• 60 comments

Aquarelle

Pick up the pace, let’s go!
Premium
Australia
Brisbane
Uriehusky
Uriehusky
Due to this topic consistently coming up in other threads and often derailing them, I've decided to create a thread dedicated to the topic.

The topic I'd like to discuss is Tandem Drift, as the title implies.

8400745359_1d8d7d7f7a_z.jpg

Image depicts Blitzu & GreazyTee and is courteous of the lovely and beautiful Blitz

This is everything from what we think is acceptable behaviour while drifting around others to how you can improve your experience in the world of Tandem Drifting and how to make it more pleasurable for those around you.
We all have varying opinions on what we should and shouldn't do so it should make for an interesting discussion and hopefully an interesting read.

Just a reminder before we begin of the AUP, keep the discussion civil and friendly as you should in any part of the forum.

I will update the OP over time as people provide gems of advice for new comers and people who are interested in starting tandem drifting but are scared or put off by the idea of drifting near others.

Last edited:
twindrift1.jpg

This is okay. Although the chaser, is a bit off the line, if it was a 3 way tandem.

7186418225_ca9bd22c3f_b.jpg

This, in a tandem, is completely wrong. In 2 way tandems, it's possible to correct and make it fit again, but I see people doing this stuff with cars behind them...

Always remember, try to stay on the line of the leader. Where his rear tires are, so should yours be. If you crawl inside to much, people behind you will get in trouble. And it looks horrific.

zva99c.jpg

The line of the FD is pretty much perfect. Distance is really good as well.

Last edited:
Nice work Urie, way to step up and get this rolling 👍

I think pictures are a great idea...but I think the focus of the pictures, and the discussion of said pictures, should revolve around the actual tandem action, and not so much on the photographic qualities (of course, artistic liberties are always encouraged!). And instead of people posting sets that contain individual shots of separate tandems, perhaps sets could follow a tandem or train through one specific corner or section? Just some more ideas:) Hopefully with time, this can become a mainstay on the drift forums like SYDC.

Pictures if used as a visual aid are encouraged. However I'd like to remind everybody that this isn't a thread for showing off your "mad tandem skillz" or photography ability 👍

The best place to view and share such content would be in the SYDC thread

Pictures if used as a visual aid are encouraged. However I'd like to remind everybody that this isn't a thread for showing off your "mad tandem skillz" or photography ability 👍

The best place to view and share such content would be in the SYDC thread

Agreed, photos shouldn't be of the "look what I can do" nature.

Yeah, I was using them as help for explaining. Im looking for pics from above... Like the old GTA games you know? :)

Oh I know that's what you meant 👍 it's just to avoid misunderstandings

There are no dangers to close tandems as long as each driver is capable of handling leading or following.

All these are pictures showing that close is not dangerous as long as the follow car knows the other person's style and as long as the lead is consistent. Never be afraid to push the boundaries, after all it is a game so accidents can't be taken too personally.

Last edited:
There are no dangers to close tandems as long as each driver is capable of handling leading or following.

All these are pictures showing that close is not dangerous as long as the follow car knows the other person's style and as long as the lead is consistent. Never be afraid to push the boundaries, after all it is a game so accidents can't be taken too personally.

This.

Think what you want, make fun of it as much as you like, but in the end I won't change my preference. Your loss, simply put.

There's no fun being made. I don't see how your opinion is everyone's loss, what is there to lose? It's a game, ride that ass and have fun.

Theres no dangers to close tandems in GT5 at all, even if you crash.
When uncle Willy kicks down your door and points his shotty at you... Then your in danger.

There's no fun being made. I don't see how your opinion is everyone's loss, what is there to lose? It's a game, ride that ass and have fun.

I don't think it's 'fun' when a person is that close... Take 4 to 5 inches more distance, and the tandems increase so much in the elegance, and flowing through corners...

:lol: She knows best what is best for everyone, that is why we lose.

I know what's best for me, and I have actually got a bit of drift experience, which can't be said for... you.

Theres no dangers to close tandems in GT5 at all, even if you crash.
When uncle Willy kicks down your door and points his shotty at you... Then your in danger.

Well, stick to that opinion as long as you want, I don't care. But I won't tandem with you, as long as that's your opinion. That's my opinion, you see?

I don't think it's 'fun' when a person is that close... Take 4 to 5 inches more distance, and the tandems increase so much in the elegance, and flowing through corners...

I know what's best for me, and I have actually got a bit of drift experience, which can't be said for... you.

Well, stick to that opinion as long as you want, I don't care. But I won't tandem with you, as long as that's your opinion. That's my opinion, you see?

some people can't handle the pressure. Because you have "actual drift experience" doesn't say anything really. No one is really losing out by not taking your advice. Like i said before, you're handicapping yourself because of your stubbornness. Even with the LSD discussion it was just your preference. I can provide proof that not all pros use fully locked diffs. But again, open your mind a little more and you will begin to have more fun on gt5.

some people can't handle the pressure. Because you have "actual drift experience" doesn't say anything really. No one is really losing out by not taking your advice. Like i said before, you're handicapping yourself because of your stubbornness. Even with the LSD discussion it was just your preference. I can provide proof that not all pros use fully locked diffs. But again, open your mind a little more and you will begin to have more fun on gt5.

Frankly, you seem to disregard your own advice... I think that this is the best way, you don't. What's not to get about that?

And no, it's not about the pressure. Frankly, I think there is more pressure on the chaser really.

Tandem pictures need to be close to look good nobody wants to see a 3m gap.

BTW

You wanna compare yourself to those guys? Go ahead... But than I wonder why people call me the 'elitist', considering I know exactly what level of drifting I'm on...

Besides, this is ONE corner, a corner they have practiced so often that they could probably tell you where every single pebble lies... So can we, in GT5. But they won't link whole Ebisu with that distance between their cars.

Frankly, you seem to disregard your own advice... I think that this is the best way, you don't. What's not to get about that?

And no, it's not about the pressure. Frankly, I think there is more pressure on the chaser really.

You wanna compare yourself to those guys? Go ahead... But than I wonder why people call me the 'elitist', considering I know exactly what level of drifting I'm on...

Besides, this is ONE corner, a corner they have practiced so often that they could probably tell you where every single pebble lies... So can we, in GT5. But they won't link whole Ebisu with that distance between their cars.

and we don't do the same in gt5. We try but can't always be on someone's door. But in terms of the level of drifting you say you're on, would you say that the people on a higher level get closer?

Duh herro Miki,

images_zpsfbcdcd5e.jpg

lol just have fun out there and drift :D :cheers:

Last edited:
and we don't do the same in gt5. We try but can't always be on someone's door. But in terms of the level of drifting you say you're on, would you say that the people on a higher level get closer?

Not really. They an just stay that close for a longer period of time. After transitions, difficult links etc. Getting close isn't hard...

Duh herro Miki,
lol just have fun out there and drift :D :cheers:

Yeah, sure... I will, as long as you guys stop acting like 13 year olds and actually respect someone else's opinion. I'm not saying you guys should change stuff. Just saying I won't.

Not Fun?

Just stop.

Stop with what? Saying what I think? It's my opinion, learn to live with it. It won't change, no matter what you say.

Neither mine nor anyone else. Your point in evaluating your opinion when everyone already disagrees? None.

I'll be on later today my people, have fun! :)

Just because there's no risk of injury or car damage in a video game, doesn't mean you should be stupid and careless.

Following at a safe distance allows for three things, one; It's appealing to the eye rather than just a shock factor of "Wow look how close they are!" (Which is somewhat diminished by the fact that there's no risks involved) two; It makes drift trains a more flowing experience. Three; It results in less accidents, there's nothing fun about being spun out by somebody :lol:

Obviously I'm not saying somebody is going to maul you for tapping them, but it's not a pleasurable experience to be bashed around the track. At least to me, maybe you feel differently.

In short: I think a safe following distance and a calm, synchronised line with the lead car makes it overall more enjoyable.

I'll also take this time to remind people of what an OPINION is.
Oxford
noun
A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:
"that, in my opinion, is right"
This thread is to accumulate the communities opinion on tandem drifting, not to attack people for expressing it.

Last edited:
Every thread that Gonales says her opinions gets carried away, which is a sad thing... Maybe if she doesn't try to argue when someone disagrees, these things wouldn't happen.

Guys, just let it go... Including you Gonales, who clains to post for the good of the community. If people like what you dislike... Let them! Will not be you or anyone else who will change their minds... :-/

You can never be to close. I have been to the point where my wheels touch someone's door, I am pretty sure if I can do that then the examples above are fine. I myself try and get close as possible depending on who I'm following. If I do a couple runs with them and I find there line then game on, they better watch there door because a black z4 will be scraping it. Surly it is a lot easier to make mistakes when you are that close but it adds to the excitement. In the heat of the battle at VDC preseason I was mega close to Guaz's door and I made the simple mistake of letting of the brake to much which caused him to tap the wall. Did either of us complain or feel bad? No because it was such an epic battle and it was closer than most people can get. I could have won or lost that battle and felt no different. So in my opinion go scrape some doors.

Tandem drifting looks great when it is close, so I get that, but door to door, much like reverse entries, and refusal to use the ebrake, falls under the category of impractical amongst the average drifters' skillset..I think this love for door to door drifting is a consequence of video game drifting; no consequences, that is a tap from a tandem partner on GT5 means nothing, that same "tap" in real life equals hours of bodywork and possible need to re-align the vehicle..
Along with these door to door pics i'd like to see some pics during the transition, or else they come off as cheaply as some of the "wall tap" pics, you know the ones where about 90% would be showing a devestating collision were the picture taken a fraction of a second later.

I don't think Eddy, nor the vast majority of us here on GTP, compare ourselves to the guys in that vid. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with any or all of us aspiring to be like those guys...and that goes for both drifting in real life and in GT5. Aspiring to be elite does not make a person elitist.

I think you're being quite short sited and narrow minded here.

Let's think of the biggest limiting factor Team BURST, along with other elite level drifters, face. $$$ Money $$$. The biggest problem they face is keeping those cars running. I can't imagine how often they go through major components on those cars, and what the cost of keeping those things running with the punishment they go through is. I also imagine that the man-hours of maintenance on them is extremely high...and these guys don't have a massive crew of engineers behind them, they do most of the wrench spinning themselves.

The point I am getting at is this - if a group of drifters like BURST were given the resources of, oh lets say, Michael Schumacher at Ferrari, I truly believe that their drifting would be on a level that we can't really imagine today. If these guys had infinitely deep pockets, and could drift with no regard for the longevity of their car (because they have a truck full of spare cars sitting beside the track waiting their turn), l think they could quite easily work towards linking all of Ebisu with a 5+ car train, inches from each other's doors at all times, along with many other unimaginable feets.

With GT5, we have that ability to throw the money and repair-time aspects out the window!!! Don't get me wrong, there are huge merits to the points you are making. Multiple cars drifting a section or track with perfectly matched angles and synchronized transitions (even if the proximity is not as absolutely close as possible) is truly a thing of beauty. I went through a phase in my drifting where all I wanted to focus on as a chaser was getting as close as possible. I'm now trying to take a more balanced, well rounded, approach to chasing. I have found that backing off just a little bit more at the right times makes a huge difference in overall consistency.

But would you not agree, that under absolutely ideal circumstances, the perfect tandem or train would combine all three elements...perfectly matched angle, perfectly synchronized transitions, along with the tightest proximity possible? At least that's my ideal tandem/train.

The only way to aspire that level perfection is to try...and practice practice practice...and crash...lots of crashing :lol:

Tandem drifting looks great when it is close, so I get that, but door to door, much like reverse entries, and refusal to use the ebrake, falls under the category of impractical amongst the average drifters' skillset..I think this love for door to door drifting is a consequence of video game drifting; no consequences, that is a tap from a tandem partner on GT5 means nothing, that same "tap" in real life equals hours of bodywork and possible need to re-align the vehicle..
Along with these door to door pics i'd like to see some pics during the transition, or else they come off as cheaply as some of the "wall tap" pics, you know the ones where about 90% would be showing a devestating collision were the picture taken a fraction of a second later.

I can only speak for myself in regard to you comments about people "faking" the action in photos, but with GT5, I take both approaches to photographing drifting. It depends the objective of a certain set of pics which approach I take.

If I am covering a drifting event, such as Night Slide, Matsuri, etc., I always try my best to make the pictures as authentic as possible...this applies to both door-to-door, and wall-taps.

If the aim of my photography is more artistic in nature, I may sometimes "fake" the action in the photo for overall sake of the photo....but I only resort to this after giving a genuine effort to capture the action legitimately.

But like I said, I can only speak for myself :)

Edit: Oops, got a little carried away there, and forgot the whole reason I was going to post haha.
7186418225_ca9bd22c3f_b.jpg

This, in a tandem, is completely wrong. In 2 way tandems, it's possible to correct and make it fit again, but I see people doing this stuff with cars behind them...

Always remember, try to stay on the line of the leader. Where his rear tires are, so should yours be. If you crawl inside to much, people behind you will get in trouble. And it looks horrific.

I know exactly the point you are getting at with this photo, and agree it looks quite bad. When I am chasing, I find that this happens to me more often than I would like it to (ideally never).

What are peoples's opinions as to what are the leading causes of the chase car ending up in this position. What are things that can be done, or watched for, to prevent this from happening? And what can be done to help correct the situation, and possibly save the tandem and/or train?

Last edited:
What are peoples's opinions as to what are the leading causes of the chase car ending up in this position. What are things that can be done, or watched for, to prevent this from happening? And what can be done to help correct the situation, and possibly save the tandem and/or train?

Situations like that can be caused by a few different reasons. While hard to see from that picture it seems like the cause for that was the lead driver was off line (given proximity to that ripple strip) and the chase driver wanted to stay on the line which is obviously a shorter line pulling his car up to that position while the lead car slides further and further off either because of too much speed or a mistake.

Having the lead driver go off of the line like that can lead to it happening a lot if the chase driver chooses not to adapt to it. The best way I've found to prevent it from happening is to ignore the track and line a little bit more than what you would normally and instead go with the flow of the lead driver, putting trust in the way they're driving and just push your nose to thier door all the time. This way no matter what line the lead driver takes you will follow it so if he does go off line it won't matter, you will keep things smooth and flowing nicely and won't need to do any major recoveries.

Another thing that can also cause it is when you're doing a part of a track where you link multiple corners together (Suzuka's S Curves for example) and the chase driver transitions before the lead driver, the chase driver will push into the corner before the lead driver, making the lead driver push out a bit more while the chase car ends up back in that position you don't want it to be in. Best way to overcome this is just watch the lead driver for his transition points and again adapt to them, trying not to do it too quickly. (Not sure if a DS3 driver chasing a wheel driver will cause this to happen a lot or not).

Back