Suzuki Jimny (2019)

United States
Marin County
Haven't really been paying attention to this segment (mostly because it doesn't exist in the USA) but I stumbled upon a few reviews of the brand new Suzuki Jimny and I'm totally in love with it. I kind of want to move to Europe so I can own one. :lol: In all seriousness, the US car market is becoming an increasingly boring place to shop (if you aren't interested in mega-powered muscle cars, of course). Even 10 years ago the variety was much better.

Enjoy:

Cliff notes:

-Ladder frame
-Solid axles at both ends with low range gearbox
-Off road capable out of the box
-Limited interior space
-Meager power and non-stellar road manners

I would buy one today, if Suzuki sold them here. In fact I really miss just having Suzuki in the US market. Their cars have always been a little unique, a little fun.

:dopey::dopey:👍👍:D:cheers::cheers:

edit: Another video of a Japanese guy silently explaining/demonstrating the interior:

Last edited:
edit: Another video of a Japanese guy silently explaining/demonstrating the interior:
He is giving an exceptional meaning to the phrase: "no comment".

It seems to be a little fun off road car. Gives a whole new meaning to multi purpose vehicle.

Finally seen my first one in the wild:
IMG_20190128_170318.jpg

I think this Jimny is a pretty cool little machine! :) If Suzuki sold automobiles in the United States again, I wouldn't mind seeing the Jimny be sold here.

Instantly 2019 Car of the Year! Saw a white one today with dealer plates driven from the stock lot to the dealership. Both places down the road from me.

It's awesome. Look like it can run over the old model. Think I'll be having a look tomorrow.

Last edited:
Instantly 3019 Car of the Year! Saw a white one today with dealer plates driven from the stock lot to the dealership. Both places down the road from me.

It's awesome. Look like it can run over the old model. Think I'll be having a look tomorrow.

:lol:

My comment still stands...
IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_6544.JPG
IMG_6545.JPG
IMG_6546.JPG
IMG_6547.JPG

Ivory one is Auto. Kinetic Yellow/manual. The demo manual was out on a test drive. Have to get in line. I'd get the Jungle(dark) green. Not sure of the trim levels for either.

In the metal, the nose looks more H2/H3 Hummer, than Jeep Wrangler. Front seats are still close together like the previous model. Tyres are 195/65-16 on nice alloys.

It's so awesome a car/cycle company, still makes this little thing. Without driving it and even if you don't need it, everyone should have one.

Quirky little car, as someone who's working for a Suzuki dealership it's actually a word that's basically forbidden now for us. The demand is so incredibly high, that we're simply not able to order them anymore nor are we able to provide every customer with one.

We're already looking at about 12+ months of delivery time, it's crazy.

According to a Road and Track Magazine article online, American drivers don't want the Jimny if it were to be sold here. Some would rather a decently-equipped Jeep more than this quirky machine. Still- I think the Jimny is a pretty cool little machine! Maybe if you're thinking serious off-roader, avoid this one like the plague. It would probably serve well as an urban utility. Though maybe not an urban utility like the Nissan Kicks or the Kia Soul or something like that.

[OMISSION] It's strange to believe Suzuki no longer sold automobiles for over six or so years in the United States. Wasn't sure how long it was since Suzuki sold automobiles such as the Aerio and Grand Vitara and such.

According to a Road and Track Magazine article online, American drivers don't want the Jimny if it were to be sold here. Some would rather a decently-equipped Jeep more than this quirky machine. Still- I think the Jimny is a pretty cool little machine! Maybe if you're thinking serious off-roader, avoid this one like the plague. It would probably serve well as an urban utility. Though maybe not an urban utility like the Nissan Kicks or the Kia Soul or something like that.

[OMISSION] It's strange to believe Suzuki no longer sold automobiles for over six or so years in the United States. Wasn't sure how long it was since Suzuki sold automobiles such as the Aerio and Grand Vitara and such.
I'd say the Jimny is very much a serious off roader. It's got solid axles, body on frame construction, and a proper low range transfer box. It's more of a mini G-wagon than anything, it's even got a steering box rather than a rack and pinion setup.

What about Dacia Duster? Useful on road as much as it is off-road, can seat four people comfortably, has a good trunk and costs equally. It may not be for serious off-roading, but rarely anyone does that, and it is a perfect trade-off considering what it gets instead.

I would choose the Jimny over the G-class anyday, but outside that ring, it is hard to justify its purchase unless all you do is off-roading.

The Jimmy would make sense as a second car, if your doing alot of driving body on frame wouldn't be the most pleasant to drive, even though people here use Hilux and Ranger Dualcabs as Family cars so who knows.

It's not bad on fuel, just comes down to the fact it's not going to be comfortable as a daily. I don't drive that much so it would be fine for me and would give me an excuse to go offroading, but I'm not in a position to get one so meh.

Can Suzuki bring the Jimny to the US as side by side atv, Mahindra Roxor is sold in the US as one?
That's like a Mini Moke "all jacked up on Mountain Dew!". ;)

Edit: The Jimny is pretty common here in Newcastle. Saw several standard versions yesterday. Drove behind one just now this morning. It's a good runabout. Doesn't take up space, carries a sole driver and passenger to wherever.

One of the things about living next beaches, Some require a 4x4 to access. We've also got dunes just across from the CBD. People do need a vehicle that can go offroad. A soft roaster like the CX-3 and RAV4, in standard guise, will have a problem. I have seen 1st gen CR-Vs lifted, snorkels fitted, with more aggressive off-road rubber. So, it is possible to modify those softroaders to do limited off-road duty.

We'll see how successful the new one is.

Last edited:
I really, very, extremely want a Jimny. I have nowhere near the money for one, but it would be so nice to have, in this part of australia where quirky offroad tracks are within an hours drive in every single direction.

Mrs. Ten (spends a lot of time working at old churches off the beaten track) wanted to look at a Suzuki Vitara, it was her favouritist car she ever had. The current Vitara is a bloated, soulless ghost of its former self. I suggested it might suit Mrs. Ten very well.

Then she saw a picture of a Jimny in the showroom, looks like we might be getting one.

Seeing more on the road, totally forgot about this thread. The same Jungle Green Jimny drives past my work, when I clock off. That's the color I'd get it in.

Mrs. Ten (spends a lot of time working at old churches off the beaten track) wanted to look at a Suzuki Vitara, it was her favouritist car she ever had. The current Vitara is a bloated, soulless ghost of its former self. I suggested it might suit Mrs. Ten very well.

Then she saw a picture of a Jimny in the showroom, looks like we might be getting one.
I actually realised that I had no idea what the susuki vitara was nowadays so I googled it... what happened? Where did it all go wrong? The most uninspired looking machine ive seen in a long time.

The current Vitara is a bloated, soulless ghost of its former self.
I disagree.

It's both lighter and smaller than both generations that preceded it (in like-for-like five-door spec), and the 1.4 turbo model which tops the range is quicker than the 2.4 petrol that was previously available, so it's far from bloated. And purely styling-wise, I think it's fine - not as chiselled as the previous gen or the first-gen perhaps, but not bad for the class and inoffensive at worst.

"Soulless" is of course more subjective, but having driven one, I again thought it was absolutely fine. Much like a slightly larger Swift in fact. The top model with the 1.4 is 1185kg, which is lighter than some superminis, so it's way more nimble than most similar cars. Steering's a bit light but quite nice, gearshift's good, and the 1.4 is basically the same as the one from the Swift Sport, so it's fairly enthusiastic.

Doesn't have the personality of the new Jimny obviously, but what does?

I actually realised that I had no idea what the susuki vitara was nowadays so I googled it... what happened? Where did it all go wrong? The most uninspired looking machine ive seen in a long time.
I think it became a sort of a subcompact crossover or something like that, very much like the Juke, ASX/RVR and the HR-V.

In other words, it became a step below of its traditional platform.

This one:

large-45-newsuzukivitarasaddedtorange.jpg

Lightest and smallest generation since the first. No longer available as a 3dr like all three generations that preceded it - so it's obviously bigger than those - but as a five-door only the first-gen was smaller.

Lightest and smallest generation since the first. No longer available as a 3dr like all three generations that preceded it - so it's obviously bigger than those - but as a five-door only the first-gen was smaller.

Unfortunately for the obese Vitara it's the Mrs. Ten's original 3-door that she wanted to revisit the spirit of. The new one's a metre longer than her original and 300kg heavier. That's pretty substantial, even Mrs. Ten can't claim that kind of increase over the years.

I'm not sure I ever saw the 5-door in the first version, maybe they weren't as popular in the UK.

Mrs. Ten's original 3-door that she wanted to revisit the spirit of
Hairdresser or Young Farmer?
This one:

And it's such a good car. Interior is a little bit to-the-price (although the 2019 facelift has more soft-touch materials, as was repeatedly yelled at the truly bizarre press event @GTP_Ingram and I were at), but generally speaking it's a proper laugh to drive - in all the same ways the Jimny is terrible on the road - and while not the Jimny's equal off-road, it has some reasonable chops in the wild.

It's so good we nearly got one to succeed the Octavia. But then Suzuki started to give Gary Barlow money to advertise them, and that instantly swore my wife off the brand, and she opted not to get another car at all. It made the shortlist again for the car we might get in December, but it's second behind the CX-3 now.

Back