Takuma Gaiden II: Road to America (Pt. 2) - Page 31: LFA's Song

• Thread starter RCKakashi14
  • 1,053 comments
Time for a Boxer catfight! Let's see how this one will go. I know by experience how fast that Impreza can be, but the Viziv is no slouch either... :crazy:

Also, that FTO is petrossexual handbook material. What a car... Just amazing.

Page 6: The Art of Driving

The battle has started, and it seems that the VGT car has the upper hand, having an advantage on mid-corners.

16444413867_833c2e4618_c.jpg

At the pit garage, Rob observes the opponent's crew. They look organized, despite the fact that the chief engineer managed to escape. One has to keep composure...

Rob: "That crew doesn't seem to be troubled at all."

Owen: "I wonder though, if we have a fighting chance."

Rob: "Worry not, my little brother. Nigel shall explain, as he had acquired information from that engineer I rescued."

16464309590_218b224f2a_c.jpg

Nigel: "Our opponent's car has a hybrid system, and a torque vectoring 4WD setup, as opposed to the Impreza of Ms. Maria that has a conventional central differential. The VIZIV GT also uses that hybrid system in order for the torque vectoring to work in its full capacity. The electric motor spins the rear wheels."

16029402974_47a7f1457f_c.jpg

Nigel: "So in a normal operation, the VIZIV is a front wheel drive car. So how about that torque vectoring? It's the same system used by the current Impreza STi, and what it basically does is to transmit torque to each individual wheel based on the situation. Simply speaking, the driver only has to focus on driving, without having to worry about on how to deal with sudden dynamic changes."

Owen: "But what about her Impreza? Are we at a disadvantage?"

Nigel: "It's just like Takuma-san said, the problem is how one manages the technology by skill. In Ms. Maria's case, her center diff is the same one found in rally cars, and our mechanics have set a 20/80 torque distribution."

16444411227_27c6699f70_c.jpg

Owen: "I see. So what is our fighting chance, then?"

16464126678_7e22c5f8c3_c.jpg

Nigel: "She has the full control on how she wants her car to handle. Now you see why rally cars use that simple, but every effective setup. Even time attack 4WD cars use a center diff."

Takuma: "In other words, you can't rely on torque vectoring in continuous cornering. If you want to set the car up for turning sharply, then you set it up beforehand. That is one thing torque vectoring simply cannot do. To put it short, Maria can control her car with confidence, knowing that she set it up for turning."

Nigel: "The problem with the VIZIV's setup, is that it will continually shuffle the torque distribution. What if you want to oversteer on your own, let's say if the next corner is a very sharp one?"

Takuma: "That's right. Maria's Impreza is like her pencil. She wants to do the drawing by herself. Surely, you've witnessed how smooth her driving is."

Owen: "I get it now! No wonder why she alludes drawing into her driving."

The battle has gotten intense, and clearly Sabrina is under pressure. So much so, that she had messed up. Her mistake prompted the VIZIV to shuffle the torque all to the front, which it shouldn't be on the hairpin.

Sabrina: "No!"

16625765896_f0c7e3f890_c.jpg

But the electric motor's instant response thanks to its high amounts of torque allow Sabrina to retain the pace.

16465531439_a16c54b46d_c.jpg

Maria: "So... Nigel's geeky explanations start to make sense now."

16464304430_9daecc01cf_c.jpg

Maria: "Sorry, girl... this race is mine."

At the start of the third lap, Maria now begins her offensive. She brakes late and switches lanes.

16625764366_d9828ce180_c.jpg

Maria: "You label me a bad girl? Then you'll see what a bad girl does!"

Now taking advantage with the strong rear biased setup, she turns the wheel sharply, to grab the line Sabrina is attempting to take.

16444406797_0c328bfb87_c.jpg

Sabrina: "Impossible! This Subaru has the latest technology it can offer! Surely it can beat that little hatchback!"

16464123198_6949f387dd_c.jpg

Maria: "I'll show you how driving can be an art! Try following me, if you can..."

End of Page 6

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- There goes Nigel again, typical robot antics. He'll be having more exposure in the future titles.

Page 7 - Tango Down

In a sudden twist, Maria manages to perform a swift overtake on Sabrina.

16658135855_2de345781d_c.jpg

Sabrina: "Ugh! Why is this happening?!? This is a Vision Gran Turismo car! This should represent the future!"

Sabrina gets frantic, and so does her car, displaying chaotic movements with the continuous shuffling of torque to the wheels.

16450842477_b11150422e_c.jpg

As for Maria, she keeps her cool. She has intended to let her Subaru turn more aggressively anyway, so all she has to do is to have full control.

16470734350_89cd6808e1_c.jpg

Maria: "With all the talk the Vision GT Project has, I expect better."

Then she pulls off another trick that mesmerizes Sabrina.

Sabrina: "She did not use her brakes?!?"

16038235483_c100f6f180_c.jpg

Sabrina: "Cheap trick. Hey, this car can do it too! I have downforce!"

But it seems that the torque vectoring didn't allow to...

Sabrina: "No!!!!"

And to add insult to injury, the central screen displays:

"ELECTRIC MOTOR DAMAGED. PLEASE VISIT THE NEAREST SUBARU DEALERSHIP."

16657115072_59c1474fc3_c.jpg

Maria: "I guess the bad girl wins this round. Ha!"

16657114472_410c2d1c27_c.jpg

Maria crosses the line alone, leaving her teammates to wonder.

16656747361_2d57527937_c.jpg

Owen: "Where is her opponent?"

Nigel then approaches them to deliver the news.

Nigel: "I just heard from the other crew that Sabrina's car has stopped. We won this battle."

Takuma: "Just as I expected. The plan went very well for us."

Maria then stops her car, and gets out to wait for her opponent. Her teammates come towards her.

Owen: "Hey, you did it!"

Maria:
"Thanks to you."

Owen: "Eh? What did I do?"

Rob: "Another opponent down. Oh... speaking of which..."

Sabrina's car stops in front of them, then she steps out walking in rage.

Sabrina: "Idiota! You cheater! What kind of tires you--"

Before she could accuse further, she trips down. Maria breathes out a sigh, and crouches down to face Sabrina.

Maria: "So... who's the bad girl now? You know, I look like I'm desperate for attention, but I have the substance. Art is nothing without substance. There has to be a meaning to it.

And one more thing... just like a pencil, you have to do the drawing. Don't let the car drive you, woman."

And after gloating, she then stands up and walks away. She stops for a moment and looks back at her fallen opponent.

Maria:
"Volta para a tua mãezinha. Adeus!" (Go back home to your mommy! Farewell!)

Rob: "Not so fast, though..."

Rob raises his hand, and as it turns out, his team of MI6 agents in combat gear run towards Sabrina and arrest her.

Rob: "Threatening an old man to do your bidding will not ensure your success."

Maria:
"Whoa..."

Rob: "I got some testimony from your father too, Maria. So all's well that ends well."

And then Rob walks away, lighting up a cigarette and then he starts to smoke.

End of Page 7

Page 8 - Graduation Gift

Time: 12 am, Sunday

"Yes, Owen... yes... let's stop the time..."

"Let's do it... come on... more..."

However, Owen wakes up from that erotic dream. To have such affair with Maria is something unimaginable for him. He has yet to confess his true feelings for her. It seems that he has taken one step backward...

Owen: "What a weird dream!"

He then raises his blanket and looks inside. He shows a somehow disgusted face.

Owen:
"Oh for the love of..."

He stands up from his bed and goes to the bathroom. He looks at the mirror briefly, and then proceeds to wash his face, any way to forget that odd dream.

Just as he is about to head back to bed, his phone rings, and why would Rob call at this hour?

Owen: "Hello?"

Rob:
"Did I wake you? Sorry for that."

Owen:
"It's okay."

Rob: "I almost forgot to tell you something, that's why I called this late. Tomorrow Monday we'll be heading to Maria's home in Portugal, as her family will throw a party celebrating her graduation from the academy."

Owen: "I see... and actually..."

Rob:
"Hmmm?"

Owen:
"I... want to... tell her something. I guess there's now a way to see her."

Rob: "Oh I get it. Your little love story. How far have you gone with Maria, eh? Or is she with you on your bed right now?"

Owen: "Hey! And..."

Rob: "Just messin' with you. Have a nice sleep."

The conversation ends, and Owen goes back to his bed. Before he can shut his eyes, he looks at the window. The bright full moon at the night sky is such a spectacle indeed.

Time: 5 pm, Monday

Maria's teammates are present, waiting for her to finish dressing up. While at it, Mauricio presents them a covered car, obviously a gift for Maria.

Then she finally descends to the stairs, meeting her teammates. They give her a round of applause.

Nigel: "Congratulations!"

Maria: "Thanks. I never really expected that I'll be able to graduate, with me being a racer and all."

She finished her design studies, and while she's not in the top ranks, she is more than satisfied with her learning experience, from her time in the academy and even to her membership to the Dream Alliance.

Mauricio: "Now Maria, I shall present you a gift. A gift I've worked so hard for..."

Valentina takes off the large veil covering the car. And it reveals this...

16669505411_594170a76a_c.jpg

Takuma: "Is that a MINI?"

Mauricio: "That's right. I have worked on this in secret, during the time I was held captive. Those days just gave me strength, knowing that I still have my family to go home to, and that strength allowed me to design and build this, for my daughter. I have to give her something for her graduation, even when I knew that I'll be staying with Kaz for long. But then after I was rescued, I managed to locate the car's whereabouts, and as well as MINI's engineers. Rob helped them, and the development push through."

Maria: "Wow... just wow!"

Mauricio: "It has 2 liter turbocharged engine producing 400 PS. And it's four-wheel drive. It will surely rise as the king of Hot Hatches."

16669505101_27d588ddb2_c.jpg

Mauricio: "My daughter's down-to-earth persona and her wish to own a practical yet fast car pushed me further to build this. Her personality is very much reflected by this car - simple, yet bold and brave."

Maria: "It really looks nice! And it tells how much love you've poured on this."

After that brief presentation, everyone is having dinner. Seeing Owen silent, just listening to the conversation of his teammates at the table, Maria sits beside him.

Maria: "You haven't spoken a word. What's wrong?"

Owen: "Oh... nothing. I'm just listening to Takuma-san's dialogue."

Maria: "Bet you're eager to see me, eh? Admit it... hehehehe. Loosen up, man! Enjoy the party!"

Owen: "Congrats, Maria."

Maria: "Thanks, Owen. Hey... wanna join me taking the car out for a spin tomorrow?"

Owen has to answer with bravery, as it will be the only chance for him to confess to her. He starts by showing a smile.

Owen: "Sure! Why not? Besides, I have something to say, and that's just between us."

Maria: "Great! It's a date, then."

The next day, Maria takes the new car out for a spin, with Owen as her company.

However, rain poured, and that makes things challenging. But the new car is assuring them safe performance.

16484726459_d8cccc039d_c.jpg

Maria: "Hey! This squirts out of the corners like a bullet!"

16669503921_776f0d13f1_c.jpg

The permanent four-wheel drive system does not allow the MINI Clubman to slide even for a little bit. After all, the manufacturer has rallying victories on its belt, proving its wizardry in the 4WD drivetrain.

16048559074_12b2642849_c.jpg

Owen: "MINIs are indeed point-and-squirt type of cars. No wonder there are still legions of followers despite the brand's image having totally changed."

Maria: "Oh... now that we're here, what is that something you want to talk about?"

She then pulls over at the nearest parking area.

With his heart beating rapidly again, Owen musters his courage.

Owen: "Well... I have to confess something. But I fear that you may not like it, and reject me at all. I don't want risking on losing this special relationship of ours."

Maria: "Hey... it does not matter. You have to speak out your mind. You cannot let your feelings build up inside you forever."

Owen: "Ever since I met you, I have felt this strong feeling. That feeling of... wanting to be with you. Then our friendship solidified that further. Each moment we spend, this fondness dominates me. And there were days that I was actually worrying about you. Your brave persona inspired me, to this.. to confess my feelings towards you.

I... love... you. I love you. And I'm afraid that if I said it, you might reject me... you may not like me, because you know how awkward I am--"

Maria: "Shhhh! Enough talk... I get it. And it's a YES."

She then moves towards to Owen, and then...

...the two kiss on each others' lips.

The rain has suddenly stopped, as it is the bright sun's turn to witness that moment.

THE END

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- I said before that it won't be too short, nor too long. But I think this arc leaned a bit on the former. But with the arrival of the MINI VGT, expect more of Maria in action, as she is to encounter another female rival. Though that arc will not come soon, it would be in the latter parts of the VGT saga.

- I will open a club room (not an open lobby room) after I post this. Let's have a little break and have some runs. The next arc will start on Monday. I want Sunday to be a little rest day for me. :P

Mauricio, you clever son of a gun, you know how to be a good parent. Well done. 👍
Now Maria can kick even more butt while looking good. Also, those colours are the same that I have in my car, irony much Kakashi? :lol:

ROUTE 5 DIAMOND

A certain young racer sets out to prove and make a name for himself, with deep reasons behind it. Nothing shall stop him now...

Meanwhile, a fallen Vision GT car makes its return, this time at the streets with the aim of having a rematch with the Dream Alliance. But of course, the team's members aren't the only ones fastest in the country. Time for underground racers to shine!

Page 1 - Surprising News

Time: 12 am

With the racing scene in Japan still in shock after Takuma's decision to move out of the country, the streets are seemingly quiet. Races have decreased in frequency. While one shouldn't really be affected, especially the person in question opposes underground street racing, his charisma has indeed became a powerful force that changed the street racing scene forever. The truth of the matter is, everyone wants a shot of Takuma, to witness his godly racing skills off the track.

In Route 5, while there is no street racing activity going on, there is one car that dares to tear up.

16070687014_6747fb43da_c.jpg

Now why would that car made a return? What is its new purpose? One thing is for sure, though, is that the driver behind the wheel is an entirely different person - a Swedish man in his mid-30s.

16693006435_3a9dc829c6_c.jpg

With a reworked suspension for the tarmac, this car definitely shows promise in the turns.

16505413658_ed7f2d461c_c.jpg

Will it succeed in racing on tarmac? Only time will tell...

Meanwhile...

16691965402_086a3dd22c_c.jpg

...Jintei is back in action. The GT-R's engine didn't really break at all after overheating in its battle against the Nissan 2020. The RB26DETT's durability in unquestionable.

In fact, in an aim to recapture his highway glory, Iwasaki boosts the car's power further to 900 horsepower.

At the tunnel, the GT-R hits the 400 KM/H mark at 9000 rpm in 6th gear.

16485728027_e84cc5072c_c.jpg

Iwasaki: "400 kilometers an hour. A feat only accomplished by a fortunate few. However... with Takuma's departure from this country, I felt, ironically, sad. Is it really true that one needs a nemesis? A nemesis indeed pushes one to improve. Takuma is the sole purpose why I'm going faster."

Suddenly, his phone rings. And he has the habit of answering them, out of respect. He is prompted to slow down to cruising speed and answers it.

Iwasaki: "Hello? A shocking news?

WHAT?!?

H-How... did he pass on?

I see. It truly is a sad day. I offer my sincerest condolences. I must inform someone close to him, though."

He pulls over, and offers a moment of silence. Iwasaki respects his fellow street racers who made a mark and has demonstrated true potential.

After that silent prayer, he shifts to 1st gear and resumes his run.

Iwasaki: "Mr. Mitsu... he has passed on. Now, Route 5 will never be the same. In fact, I can sense trouble brewing."

In a quiet area among the rather lively Harajuku Omotesando, a small but orderly house sits among the residential area.

A young man, in his 20s, wearing a convenience store uniform is seen taking out the keys and opens the gate. He enters the home and takes off his shoes.

Who is the boy in question? His name is Toru Tanaka. He has been living alone since last year, and he has managed to make his house orderly and pay the bills on time. His salary as a part-time employee in a convenience store helps him survive.

After placing his bag on the chair, he goes to a garage and puts his slippers on. It turns out he owns a car - albeit a second-hand one - which is unexpected for someone that age.

Of course, one wants the car to be neat and shiny, especially when it concerns a sports coupe such as this red Mitsubishi FTO GP Version R.

16693004625_74938ae278_c.jpg

Used ones are easy to find and cheap, and in fact his parents bought that one for him in order to go to school without the hassles of public transport.

He looks at it with delight, typical to any car enthusiast.

Toru: "All right, with modifications installed, I am now ready for tomorrow night's big event! I can finally prove to them that I'm not some poser!"

He goes back inside the living room, taking one last glance of the car before shutting off the lights.

End of Page 1

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Mr. Mitsu dead? That's really sad... but his FTO, where is it now?

- With the Mitsubishi VGT back, Route 5 will definitely be plunged into chaos. Toru is obviously naive from that.

- You might be wondering if Toru and Mitsukoshi (the FTO Super Touring Car's owner) are related since they share the same surname. Yes, they are. They are brothers, and their relationship will be explained later on.

- Expect more showdowns here. I'll post the revised tune of Jintei's R34, and the Mitsubishi VGT can be left as is. Just as long as it is painted in Diamond White.

Last edited:
If Toru is a teenager shouldn't he be between 13 and 19? If he is in his 20's he isn't really a teenager. Other than that good chapter 👍

Jody Sanner: "what in the world. Mr. Mitsu IS DEAD!?"

Doris Herrera: "WHAT? I'm going to race HIM!!!"

Don Eckert: "Stop doing this nonsense! Just calm and relax!"

Doris and Jody: "Fine..."

just a news about the death of Mr. Mitsu converted to a fanfic...

Page 2: Freshman Racer

Time: 10 pm, the next night

The Swedish foreigner testing the Mitsubishi VGT is in his room, communicating with Kazunori as he is about to make a report via a Skype video conversation.

He puts up a smile on his face, seemingly confident on his mission - which he is doing under his own volition.

Kaz: "Ah, Rasmus Ahlgren... why have you called?"

Rasmus: "Just happy to report that the car is performing very well on tarmac. And it shows no signs of defects."

Kaz: "Is that so? Glad to hear it. But are you really sure on taking them on? At the streets?"

Rasmus: "There are no major races here in Japan at the moment, so that's the only place I can call them out for a challenge. Besides, the car is mainly built to take on road cars."

Kaz: "You must know Takuma's stance on street racing, and even if he's not in Japan anymore, let's assume that his teammates will carry on that philosophy."

Rasmus: "Then I'll force them to race me. Tackling street racers here will be my task, so as to gather attention. Dream Alliance loves to meddle with affairs concerning racing, am I right? So that's what I'll do - stir up trouble."

Kaz: "All right, then. It's your call. Just be careful out there. Even Japan has tons of surprises. Watch out."

Rasmus: "I'll keep that in mind, sir."

Time: 11 pm

It's the big event, and it has started. The event is basically a monthly race that attracts amateurs who aim to rise their ranks or making a name for themselves. A big prize money is at stake, and of course all participants have done what they can to give themselves an edge over the others.

And Toru is no different.

16080552954_4b9028a511_c.jpg

The FTO has ample power to hold its own in the competition. The 2 liter V6 is compact, yet powerful engine to suit the needs of drivers of all skill levels.

16701823982_2bc1f277e7_c.jpg

Now starting the final lap, a leading Evo is at his sights.

16701823602_ea9cd06c25_c.jpg

Toru: "Come on! Evos aren't always the fastest toys around!"

And as a surprising moment, Toru creeps up behind an Evo VI RS - a swift car even in stock configuration.

16676943986_8c691527e7_c.jpg

Toru: "Keep it coming! I may only have 270 horsepower...."

16082932993_0bd39a04f7_c.jpg

Even though the Evo manages to snake out of the turns quicker, the FTO surprisingly shows little torque steer and its lighter weight allows it to go head-to-head.

Toru: "...but this FTO is lighter!"

With the lighter weight, it allows to take on turns faster.

16516747709_13a1c9c5e9_c.jpg

Toru: "That will show him! That'll show him not to discriminate FTO drivers!"

And the race ends with Toru's victory. The result surprised the entire crowd, including Iwasaki.

16515477660_030b5173eb_c.jpg

Who would have thought that a mere FTO outperformed its opponents a class above? While the FTO is a popular car in the 90s, it only got its status as a handsome-looking niche car, not as a performance heavyweight.

Anyhow, Toru receives his prize, placed in a bag. However, to his surprise, he sees Iwasaki, leaning on to his R34. He walks closer to him...

Toru: "That blue GT-R... there's no mistaking it. JINTEI! You.. you watched?"

Iwasaki: "Of course. I don't miss these types of events held every month. This event reminds me how I entered in the world of speed. This is quite nostalgic, really. And I never expected that a mere FTO would win this event."

Toru: "Hey! It isn't just a mere FTO! I've tuned it with love and care! And now that I have wads of cash, I can use them to finally beat you!"

The young man points his finger at Iwasaki, leaving some people surprised.

Iwasaki puts up a grin on his face, and briefly laughs at the young man's statement.

Toru: "Hey, what's funny?"

Iwasaki: "You think a freshman like you will achieve anything with that attitude? Let us say you did beat me, what will you do next? Run around in circles? Waiting for a brave soul to take you on?"

Toru: "Of course! Then that just means I'm the king of the streets!"

Iwasaki: "Sigh... kids like you understand so little nowadays. You are so naive about your future. Oh well, if that's what you think, then there is no point in arguing with you."

Iwasaki gets in the car and storms off.

16516746949_bef5d04e40_c.jpg

Toru: "Heh... he's the show off. Someday, I'll kick his butt! However..."

Toru hangs his head in shame.

Toru: "...how am I supposed to beat him? Once again, I look like an idiot in front of this crowd."

Time: 10 am, the next day

Spring has officially entered, as evidenced by the bright sun warming up the temperatures. Cherry blossom petals shall soon fall on this cemetery, an example how cruel and short life can be, as proven by the flower's short lifespan.

Walking along the pavement is Yuki Kanonji, who brings along flowers. After a few steps, he stops in front of Mitsukoshi Tanaka's grave. He lays the flowers, and offers a moment of silent prayer.

Mitsukoshi has died from prostate cancer, which he had been battling for 2 years. He once used to race together with Yuki, and one of the original Slashers.

A minute later, Iwasaki arrives, and is surprised by Yuki's presence.

Iwasaki: "Yuki Kanonji."

Yuki: "Iwasaki-san, huh? You also know Mitsu-san?"

Iwasaki: "Of course, he was one of the few who actually made me sweat. He truly is the king of Route 5. His specially-tuned FTO is totally nuts."

Yuki: "It's even more unfortunate that his immediate family knows nothing of this."

Iwasaki: "I am wondering though, what will be the fate of his car? I can't imagine nor bear that car being scrapped. It's too precious to see it go to waste."

Yuki: "The "FTO Evo" that everyone fears. Weighing in less than 1000 kilograms with a 4G63 turbo engine producing more than 500 horsepower and to top it off, 4WD. It's a powerhouse combination, and that allowed it to conquer the touge, and eventually Route 5.

You are right, it is unbearable to see it disappear."

End of Page 2

Page 3 - The Other FTO

Time: 11 pm, the next day

The young Toru finally arrives home after a stressful shift in the convenience store. He has no choice but to undergo through it if he intends to survive life. But his racing activities somehow provide him relief from the everyday frustrations. After all, he's a young man yearning for adventure, excitement, and fun.

After getting dressed in his room, his telephone downstairs rings. It is an oddity for someone to call this late.

Toru: "Wow... is the evening still young? A phone call? Hello?"

An old, raspy voice can be heard on the other line. It turns out to be his uncle.

Toru's Uncle: "Oh, have you heard the news?"

Toru: "Ojisan, what's that news?"

Toru's Uncle: "Your elder brother, Mitsukoshi, died a week ago. Does your family even know of it?"

Having heard of it, Toru becomes silent, and breathes out a sigh.

Toru: "No one cares. And that includes me."

Toru's Uncle: "How dare you speak of that! Don't you have any last bit of respect for your late brother? We even went through the effort of burying him! Of all people, you and your family should have known first!"

Toru: "Ojisan, my family has torn apart two years ago. I was treated like a pest, and often compared me to Mitsukoshi, even though he too had lost hope and left the family before I did. I had enough, and as soon as I had enough money, I left.

I didn't really care what happened to him since he left, and now that he's dead, that fact will never change. Sorry, I need to go. This day is quite stressful for me."

Toru's Uncle: "You inso--!"

Toru just puts back the phone and heads straight to the garage. He starts up the car and leaves the garage.

While en route to Route 5, Toru sinks to his thoughts.

Toru: "Mitsukoshi is seen by everyone in the family as role model, or a god, even. Ugh... as if they can force me to be like him!

Sure, if I follow him, I would have a different future. But a future that I didn't write! I am old enough to determine my destiny! Mitsukoshi is Mitsukoshi, while Toru is Toru!

It's just plain stupid to be another person! Being myself is the best lesson life has taught me!"

Suddenly, however, he is greeted by the sight of the XR-PHEV Evolution. The car's odd shape already bewilders him.

Toru: "Eh??? What is that egg-like car? It's a Mitsubishi, definitely, but..."

16518041759_8d8dc0761d_c.jpg

He pulls the car closer, for him to be able to read the model name.

Toru: "Concept XR-PHEV Evolution. That's weird... what is a concept car doing on the streets?"

16516582028_8f8c6341f7_c.jpg

Without any sign, the concept car immediately accelerates.

16084219583_ffb4864978_c.jpg

Toru: "Holy... that massive acceleration!"

He tries his best to keep up, but to no avail, of course.

16703104092_359b387934_c.jpg

Toru:
"Is it from another planet? Are aliens finally here to invade Earth?!?"

Meanwhile...

Rasmus: "Hmph... they are still not here. Perhaps I must blend in a street race event."

16516770360_49f34d50c3_c.jpg

Toru: "That's just sick! So Jintei is not only the racer I have to deal with....

...I need to have a faster car. Even this little dude has its limits."

Time: 5 pm, the next day

After school, Toru takes out a piece of paper from his bag. Apparently he knows his brother's address after making his last contact with him after parting ways. Though he didn't make a single visit even just once, thanks to a rift.

But why would he visit his brother's home? What for?

After half an hour of commuting, he arrives at the destination. The house is obviously abandoned, and he sees a crew taking out whatever item seen inside the house.

Toru: "Excuse me? What are you doing?"

Truck Driver: "We are going to auction every one of Mitsukoshi Tanaka's possessions, including that car. Now why are you here?"

Toru: "I am Mitsukoshi's little brother. Who ordered the auction?"

Truck Driver: "Ushiro Tanaka ordered it."

Toru: "My uncle, huh? Well..."

He enters the garage, and opens the light exposing his late brother's precious machine.

Toru: "The car seems very fresh. Hmmmm..."

Truck Driver: "What? You want to buy it?"

16518039539_4c0a8cab11_c.jpg

Toru: "Yeah. Time for me to finally commence the plan that's running in my mind for two years."

16496880217_fce45cced2_c.jpg

Toru: "I don't care if I have to empty my bank account for this."

Truck Driver: "You know, your uncle told us that the car can be yours if you wish, since he knows both of you are into sports cars, anyway. Oddly enough, Mitsukoshi didn't even bother making a will at all."

Delight can immediately be seen in Toru's eyes.

Toru: "REALLY?!? Ojisan is truly kind after all! Thanks!"

One of the crew members hand over the keys to the delighted Toru, and thanks them. While they return to their work, the young man is satisfied that his lifelong plan - which he carefully thought for so long - will finally commence.

Toru: "With this. With this... I can finally show to my family who I really am. Sure, I will be driving their beloved son's car, but it will be totally different.

I will totally rub it in their faces! They will see the real me! They hate me? FINE! I WILL MAKE THEM HATE ME MORE!

With that, they will truly regret what they have done to me for all those years."

End of Page 3

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- I guess Toru is fed up with his overly expecting parents eh? Kinda understandable why would he take on a different path now that he has his brother's car.

Vocabulary: OJISAN - UNCLE

OJISAN (Uncle) and OJIISAN (Grandpa) can be confused, especially for a first-time Japanese speaker. Same goes to OBASAN (Auntie) and OBAASAN (Grandma).

Last edited:
Page 4: The Return

Time: 10 pm, the next day

Having finally bought the legendary machine his late brother once owned, it would seem that Toru's plans will fall into place. His motives are set, and there's no turning back.

After his shift once again, he immediately gets dressed and then sets off to Route 5. Then, the moment he stepped on the pedal and floored it, he immediately ventures into what would seem like a hyperspace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArD7F1ZZ-_w
(Background Music: Feel The Moment - Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 OST)

16528137219_05145a2fec_c.jpg

Toru: "WHOA!!! This acceleration! I never would think an FTO could be this fast!"

16528136419_24dc253535_c.jpg

Of course, he is yet to be fully familiar with the car. He's not even aware that it has a 4WD system instead of the usual front-wheel drive.

Toru: "This sharpness in steering! Not even my FTO would turn like this! Is this even FF?"

16528135599_2c96cf6a65_c.jpg

Toru: "Just how much power does this car put out?!? This is a rocket ship!!!"

Overwhelmed with the car's performance, Toru pulls over to catch his breath. He puts up a grin, and briefly chuckles.

Toru: "Hehehehehehehe... this is too much. But I would definitely stick with this, if I am to proceed with my plans!"

16091939464_8d2c98926a_c.jpg

After that brief pause, he accelerates again, and then shows a smile.

16713200732_c85f092f56_c.jpg

Toru: "With this, every street racer in Route 5 shall fall! Including that geezer Jintei! Then I'll quit my part-time job, and shall move on to big leagues after I'm done with school!"

He carries on, having believed that he has set his new path in life.

(Music stop)

An hour later, Iwasaki has entered Route 5 as well, but oblivious of the fact that Mr. Mitsu's FTO has made a return.

But for the run, Iwasaki has limited the GT-R's power to 750 HP by lowering the boost settings. He has learned so much from his experiences at this tight street circuit.

Once again though, the Mitsubishi VGT has shown up, still in search for any of Dream Alliance racers. But Iwasaki provides company.

Iwasaki: "What an odd-looking car. Could this be the subject of reports from street racers lately?"

16688340656_aedca5b1ec_c.jpg

However, the concept car accelerates, prompting Iwasaki to do the same and give chase.

Iwasaki: "Oh running away, huh? You have just encountered one of Tokyo's fastest!"

Rasmus, impressed, decides to take things up a notch.

Rasmus: "Keeping up, huh? I guess I was wrong about this city's street racers."

16712977001_6aaf675627_c.jpg

Iwasaki: "I don't let go of my prey. In fact, have you ever seen a predator losing grasp of its hunt?"

16506974177_9f4111bb73_c.jpg

And then, opportunity presents, as the XR-PHEV Evo overspeeds at the hairpin. Iwasaki effortlessly makes a pass.

16091935554_f0fe4b9d8d_c.jpg

However, having piqued his curiosity, Iwasaki decides to pull over. Rasmus decides to do so as well.

16526668278_94afe608a4_c.jpg

The two men get off their cars, and Iwasaki is surprised at the foreign driver.

Iwasaki: "Never really seen a foreigner frequenting around in Route 5."

Rasmus: "Oh you speak English? My name is Rasmus Ahlgren. And you are?"

Iwasaki: "Motoya Iwasaki. Remember it well, as that name will probably haunt you for eternity."

Rasmus: "Such confidence. And I am impressed at your skill, and your car. Skyline GT-Rs are truly monsters in the battlefield. Are you from the Dream Alliance?"

Iwasaki: "Unfortunately not. And also, you'll never be able to find them here. They'll never race at the streets."

Rasmus: "Is that so? I don't want to come all the way here for nothing. I thought I've done enough to capture their attention."

Iwasaki: "You think stirring up trouble in Route 5 will make one of them come to you? Pick your fights wisely, gaijin."

Rasmus: "And I take it that you're the fastest?"

Iwasaki: "I am. And someday, I will take you down, on behalf of all Tokyo's street racers. You picked the wrong place, and persons to fight.

Prepare yourself, because street racers are like a pack of wolves. They'll never stop chasing you after you invade their territory. We are those wolves, and we consider you our prey."

Rasmus: "Don't think too highly of yourself."

Iwasaki: "You too. Don't you ever dare think that the Dream Alliance houses only the fastest racers. You effectively insulted us, and that is unforgivable. Welcome to the world of underground racing.

Time for me to go, and warn others of your presence."

Time: 4 pm

Meanwhile, at the other side of the planet...

16721540291_f22c5b4139_c.jpg

Takuma, at the passenger seat, could not believe at the sheer speed of Rob's McLaren 675 LT. As usual, Rob keeps his air of composure, while setting the lap time.

Corner after corner, the 675 shows promise, thanks to its lighter weight. And with faster cornering speed, it also gives the benefit of having a faster corner exit which allows the car to tackle the long straight in speeds of...

16535372800_48dda2662d_c.jpg

...350 kilometers per hour.

Takuma: "350 KM/H!!!"

Rob: "Ugh... you're just dead weight, really."

But the carbon ceramic brakes assure Rob of immense stopping power, in order to clear the last remaining corners without effort.

It crosses the finish line at...

16696899246_f8f710935a_c.jpg

...6 minutes and 40.973 seconds.

Rob talks to Nigel over the radio communication, and he is informed of that lap time. Satisfied, he shows his trademark smug face.

Takuma: "Oh lord... here he goes again."

Then they meet up with the robot after the run.

Nigel: "Astounding performance, Mr. Rob!"

Rob: "If only Takuma did not come along, then it could have been at least one second faster. He's nothing but dead weight."

Takuma: "Hey you asked me to! And it's not Longtail! I call it the McLaren 675 Can't-Really-Call-It-A-Longtail-McLaren-Is-A-Big-Liar!"

Before the two best friends could bicker any further, Takuma's phone suddenly rings. It turns out to be Iwasaki calling him.

Takuma: "Iwasaki?!? Hmmm... why did you call?"

Iwasaki: "Just letting you know of one important matter. A foreigner driving a futuristic concept car is actually looking for any one of you in the team to race."

Takuma: "I see. Could be one of those Vision GT cars again. I must explain--"

Iwasaki: "I don't care what that is, but I won't allow any of you to soil your hands. Let me do it, and the other street racers. We love soiling ourselves."

Takuma: "As usual, talking with a bit too much confidence."

Iwasaki: "Just don't get involved. We'll finish this for you. I cannot allow that guy to insult our pride as street racers any further. He's stirring up trouble just for one of you to come out. He's clearly using us as a bait, and that's just degrading on our part.

I'll show him how to pick fights wisely. And he's making a huge mistake."

End of Page 4

Page 5: Nostalgia

Time: 1 pm, the next day

Weekend has once arrived, and it's the only opportunity for Toru to head out to one of Yokohama's tuning shops being run by his acquaintance. Having experienced its sheer, rocket speed, the young man has to find out how much power his late brother's FTO makes.

Upon arriving, he is greeted by that acquaintance, who happens to work with a customer car. The mechanic's name is Jun. The man is immediately surprised by the FTO's presence.

Jun: "You..."

Toru: "Yo, wassup, old man! I just got this car the other day and last night it performed like a space ship! I just want to find out how much horsepower this beast makes. Eh??? What's with the face?"

Jun: "Route 5's Shining Diamond... The FTO EVO is back."

Toru: "Um.... what?"

Jun: "Don't you know what that is? It's the fastest car in Route 5! Not even Jintei was able to touch it."

Toru: "Heh. I knew it. I made the right purchase. I never knew that it was once a feared car on the streets."

Jun: "Mitsukoshi sold that to you, huh?"

Toru: "My "beloved" big brother passed away, and my uncle decided that he pass on that car to me. Saved me millions of Yen from that."

Jun: "You're his little brother, huh? Interesting. All right, put her on the dyno."

It takes a little effort to put the FTO on the dyno. After the first run, it makes 490 horsepower... and what surprises Toru is the fact that it sends them all to the four wheels.

Toru: "490 ALL WHEEL HORSEPOWER?!? It's four wheel drive!"

Jun: "By my calculations, it should make 570 horsepower at the crank. The 4G63 turbo is still fresh as a daisy, no doubt. Mitsukoshi maintains that car everyday. Being four-wheel drive helped that car conquer the streets. That man was a pure genius and a bit crazy to have attempted to fit the center differential from an Evo rally car. It works like a charm!"

Toru: "The benefits of endless traction. All right, I'm all set. I'm off to beat Jintei!"

Jun: "What are you trying to accomplish, young man? You think having that car will make you a pro? You just won half the battle, son."

Toru: "I just... want to show everyone how grown I am, and what I REALLY AM. I'm tired of being dictated by everyone. I'm free to make my choices.

Well, time to go. Thank you for the help today."

Time: 10 pm

After being unnerved by the last encounter, Iwasaki returns to Route 5, in order to teach Rasmus a lesson.

However, what he sees next immediately shocks him to the very core - the Route 5's Shining Diamond is right in front of his eyes.

16705000516_81fd592d31_c.jpg

Iwasaki: "What the...?!? It's back! Who could have bought it?!?"

Assuming that a challenger is behind him, Toru shifts down to 2nd gear and accelerates.

(Background Music: Speed of S30Z - Wangan Midnight OST)

Toru: "All right! Let's go, FTO Evo!"

16730901335_b8471a852d_c.jpg

Iwasaki: "This is a nostalgic evening. That FTO... is something to be taken seriously. I made a mistake of undermining it. It really shows how balance is very important, just as the world truly intends to teach."

Upon looking at the side mirror, he recognizes his opponent, and he grins in delight.

Toru: "Our real showdown begins, Jintei! I shall be the victor tonight!"

16108580424_a53c436d88_c.jpg

Iwasaki: "That FTO... once again reminded me of my loss against lesser powered yet balanced cars. Takuma's FD, and that Evo 9 recently. It's not a machine made for 300 km/h runs, even though Mitsukoshi claimed that it did exactly 300 km/h at Route 7. Still, that white FTO commands a very powerful presence!"

Of course, the R34's power evens out the odds.

16704999356_f058aa8f8c_c.jpg

Toru:
"He's still behind me. I hold no doubt on his skills, but I should be outrunning him! This is Route 5's fastest, right?!?"

16108579764_872e4855d2_c.jpg

Shifting down a gear, and turning sharply, Toru spares no time to fool around.

16110946783_430da28e93_c.jpg

However, upon briefly looking at the turbo boost meter, the needle suddenly falls to 0. The young man gets alarmed at the sudden drop of boost pressure.

Toru: "The boost!"

This prompts Toru to concede.

16730899395_4c3afde2bf_c.jpg

16543482330_122b468a6b_c.jpg

Iwasaki: "Mechanical trouble, I suppose. But this night has gotten more interesting, and somehow, relieving. Oh Mitsukoshi, how I wish you are behind the wheel of that car tonight."

Toru gets off the highway and checks the car's engine bay.

Toru: "The engine did not overheat, but the turbo boost is of a concern. Where can I find a replacement turbo for this? I should have known better."

He gets back in the car after closing the hood, and sinks himself into his thoughts again.

Toru: "Sigh... really? What am I doing in my life lately? Failure after failure. My parents saw me as a lost cause, and I ran away. I now live alone to end that nightmare, but I am barely making ends meet. What's worse, work at the convenience store is nothing but misery. What's next? Dropping out of high school?"

However, his train of thought is interrupted by Iwasaki's arrival.

16544783509_29319b58b7_c.jpg

Iwasaki: "Oh there it is. I wonder who owns that machine?"

This prompts Toru to step out, and that made a shocking impression to Iwasaki.

Iwasaki: "You... you're the new owner?"

Toru: "That's right. And that was quite a nice run, and I almost had you, until that stupid turbo gave up on me."

Iwasaki: "Let me reiterate what I said to you before - even if you managed to beat me, do you think you'll progress? You're still young, so you still have a lot of time for you to explore and learn."

Toru: "Seesh... why am I being surrounded by people telling me the same thing?!? Can't I be myself for once? I want to live!"

Iwasaki: "How would you live, if you are so naive? Look at that car, you didn't even feel that the turbo will soon break. There are so many things for you to learn in life."

Toru: "Mitsukoshi was seen as a role model, and my parents force me to be like him. I DON'T WANT THAT. I WANT TO BE ME. I'm not a god!"

Iwasaki: "Sometimes, being yourself would mean walking through the harsh path of reality! People become themselves because of their failures and mistakes. No one's perfect, and neither am I.

All right... I don't want to bring this argument further. But about that car, you have to keep it shining, like a diamond. Diamonds are being lusted upon, because of their brilliance and durability.

With that, use it to shatter something. Shatter your path through fate. That was the clear message Mitsukoshi once relayed to me. And you know where to start?

I'm sure you've encountered that futuristic white Mitsubishi. It's stirring up trouble in Route 5 lately."

Toru: "So you've encountered it too?"

Iwasaki: "Yes. And as a diamond, shatter that piece of crap ruining our reputation as street racers. That car and its driver are using us as a bait to lure Dream Alliance out for a race. On our end, that is insulting. Let us join forces for once, and work together to drive away that fool that entered our home with dirty shoes!"

Iwasaki then goes back inside to take a piece of paper and write his cellphone number. He hands it over to Toru.

Iwasaki: "Here is my number. Call me when you're ready to face him. We shall show him that we are the fastest street racers of this country!

And probably, you'll learn something important on your end."

Toru: "All right. If everyone is telling me to straighten up and fly right, I guess I really have to. I hope I'm seeing the right way. Maybe perhaps this car wants to race in something much more important."

Toru also flashes his phone displaying his number on the screen. Iwasaki takes a moment to copy it in his contacts list.

Iwasaki: "Thank you for the number. I'll call you should I encounter it again. I wish you a better future ahead."

End of Page 5

Jun... Jun Everywhere in Japan... if the FTO EVO drives like a rocketship, can it kill a Nissan R92CP fully maxed out like the X-BOW? (the R92CP can win in Route X, what about Routes 5 & 7?)

It's not JUN AUTO either.

The FTO Evo has its limits, of course. For something under 600 pp, it can take on the likes of GT3 and SUPER GT machines. But it will run out of breath if faced with the R390 GT1 and Toyota GT-One, of course. In fact, have you even read Mitsukoshi's 300 km/h claim? It can do such speed, but it's aerodynamically limited.

Back