Swapping Thrustmaster wheels in game?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere online so thought I'd ask you helpful folk. So, while in game can I swap my TM wheels while it is on? For instance swapping my T-GTII to my SF1000 when doing GT/Super Formula races. Be a pain in the arse if I have to switch game off every time I want to swap rims.

Gotta be honest if you already have the resources to do this, it would be faster just to try it yourself than hope someone has tried it before you.

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to turn the wheel/console off, before unplugging anything, ideally.

Also, I’m quite disappointed by GT7’s basically non support for the screen on the SF1000 rim. Even after all these updates, it still only shows basic information, even though a side app on my phone/tablet can show more info. So it just sits in a box, not being used.

Last edited:
Ah that's a pity. Having to shut the console off before changing wheels isn't much of a quick swap. So will just stick with using the T-GTII for GT7 and keep my SF wheel for when I am playing F1.

Thanks for the answers.

Ah that's a pity. Having to shut the console off before changing wheels isn't much of a quick swap. So will just stick with using the T-GTII for GT7 and keep my SF wheel for when I am playing F1.

Thanks for the answers.
There are a couple of companies who make mod rims for the TGT/TGT2 rim. It keeps all the buttons and dials, but lets you change the rim out. Acelith and SimPush are the two I’ve found, this is a SimPush mod I’m using on my TGT2 wheel currently, it’s been nice. I have an Acelith one as well, that more of an F1 shape.

IMG_3680.jpeg

Yeah have seen quite a few of these. Tbh, I'd prefer to keep the wheel as is. Only because I already have the SF1000. I might use it for my grinding sessions at Sardegna, Spa & Le Mans when I am running GT3 cars.

There are a couple of companies who make mod rims for the TGT/TGT2 rim. It keeps all the buttons and dials, but lets you change the rim out. Acelith and SimPush are the two I’ve found, this is a SimPush mod I’m using on my TGT2 wheel currently, it’s been nice. I have an Acelith one as well, that more of an F1 shape.

View attachment 1321970
So sick!

I was looking at that wheel. Is that Huracan wheel mod? I thought that looked sweet, what is it 30.5cm?
Also was considering the 33cm big boi round wheel they make as well.
What do you think of that thing? Does the t-gt still feel torquey enough with the larger diameter?

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to turn the wheel/console off, before unplugging anything, ideally.
You can swap basic controllers by simple activating the next one and asigning your same account as the current user.

I dont see a reason why the console needs to be powered down for another kind of controller.
Likely not as in "rip off the wheel from the base and put the next on", but instead "turn off the wheel, swap and continue".
Though I do see a possible but: the game needs to register the different wheels, maybe here comes the downside of having to restart the game or at least check in the options if the correct wheel has been selected.

You can swap basic controllers by simple activating the next one and asigning your same account as the current user.

I dont see a reason why the console needs to be powered down for another kind of controller.
Likely not as in "rip off the wheel from the base and put the next on", but instead "turn off the wheel, swap and continue".
Though I do see a possible but: the game needs to register the different wheels, maybe here comes the downside of having to restart the game or at least check in the options if the correct wheel has been selected.
Maybe cos the pads don't go through a base first. Perhaps down to calibration 🤷🏻‍♂️. Did some more scouring and found someone on Reddit asking similar question but for the T300. Apparently on PC you can hot swap but can't on console.

Can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere online so thought I'd ask you helpful folk. So, while in game can I swap my TM wheels while it is on? For instance swapping my T-GTII to my SF1000 when doing GT/Super Formula races. Be a pain in the arse if I have to switch game off every time I want to swap rims.
How do you like the TGT2? I'm trying to decide whether to get that or the T808 for my next wheel.

considering going with the Fanatec GT direct drive wheel but I already have the thrustmaster shifter that cost me almost 300 and the 3plm pedals that cost me another 300+.

It seems kind of dumb to switch and then have to buy the clutch and shifter for the Fanatec too.

I have nothing to compare my wheel to as it's my first wheel. Absolutely love it though, feedback is great. Can really notice when you're on the edge of spinning out. It's perfect for GT7, with the rotary knobs so easy to make settings on the fly. Also have the TLCM pedals and added a brake mod. I'm not a fast/great driver and prob still quicker on pad (only been using the wheel a month) but am sure in time I will be quicker with wheel. Got a GT Omega Art rig too and have to say I'm having the best fun in all my 40+ years of gaming.

there is a way to switch from steering wheel to controller without switching off the console....

PS key -----> power ----> disconnect.....

now the steering wheel is no longer recognized by the console, it should be possible to change wheel and reconnect by pressing the PS key: the steering wheel will reset .....non????🤔🤔🤔

there is a way to switch from steering wheel to controller without switching off the console....

PS key -----> power ----> disconnect.....

now the steering wheel is no longer recognized by the console, it should be possible to change wheel and reconnect by pressing the PS key: the steering wheel will reset .....non????🤔🤔🤔
Hmm, interesting. Might be worth testing.

How do you like the TGT2? I'm trying to decide whether to get that or the T808 for my next wheel.

considering going with the Fanatec GT direct drive wheel but I already have the thrustmaster shifter that cost me almost 300 and the 3plm pedals that cost me another 300+.

It seems kind of dumb to switch and then have to buy the clutch and shifter for the Fanatec too.
That’s basically the same reasoning stayed with TM too, I was too far into the ecosystem already to switch. That and I’ve heard to many horror stories about Fanatec customer service. The TGT2 has been a good wheel, with the caveat that GT is your Main/Only racing game. If you also play PC games, other options may be better potentially.

Posted this up in another part of GT Planet but no one has looked. Looks a great system for swapping wheels albeit a tiny touch of soldering is required if using the T-GTII

I have nothing to compare my wheel to as it's my first wheel. Absolutely love it though, feedback is great. Can really notice when you're on the edge of spinning out. It's perfect for GT7, with the rotary knobs so easy to make settings on the fly. Also have the TLCM pedals and added a brake mod. I'm not a fast/great driver and prob still quicker on pad (only been using the wheel a month) but am sure in time I will be quicker with wheel. Got a GT Omega Art rig too and have to say I'm having the best fun in all my 40+ years of gaming.
Cool. It sounds like a good wheel with a lot of feedback strength, I'm just hesitant to buy it cause it's so close to the price of the direct drive ones but it's probably the one I'll go with.

I don't know anything about rigs, I have a pretty sweet chair and just build my own stands. I might build a rig someday when I'm not constantly traveling to different places for projects and can only really bring the wheel itself with me.

That’s basically the same reasoning stayed with TM too, I was too far into the ecosystem already to switch. That and I’ve heard to many horror stories about Fanatec customer service. The TGT2 has been a good wheel, with the caveat that GT is your Main/Only racing game. If you also play PC games, other options may be better potentially.
Yeah, seems dumb to just start all over again eh, haha.

Hmmm, I play NASCAR Heat the most, GT second most and World of Outlaws and SRX quite a bit.

What about it isn't great for other games?

Cool. It sounds like a good wheel with a lot of feedback strength, I'm just hesitant to buy it cause it's so close to the price of the direct drive ones but it's probably the one I'll go with.

I don't know anything about rigs, I have a pretty sweet chair and just build my own stands. I might build a rig someday when I'm not constantly traveling to different places for projects and can only really bring the wheel itself with me.
If you don't have a rig there is zero point in DD. Highly recommend the GT Omega Art though. Check it out online. Re the TGTII, I have zero complaints so far. Certainly enough feedback for me.

Yeah, seems dumb to just start all over again eh, haha.

Hmmm, I play NASCAR Heat the most, GT second most and World of Outlaws and SRX quite a bit.

What about it isn't great for other games?
Yeah, I had two rigs going at the time too, so swapping both over would have been a bit much. Nothing really wrong with the TGT2, it still works great for other games, and is a good wheel. The big thing is that the built in bass shaker only works for GT, and the GT specific dials may not be so useful in other games. A lot just seem to prefer to jump right to a DD, by the time they’re spending TGT money these days.

I'd say the dials are perfectly useful in other games - for same reasons they are used in GT: Fuel mix, TCS and Brake bias. Surely other games can have these mapped. Yes, the shaker is only in GT which is a pity but as I have only played GT I can't say how noticeable it is when missing in other games.

If you don't have a rig there is zero point in DD. Highly recommend the GT Omega Art though. Check it out online. Re the TGTII, I have zero complaints so far. Certainly enough feedback for me.
Why do you say that? The stands I build are basically like half rigs (professional Carpenter and Professional sheet metal fabricator) and my chair is a highly customized gaming chair.

What does a rig add? Genuinely curious, as I said I really don't know anything about them.

Yeah, I had two rigs going at the time too, so swapping both over would have been a bit much. Nothing really wrong with the TGT2, it still works great for other games, and is a good wheel. The big thing is that the built in bass shaker only works for GT, and the GT specific dials may not be so useful in other games. A lot just seem to prefer to jump right to a DD, by the time they’re spending TGT money these days.
Yeah that was kind of the way I was leaning too but how much better can the direct drive really be unless you're going super high end.

Not to worried about the bass, my 575 watt surround sound with a 1000 watt RMS Alpine amp and 1500 watt RMS 12" duel voice coil Hertz sub hooked up to it through a 12v power supply takes care of that quite adequately.

Also I'm currently using a T300 that I've had to take apart and fix due to a weird obnoxious clicking noise it started making after a dirt race with a terrible setup screwed it up.

While it's a pretty good wheel who knows how long until something else breaks that I can't figure out how to fix so I'm sure the GT2 will be a huge improvement.

Also I'm currently using a T300 that I've had to take apart and fix due to a weird obnoxious clicking noise it started making after a dirt race with a terrible setup screwed it up.

While it's a pretty good wheel who knows how long until something else breaks that I can't figure out how to fix so I'm sure the GT2 will be a huge improvement.
I came from a T300 as well, the TGT2 is a pleasant step up from the T300, no doubt. I have zero regrets about choosing it, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far. And to be honest, my PC rig has a TS-PC base, which is basically just a TGT without the GT bits, and for PC only. The running internals gear is all the same, as far as I know, just no bass shaker/GT mode. So technically I’ve liked mine enough to buy it twice lol.

I’d get the base and rim only though, and get the TLCM pedals with it instead. The TLCM’s are nice, I had those on both rigs as well, definitely worthwhile.

Last edited:
I came from a T300 as well, the TGT2 is a pleasant step up from the T300, no doubt. I have zero regrets about choosing it, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far. And to be honest, my PC rig has a TS-PC base, which is basically just a TGT without the GT bits, and for PC only. The running internals gear is all the same, as far as I know, just no bass shaker/GT mode. So technically I’ve liked mine enough to buy it twice lol.

I’d get the base and rim only though, and get the TLCM pedals with it instead. The TLCM’s are nice, I had those on both rigs as well, definitely worthwhile.
Haha, well that's a pretty solid endorsement. I already have the TLCM pedals and the TH8 Shifter which is the main reason I don't want to get away from the TM stuff, though apparently the Shifter will work with other stuff but on PC only.

Is PC better than console? I'd like to get into Iracing but again the leaving town for months at a time for work makes everything a little inconvenient.

It's hard to bring anything other than the wheel and PS5 with me then build a quick stand for it and find a decent chair to use.

Oh and yeah, base and rim is definitely the smarter and slightly cheaper way to go about it, they never seem to have just the base in stock on amazon though and I don't know what rim to get, lol.

Last edited:
Haha, well that's a pretty solid endorsement. I already have the TLCM pedals and the TH8 Shifter which is the main reason I don't want to get away from the TM stuff, though apparently the Shifter will work with other stuff but on PC only.

Is PC better than console? I'd like to get into Iracing but again the leaving town for months at a time for work makes everything a little inconvenient.

It's hard to bring anything other than the wheel and PS5 with me then build a quick stand for it and find a decent chair to use.

Oh and yeah, base and rim is definitely the smarter and slightly cheaper way to go about it, they never seem to have just the base in stock on amazon though and I don't know what rim to get, lol.
PC has more sims. Period. And let's not get into the debate that GT7 isn't a sim 😂. You can get ACC on PS5 though. If getting the T-GTII base then get the T-GTII wheel also would be my advice. Make sure to shop around unless money isn't an issue, I managed to get the wheel and base combo for £500.

PC games are neat, and have some cool options, like triple screens and wheels that consoles won’t work with. But in the end, I gave up iRacing to come back to GT personally, it was “too realistic” for me, by is the happy middle ground. PC games have so many options and settings, that I felt like I spend more time navigating menus and reading/learning, than I ever did actually on track. iRacing has some cool features though, like in race driver swaps, and full 6-24h endurance races. Which is pretty cool.

Back