_555f353ca9b89.jpg
:lol:

I was actually thinking of something of the same class which could have been offered with it in our market before. Unfortunately, that one didn't count so it wasn't in my thoughts at all.

But yes, that's 4WD. So good find there. :)

You also have the Subaru Justy in the mid 90s that just happened to be a Suzuki Swift underneath to bring this thread full circle!

I don't half miss my Swift Sport when I hit a twisty road in the B7 barge. Super little thing. Enough so I'd recommend them and other Suzis all day long. No fuss, just do a job with a hint of character and a deftness missing from too many cars.

VXR
You also have the Subaru Justy in the mid 90s that just happened to be a Suzuki Swift underneath to bring this thread full circle!

I don't half miss my Swift Sport when I hit a twisty road in the B7 barge. Super little thing. Enough so I'd recommend them and other Suzis all day long. No fuss, just do a job with a hint of character and a deftness missing from too many cars.
It's as though Suzuki carry that motorcycle ethos over to their cars. Something Honda need to think about doing again(the S660 is kinda sorta there).

The more I look at the Jimny, the more I think it's the car Land Rover should have made to replace the Defender. A Defender replacement wouldn't be a miliatry vehicle, so drop the Defender name. It's similar in size to an 88 inch Series II/III, so call it the Series IV, give it a few styling cues from the original Series cars and watch the orders roll in. Even if they just stuck a Land Rover badge on a Jimny they'd make money. It'll never happen - JLR are too busy with a grumpy looking copy/paste range used to tackle the school run - but if Suzuki can do it, there's no reason Land Rover can't.

Roo
The more I look at the Jimny, the more I think it's the car Land Rover should have made to replace the Defender. A Defender replacement wouldn't be a miliatry vehicle, so drop the Defender name. It's similar in size to an 88 inch Series II/III, so call it the Series IV, give it a few styling cues from the original Series cars and watch the orders roll in. Even if they just stuck a Land Rover badge on a Jimny they'd make money. It'll never happen - JLR are too busy with a grumpy looking copy/paste range used to tackle the school run - but if Suzuki can do it, there's no reason Land Rover can't.

The one thing JLR didn't need to do was change the look of the Defender, the new one looks more like a Freelander successor. Things like the Jimny, G-Wagon, Wrangler etc are examples of this sort of thing done right.

Roo
are too busy with a grumpy looking copy/paste range used to tackle the school run
That basically sounds more like what Mitsubishi's been doing with their car designs these days.

By the way, if Land Rover had this Jimny's design in one of their new cars, wouldn't it be, you know, just overpriced?

By the way, if Land Rover had this Jimny's design in one of their new cars, wouldn't it be, you know, just overpriced?

Undoubtedly :indiff:... and it would, at least in the UK, still sell out.

Roo
Undoubtedly :indiff:... and it would, at least in the UK, still sell out.
Yeah. On another note though, if they really did this let's say, it will probably have a more premium interior than what the new Jimny actually has today. :D

Still wishing Suzuki would bring this little thing to the states. I could see them being really popular in CA, if nowhere else.

Back