Targa FLORIO

• Thread starter Sugivaz
  • 7 comments
I saw that the Sardinia circuit in Gt7 is made from real roads
Where did you see that? There's sign posts to real places but, as far as I'm aware, no actual roads involved.
I wonder why there is no Targa FLORIO circu
I'm not sure how the one thing connects to the other. Even if the Sardegna Road Track course is made of real roads (which it isn't), why would that mean Targa Florio would also be included? PD would need to get out and scan an entire 92-mile road course (which the PS4 might struggle with) in order to include the route in the game.

There's loads of road-racing tracks around the world, but just because one might be in the game (and there are only two that use some real, two-way public roads: Le Mans and Mount Panorama) doesn't mean all of them should also be in the game...

I agree the Targa Florio has special status in history, and cultural provenance to be the jewel in any racing game.

However… At 72 km even the shorter version of ”the Targa” is a mastodont of a location to replicate with current GT standards.

Futhermore: As a real world track I expect the sheer length of it, goes against Polyphonys filosophy of GT as an easy access driving simulator. It is designed around an idea of effortless enjoyment, the ability to have a few minutes off to experience the joy of driving various cars.
Compared to more common tracks a full length Targa would require a lot more time and commitment to enjoy.

And frankly, with fuel consumption and tyre wear: at 70 km per lap the Targa would be a absolute pain to race in.
As such even the rather lengthy Nordschleife can be seen as somewhat of an exception to the rule of easy accessability.

From a commersial point of view I’d guess the similar Mille Miglia stands a greater chance of being a part of GT universe, as it is still an important event in motoring culture. Even so I’d say the MM is a bit narrow, as an interest, and that it would most likely have the form of an Italian version of Saint-Croix or … the already present Sardegna.

But if You ask me what track i have on the top of my wish list, it would be The Targa Florio.

Last edited:
I think the point to point track generator, PD used for the rally events in GT5, would be the best bet. If they embarked on such a thing, it’d probably be generic scenery like the ”towns” of St. Croix. At least we’d have something.

Driving on a digital Targa Florio could very well be possible in the future, but not now. Forget it for GT7.

Where did you see that? There's sign posts to real places but, as far as I'm aware, no actual roads involved.

I'm not sure how the one thing connects to the other. Even if the Sardegna Road Track course is made of real roads (which it isn't), why would that mean Targa Florio would also be included? PD would need to get out and scan an entire 92-mile road course (which the PS4 might struggle with) in order to include the route in the game.

There's loads of road-racing tracks around the world, but just because one might be in the game (and there are only two that use some real, two-way public roads: Le Mans and Mount Panorama) doesn't mean all of them should also be in the game...
I agree the Targa Florio has special status in history, and cultural provenance to be the jewel in any racing game.

However… At 72 km even the shorter version of ”the Targa” is a mastodont of a location to replicate with current GT standards.

Futhermore: As a real world track I expect the sheer length of it, goes against Polyphonys filosophy of GT as an easy access driving simulator. It is designed around an idea of effortless enjoyment, the ability to have a few minutes off to experience the joy of driving various cars.
Compared to more common tracks a full length Targa would require a lot more time and commitment to enjoy.

And frankly, with fuel consumption and tyre wear: at 70 km per lap the Targa would be a absolute pain to race in.
As such even the rather lengthy Nordschleife can be seen as somewhat of an exception to the rule of easy accessability.

From a commersial point of view I’d guess the similar Mille Miglia stands a greater chance of being a part of GT universe, as it is still an important event in motoring culture. Even so I’d say the MM is a bit narrow, as an interest, and that it would most likely have the form of an Italian version of Saint-Croix or … the already present Sardegna.

But if You ask me what track i have on the top of my wish list, it would be The Targa Florio.
In ‘Sardinia’ they are real, or very similar, roads. As for the FLORIO Targa, the same could be done, 10km circuit with Madonie landscape

”In ‘Sardinia’ they are real, or very similar, roads. As for the FLORIO Targa, the same could be done, 10km circuit with Madonie landscape”

Yes they are. Some - many - roads of Sardinia are magnificent. And I think Polyphony captured the atmosphere well in the location they created for GT.

In my opinion the current location would serve well in a possible event taking cues from Targa Florio.

Interestingly enough, there are also no events for classic or historic racecars in GT7. Unless I missed something here…

As a possible, branded event though…

As an event the TF is redundant in a way the Mille Miglia is not.
The latter is still arranged as a historical event for enthusiasts to take part in. Including automakers and their museums. In greater motor culture MM has a greater precense that reaches far beyond interest for historical motorsports. It’s fame is more universally recognized. As such MM would appear a stronger possible partner to Polyphony/GT. Not dissimilar to the Goodwood events or the Concours at Pebble Beach…

What a possible MM lacks compared to TF is a suitable location, I think. Unless Maggiore can be considered one. At present MM has fewer cars that fit the bill, compared with TF, but…

In the end this is all speculation. Your guess is as good as anyones.

Ultimately, there are no signs. Cars, locations and events may fit the bill to some extent but for all we know they are merely incidental - at best.

But speculating is also part of the game, yes? As long as it’s made clear, anyway.

Last edited:
Back