Syntax's Gallery - Updated 09/08/2011 some boring couples shots... no cars here :(

Just going through some of my resent photos and I've got an absolutly huge stack of Harley shots so her are a few:

Let me all know what you think, comments and criticism are all welcome.

hd_bikes_1.jpg

hd_bikes_3.jpg

hd_bikes_5.jpg

hd_bikes_7.jpg

hd_bikes_8.jpg

hd_bikes_9.jpg

Sorry about the big watermarks below the images but I use the same shots in my blog and I can't be bothered to re-edit the shots without them.

There's a vineyard about 5-10 minutes drive form my house so I thought it would be nice outing with the missus. Nice, fun, wine filled day :D

camdenupload1gtpxc1.jpg

camdenupload2gtpja3.jpg

camdenupload3gtpap0.jpg

camdenupload4gtpfa5.jpg

camdenupload5gtpyx4.jpg

camdenupload6gtphd6.jpg

camdenupload7gtpzs1.jpg

Went for a a stroll and a meal in Cabramatta (Sydney's Asian suburban district) a few days ago and they where well in to celebrating Chinese New Year (which is today for those that ar enot aware).

ny1zu9.jpg

ny2oy5.jpg

ny3uq5.jpg

ny4cv1.jpg

ny5bu0.jpg

2nd to last picture is very very nice. I like mixing colour with black and white, and you've done it great.

Thanks dude,there where too many other distracting colours in the shot originally and the dragon just didn't stand out. I don't usually like to do selective colouring shots but this one worked pretty well i thought. It was a real pain to do though...

anyway here are some more shots.... I've been pretty busy taking photos these last few days. Most of these are more artsy shots for a change from a drive down to Shellharbour....

shellharbour5rs8.jpg

shellharbour4og3.jpg

shellharbour3ir5.jpg

shellharbour2rh6.jpg

Obligatory landscape shot on my cruise down the coast.
shellharbour1ts7.jpg

Been so busy that I haven't had time for any private projects of late so just a little while ago I took it upon myself to sneak out to my garage with the camera and have a play around.

I've been planning a few private photography projects to do with my car, it's nothing flash, just a standard little 206 but for the purpose of skill refining, it will do just fine.

Anyway these are nothing exciting about these shots, it was really just a play around with light and composition... let me know what you all think...

(With the first shot I didn’t realise I was getting such a noticeable reflection of the roller doors).

20090218peugeotgaragesmjs4.jpg

20090218peugeotgaragesmcj5.jpg

20090218peugeotgaragesmio5.jpg

Some more shots of the Pug in town. I've been doing some test shots for locations for a few car shoots I've got coming up but I liked these so I thought I'd share. The ground seems to be tilting :lol:

pug3.jpg

pug1v.jpg

pug2b.jpg

This one was for a bit of fun, I'm building a car rig at present but I'm just waiting on a few of the main components to be delivered but in the mean time I thought I'd cheat a bit and ps in some motion & wheel blur :lol:
pug4.jpg

Last one works definately! When I saw it in the "Desktop" thread, I thought it was a real 206 Promotional Photograph. If that was the effect you were going after then you certainly achieved it!

Last one works definately! When I saw it in the "Desktop" thread, I thought it was a real 206 Promotional Photograph. If that was the effect you were going after then you certainly achieved it!

Thanks mate. Yeah I've been thinking a fair bit about a specific direction for my work as I feel like lately it's been a bit all over the place (by that I mean that my work has been varied between functions, portraits, cars, bikes, websites etc). I really want to focus more on a specific type of photography and work toward being know in a specific field as one of the best, and well my love of cars works well with my love of photography so I've been working hard the past few weeks in an attempt to move in this direction. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how challenging it is.

post #38 wins, super crisp details, lines and contours are clearly shown with sharp edges. It's this stuff that makes me like HD more than real life. 👍

Just a little "preview" of the rig I've been putting together. I just finished testing the it at full extension over pillows, but I'm yet to test it on the car. It's far sturdier than I originally thought but it's also really heavy. I thought I'd show you all, as I'm pretty excited at present. :cool:

20090320rigtesting10.jpg

Thanks. I've got a few final pieces (spigots) that I need to pick up and then I'll be ready for testing on the pug. If that goes to plan, I've already got a few nice modified cars to shoot. I'll keep you all posted on how it's coming along.

That's a nice rig. I see your QR mount has the locking pin on it. I suggest you use that! Also, align the Body arrow on the QR plate correctly, then mount that on the ballhead so that the body faces away from the QR lever. This will stop the camera from falling off! (which happened to me once, albeit with my head that does not have the lock pin).

Also, do you plan to build some form of safety chain? I'd at the very least be looking to loop the camera strap around the boom arm. Remember that at the end of the boom, vibrations will be amplified.

vibration is your enemy...you will see how it is but needing long exposure to get a motion effect you really have to be doing walking pace, if not slower!

really great pics! will be expecting even more awesomeness with rig shots!

Syntax error

I recently fell into this photography thread.I looked at Serge's gallery which was a 👍,and now I peeked into your gallery and guess what,another 👍,great work.You two guys keep it up.

I really can't wait to see the rig shots, and I am enormously jealous. Your shots are amazing, regardless. You visit such beautiful places as well. ^^; It makes me want to be older/richer. XD

Cheers Giles, I'll definitely be making sure that the locking pin is in place. I was tossing up between the mafrotto 484 ball head and the 484CR (this one which also has the quick release) and after a bit of testing at the shop, this one felt really solid plus it allowed me to set the rig up and then just quickly attach the camera. As you mentioned, I'll be look at adding a second safety option, just haven't decided how to do that yet :eek:

Thanks stumpydino, I've yet to do a full rig shot but I did clamp the camera to a car over the weekend and even pushing the car produced a fair bit of vibration so I'm a little concerned at this stage but I gues we'll see how we go.

Appreciate the feedback Nicksfix :)

Cheers LongbowX, well I wish I was richer as well :lol: oh and younger.

Did a photo shoot the other day with my wife's cousins WRX. I didn't get to use the rig just yet as I'm still waiting on a few bits and pieces to complete it, but I did get to test out the clamp and ball head.

20090321wrxmotionsmall4.jpg

20090321wrxmotionsmall5.jpg

Obligatory engine bay shot.
20090321wrxmotionsmall2.jpg

Tested the clamps and did a rolling interior shot
20090321wrxmotionsmall1.jpg

This was an accidental shot, but it gives a pretty good idea of the setup
20090321wrxmotionsmall3.jpg

Speedlights and umbrellas? If so, you did a great job at matching the flash temperature with the setting sun in the first shot :)

Speedlights and umbrellas? If so, you did a great job at matching the flash temperature with the setting sun in the first shot :)

I used studio strobes, but they where mostly for fill lighting to counter some of the heavy shadowing I was getting. I didn't have to do too much work on fixing the temp for a change, usually I spend hours in post production trying to fix it.

Over the long weekend my wife and I ended up flying over to Adelaide for a few days. While there I found out that a short (and spirited) drive to birdwood would be a good idea as it is home to the National Motor Museum. It just so happened that the Ford GT club of Australia had a little get together that very day at the museum so I got twice the amount of eye candy while there.... this one stood out in the crowd..

20090412adelaide145smal.jpg

Spent a few days in Durras, the Kangaroo's are very friendly around there. This one didn't mind posing for me.

roo1y.jpg

EDIT: oh just a quick update on the rig, the rig was done, but the pole was flexing way too much, so I need to build a stronger pole, but at least the vacuum mounts work and they don't leave any arks either :D.

Glad to hear the rig is comming along, good luck with ironing out that flex.

Cheers. I've been meaning to go down to the local hardware store (as I've already devised a solution a few weeks back which I’m pretty confident will do the trick) I've just been too lazy to get my butt down there.

Got given some VIP box tickets to the Nitro Champs at Western Sydney International Dragway. It was noisy, smelly, crowded and awesome! Plus the box had a few perks like free booze.

The top Alcohol cars make your ears feel like they are going to bleed... even with ear plugs.
3495578598_6d6752623f_o.jpg

Burnouts are fun....
3494762903_e9305f280e_o.jpg

three average images turned into one montage image....
3495580064_ea40185b88_o.jpg

Tilt shift seems all the rage, so I gave it a crack as well...
3495580506_1fc70d548d_o.jpg

Car in the pits waiting it's turn for a run
3494764529_a96c82cfd5_o.jpg

Probably the most challenging conditions to take photos in ever, drags at night from far up in the stands.
3495581804_2736c55d99_o.jpg

This one turned out a little better
3494765961_c357b1f604_o.jpg

Back