Tandem Drifting

• Thread starter Aquarelle
  • 60 comments
Situations like that can be caused by a few different reasons. While hard to see from that picture it seems like the cause for that was the lead driver was off line (given proximity to that ripple strip) and the chase driver wanted to stay on the line which is obviously a shorter line pulling his car up to that position while the lead car slides further and further off either because of too much speed or a mistake.
Having the lead driver go off of the line like that can lead to it happening a lot if the chase driver chooses not to adapt to it. The best way I've found to prevent it from happening is to ignore the track and line a little bit more than what you would normally and instead go with the flow of the lead driver, putting trust in the way they're driving and just push your nose to thier door all the time. This way no matter what line the lead driver takes you will follow it so if he does go off line it won't matter, you will keep things smooth and flowing nicely and won't need to do any major recoveries.

Yes, this is exactly the point of chasing. Nice write-up.

Another thing that can also cause it is when you're doing a part of a track where you link multiple corners together (Suzuka's S Curves for example) and the chase driver transitions before the lead driver, the chase driver will push into the corner before the lead driver, making the lead driver push out a bit more while the chase car ends up back in that position you don't want it to be in. Best way to overcome this is just watch the lead driver for his transition points and again adapt to them, trying not to do it too quickly. (Not sure if a DS3 driver chasing a wheel driver will cause this to happen a lot or not).

It won't happen any more than 2 people on wheels. It's all in looking forward to what the lead car will do, and not just drift the way you think is best.

I have found that when the lead car is IN the transition, and nearly 'straight' compared to the corners, to make the chase transition. This allows me the time and space (because I keep a bit of space between me and leader), to adapt to almost anything.

UrieHusky
Just because there's no risk of injury or car damage in a video game, doesn't mean you should be stupid and careless.

Following at a safe distance allows for three things, one; It's appealing to the eye rather than just a shock factor of "Wow look how close they are!" (Which is somewhat diminished by the fact that there's no risks involved) two; It makes drift trains a more flowing experience. Three; It results in less accidents, there's nothing fun about being spun out by somebody :lol:

Obviously I'm not saying somebody is going to maul you for tapping them, but it's not a pleasurable experience to be bashed around the track. At least to me, maybe you feel differently.

In short: I think a safe following distance and a calm, synchronised line with the lead car makes it overall more enjoyable.

I'll also take this time to remind people of what an OPINION is.

This thread is to accumulate the communities opinion on tandem drifting, not to attack people for expressing it.

Totally agree but getting bashed around a little bit not my type. Its hard drifting with wheel because I have it on bonnet view and it restricts my view which makes it hard to see what the lead car is doing .

Totally agree but getting bashed around a little bit not my type. Its hard drifting with wheel because I have it on bonnet view and it restricts my view which makes it hard to see what the lead car is doing .

I'd advise that you give interior view a go, it's not for everybody but I personally have better depth and spacial awareness while using this view and I'll often pick and choose my cars for mirror placement 👍

Also your map is your friend.

(I'm on a wheel too)

Last edited:

I use a DS3 for GT5, but I too use bonnet view. I'm surprised you find that bonnet view restricts your view the most...I feel bonnet view gives me the widest view of my surroundings. I prefer this view, because it lets me see the front corners of my car, which I find really helps in tandeming.

I also prefer the "on/off" function of bonnet viewwhen looking sideways, as opposed to the panning functions of bumper and interior views. I find I get "lost" when trying to look sideways with the panning modes.

And I kinda can't stand drifting with interior view, due to the ultra simplistic steering and shifting animations, and complete lack of a handbrake animation :(

Bonnet view restricts your view, agreed. But not so much that it is a real issue. Not if you tandem correctly anyway.

I'd advise that you give interior view a go, it's not for everybody but I personally have better depth and spacial awareness while using this view and I'll often pick and choose my cars for mirror placement 👍

I use a Hood view on a wheel. Plus, I use a full track map. And it works for me, really.

Bonnet view restricts your view, agreed. But not so much that it is a real issue. Not if you tandem correctly anyway.

I use a Hood view on a wheel. Plus, I use a full track map. And it works for me, really.

I personally use scale four, it allows me to keep an eye on my blind spots accurately while still being able to see upcoming hazards.
As for hood cam I really can't use it, can't explain why it just feels wrong to me

TwistyDrift

Try just keeping your eye on the front fender. I am able to tandem closer just by looking at that and nothing else (tunnel vision hahahahahahaha)

Try just keeping your eye on the front fender. I am able to tandem closer just by looking at that and nothing else (tunnel vision hahahahahahaha)

yep... don't get your door directly on his try to keep your corners on his door... that way he or she always there.

I use the view behind the car... because i can see even who is a bit behind me... lol I can follow people real close because i used to practice tailgating while racing... so... good reflexes i do have. lol

Helps in tandem when you are following (which i prefer to do so).

Tandem drift...
I want to see your car as Close as possible to mine Even Little love Taps Are good!! Even better when you hold it after the tap :-)
Rear view if im chasing and I will get VERY Close!! But and this is a Big but you need to know the person your tandem with, as it makes it such a sweet experience when you know there always going to hit clipping points.. After 2+ years my favourite tandem artists Are k1ngklick r.i.p and decoy although he has found more angle which has pi;#ed me off and silharry japanese guy smooth as silk in a chaser.

(I'm on a wheel too)

I gave interior a go a long time ago but the bonnet view is still better in my opinion. Just feels weird when drifting like for example when I'm doing a tandem and drifting around a corner (Right corner) when I look left it looks weird lol but the looking to the right is alright. and sometimes when I play for 2 hours (interior camera) I get really dizzy.

bonnet view gives me the widest view of my surroundings. I prefer this view, because it lets me see the front corners of my car, which I find really helps in tandeming

But when using the bumper view you can easily see how close you are to the lead car better 👍

I also prefer the "on/off" function of bonnet viewwhen looking sideways, as opposed to the panning functions of bumper and interior views. I find I get "lost" when trying to look sideways with the panning modes.

What's the "on/off function bonnet"? I never heard of it before.

I guess I'll try using the full track map and try get use to it.

I personally use scale four, it allows me to keep an eye on my blind spots accurately while still being able to see upcoming hazards.
As for hood cam I really can't use it, can't explain why it just feels wrong to me

I reckon because it's hard to convert to another camera view. When I tried using the bumper view I struggled but with bonnet view I look more pro'ish.

Hehe, I try to keep my eye at the whole track while keeping an eye on the lead car.

What's the "on/off function bonnet"? I never heard of it before.

Lol my bad...not a very good explanation. I'm talking about the way the camera-view behaves when you look sideways. My buttons are set up so I use R2/L2 for Gas/Brake, and the right analog stick to look sideways. I think a lot of DS3 users use the right analog stick to look sideways; except for those who use it for Gas/Brake. I've gotten pretty used to taking very quick sideways glances, both when chasing and leading. On longer corners, I sometimes practice looking sideways for longer periods. A couple of times, I've been able to look sideways pretty much all the way through the last tunnel at GVS while right on someone's door. I think it's a cool feeling, driving while looking sideways...challenging too.

When you are in either bumper or interior view, you can actively control the degree at which you look sideways with the right analog stick. This is very pretty and all, but in the heat of a tandem, I find it too finicky. Also, because any movement of the right analog stick causes the camera to move, I have a much more difficult time sensing the movement of the car.

In bonnet view, the right analog stick acts like an "on/off" switch when looking sideways. It doesn't matter if you push the stick a little, or all the way, the camera-view always looks as far left or right as possible, and in the exact same spot every time. This makes it possible to take very quick glances (half a second) left or right by flicking the right analog stick, instead of having to actually hold and control it.

I usually have my map set to full, which makes it pretty useless for checking blind spots. I use the right analog stick and L1 to constantly look around me when I'm drifting with other people. A lot of times, mid drift, looking directly backwards (L1) doesn't help, as there is usually (at least shouldn't be! :lol:) nothing there. Looking sideways actually lets you see what's going on "behind you."

Maybe I should try a more zoomed in map...hmmmm :boggled:

Lol my bad...not a very good explanation. I'm talking about the way the camera-view behaves when you look sideways. My buttons are set up so I use R2/L2 for Gas/Brake, and the right analog stick to look sideways. I think a lot of DS3 users use the right analog stick to look sideways; except for those who use it for Gas/Brake. I've gotten pretty used to taking very quick sideways glances, both when chasing and leading. On longer corners, I sometimes practice looking sideways for longer periods. A couple of times, I've been able to look sideways pretty much all the way through the last tunnel at GVS while right on someone's door. I think it's a cool feeling, driving while looking sideways...challenging too.

When you are in either bumper or interior view, you can actively control the degree at which you look sideways with the right analog stick. This is very pretty and all, but in the heat of a tandem, I find it too finicky. Also, because any movement of the right analog stick causes the camera to move, I have a much more difficult time sensing the movement of the car.

In bonnet view, the right analog stick acts like an "on/off" switch when looking sideways. It doesn't matter if you push the stick a little, or all the way, the camera-view always looks as far left or right as possible, and in the exact same spot every time. This makes it possible to take very quick glances (half a second) left or right by flicking the right analog stick, instead of having to actually hold and control it.

I usually have my map set to full, which makes it pretty useless for checking blind spots. I use the right analog stick and L1 to constantly look around me when I'm drifting with other people. A lot of times, mid drift, looking directly backwards (L1) doesn't help, as there is usually (at least shouldn't be! :lol:) nothing there. Looking sideways actually lets you see what's going on "behind you."

I would try this when I'm using my DS3 at night because my rig makes noisy sound when I keep on turning the wheel. Would be pointless me using this when using the wheel. Your idea sounds pretty good, I'll give it a try when I get to use my DS3 for drifting and for the Track view I use 5 :) not too big not too small just right in my opinion anyways.

Try watching behind you during transitions, then you can see where the other guy is ;)

If you're on DFGT you can set your look back button to the L/R2 buttons at the top 👍

I personally have my handbrake button set to both of those because screw trying to locate the face buttons midcorner :lol:

If you're on DFGT you can set your look back button to the L/R2 buttons at the top 👍

I personally have my handbrake button set to both of those because screw trying to locate the face buttons midcorner :lol:

.....if you're on a G27 you can set any of the red wheel buttons to do the same 👍

I use the bottom left button on the steering wheel for "look back", the two middle buttons for look left or right. I also use my top left and right buttons for the hand brake. The bottom right for horn :).

.....if you're on a G27 you can set any of the red wheel buttons to do the same 👍

I use the bottom left button on the steering wheel for "look back", the two middle buttons for look left or right. I also use my top left and right buttons for the hand brake. The bottom right for horn :).

I'm well aware, however the red buttons on the wheel have the same issue of being 'face buttons'. I suppose you can set the red buttons on the gear stick 'cluster' to be the handbrake to avoid that problem.

The L/R2 buttons on the DFGT are at the top of the wheel which makes it far easier to hit than fumbling for the face buttons, no matter how close to full lock your wheel is, hence my suggestion 👍

it's a good idea but too much effort involved in looking at the steering wheel position then to hit the button while keeping the car in drift... not practical... I use my map to know if someone is right on me. Some times you can hear it.

it's a good idea but too much effort involved in looking at the steering wheel position then to hit the button while keeping the car in drift... not practical... I use my map to know if someone is right on me. Some times you can hear it.

I'm not disagreeing, but in a (In my opinion) restricting view such as the hood/roof mounted camera that has no rear view mirrors it's worth at least giving a try 👍

UrieHusky
I'm not disagreeing, but in a (In my opinion) restricting view such as the hood/roof mounted camera that has no rear view mirrors it's worth at least giving a try 👍

Agreed. I use hood view or in car camera. Mainly hood because i don't like seeing two steering wheels.

Any other view I can't stand. Specially third person camera while on a wheel. I don't understand how anyone would use third person camera.

Agreed. I use hood view or in car camera. Mainly hood because i don't like seeing two steering wheels.

Any other view I can't stand. Specially third person camera while on a wheel. I don't understand how anyone would use third person camera.

I sometimes use third person if I'm using a car I've never drifted before, due to the mirrors not rendering your own cars body panels it's more difficult to work out the exact size of your car. Spacial awareness is so important in drifting and unfortunately GT5 falls a bit short on conveying the size of your car using the mirrors.

So I'll do a couple practice runs in third person to get a grasp on the exact size of my rear fenders before going back to interior.

As for seeing two wheels, I have a 24 inch screen directly infront of my wheel, my wheel lines up exactly where the wheel is on the screen so I can't actually see it.

All the benefits none of the draw backs 👍

There are no dangers to close tandems as long as each driver is capable of handling leading or following.

All these are pictures showing that close is not dangerous as long as the follow car knows the other person's style and as long as the lead is consistent. Never be afraid to push the boundaries, after all it is a game so accidents can't be taken too personally.

This quote is how I feel about the subject... There is no "perfect" drift, "perfect" line, or "perfect" tandem. Never know your limits until you reach them. I personally don't like drift trains of anything more than 3 cars for this reason. Too many styles and skill sets to expect a super clean run.

DeepForestRaceway_5.jpg
I much rather see 2 people get 90* in tandem than 7 people getting 40. That's just me though, since there is no "right" and "wrong" in testing your skills. I think simply being familiar with your drift partner(s) goes overlooked, in exchange for technical jargon... If you know what the other person is going to do before they do it, it makes it a lot easier to find an opening to pull in close.

Back