Takuma Gaiden II: Road to America (Pt. 2) - Page 31: LFA's Song

• Thread starter RCKakashi14
  • 1,053 comments
Er, one of the pictures is not showing up, again. This time it's the picture before the shot of the red Citroen GT's interior.

Also, this arc is becoming darker with each passing event... It just won't be a simple Le Mans 24h race this time around.

I have replaced it with a smaller resolution. Please refresh.

And also...
Even my previous 24 Hours of Le Mans race (in the GT5 era) was tough for Dream Alliance too. Never in history did that race became uneventful. :sly:

Of course, while I haven't read that version of the Le Mans 24h race, I can bet it was quite the eventful 24 hours for everyone involved. It's just that this time, things are going to become even more eventful... Two Robs, the war against Alan and his attempts at keeping the VGT project alive, and now the mysterious clone who wants nothing but to awake the monster that lives deep within Louis. Plenty of stories, all which will gather at the same place.

And that place is Le Mans... :sly:

Just to give you an idea, Louis and Yuki are alike...

...when their inner beasts are awakened. They become ruthless, and spare no quarter.

Two people with split personalities... Not to mention that they become fierce drivers behind the wheel when their "Inner beasts" kick in. Louis' battle against Rob in Germany is top proof of that.

Page 21: Round The Clock

Time: 6 pm, the next day

Louis has just returned to his new home after an afternoon practice from Sarthe. He takes off his shoes and socks to let his feet rest, after a whole session of footwork in the car. It can be tiring as all.

Sitting on the sofa, he reaches for the remote control and opens the television. Just like everyone else, he immediately goes to a news channel.

"Last night, a footage from one of the hospitals in Paris showing a middle-aged man walking slowly, and then crawling for his life and lost consciousness in front of the emergency room door. Eventually, his identity is revealed as Baptiste Lacoste."

Hearing that name, Louis sits right up, focusing further.

"Baptiste Lacoste has received a stab wound and had massive blood loss. He is currently in the ICU and is under heavy observation, by both doctors and security as ordered by his colleague Alan Long of the Vision Gran Turismo racing team. Investigations are underway, but initial speculation points to a work-related altercation."

Louis: "Serves him right. But who could have done such thing? He must have aggravated so many others, by a lot."

He then stands up and prepares ingredients for dinner as the next news report displays.

Louis: "I might be accused of that. I gotta get myself ready. But strangely, I wish for that old man to live and tell the tale. Anyways, I'm used to being associated with felonies."

Suddenly, his smartphone buzzes, a sign of an incoming call. Picking it up, it turns out to be Rob. One would be surprised to have a nemesis calling him out of all people.

Louis: "Hello?"

Rob: "Where are you? What are you doing? I was thinking of a little boys night out. Even rivals can be in good terms, am I right?"

Louis: "I'm in my home, cooking my supper. Wanna come here?"

Rob: "Won't you mind? I'll about to treat you, but all right. I'm coming."

Louis: "I'll send you the directions via SMS after this call. Some strange things happened, and knowing your other profession I need your help."

Rob: "Be thankful your dear friend here is an MI6 agent. I'm on my way."

Half an hour later, Rob manages to locate Louis' home just in time the dinner is ready to be served. Louis takes him in.

Louis: "Thank you for coming. It might be awkward that I'm asking help from you again, even though we're rivals."

Rob: "As long there is a bond, we can change how we run it. Even if we started in a bad way."

The two men head to the dining table. The meal is a simple meat loaf that is enough for two people.

Rob: "You live alone?"

Louis: "Correct."

Rob: "So, why do you need my help?"

Louis: "Strange things happened lately. First, my home got burned and now Baptiste being attacked to an inch of his life. I might be even accused of it, knowing how I burned bridges."

Rob: "Baptiste from Vision GT got attacked? Strange. They didn't do anything diabolical lately for them to deserve that retaliation."

Louis: "And then this person in red racing gear. He has yet to show his identity."

Rob: "Funny... I encountered that person yesterday while I was about to get out of Sarthe after the practice. He does look mysterious.

I can help you out, but I am assigned in tracking down some rogue cop named Fate. I'm not sure how much assistance I can provide given that circumstance."

Hearing that name, Louis drops his utensils by surprise.

Louis: "Fate?! I thought..."

Rob: "What? You know him?"

Louis: "Ummmm.... just heard that name a long time ago."

Rob: "But you seem surprised. Clearly you have a connection."

Louis has found no use in hiding it. And so he breathes out a deep sigh.

Louis: "I can't hide it any further. People are right, you can't run away from your past. But assure me one thing.

You'll be the only person I'll entrust you with my revelation. It'll be quite long."

Rob: "Even agents can keep secrets. They have to, especially when it comes to classified data that I accidentally shared to you just now. Apparently it's not a mistake. Since you know him, I'll hear you out."

Louis: "All right, first things first I will keep your assignment secret. And here goes.

It all began two years ago..."

For the entire dinner, Louis tells his past. Whatever said from his tale is for us to find out soon...

Time: 3 pm, the 24 Hours of Le Mans

Two weeks have gone by, but all were spent in preparations for this grueling but epic race for supremacy. Fans all over the world flock and camp out around the track's premises, in order to catch even a glimpse of the action.

While festivities are going on before the start, no racing team can afford to celebrate as they are all making the last minute setups of their respective cars.

For the Vision GT Team, business is as usual even in the absence of Baptiste. Alan is seen doing stretches, as he is to race and prove himself along with the project they have worked on for so long.

In Dream Alliance, Hiroyuki gathers the drivers for a brief message before the race could begin.

Hiroyuki: "This is it. Time to pour everything you've learned so far, particularly you Owen. Do not disappoint Rob here, and your future child. I'm impressed by your growth considering you joined us just months ago.

Takanori? You were chosen by Rob for a purpose. I know you are to represent Dennis, but also you have to prove that you are as capable as your twin. If Takuma prevailed here, so can you.

And Rob, I remember how you ran in your first stint of 24 Hours of Le Mans. For your second attempt now, you are carrying the Union Jack flag. Race with pride, and make your brothers proud, particularly Dennis.

I am all proud of you. Win or lose, give everything you got. I do not want exuding unnecessary pressure to all three of you. The real pressure is at the competition."

Then at Blue Streak Racing...

Louis is about to don his helmet, since he is the first driver to run. Suddenly, Nina gives him his phone, buzzing once again.

Nina: "A phone call. Will you answer it?"

Nonetheless, Louis takes the phone and answers. It had to be taken care first.

Louis: "Hello?"

Fate: "Well well well, the entire world is now watching you, Zephyr."

Louis: "Fate?! I can tell your voice. What are you doing here? Where are you?!"

Louis briefly looks around and then steps out the pit garage to look for signs of Fate at the bleachers.

Fate: "Do not let me distract you, boy. In fact, I'm rooting for you. You are the fastest racer of Redview County, am I right? Put your skills into good use and focus on winning.

I'm impressed that you can run rings around the fastest names in the racing world. Just go out there and show the world who Zephyr is."

Louis: "Do not ever dare call me Zephyr. I have abandoned that name long ago."

Fate: "Hehehehehehehehe. As if! As long as you're living, the past will catch up to you. Well, whatever. Do not let me down right now. Have fun.

And see you soon..."

The call ends abruptly. Louis breathes out a sigh once again, and puts his phone aside.

Louis: "I'll just take that as a prank call. I am living a new life, that's for sure!"

And the moment that everyone waits for finally arrives. The 24 Hours of Le Mans has officially started, with weather being cooperative this time around.

The audience cheers loudly as the cars rocket from the rolling start.

24h.jpg

Background Music

24h_1.jpg

Hiroyuki:
"With all cards on deck, I do not expect a swift victory. After all, there is no such thing as Absolute Victory. We are bound to suffer along the way."

24h_2.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Vision GT is also serious about this. But we will still stand at what we're truly fighting for! Do not underestimate the power of determination!"

24h_3.jpg

Hiroyuki: "About Louis Montagny, I tip my hat off to him. He's the only person we've encountered who can topple even my best drivers. Good for him if he wins this one. He has a bright future ahead."

24h_4.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Because of that, do not rush things, Rob. A lot can happen in twenty four hours. Perseverance is the name of the game here. A cool head always prevail in heated battles. Save the best for last, if I were you. You can catch him at a much better rate in that manner."

24h_5.jpg

Hiroyuki: "The rest of us in the team did everything we can and always ready to assist. Now, for the three of you, it's your turn to deliver."

End of Page 21

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Once again, I uploaded the photos directly here. Flickr has a mind of its own, apparently.

- Expect the race to be split in 3 to 4 parts, depending on how long the pages would be.

Page 22: Priority

An hour has passed, and a lot has already happened as Hiroyuki predicted to be. First, the Peugeot VGT gains a massive lead thanks to its speed along with the fact that there have been multiple pit stops thanks to some minor problems that slowed them down as a result.

priority.jpg

Blue Streak Racing is no different, either. The 908 exited the pit lane just now after its front brakes were being replaced along with tire changes.

While Dream Alliance's Speed 8 has overtaken and set a sizable gap between its arch-rival, the tires are about to lose grip in probably a few laps.

priority_1.jpg

Rob: "I think this advantage will dry out quickly. The tires are about to give up."

Rob's statement holds true, as Louis is quickly eating up the gap.

priority_2.jpg

Finally managed to get hold of Rob, Louis holds back a little.

Louis: "I may have entered the pit, but I should have struggled in keeping up in one lap. What's wrong, Rob?"

priority_3.jpg

Louis notices the Bentley's peculiar movements.

Louis: "As expected. Your tires are starting to lose grip."

priority_4.jpg

Fans start to cheer wildly as they see the two cars battling it out. Everyone is expecting the showdown of badass drivers. However, they only see the outer shell...

Louis: "Your Bentley is definitely fast, but if you intend to win, that car needs to endure!"

priority_5.jpg

Rob still hasn't entered the pits as Louis predicted.

Louis: "Imbecile! You will drag on like this?! Remember, this is just the beginning!"

priority_6.jpg

At the Mulsanne straight, the two LMPs are equal in speed thanks to Louis' decision to use a low downforce setup for the 908.

priority_7.jpg

Rob: "We're on equal footing in terms of velocity. We're both hitting 360 kilometers per hour."

priority_8.jpg

However, despite the setback he has, Rob keeps on attacking the chicanes.

Louis: "You're still pushing it."

priority_9.jpg

Even though Rob soldiered on the latter half of the course, the Speed 8's limits have reached as the tires have totally given up on the Porsche curves.

Rob: "Shoot!"

priority_10.jpg

And suffers understeer as a grand consequence for pushing too hard.

priority_11.jpg

Rob hits the button on the steering wheel that opens up the communication line to his team.

Rob: "I need a tire change, and refill!"

Nigel: "Understood!"

priority_12.jpg

Rob: "You got me, monsieur. I was just testing if we can duel out like this. Turns out to be plausible."

Louis: "Save the best for last, Rob. Our priority is...

24h_3.jpg

Louis: "...the takedown of the VGT Team! We have to bust it up to pieces!"

End of Page 22

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Next up, will be the night when the VGT will strike. For that, I need a volunteer. I will open a club room at 8 pm (GMT+8). Perhaps even the volunteer for the Speed 8 can come in too, so we can kill two birds in one stone.

Page 23: Night Vision

Time: 11 pm

In a five-star hotel room, a hot coffee pours into the cup. Aroma soothes next, and then cream and sugar come into the mix. It's Takuma who wants to have a dose of caffeine, especially the fact that he is watching the race on paid live streaming.

Sir Shaw cannot afford to sleep as well. And so he gets a bottle of bourbon and watches along, not minding the small screen size of Takuma's laptop.

Why are they in a hotel room instead of watching the race in person? Simply put, Takuma prioritizes security among everything else. He cannot even blink his eye for the job at hand.

Takuma: "My team is in a pinch. Owen struggles to keep up with those two Peugeots."

Sir Shaw: "Hehehehehe.... aren't all heroes pinned down on all sides at the beginning?"

Takuma: "That could be true, but if you are consistently screwing up, then you'd better off being a clown instead."

Sir Shaw: "8 hours has just passed by, my son. 16 hours is an ocean of time. You have a chance, and aren't you supposed to have a high fighting spirit? Where is it?"

Takuma: "It's still right here. I only use it when needed. Plus, it's not only the VGT I'm worried about. But also the Blue Streak Racing. They exceed my expectations. I hate to admit that."

Sir Shaw: "A man's pride... hehehehehehe. Oh quite a trivial little thing."

Meanwhile, at the bleachers, Fate has stayed for the entire duration. It does seem that he is rooting for Louis after all.

He notices the rest of the audience in their sleeping bags, while the others are wide awake trying their very best to grasp the situation.

Then Rouge arrives, sitting beside Fate.

Fate: "You totally didn't finish him off."

Rouge: "I know. I know. Miracles come in at most convenient of times. I cannot finish the deed, especially that a high-rank security is stationed outside Baptiste's ICU room. They only permit family members and Alan Long to visit him."

Fate: "He will live to tell the tale. How inefficient of a clone like you. Keep it up, and you're bound to lose your sight of Louis."

Rouge then brandishes a dagger, placing it just inches away from Fate's neck.

Rouge: "Careful with what you say, dude. I need you, but you also need me. Don't talk like I'm your servant. I AM REAL."

With that warning passed on, Rouge withdraws his weapon.

Fate: "I'm aware of that. But you have yet to prove a lot more to me, either."

Rouge: "Hmph."

Meanwhile, in the action...

...the two Peugeots have exited the pit lane, just as the Bentley is about to enter. Owen is stressed out, and finds it hard on how to keep up with those two.

Owen: "To be honest, I need a f:censored:ing miracle."

nightvision.jpg

However, Nina seems to also aware of the VGT's intentions. She locks on, and thanks to her night vision feature, she can tackle the course much better than her rivals.

nightvision_1.jpg

Nina: "Target: Peugeot Vision Gran Turismo. Reported to have one is to one power to weight ratio."

She then places the 908 behind the VGT's draft.

nightvision_2.jpg

Nina: "Initiating slipstream."

Her initial effort pays off, with the extra speed being beneficial in overtaking the menacingly fast VGT.

nightvision_3.jpg

Clement: "That pesky 908. Louis may not be driving it right now, but I'll send a message!"

The cunning VGT driver makes an aim.

nightvision_4.jpg

And then makes an attack, by rear-ending the 908 at the Porsche curves. The attempt resulted the 908 being slightly thrown off its balance. But thanks to Nina's programming, the robot keeps the car in control.

Nina: "Offensive tactic detected. Initiating retaliation measures."

nightvision_5.jpg

Beginning the next lap, Nina once again locks on. But this time around, a payback is in order.

nightvision_6.jpg

Making it seem like a mistake in maneuver, Nina feigns understeer to drag the VGT off the corner.

nightvision_7.jpg

Clement: "You wanna play it this way, woman?"

However, it's too late. The 908 shows incredible recovery at the first part of the Mulsanne straight, and then gets away even further after the first chicane.

nightvision_8.jpg

Nina: "Execute 100% attack mode. Accelerator input is in its highest setting."

The gap spreads throughout the straight. Clement could only watch the lights from the 908 fading away to the distance.

nightvision_9.jpg

Clement: "What incredible driver!"

nightvision_10.jpg

One thing is for sure, Nina is more than just a robot with a sensual figure...

End of Page 23

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Will open a club lobby later. I'll see if there are volunteers...

- And guess whose battle aura will debut next. :sly: Easy, right?

Last edited:
Page 24: Double Team

Time has passed quickly, and also luck has turned around to Dream Alliance's favor. The two Peugeots had to pit in multiple times at dawn because of technical issues.

After that setback, the race went on smoothly.

However, with just 6 laps left, Rob and Louis know that they had to do something not only to add excitement for everyone, but also they have to take down what's responsible for changing their lives - the Vision GT Project. They now have to fulfill a moral obligation first...

...but that doesn't mean Alan Long can just sit back. He takes the stage, and takes on the opposition.

Alan: "What are you doing, Dream Alliance? Why are you slowing down?"

Turns out, that Rob is keeping the VGT at bay as the 908 keeps up. Time to gang it up...

Background Music

gangup.jpg

Louis: "We cannot allow you to alienate our dreams. If you think greatness can be achieved overnight, then you are wrong!"

gangup_1.jpg

And Louis make his first strike. He rear-ends the VGT as a sign of his intention.

gangup_2.jpg

Alan: "Now I've got this rising star against me? What are you two trying to prove? That you're heroes? Enough of this nonsense!"

Then Louis applies his unorthodox method of blocking, sending the VGT to the sand.

Louis: "Don't forget. I was once a street racer. Street racers can be jerks behind the wheel."

gangup_3.jpg

gangup_4.jpg

Alan: "You think you have power over me, you ungrateful idiot?! Because of you, Baptiste is hanging on a thread!"

gangup_5.jpg

Alan: "So this is how you two will play, huh? I am ace when it comes to playing dirty!"

And he proves it. Alan uses a shortcut to overtake the two at the start of the next lap.

Maria: "Hey! That's not fair!"

Andy: "Seesh. When did Alan play clean, eh?"

Hiroyuki: "Cheating is the weapon for the desperate. Alan is desperate to prove to his father how accomplished he is without ever following his father's examples nor experiences. It's harsh for Zhang to disown his son, but Alan deserves it."

gangup_6.jpg

Alan: "Seriously, what is wrong with me having to fulfill my ambition?! I don't care if I deny the happiness of others! They deserved it for crossing with me! Leave me alone! If I have to change the racing world to achieve my goal, then so be it!"

gangup_7.jpg

Alan: "Don't I have the right to be happy for once?! My father denied me of it, and so does everyone else around me! What should I do to be happy, then?"

However, the two LMPs quickly recover and are ready to strike once again. Louis volunteers to make the offensive.

Louis: "This is my territory, imbecile! Play nice!"

gangup_8.jpg

With all the pressure, Alan completely forgot to anticipate the first chicane. His braking was too late.

Alan: "Damn you. So you two are in cahoots!"

gangup_9.jpg

The two LMPs formed a defense tactic wherein the VGT could not overtake.

gangup_10.jpg

Rob: "What's wrong? I thought your VGT can handle its own against LMPs? Money down the drain for you..."

With just three laps left, Alan once again goes all out and uses the shortcut again. He didn't even mind the penalty set on him and go on full throttle instead.

gangup_11.jpg

Alan: "Never will I yield to the likes of you! You shall be in my control soon enough! FIA will be mine!"

Louis now starts to cringe.

Louis: "I said... this is my territory. Now, YOU'RE NOT WELCOME!"

Louis shows his retaliation as he rear-ends the VGT at the first chicane.

Alan: "That's it! You have crossed the line!"

gangup_13.jpg

Alan instead takes a deep breath. But something diabolical enters in his mind.

Alan: "If you deny me of my happiness, then so do you. I will make sure you'll regret this, you fools! I am no longer afraid of your shenanigans! Kaz is spineless! I am destined to be much greater!

gangup_14.jpg

Braking hard for the 90-degree turn. Louis notices the raging speed of the VGT on his right.

Alan: "ALL SHALL BE LOST FROM YOU!"

gangup_15.jpg

Seeing this as a kamikaze attack, Louis applies the brakes reflexively.

gangup_16.jpg

And saves him from a dangerous collision. Alan's last-ditch effort is in vain.

gangup_17.jpg

The strong impact injures Alan. The marshals hurry to assist him in getting out.

With just the two of them, nothing can mess with their fun.

gangup_18.jpg

Rob: "It's just between you and me now. No holds barred!"

gangup_19.jpg

The most exciting part of this endurance begins now. The final confrontation.

End of Page 24

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- It's just one duel left. I need a volunteer for the Speed 8. Room will be open tonight.

Better use this gif again, because it's going to happen; Rob vs Louis, Le Mans ver.

mSFXk2a.gif

Also, I'm pretty sure that the race director would just smack Alan with a stop & go penalty (if not worse) for doing what he did in the final chicane, but I guess now that won't be necessary...

Page 25: Final Struggle

With the Vision Gran Turismo team out of the ring, the wild card battle is taken care of. Time for the main event. Three laps remain, and all racing fans cannot afford to blink.

19571146168_f118416e4a_c.jpg

Maria: "I cannot afford to look back for a second!"

Owen: "No one is giving a damned quarter."

Meanwhile, at the bleachers, Rouge and Fate also got a grasp of what went on, despite having slept for quite a long time.

Rouge: "I wonder if Louis will go Zephyr on his opponent."

Fate: "We've already seen a bit of Zephyr, the moment this race started."

Rouge: "I'm doing what you asked, anyway. Make Louis remind of his past."

Fate: "But do not worry about that anymore. I'll take care of that."

Rouge: "Hey. Just make sure I get close to him. I want a piece of him too!"

Fate: "You'll have your turn. Soon enough..."

At Dream Alliance, every single member is watching the duel on the large screen. The 908 and Speed 8 are on equal footing.

Takanori: "Damn! I've never seen a Le Mans race this exciting! Usually at the final parts, the winner is already decided a few laps before the end."

Hiroyuki: "What? You found this more exciting than our previous stint? I kinda agree."

19138276103_6d8fb83838_c.jpg

Maria: "Though I haven't seen a battle that close. I do hope they're not playing around."

Nigel: "No one does. The 908's performance simply exceeds my calculations. But it is explainable."

19571144118_8848f27471_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Since this is Louis' home course, naturally he'll come up with the most ideal strategy."

Nigel: "The 908 is currently set up to have a lower downforce, to increase his fighting chance against us. He knows very well the weaknesses of a diesel motor.

With the Mulsanne straight now featuring chicanes, top speed isn't that much of a priority anymore. Gone are the days of 400 km/h Group C cars.

But ironically, the 908's gear ratios are most likely to have wide ratios, since Blue Streak Racing announced that their car has 1330 foot pounds of torque."

Takanori: "That's massive! I think it can even haul a house!"

Nigel: "Because of that, monsieur Louis can set wider gear ratios for top speed, and coupled that with the low downforce setup, the 908 is on even footing with our Speed 8. Not only this reduces the amount of shifting and bolster fuel economy, but also it can match the Speed 8's top speed."

In the heat of the battle, Rob definitely notices Louis' intentions of garnering the victory.

19572566089_e207756203_c.jpg

Rob: "You're going all out. Save the best for last, they say."

However, the two cars keep on changing positions, further adding to the tension.

19571145910_360c7af1e4_c.jpg

2nd to the last lap, and the audience cheer even louder.

Rouge: "There's a lot to be excited about, huh? Is Louis' opponent that good?"

19751911062_cfd74182b7_c.jpg

Fate: "Heh. Zephyr is truly back..."

Background Music

19138270953_e645498844_c.jpg

Rob: "Do not let your eyes off this one, Dennis. This is one race we're dreaming of! We've talked so much about it when we were still starting..."

19732987036_8774cddaf0_c.jpg

Rob: "Because of that, I have no reason to disappoint you!"

19759158055_2283150a55_c.jpg

Rob: "My adversary in front of me, is the challenge I'm truly seeking for!"

19571136638_d13f091f6c_c.jpg

In hopes of accelerating as early as possible, the two cars instead drifted side by side. Though the resulting effect wasn't their intention, the stunt clearly amazed the viewers.

Louis: "Merde! I accelerated too early! Good thing the same happened to him..."

19571135628_1d53b4b078_c.jpg

And it's the final lap. The last push to victory.

19136571834_8e45b63d00_c.jpg

Takanori: "I'm getting goosebumps! This is way too intense!"

Maria: "They're giving everything they've got! MISTAKES ARE NOT ALLOWED!"

19759153805_04676ab25f_c.jpg

Louis: "Even with this tension, I'm actually very happy. This is the battle I'm looking forward to in ages!"

19751902432_37685c8ff1_c.jpg

Rob: "One final push! LET'S GO ALL OUT, LOUIS! Nothing holds us back now!"

19732979826_fb1948b0d6_c.jpg

In the next page, you shall witness the exciting conclusion! Two of the racing world's badass drivers now head to their final clash for supremacy. Who shall stand at the top of the podium?

End of Page 25

Page 26: One Final Push

The final lap. It's the last charge for glory. One cannot afford a mistake. Audiences from around the world are glued on either on their seats or the television. The last few seconds count.

19605976998_66a3aae115_c.jpg

Rob Hatch and Louis Montagny - two of the hottest rising racing stars of Europe, aiming to show the world what they're truly capable of. The former has finally found his match for all these years.

However, capitalizing Louis' mistake at the Mulsanne corner, Rob takes the lead and accelerate.

Background Music

19173097193_f3e1cd166a_c.jpg

Is victory within Rob's grasp? Not quite...

19171388434_49be42c088_c.jpg

Louis: "I'm not that far behind! Don't be too complacent!"

Rob overshoots at the next turn, creating an opening for Louis.

19786703922_9d5597ec1c_c.jpg

Louis: "I told you! Anything can happen even on the last lap! You blew it!"

Rob: "Out of my way! I've got someone's dream to fulfill! YOU'RE NOT PART OF IT!"

19798775551_fbc8d6f7f5_c.jpg

The excitement boils to its highest level as the cars keep on fighting for the lead at the last moments.

However, just as things would end...

...the Speed 8's front suspension breaks down as Rob turns slightly.

19767799876_f7e04f0b91_c.jpg

Rob: "NO!!! This bloody car gives up on me?! KEEP FIGHTING!"

But that doesn't mean a guaranteed victory for Louis, either. The 908's transmission malfunctions as well. He cannot shift gears.

Louis: "The transmission!!!"

19767799006_5f0f2e5cba_c.jpg

There are a few turns left. But the fighting spirits of these two men are still illuminating.

19173090323_393906fe3a_c.jpg

Takanori: "NO!! The Speed 8's suspension!"

Maria: "But I've heard just right now, the 908 has problems too!"

Hiroyuki: "It now boils down which fighting spirit is the strongest."

Forcing his way to the chicanes with broken steering, a glimpse of Rob's past enters...

19171381394_1087c5e289_c.jpg

Rob: "Hey Dennis... now that we've started our career as drivers, no matter which team we end up ourselves with, our goal would still be Le Mans."

Dennis: "Wow... let's do it! Le Mans it is, then. We must be an unstoppable duo! Imagine what would the world would call us."

Rob: "Silly, it takes three to race it. But I'll make sure...

...that you and I will finish it together."

Even with the broken gears, Louis accelerates. But since the engine kept on over-revving... it finally gives up.

19171380364_58f9fc085f_c.jpg

Toru: "The engine blows!"

Simultaneously, Rob forces to steer on the right for the last turn. This prompts the Bentley to spin out of control...

19605972470_04e47dae00_c.jpg

final2_11.jpg

Louis could do nothing right now, but watch Rob's Speed 8 spin towards its victory.

19767793526_6b18307393_c.jpg

With the Speed 8 crossed the line and the checkered flag waved, the winner is decided. The audience cheer on their wildest.

Background Music

Takanori: "WE DID IT!"

Owen: "That was super duper bloody close!"

Rob, still inside the car, couldn't believe what he achieved. He fought until the very end for Dennis. Upon getting out, he takes off his helmet and his face is shown having tears.

The entire Dream Alliance rush to the finish line and gather around Rob. But in an instant, Rob tearfully hugs Takanori...

Rob: "We did it..."

Takanori: "You still see me as Dennis, huh? Anyhow, he's very happy from above, for sure."

After the awarding ceremonies, Rob holding his trophy is seen having his photos taken by various media. Louis just passes by, but very happy for his rival.

Louis: "You've done very well, Rob Hatch. I salute you. You're the greatest person I've ever known."

However, Rob excuses himself and catches up with Louis.

Rob: "Louis!"

Louis: "Rob..."

Rob: "Félicitations. I've had a lot of fun. Thank you. We've exerted our very best efforts."

Louis: "I have to thank you as well. Actually, we've become better persons. The true meaning of rivalry is encouraging one another to succeed. It doesn't always have to be enemies. Très bien. Merci beaucoup."

The two men proceed to do a bro fist. A new friendship has spawned out of rivalry.

Time: 10:30 am, the next day

Nobuhiko is honing his skills at his home course as usual, as a weekly routine. While he hadn't came along with his teammates for the entire season, he follows their activities as well. Of course, he has known his team's close victory in Le Mans. For that, it's already more than enough for him to make his day.

19798767441_b7d1cbdae2_c.jpg

He has done a hundred laps. But one thing almost slipped from his mind, hence he has to do it right now as he looks at the bouquet of flowers on the passenger seat.

The FT-1 slows down approaching at a specific corner and stops right there.

19798766681_2b0acdae75_c.jpg

19173083753_2209eac5dc_c.jpg

He then steps out of the car, bringing the flowers along. Then he lays them on the asphalt and he bows his head in silence with prayer.

After that brief moment, Nobuhiko looks up at the sunny sky. He doesn't mind the searing heat of Japan's summer.

Nobuhiko: "Death is truly a horrible curse. It's something we all want to avoid. But that is inevitable, for both young and old. And no one can escape it.
This track has taken countless lives, including yours and mine. Both of us met our tragic end here.

It really goes to show how precious life is. Now that I was given a second chance, it's time for me to truly cherish it and spend each day like it's my very last."

Then he utters these simple words before he gets back in the car.

Nobuhiko: "Forza Jules. May you rest in peace."

End of Page 26

An epic ending to Le Mans....

and a touching tribute to a young star taken away too soon.

Forza Jules...

Page 27: The Past

Time: 1 pm, a week later

At long last, Rob has prevailed over his nemesis, along with fulfilling the lifelong dream he once shared with Dennis. Even though days have passed, the utopia still resides within him, and perhaps will be permanent. He is also aware of himself being the topic of discussion of every racing forum there is.

With everything returning to normal, he first visited his father's rest home along with usual banter with his half-sibling Owen. He also provided the portion of their winnings that Owen deserves.

Everything has accomplished, and it's time for Rob to get back to UK to report to work, just a half day today. However, he receives a call from his superior as he straps in the car.

Rob: "Hello?"

Conrad: "What time will you be getting here? Your friend wishes to see you, and he's here in my office."

Rob: "About an hour. I'm in Essex. But I can cut that to half. You know me, sir."

Conrad: "I know. But you always blame London traffic and G-Wiz drivers when you get late. Anyhow, this is important."

Rob: "Understood, sir. Have a little chit chat with him first. By the way, who is that person?"

Conrad: "Louis Montagny. Now hurry up."

Rob grins upon hearing the name of the person that truly tested his mettle.

Rob: "Heh. All right."

With no time to spare, Rob starts up the McLaren F1 GTR. He braves his way through the B-roads, in an effort to match the time he just said.

19827622371_cac9692f0b_c.jpg

But then Rob sinks to his thoughts first, contemplating with his achievement while going on full throttle.

Rob: "Dennis... I can finally say that our dream is finally fulfilled."

19200145204_bd986e6ec8_c.jpg

Rob: "But I won't stop, Dennis. You must not stop even if you have achieved your goal. I have to expand my horizons. Challenges still lie ahead, and they never stop coming."

19815414652_3c7cd5eb9f_c.jpg

Rob: "I still have a lot to contend with. I anticipate their challenges."

19201860653_af1daa121d_c.jpg

Rob: "Louis Montagny opened my eyes, and is living message that there is someone better than me. I can never, ever be complacent anymore."

Facing the long straight, Rob accelerates immediately after the corner exit. Perhaps showing a sign of eagerness to face future endeavors.

19822775355_578a18a438_c.jpg

Rob: "I still have two people in the list that I have yet to defeat. That time will come soon..."

Time: 1:30 pm

Luckily for Rob, he reaches the destination in time. But that ends there as his favorite parallel parking spot is occupied by two G-Wiz cars.

Rob: "I knew it. Bloody G-Wiz. I want to have a lovely chat with the brilliant person who thought of such brilliant car."

He manages to find a spot not too far from the entrance. He runs his way to his superior's office. Upon entering, he had unintentionally disrupted the conversation of Louis and Conrad.

Conrad: "Brilliant. Anyhow, let's have a recap. While you're on your way here, Agent Hatch, Louis told me his past and his connections with Fate. Now we have a good start."

Rob: "Louis..."

Louis: "It's no use running away from the past. I've tried so many times, and I thought my two years of racing career will be a perfect hiding place, but it turns out that it still kept up."

Rob: "So Fate is bugging you?"

Louis: "Before we started the 24 Hours of Le Mans, he called up to me. I never thought that moment will come to haunt me."

Rob: "The past will always come haunting you, unless you face it head on. Now's the opportunity. You asked help from me before, and I haven't forgotten that favor you asked during that dinner."

Louis: "I thought for a second that you'll never help me, knowing our rivalry."

Rob: "Silly idiot. We're friends, remember?"

Louis comes up with a smile combined with a slight giggle.

Louis: "Hehe... I thought so."

Conrad: "On to another related matter, Baptiste LaCoste has awakened from coma. Pretty sure he'll shed light, and see if he's also connected."

Louis: "Hmmmm..."

Rob: "Louis will dread the thought of visiting him in the hospital room. But that's the only way.

Now, moving on. What about that mysterious red racing driver that also pops up, Louis?"

Louis: "What I only know is that he claims to be my "shadow". He doesn't make sense at all."

Conrad: "Guess you've got one bloody hell of an assignment, Agent Hatch. I wish you good luck."

Meanwhile, Rouge heads out to Le Mans in hopes of encountering Louis.

19796562336_1af99e0a15_c.jpg

But turns out it's in vain...

Rouge: "Where is he? I thought he runs here everyday? Hmmmm... perhaps he's breaking the mold."

19822766095_2fba8d6fb7_c.jpg

Rouge: "Well, whatever. A shadow always sticks behind. But...

...not for long. I'm a shadow no more, Louis. My helmet will come off soon. Excited to see me?

Oh, I need to prepare a script for that. I love drama."

The modified Citroen supercar blasts its way to the Mulsanne straight to parts unknown, along with his intentions that will come to light soon enough.

Rouge is about to make his move. This will mark the start of a dark chapter for Louis Montagny...

THE END

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Next arc will be titled "The Streak". That's final.

- Pretty soon, I'll be posting details about the setups for the GT By Citroen and Fate's Ferrari Enzo.

19818609712_f85c93b9a7_c.jpg

Title photo. Probably I'll come up more of these in the future.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Feel free to decipher, as that photo has a hidden message or revelation. Or you can just read through the story if you can't decipher it at all.

I'm still sticking with my theory that Louis and Rouge were partners, unless there's something more disturbing.

19818609712_f85c93b9a7_c.jpg

THE STREAK

Louis Montagny, a promising race car driver that has proven his mettle to the world, even making the Dream Alliance racers tremble on their feet. With that new lease in his life, his mind is made up and sure to move on with his new venture to greatness.

However, the past that he tries so hard to escape finally catches up to him. Two people from his past keep on showing signs, particularly the mysterious race car driver in red that claims to be Louis' "shadow"...

Page 1: Rouge

Time: 8 am

Much like every cosmopolitan metropolis around the world, London also has its share of huge traffic jams. After all, a city that signifies progress, beauty, and heritage is sure to attract the populace. Even residents from the suburbs come to the capital to do their living - whether it's work or business.

And so, Rob Hatch is among one of the million dwellers who have to face the morning stress of traffic.

Driving his McLaren 675LT... or rather prowling within traffic, he just bears the severity of the jams especially at the traffic updates released by the radio. He finds a parallel parking spot, which he assumes his car would fit.

Rob: "I don't mind having a little stroll to the office..."

However, as it turns out, some bicycles prove to be a hindrance especially in reversing since they took up a little space that renders the car unfit for the spot.

Rob: "Damn cyclists. And Takuma is faffing about this car not a proper "Long Tail"? Heh."

Not minding how minutes he is late for work, he finds for another spot as he lets the car blitz through. The noise attracted some attention from supercar spotters and bystanders alike.

He then tries his luck when he goes to his ideal spot right in front of the headquarters. But once again, it's filled with scooters and bicycles owned presumably by his co-workers.

Rob firms his grip on the wheel, and...

Rob: "I HATE LONDON!!!"

Left with no choice, he enters the car park. As much as possible, he avoids the company car park since the whole day rate is not worth the convenience...

As he reaches for the ticket, Rob covers his face with the palm of his hand as he sees the new rate.

Rob: "16 pounds??? Oh that's just a bollocks piece of sh..."

Rob goes on cursing as he locates for the spot. And after that long struggle, he finally finds one.

Shutting off the engine, he then grabs a gun from the door's side pocket. He swiftly gets out of his supercar, and then aims the gun at the balcony located at the floor which he works at. Pulling the trigger, it releases a long string and a hook instead of a bullet. Having attached to the bars of the balcony, Rob scales up his way just to get to his cubicle in the fastest way possible.

He makes to his cubicle, with Mark noticing Rob's obviously frustrated look on his face.

Mark: "You're not the slow one, aren't you?"

Rob: "Stupid cyclists ruining my day. Grabbing all what's left in London. I shall gather them all and blast them to smithereens."

Mark: "Sir Conrad is looking for you."

Rob: "Sigh... okay."

Rob heads to his superior's office immediately.

Conrad: "Good morning, Agent Hatch. You're quite late."

Rob: "I had too much of a good sleep, sir. But I'm sure that's no good excuse."

Conrad: "I want to hear an update on Louis Montagny's case. Any progress?"

Rob: "Right now, that cheese-eating surrender monkey does a fine job in covering his tracks. As if that would help solve the matter."

Conrad: "You know, as a friend you must tell him what must be done. One cannot simply run away from the past. The best way... is confronting it. One must not fear his shadow."

Rob: "I'll make that a point. I also want to inform you that I am going to Paris next week to keep an eye on him."

Conrad: "You should have done that the moment you agreed to help him out."

Rob: "Louis has to lift a finger and move a muscle on this one too."

Time: 1 pm

The legendary race track once again oversees Louis Montagny's frequent honing of skills. This time around, he brings the entire team as he is informed of a new car to be used in a race.

Louis is right on the job, extracting the very best of the car's capabilities.

19291184213_b193eaa898_c.jpg

The Renault Sport Megane Trophy race car. While it looks like the common garden variety Megane that is sold on public, in truth it's an entirely different beast.

However, his teammate Toru has a dissenting opinion...

Toru: "Hmmmm.... for a car like that, I'm not sure if it's ideal to test it in Le Mans. It's a touring car."

19885907276_3bc0b8cb7c_c.jpg

Stephan: "What can you expect? Louis insisted once again."

Nina: "But the race will be held in Japan, specifically in Twin Ring Motegi Road Course. There, top speed isn't the priority."

As Toru deduced, the mid-engined Renault racing car manages only 280 km/h at the Mulsanne straight.

19917198711_3ef34e0b71_c.jpg

Louis: "I know, this car is not suited for top speed runs. But Circuit De La Sarthe tests every aspect of the car too."

With the car's engine placed at the middle, an ideal balance is achieved which makes it easy to tackle the chicanes.

19291180933_1bf2444eb1_c.jpg

Louis: "This is an interesting car."

19912127995_d49614e9a9_c.jpg

But Louis, having known about the upcoming race in Japan, has an idea that suddenly came in to his mind...

19724112380_a89daf4e6b_c.jpg

Louis: "Japan, huh? I wonder if... How about...? Well, it's a foreign land, it could be perfect for what I'll about to do."

But without thinking too much on that matter, Louis resumes his run. However, it's time to pit in as thirst dominates him.

Upon returning to the pit lane, he immediately grabs a cold can of soda and observes the crew changing tires and refueling the car. Stephan approaches him.

Stephan: "Ready for Japan?"

Louis: "More than ready. I'm already motivated, thanks to you. Well, you made me feel like a family member the moment you welcomed me to this team. That alone is my motivation."

Stephan: "You're not the type who says things like that. Feel like opening up?"

Louis: "Ehehehe... I just say what I feel. That's all."

Stephan: "I see."

Louis: "By the way, I'm heading to Paris after this. I'll visit Baptiste."

Stephan: "Making amends? That's quite odd to be concerned about your enemy."

Louis: "That's not what I had in mind, and never will be. I just want answers."

Time: 8 pm

As planned, Louis arrives at the hospital where Baptiste is confined. His former manager is still recovering, but now in a private room with his sister accompanying him.

Louis enters, and that prompts Baptiste's sister to leave the two men alone.

Louis: "How are you now?"

Instead of showing surprise, Baptiste laughs.

Baptiste: "Ahahahahahahahaha! I gotta thank you for making my recovery faster. Laughter truly is the best medicine indeed. How funny that the man I despise so much would end up visiting me at all? Aren't you supposed to be celebrating too? You want to see me like this, right? I know. You can yell all you want that I deserve this."

Louis: "Who stabbed you?"

Baptiste: "The doctors tell me that I shouldn't stress myself out. Even though I'd not share it, but I anticipate that your reaction will not be worth my stress at all."

Louis: "According to some witnesses, they see a man in a red racing suit leave the catacomb entrance. The place where you met him, right?"

Baptiste: "Now you know it, there's no sense for me hiding it. And I might as well do something to incarcerate the person who did this to me. Very well, it was Rouge. I'd thought for a second that I can use him to turn on to you, for all those years. I was the one who found him...

But instead, he turned on to me and delivered the coup de grace."

Louis: "Do you even know who that person truly was? Did he even take off the helmet?"

Baptiste: "Hehehehehehehe... of course not. He'll save that for you, and you alone."

Louis: "That's all? You did say you found him."

Baptiste: "He's mysterious. We're not that close."

Louis: "Tsk. This is utterly pointless. A waste of fuel. I should have just gone home instead."

Baptiste: "Indeed. I know almost nothing about him. So there's no point in visiting me at all. You can get out now."

So Louis gets out of the room without further questions.

Meanwhile, outside...

...it turns out that Rouge is observing the situation, simply standing next to his car.

19291177793_3bb02b838a_c.jpg

Upon seeing Louis descending the stairs, Rouge looks at the window of the room where Baptiste is located.

Rouge: "There you go. See? I won't harm ya, old man. Because if you spill the truth, you'll ruin the fun, and no one wants their fun ruined, am I right? Good job with the drama. Now Louis learned nothing today. Even you don't want to see him, I presume. You think you have me in your control, old man Baptiste? Don't ever dare think that way. I'm not a tool... and never will be.

As for you, Louis, do not worry. Just you wait...

...because the stage is set. Our drama is about to commence. You're the only one who deserves to see what's behind my precious red helmet! When that time comes, that episode will be epic!"

End of Page 1

Page 2: Refuge

After a moment of observing Louis' departure from the hospital, Rouge then climbs up to Baptiste's room using his parkour skills. Seeing that Baptiste is alone, he then opens up the window.

Rouge: "Well... have you played your part?"

Baptiste: "What more do you want?! I lied for you! Get out and leave my family alone!"

Rouge: "Relax, old man. It's not good for your recovery. Besides, if you flop on the script, you're the only one taking the blame since you're the only person involved in this mess anyway. Be glad I'm merciful, unlike Fate.

You can rest easy. But as soon as you get out of here, make sure your mouth is shut, or otherwise the consequences will be grave. Au revoir!"

Rouge closes the window and immediately scales down the walls just in time when Baptiste's sister returns to the room.

Baptiste's sister: "That window is open again. Hmmmm... I must inform the maintenance about this. Maybe the lock is broken."

Baptiste just clenches his fists as he looks out.

Time: 1 pm, the next day

Rob is at his table, slowly slurping the hot cup of coffee that just arrived.

However, he is not having a break at all... rather he's right on his case. It turns out that he is observing Fate, who is waiting for his take away order.

Next, Takuma enters the shop. Seeing Rob, he joins his best friend as soon as he has finished ordering.

19912479376_ef3f422156_c.jpg

Takuma: "Looking leisurely here."

Rob: "I'm working."

Takuma: "Working?"

Rob: "Shh! Quiet. Get a newspaper and pretend you're reading."

Takuma does as Rob told, also getting a Daily Telegraph newspaper.

Then they see Fate getting in the Enzo and leave.

19912478446_f63b763b86_c.jpg

Takuma: "Who's the one you're observing that left just now?"

Rob: "The person of interest. Fate. You're always in my way."

Takuma: "Hey, it just happened I want coffee here too!"

Rob: "A disgraced police officer. Terminated because of his brutal methods of apprehending street racers. Now, he is on the run with classified data from CIA."

19912477346_a94fd74025_c.jpg

Rob: "And he's out and about, hunting down Louis Montagny."

Takuma: "Louis Montagny?"

Rob: "Apparently, the two used to go at each other's throats."

19316059454_b78df75708_c.jpg

Rob: "As far as I know... hunting down an ex-cop with sadistic tendencies will be total hell. I've been on a similar mission once. Quite fun, but not the one I'll do for the longest time."

Rob then takes another slurp of his coffee. Now that it's warm, he drinks some more until all the contents are consumed. Then he stands up and prepares to leave.

Rob: "Thanks for dropping by, sweetheart. Gotta go."

Takuma: "Sweetheart, huh? First, it was "buddy", then now..."

Time: 11 pm

With his wife Jenny sleeping, Rob first makes a call to Louis. The latter is about to sleep as well.

Rob: "Louis, you're still awake?"

Louis: "I'm about to sleep. What's going on?"

Rob: "I'll be heading to your place next week. You know, to do my job."

Louis: "I'm actually heading to Tokyo at that time. I have a race. But for now, I decided on something. I have yet to tell the team about it."

Rob: "What is it?"

Louis: "I'll use Japan as a refuge. I don't want my team to be involved in my troubles. It doesn't matter how long my vacation leave would be, as long as I'll use the time to clear up things."

Rob: "You're planning on hiding in Japan? Well, good luck for you. But remember this, the longer you do that, the harder it is for us to take down Fate and more will be involved."

Louis: "I might as well use that as a battleground. But any place would do. As long as to keep my teammates and friends away from danger."

Rob: "You have a brilliant mind. Just let me do my job and the rest shall flow smoothly. I will follow you, and even provide protection."

Louis: "I don't want anyone, even you, to be in danger because of me. But I shall thank you. I owe you a big favor."

Rob: "It will be quite a gloomy spectacle if a worthy adversary disappear in the face of the earth all of a sudden. It'll be no fun if you're gone. Heh."

Time: 7 am, the next day

Meanwhile, the mountains of Kanagawa are awakened by an unlikely alarm clock...

19912475706_3e589159f4_c.jpg

The turbo blow-off sound adds to the car's vocals that shout madness.

19316057584_2fcb7ea748_c.jpg

Yuki: "Time to up the ante some more. The bolt-on turbo is helpful indeed. This still is the fastest car on the downhill!"

End of Page 2

19931886352_620e3eb3d0_c.jpg

Page 3: Refuge (Part II)

Time: 1 pm, a week later.

Everything went as planned. The Blue Streak Racing races in Twin Ring Motegi, aiming to increase their presence in the global stage having proven their mettle in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Offers came in nonstop even though they only placed 2nd.

19996149701_901caabbe6_c.jpg

For Louis, it's also time to commence his plan.

Louis: "It doesn't matter how monsieur Stephan would react to what I'll say. I have truly decided. It's for their own sake."

Regardless, Louis does not hold back. He does not allow that decision to affect him today.

19802944740_f7cc136e1d_c.jpg

Meanwhile, Rob is simply up to his task, observing Louis from the bleachers.

19369940683_f593b32f81_c.jpg

Rob: "He'll win here, I know. But... I'm just worried about his decision. I know I have to keep him safe, but if he wants to feel better about his life, then he must face the past."

19990927595_03fac9819a_c.jpg

Rob: "But the way he revealed that plan... that tone from his voice... it could mean that there are more. Perhaps it's bigger than I thought."

19996146121_a744bfcb39_c.jpg

Rob: "What are you planning, Louis? I can tell... this is more than just a refuge!"

19802852508_0dee707ea8_c.jpg

Time: 7 pm

To celebrate their swift victory in today's race, Stephan treats his drivers for dinner. They watch in awe as the chef cooks the expensive meat on the teppanyaki table. But Louis immediately shifts his mood to a serious one, as he prepares himself to reveal his intentions of staying in Japan.

Nina: "You seem serious."

Louis: "Pardon me if this is an awkward moment, but this is the only opportunity for me to say something very important.

I'll be taking a vacation leave."

Toru: "Huh? Vacation leave?"

Louis: "You've heard it right. I may have known the details of our next race, but I'm leaving them up to you two. I will stay here."

Stephan: "I was about to say that, since you've been doing nothing but drive. You do need rest. But care to explain to us why?"

Louis takes a deep breath, and looks momentarily at the meat being flipped on to its other side.

Louis: "This is for your own safety."

Hearing that, Toru's next reaction is obviously a gasp.

Toru: "What?! What's going on?!"

Louis: "My past is catching up to me. And it's a dangerous one. I cannot let you drag into this. This is why I'm taking off the team for a while."

Stephan: "Hmmmm.... okay. We won't ask you any more details about it since I think they're personal for you. Let's not ruin this dinner, shall we?"

Toru reluctantly agrees as he shows his concern to the person whom he considers to be a big brother.

Seeing Toru's disappointed look, Louis smiles at his young teammate.

Louis: "Toru... I need your help. Let's meet tomorrow, just the two of us."

Toru: "Okay..."

Time: 10 am, the next day

As scheduled, Louis and Toru head out from the hotel together. The former asked the latter to take him to a used car shop.

After all, Louis does need mobility...

They head to Setagaya, a district known for its unique car lots. Unique in such a way that they're selling second hand performance vehicles and even classics.

Toru: "What type of car do you need?"

Louis: "It shouldn't be a supercar. I want to hide under the radar."

Toru: "But you said a while ago that you want a sports car."

Louis: "A sports car that everyone doesn't take seriously."

Toru: "Quite specific, huh? Well... how about this?

19983197742_be75e646de_c.jpg

Toru then picks up a piece of paper containing the details of the modified car written in Japanese.

Toru: "According to the description, it's been modified. Oh... it has a turbocharger?"

Louis: "This could be fun. A Mazda MX-5 is too pedestrian, no matter how much you dress it up."

Toru: "True. But before you settle on that...

...are you sure about this? We can help."

Louis puts his hand on Toru's shoulder.

Louis: "Toru, I appreciate your offer. But it's too complicated for you to understand what I'm going through. I have to clear my mind from the past. In order for me to do it, I have to face it; and it's a perilous one.

Nina and monsieur Stephan will take care of you, don't worry. I've been into this before.

What I want you to do is to get closer to greatness, and make sure you can beat me once I return, okay?"

Toru: "Sigh.... okay. I understand. No use forcing you, huh? But at the same time, I don't feel rejected at all.

Do not worry. I will win every race for you! I'm not going to let you down! But promise me one thing...

...please come back."

Louis shows a bigger smile to Toru, confirming his promise and to end the gloomy moment.

Louis: "Oui. I promise. Hey, you look like you're crying. Don't cry. I promise I'll come back."

My name is Louis Montagny... and from this moment on, allow me to tell you everything. Surely you've been wondering where I came from. I cannot just pop up out of nowhere. Beneath my blue race suit and helmet lies a dark history.

Your questions about my origins will finally be answered from here on.

End of Page 3

Page 4: Beginnings

Author's note: Louis will be doing the narratives from this point on.

Oh hello... you obviously have known me in my adventures in Le Mans. Surely, you've seen my potential that equals to that of your hero Rob Hatch. I was once his rival... but now he's the person who I can depend on this tumultuous time.

But behind my carefree facade is a rather dark and shady past I wish to run away from. I have thought all along that facing a new life as a professional race car driver would make me escape from it, but it turns out it actually drew that past closer as Fate surprisingly called me up.

For that reason, I have to leave the team for a while, knowing how dangerous Fate can be. I do not want my team to be involved, or worse, get hurt because of me. I won't forgive myself if that happens.

And now, there is another pressing issue...

...who the hell is "Rouge"? Why does he keep referring himself as a shadow? There is something sinister behind that red race suit and helmet, for sure.

Time: 3 pm, a week later

It's a perfectly sunny afternoon, and a surprise guest arrives at Yuki's home, none other than his father figure Tatsuru Ichishima of Spoon Sports.

Yuki himself was surprised at his arrival, hence he has no time to organize some bits of his home.

Yuki: "Sorry if this house is quite messy right now."

Tatsuru: "Don't bother. I should have informed you of my visit last night."

Yuki: "How you've been?"

Tatsuru: "I'm working on a new project, based on the S660 Kei car. How about you? Seems that your back pay is quite large, judging by the home you keep right now."

Yuki: "It's quite sudden, but I have to devote more time for the team, if we are to be successful in the local circuit races."

Tatsuru: "Hmph. I see. Because of that, you should hone your skills even further, you know?"

Yuki: "I am. There have been meaningful experiences."

Tatsuru: "Then how is it that your CR-Z's downhill time was beaten?"

Yuki gasps. Clearly his pride as the reigning touge racer got offended.

Yuki: "Beaten?"

Tatsuru: "That's right. Someone in a silver Mazda NC Roadster smoked your record. That's not you at all."

Yuki: "It could be one of my teammates."

Tatsuru: "The locals tell a different story. He's a foreigner. And as far as we all know, your foreign colleagues are in Europe right now, am I right?"

Yuki: "Foreigner, huh? He must have learned the course overnight."

Tatsuru: "What would you do then, Yuki?"

Time: 7 am, the next day

This feels good... getting better with each passing day.

19398293263_759d637797_c.jpg

I salute to the previous owner who did the modifications. You can no longer say it's a hairdresser's car anymore.

19398291863_b45d9892e8_c.jpg

Japan has an odd policy of requiring someone to have a parking space first before buying a car. Makes sense, actually. Toru has found me a small house that perfectly fits my car inside, so it's not a problem. For days, I have been running on this same mountain pass. Winding roads truly give pleasure to the discerning enthusiast.

19992995736_c341fc9883_c.jpg

This moment...

...reminded me of my beginnings. How I got the Zephyr title? You'll know it shortly.

20019250305_ac8288b140_c.jpg

Stopping this car is no effort at all, despite the steep incline on downhill.

19831162678_7909cdb46f_c.jpg

Maybe I can race with some locals here. Hmmmm.... at least it would provide some fun while I'm hiding.

Now where were we? Ah! Time to start the tale of my origins. You earned it, so grab a chair.

It all started... with a yellow Corvette.

19832598709_89df9f187b_c.jpg

19992976346_831413b9d0_c.jpg

No wait... I gotta organize my thoughts. I'm bad at this, seriously.

The prelude would be my life in Quebec, Canada which is the place that started it all. Don't worry, that yellow Corvette is still in it.

End of Page 4

Page 5: Beginnings (Part II)

Now where will I start? Ah! It's quite a sad one... the one that forced me to an exodus. One event changed my life forever...

I was just 22 back then, and I was working as a simple sales clerk in a supermarket. I had to be physically strong in order for me to carry some heavy items for stocking. You know the drill...

First of all, I was only a high school graduate. My father encouraged me to work because he cannot afford to send me to a university. That's fine with me, as I do not want adding burden to the people I care about. I make it a point to myself that my burden will only be mine. No one else deserves it.

I grew up in a simple household. My mother died after giving birth to me. Since then, my father took it upon himself to raise me the best way he could - and it showed. He provided everything I needed, despite the limited income. He also took me to trips around the country, including watching one race at the 24 Hours of Le Mans which he saved up for. I could proudly say that he's the best father a man could have.

Then one day, however...

...I got a call while I was at work. Usually, I keep my phone in silent, but on that day I forgot to. It was my uncle Ansell who happened to be from Quebec, Canada just having a holiday in France.

Ansell: "Louis! You've got to come here to the hospital! Your father had a heart attack!"

Heart attack?! That was just one among the most shocking revelations I've ever head of, knowing very well my father watches his health seriously.

Naturally, I had to cut my work short and rushed to the hospital using only public transport. We never had hoped of buying a car either.

As I get in the hospital, I frantically asked the concierge where my father is confined. The response was immediate, so off to the room I go.

Hang in there...

Just hang in there...

I cannot afford to live without you, père... We have dreams to fulfill.

But... everything we've worked hard for shattered... it was all too late. All I could ever do is shake him in the hopes a miracle would happen.

Louis: "Père! Père! Père!"

I can't believe it... he's gone. What will I do? How could it be possible to achieve the things he had hoped for? I can only cry in despair. My uncle only pulled me up, and look at me in the eye.

Ansell: "I'm sorry... I know this is too hard for you. But... for your father's sake, come with me. Live with me and your aunt in Quebec. We'll even send you to a university."

It's an offer too good to pass up. But...

Louis: "But..."

Ansell: "You don't even have to work there. With a university degree, you'll have a much better future like your father dreamed of."

Goodbye, father. Why do you have to leave me this way? We have so much things that have yet to be done together! However, with uncle Ansell's offer, it's now the only way for it to be possible.

Uncle Ansell is truly a fortunate person. He lives a luxurious life in Quebec. He, too, started off there with little money and worked hard to achieve what he has now. This is the point of my life that there was a shift. Everything would change from this moment on...

...but the payment would be my father's life. It... hurts. It's more painful than losing all of your money in the bank.

A month has passed after I buried my beloved father. It hurts so much seeing the person who truly loved you being buried and can now only be tombstone. But I have no choice but to look forward. I have to move on.

Uncle and I flew to Quebec. I got to know his wife, Aunt Madelle. The couple welcomed me and showed me the room specifically prepared for me.

And then... university life began. They paid everything, including my school supplies. To think, my father and I used to save up for some time for those, even during my high school days.

Plus, adjusting wasn't hard at all since Quebec is dominated by French-speaking citizens and pretty much the establishment names, road signs, and regulations are in French.

So, I'm totally settled! Life will be easier from this point on...

I made friends while I was in the university. I took up engineering, since I have fondness on how things work. I have the way with numbers as well, but I was no overachiever either in high school. I just study hard so that I can help my father. But now that he's gone, and basically carrying on his dreams, I simply could not afford to slack off.

One day, another life-changing encounter took place... as I met someone who is into cars. He's none other than Pierre Lago. He is half-French, but sadly he struggles to understand the language. Professors even speak little of English in the university, and only a handful are fluent with it. So he's mostly unlucky when we are in major subject classes wherein the profs strictly speak French.

So I help him out, under the professor's request, and since then we're the closest of friends.

And one day... that was a weekend, by the way.

Pierre: "Hey Louis! Wanna go for a ride? Let's go to Redview County!"

Redview County... the place which will stick to my memory forever. Who would have thought?

Louis: "Ummmm... sure. There's no exams next week, so... yeah. Let's go."

Pierre: "Wow. You sound excited."

Louis: "We all have to loosen up every once in a while, right? Life is not all about books and numbers."

And so he shows off his ride - a yellow Chevrolet Corvette C3. He seems to have a knack for flashy cars.

louisbegin.jpg

louisbegin_1.jpg

Pierre: "Gotta love these Torq Thrust wheels. Best decision I made."

Louis: "Did you modify it?"

Pierre: "425 horsepower with a Hurst 5-speed shifter. Kills rice burners in an instant."

Nice claim. Car modifications are a trend for owners nowadays. They simply want their steeds to stand out from the rest.

And so we head out. Never realized that Redview is very near at all. Pierre told me that there is a street race going on, and decided to join.

louisbegin_2.jpg

He buried the throttle ever so deep. I can feel the torque rushing through. Yeah, V8 engines are known to have a high torque characteristic which makes you feel that the car has power indeed.

louisbegin_3.jpg

Not even a modern C5 Corvette stood a chance.

Pierre: "Redview is where the action is! If you really do want to cool off, then this place is perfect!"

That feeling of your head being pushed back... it's getting repetitive each time he stomps on the accelerator.

Actually, I felt excited... more so than ever before. Who would have thought it would be this exhilarating? This is even scarier than a roller-coaster ride.

louisbegin_4.jpg

louisbegin_5.jpg

Approaching the next turn, he stepped on the brakes hard, and that swung the car's back end.

louisbegin_6.jpg

He's really finding the joy in here, huh? Men like us love putting our lives at risk.

louisbegin_7.jpg

He easily dominated the competition. So 425 horsepower is not for show at all.

Louis: "How long have you been doing this?"

Pierre: "A year. And a rap sheet from the cops. But they couldn't catch a cold."

louisbegin_8.jpg

Pierre: "Seriously though, nothing should hold you back either. Find your own happiness. That happiness is the only thing you'll ever hold on to. And make sure you have a very tight grasp on it."

He's right. Even my father once told me that happiness is already what makes a person complete. Happiness of fulfilling one's dream. Even smiling is already a form of happiness. Happy...

...I guess I need it after all. I gotta shake off the shackles of mourning and death, and start to smile once again. I gotta be happy, for my father's sake.

louisbegin_9.jpg

Stay tuned for the next part. That one will be my first ever taste of victory...

Time: 6 pm, the next day

Meanwhile, while Baptiste is close to being fully recovered and still is being tended by his sister, he gets another guest...

...none other by Conrad Banks of MI6, along with some armed men.

Baptiste: "What is this?"

Baptiste's sister: "Oh, I forgot to tell you that Mr. Conrad from MI6 will see you today. He wants to speak to you."

Conrad: "Don't be too alarmed seeing my armed men. We assure you of our protection. Your sister overheard your conversation with "Rouge", hence she secretly asked help from the authorities until it escalated to us since we're also handling his case."

Baptiste: "Perfect. That traitor needs to learn his lesson. Do whatever you want with him. I don't care what will happen. He abandoned me, hence I'll abandon him too."

Conrad: "So let's start. You said that you found him naked, while you're having a picnic in a forest in France months ago."

Baptiste: "Yes. But I was quite surprised he turned out to be alive. As you see..."

Moments passed by, and the trees outside wave by the short gust of wind. What follows next is a gasp from Conrad's face, something of a very rare instance coming from a man known for his composure.

Baptiste: "...and there you have it. In exchange for my freedom, now you know everything about him and his connection to Fate as well. Good luck with the investigation, because I think those two should not get away. Let the justice be served."

End of Page 5

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Whoops! I don't want to reveal it to you just yet! Do not worry, you'll know it the same time Louis will get to see Rouge's face. :sly:

- And have you noticed some similarities of Louis' backstory to Michiharu's beginnings? What only sets them apart is the fact that Michiharu left his unloving parents. The rest? Both of them are having a huge shift in their lives after their exodus.

Kakashi, you spoilsport, talk about leaving the story in one huge cliffhanger. Looks like you don't want to spill the beans just yet, do you? :sly:

Also, that yellow car (to avoid spoiling the story) sure can kill rice burners, eh? Not bad for an old hat.

Page 6: Graduation Gift

Time: 8 am, the next day

Yawwwwnnnnn... oh wait... I gotta take out the trash. For a home this small, you are easily obliged to.

The day started out nice as usual. Surprisingly, the neighbors guided me (in very little English) as to when the garbage is being collected in the neighborhood.

Suddenly, a familiar face passes by. Isn't that Takanori of the Dream Alliance? He wears a corporate attire, typical to any employee going to their place of work.

He noticed me, and his shocked reaction came up next.

Takanori: "Louis-san?"

Louis: "Takanori, am I right?"

Takanori: "Oh! It's so nice to see you here! But... ummm... judging on how you look... you live here?"

Louis: "Yes, but it's only temporary. How about you? You're off to work?"

Takanori: "Yes. I work in that building over there, just a block away from here."

Louis: "I see."

Takanori: "But why are you settling here, if I may ask?"

Louis: "It's a long story."

Takanori: "Ah okay. But hey, feel free to come by the office any time! And hey, maybe you can be our guest on the next episode!"

Too bad I have to pass on that. I need to go under the radar, you know?

Louis: "Sorry... I think I'll decline. But I'll try visiting you guys."

Takanori: "Awwwwww.... but I understand. Well, time to go! Can't afford to be late! See ya!"

Takanori reminds me of Pierre... clueless but cheerful. Truly a friend that can brighten your day.

Now, where were we in my story? Let's continue...

Two years have passed since I've settled in Quebec. I've divided my time between racing and university studies. In effect, I became sleepless, but all were worth it.

Pierre and I are racing in Redview County whenever we're free. We're a tag team, and we've even opened a bank account for our winnings from our wagers.

But then... graduation day. I received something unexpected from Uncle...

...a Jaguar XKR-S.

graduation.jpg

What you're seeing is the one after the modifications I've done on my own. I've majored in Automotive Engineering, you know? I didn't tinker it much, though. It's all for purpose.

For one, it only has about 600 horsepower after remapping the ECU. I still want it to be driveable at the end of the day.

graduation_1.jpg

Pierre's reaction was priceless. This ain't a supercar, you know?

Pierre: "A supercharged Jaaaaaaaaag..."

Louis: "What?"

Pierre: "Hey, why don't we use this instead? I was about to spend our winnings on a new car, but then this arrived. And the Corvette has attracted too much heat from the cops for the past two years."

Louis: "I'm fine with this. We still have to save up."

Pierre: "Your car, your decision. All right, it's settled!"

It's time for the proper shakedown. And so we head to our playground that is called Redview County.

We immediately engaged ourselves in the first race we saw. They clearly don't know who's piloting this...

...Jaaaaaaag.

graduation_2.jpg

I was doing all the driving ever since, since Pierre was impressed of my driving ability. Aggression is the name of the game here, especially when the cops join the party.

graduation_3.jpg

graduation_4.jpg

Perhaps that was too easy. But hey, a shakedown is still a shakedown no matter what.

Pierre: "Way faster than the 'Vette."

Louis: "A new car would be good for a change."

Pierre: "Hey. No matter what happens, we're partners."

Louis: "Why say that just now? We've been into this for two years, you know?"

Pierre: "Because of course, cops have gotten tougher. We always have to fight. Street racers now take up arms and retaliate. It's our duty to join."

Turns out that what he said was a premonition of the darker events to come. And...

...those were the last words I've ever heard from him.

Time: 12 am

Meanwhile, in a hideout somewhere in France, Fate is simply watching the news and clenches his fist upon knowing he's wanted once again. Rouge is also aware of it, but shows little reaction as he just stands behind.

Fate: "It's time to correct the mistake. Do you even know where Louis is? I thought you are his shadow?"

Rouge: "It's tough being a shadow, old man. I can't just follow him without him knowing."

Fate: "He's in Japan. He won a race there last week and you didn't know? It's a simple task of tracking down his phone number.

Nevertheless, bring him here. Go to Japan and drag him all the way here if you have to."

Rouge: "Hehehehehehe.... don't give orders like that. I'm not your pawn, remember that. I'll do it my way."

Fate: "All I want in the end is I get to square off against him. The coup de grace is mine."

Rouge: "Rest assured, that will happen. But... let me have my fun first."

Fate: "Hmph!"

Rouge exits the hideout, with his own plans now set in motion.

Rouge: "Just you wait, Louis... this helmet's going to come off once we meet again. Though why Japan out of all places? You're weird..."

End of Page 6

Page 7: The Darkness

I just can't tell it to you right now, folks. I just can't...

The next part of my dark story will be even darker as I narrate it. I need to take a deep breath and clear my mind.

After my afternoon nap, I headed up to the hills. Driving is truly one way of forgetting everything. Japan's mountain roads help a lot for that.

yukimeet.jpg

Sorry, it would seem that the next part would be reserved for the upcoming page. Do not worry, once my mind is made up, I'll wholeheartedly tell the tale, even if it hurts my heart...

yukimeet_1.jpg

Oh, I can feel the turbo torque pushing this car uphill. But its blow-off sound is simply addicting, blasting to your ears like a jet of water pouring to your ear... something like that.

yukimeet_2.jpg

MX-5s are beasts on the mountains after all. They're agile, and handle much better than those Renault Sport hatchbacks back home.

Entering the downhill section, it's controllable and doesn't wiggle around on braking.

yukimeet_3.jpg

Hmmmmm.... suddenly I am craving for coffee.

yukimeet_4.jpg

Oh look, there's a small cafe nearby. Time to stop over.

It seems that it's a favorite hang out for street racers, as I see another souped-up hatchback.

yukimeet_5.jpg

It looks serious this time. The rollcage signifies intention to race, so the wide body kit isn't just for show.

Suddenly, a young man approaches me. His demeanor is similar to Toru's. Perhaps they're too sensitive when it comes to looking at others' cars...

Yuki: "Looks like my car has gotten too much attention, huh? I saw you coming out of that silver Roadster."

Louis: "You bring that to the race track too?"

Yuki: "Rarely, but this CR-Z is meant to be the fastest on the downhill... until you came along."

Huh? I don't get it. This is the first time I've encountered your car, young man.

Louis: "What did I do? I have yet to race against a local here."

Yuki: "You will... right now."

A challenge, with an intimidating tone. I only gave a smile as a reaction.

Louis: "All right then. I could use some fun."

That response is akin to a more mature individual. He talks more for his age. But... that kind of intimidation reminded me of something...

...no... they're still creeping in. That young man reminded me...

yukimeet_6.jpg

yukimeet_7.jpg

...my ruthless days as Zephyr. No use keeping it to you guys.

In the next part, you shall finally know how I got that name that is forever etched in my heart, the moments that pushed me to that ruthlessness, and instigated an all-out war against the Redview County Police Department. All those tales will be told, while racing with that intimidating young man.

End of Page 7

- Yuki, make sure you won't reawaken the "Zephyr" within Louis. Or else... :scared:

Back