SVX's Car Adventures

• Thread starter SVX
  • 129 comments
A few more things tidied up. New upper dash panel as the old one had some suspect pinholes - Swift Sport specific (thanks to its loooovely faux carbon), and a cigarette lighter to replace the one that was missing... not that I'll use it, having a charger in there full-time.

20200307_171116.jpg

20200307_171222.jpg

Also attempted to sort out the headunit. For whatever reason, the original bracket was exchanged for a Swift of a different model, and very barbarically hacked to fit. At first I thought it was just a simple case of buying an original one - which @Korza sourced for me - until it turned out it was the wrong one hacked into it in the first place.

20200306_235420.jpg
20200306_235259.jpg
20200307_171950.jpg

Just looking at the above photo also makes me realise that the original pocket was cut vertically on the sides to accommodate this bracket. What even happened to the original bracket in the first place? Likely, the understanding of that question will be met with the same answer as to why a separate speaker wire was cut and spliced into the headunit loom to bypass the left speaker they thought was lost...

The reason for the difference in brackets was due to the two designs the Swift had. Most export models came with the headunit on the bottom portion, like so;

autowp.ru_suzuki_ignis_5-door_4.jpg

Where as imports had them above;

4f5fa649.JPG

Last thing was just a small impulse buy -

20200309_185418.jpg

Ever since understanding what Tommy Kaira actually was after discovering the bodykit on one of dad's wrecks, I've had a massive soft spot for the odd-but-awesome tuning house. It was always my goal to eventually have something TK in a car I own, and this was a great way to start. A fun fact - Suzuki has the same thread pitch as a Subaru, with this knob being out of a Legacy of some description. While it may seem weird, there was a Tommy Kaira Cruze. So really it's fitting - but only just.

89363892_195318305126306_6758046712868110336_n.png

SVX
The reason for the difference in brackets was due to the two designs the Swift had. Most export models came with the headunit on the bottom portion, like so;

autowp.ru_suzuki_ignis_5-door_4.jpg

Where as imports had them above;

4f5fa649.JPG
How weird, never knew about that.

Think the Japanese cars actually got the raw end of the deal there - it makes both the stereo and the heater controls look like afterthoughts, rather than just the stereo being the odd one out. Shows how important in-car entertainment is in the Japanese market though to put it in the more prominent position.

Fairly sure the ones we got in the UK had the lower headunit mount.

How weird, never knew about that.

Think the Japanese cars actually got the raw end of the deal there - it makes both the stereo and the heater controls look like afterthoughts, rather than just the stereo being the odd one out. Shows how important in-car entertainment is in the Japanese market though to put it in the more prominent position.

Fairly sure the ones we got in the UK had the lower headunit mount.

I think this is a not uncommon for JDM models. Funcargo is the same. Makes double DIN install possible/desirable.

Figured I should give a final update more or less in case people wonder what I'm up to.

Back in March, bought an SiR EG6 (((Cool Vibrations)))

86728651_526840517953910_6463265772855623680_n.jpg

Not content with having two project cars, finally bought a turbo kei car nugget;

97994596_142515614012666_7693778537429336064_n.jpg

Decided I should be a big boy and actually have somewhere safe to store my cars, went in on a lockup;

upload_2020-6-21_22-34-53.png

That's all for me on GTP. If wanting to see more of my shenanigans, I now devote my attention to my Instagram @coolstylemaster

Peace, peoples.

I should probably update here too.

My car life went a bit nuts when I decided to leave/hiatus from here. I finally got myself a workshop to do work to my cars as well as store them, which really became an enabler to buy even more.

I started the year off with getting into another B series Civic. A genuine SiR-II, fully optioned with sunroof (so unfortunately no LSD).

86728651_526840517953910_6463265772855623680_n.jpg

Was on Facebook for a ridiculously price after just been stored in a barn for four years. I messaged the guy, gave him a deposit and a phone call, and had a friend of mine organise my dad to view it (because it happened to be at the bottom of the south island in Invercargill!). Test drive went well, somehow got a Warrant of Fitness, so I got it shipped up over here... only to clog the fuel pump. Thanks to the previous owner literally leaving no fuel in it, I ran out about 10m away from the depot.

I was made redundant just before NZ's lockdown began, but quickly found new work as an essential worker, so decided to drive this to work for a few days. Did some basic maintenance, fuel pump cleared a bit as well as the ignition system needing a tickle. Then made it look cool by throwing some RGs on it.

105987883_1149349318780364_8645579504782168316_n.jpg
106201986_1171170313246022_3173199070993563024_n.jpg

Then bought more projects, so now has been sitting in my lockup with my friend's Familia GTR.

Then, bought a kei car. Always always wanted one, but they were getting more well-known on the car enthusiast scope, so I really couldn't justify 10k+ on a Beat, or Cappuccino. Bought a Mitsubishi Minica Toppo. Some of you may recognise the Minica name, there was the first generation Dangan ZZ in GT4. This was the model afterwards, and utilised the next 'generation' of the turbo engine. They made this as the Toppo variant (along with a Step-Through van sort of thing), and the more consumer orientated one. Dangan was used for that, while the Toppo high roof which I have, the trim was labelled the RT.

upload_2020-12-26_12-58-7.png

I dailied this for a little while too, but it began to have a thermostat issue where it was always running cold and rich. While I waited from parts to arrive from Japan, I sidelined it and continued to drive the Swift. Which by then, I had put TE37s on and finally sorted all of it's mechanical niggles (shift cables, clutch, clutch cable, thermostat, shocks etc.). Unfortunately by this point I was a bit fed up with it (shocks were impossible to buy outside of OEM Suzuki!), was only going to cost me more money and I felt like it was getting a bit ruined sitting in traffic as a daily. But I didn't think it was special enough for it to be hidden away in a lockup as it was always going to have a very niche appeal.

IMGP0059.jpg

Naturally, I sold it.

Then I finally bought a WRX...

I had recently began to have a hankering for a GF/GC, but they were just getting to become appreciated here, and with these cars, it's insanely critical you don't rush into one otherwise you'll probably have to replace the engine. So I was very thankful to find this gem.

IMGP0067.jpg

Just a click over 200,000km, but effectively bought of the very original owner. It was brought into the country new from Subaru Japan for a customer a bit up north the country, which I managed to get in touch with. Pretty much every receipt from 1997, I bought it off the second owner who only had it for a year, but was getting a company car. 90% factory, I'll be slowly tweaking it while getting factory parts as well. My first proper turbo car, I was pretty quickly hooked. With it being so well looked after, it was immense with how solid it felt. No weird rattles or creaks. Just solid.

This is also the Gravel Express variant, of only just over 1000 made - usually would come with a bullbar, and a weird rear tyre carrier which I find super rad haha. Then of course the two tone, the famous 555 blue over silver.

Didn't want to daily it with not really having any space to have it somewhere safe during the night at home, so while I was fixing the Minica, I bought a Bluebird.

Not much to say about this one, 1991 Bluebird 2.0SSS, so SR20 but paired with a very lazy autobox. 171,000km, bought off the original NZ owner, gave it a very good clean and sold the Nismo R6es that were on it, then sold the car for a tidy little profit.

IMGP0117.jpg

Then, bought something that I had been waiting for many-a-year, 1998 Legacy GT-B Limited in Cashmere Yellow.

132581771_143600204230238_3449999908671658112_n.jpg

Anyone who knows me or looked at my thread would've seen that I've always had a soft spot for these Legacys, growing up around them. This one came up with 154,000km, bone stock, almost every optional extra, with the Limited trim and one year only Cashmere Yellow. It presents a bit shabby so it needs a lot of TLC, but had about 4.5k of recent mechanical maintenance done to it, so engine wise it's sussed. Ironically for it being my most Jalopnik car I own, it's definitely the most partial I'm too. There's a lot of things it just did better than the Impreza, plus it feels a lot more maturer of a car to drive. When it's properly aligned and sorted I'll go into more detail.

Until then... guess I'll be posting a bit more again. I missed having a proper formatted website to post my stuff on a bit. Good to see there's still a few cool cars around.

Last edited:
2008 Swift Sport I bought a couple months ago to daily for an interim.

Suzuki Sport dead pedal
Suzuki Sport short shifter kit
Suzuki Sport muffler
Suzuki Sport air intake elbow
Monster pod filter & heat shield.

Lots of fun! Really enjoyable to drive, amazing gearbox feel and a very aggressive intake noise on WOT. I had always sorta had a soft spot for these despite being most NZ drivers' bane of existence. The steering feel and pedal positioning is quite remarkable for a cheap car. Recaros are very aggressive too (factory optional). I will get around to a proper write up at some stage as I take it for a proper drive.

IMGP0318.png
IMGP0321.png
IMGP0336.png
IMGP0338.png

Also, I imported a car!

2014 Mazda Axela (Mazda3) 20S Touring.

download (1).jpg

I had wanted a decently powered, well equipped daily for a little while now to focus on car flipping and my parts business. Finally bit the bullet; arrived in the country a couple weeks ago, will need some touch up before it can go through compliance. Excited!

Also I blew up the flower car. Cambelt tensioner broke on the motorway. womp womp

Surprisingly, my main stable of cars remained unchanged, other than selling the Impreza very recently - until last weekend. I had cars in-between, mainly flips, but finally got back into the modifying car life.

20230416_174354.jpg

After I tracked my EG6 a few times, I well and truly had the race car bug.
However, turning it into a proper race car was never really what the inner-purist was wanting.

Enter the Fit!

IMGP0510.jpg

IMGP0526.jpg

Praised for it's rigid chassis design, the Fit had been on my radar for a few months. The criteria was simple - yellow or blue, 1.5, manual, and not immaculate.
This 1.5S import popped up on the Facebook Honda group, and within 4 minutes of it being posted, I raced to secure it. Thankfully the even-quicker punter pulled out last minute, so last weekend I made the trip up to Huntly to collect it.

A very honest car - coming from an enthusiast who cared for it, and only one New Zealand owner prior.
There's a couple of things to do before it's completely ready - common boot water leak, a servicing once over and a quick ignition service, but it was dead set what I was after.

End goal is a streetable, road legal, K-swap. But until then, I'm going to work to maximise my ability, and the chassis - suspension, sway bars, tyres, and most importantly, seat time.

IMGP0519.jpg

IMGP0529.jpg

2004 Honda Fit 1.5S (GD3) JPN Import
Imported into NZ 9/1/10
1.5L L15A i-VTEC
Five speed manual
Factory optional monsoons
Factory optional alloy 14" wheels

Factory equipment:
'S' bodykit
Colour coded headlight inners
LED taillights with smoked reverse light