Team GTPlanet.net has been created for SETI@Home!

Well, I finally had some free time and have created GTPlanet's first ever SETI@home team. In case you're wondering, SETI@Home is basically a project where client computers download workunits from Berkley University for analysis to determine whether or not each individual workunit contains any possible signal candidates for signals from alien civilizations.

I go into more detail about the project on the team page on my website.
Team GTPlanet on my website

Last UPDATE: October 18, 2004

BOINC SETI@Home Team Information

The new version of SETI@Home, which works through BOINC(Berkley Open Infrastructure Networking Computing) works as a distributed computing project. Basically, it means that you can devote partial cpu time between SETI@Home and other projects running on BOINC.

This is the direction in which I would like to see the team migrate to as well. Basically, in the near future, the original project will be shut down and the BOINC version will become the main program.

After having tested the SETI@Home BOINC version for several months now, I feel that it is a worthwhile continuation of the project. I alone have surpassed the total amount of workunit credit I received under SETI@Home Classic. It's far easier to earn credit under the BOINC version than it is under the classic version.

SETI@Home BOINC Website
Why Move to BOINC?
Team GTPlanet.Net on BOINC SETI@Home
Create an Account on BOINC and Join Team GTPlanet!
Port your account from SETI@Home Classic to BOINC SETI@Home

As of October 18, 2004, new members of the team will be able to create an account on BOINC and automatically join the team through the above link that is second to last in the list(For members who joined the project and team after May 14, 2004). By doing so, you will have all preferences of the project founder (I.E. Matrixhasu77). However, if you would like to keep your statistics from the original project then I suggest you port your account over. This is for members who have been apart of the project since before May 14, 2004 though.

Original SETI@Home Team Information

The team can be found at the following page:
Team GTPlanet.net

More information about SETI@Home
Berkley's SETI website
Learn More about the SETI@Home Project
GilesGuthrie's Article about SETI@Home
How SETI@Home works

The actual program may be downloaded from this page:
Download SETI@Home

Once you have downloaded and installed the program, it will ask you to create a SETI@home account. After you have created your account, please visit the team's page on SETI@home via this thread or by PMing me. I will gladly help anyone who needs help getting SETI running.

The program has two options for analyzing workunits:
  • The first option "Data analysis runs only when the screensaver is active or program window is maximized" means that SETI will run as a screensaver. However, in order for SETI to run as a screensaver, make sure that you have it set as your default screensaver and that under Settings "Go to blank screen" is checked and that the minutes til blank field is at 1 minute.
  • The second option being "Data Analysis runs all the time" means that SETI runs in the background and only uses IDLE CPU cycles in order to analyze a workunit. You can also have SETI run as your screensaver when you are not at your computer(see first option for help on setting this up).

Other Useful Information:
  • Also, the program may be exited in the middle of a workunit. It writes to your harddrive every few minutes to protect against data loss.
  • If you decide to run SETI on a work computer, please ask your employer permission to do so.
  • Users with 128MB or less should set it to run only when the screensaver is running, or there are no active windows.
  • Cable/DSL users should set the application to connect whenever needed.
  • Modem users should set SETI to request a connection when needed.
  • SETI@Home only needs to be connected when transferring data back to the Berkeley servers. Each work unit is only approx 340K, therefore bandwidth consumption is less than a single view of a large GTP thread.
  • The application writes the current status of the work unit to disk every 15 seconds or so, so it can be quit at any time, and only 15 seconds' work max will be lost
  • Because the app writes to the disk all the time, make sure Hard Disk Power Down is set to "Never" in any Power Management software you have. Otherwise the app has to wait for the disks to spin up before it can write. This adds delay and stresses your drives.
  • As already mentioned, ensure that "Go to blank screen" is set to be 1 minute. This will shave 60% off work unit calculation time.
  • Multiple computers can connect to the same SETI account. This is how I amassed > 7 years CPU time in 3 years elapsed time.
  • NT/2000/XP users: go to the Task Manager, click Processes, then click the CPU column header. You will see how the Seti process replaces System Idle Process in taking up unused CPU cycles.

Anyone who wishes to join the team may do so. I am hoping that many forum members join the team so that we may contribute many workunits. Even the slowest computer can still contribute. I will update this post with users who have joined the team.

I posted this in the Rumble Strip so that everyone would see it. If a moderator feels that it is in the wrong forum, then please move it.

EDIT:Team Member list
12/26/03 Matrixhasu77
12/26/03 Sage
12/26/03 duo17
12/26/03 spock
12/27/03 GilesGuthrie
12/28/03 Attila Da Hun
12/29/03 240Z freak(GTCP)
12/29/03 Pako(Cygnus_IX)
12/29/03 BlazinXtreme
12/30/03 emad(emadg1)
12/31/03 TVRKing(Phantom)
1/10/04 halfracedrift (bernZ)
1/13/04 Cobraboy (Marco)
1/18/04 Made in Holland(To be confirmed, but is listed)
2/2/04 space
10/6/04 Tacet Blue
10/6/04 Event Horizon
10/6/04 tb
5/25/05 Blake

I joined, and have it running on my computer right now. :) (I'm going to have to replace the application icon though... it's so ugly.)

Originally posted by xAkirax2004
What's SETI?

Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. There is more information on the project at SETI's website. Information about the project in general can be found at this page.

Your computer analyzes workunits downloaded from Berkley's Server in Arecibo(where the telescope is located). After a workunit has been analyzed, it is returned to Berkley's server in return for a new workunit.

I've got it running but the only thing I'm worried about is the usage that it might use on my monthly bandwidth.

Damn ****ty isp! :grumpy:

i joined, although its been a while since i last used this program (way back in may 2k3) but i already had 14 units done

Originally posted by Cobraboy
I've got it running but the only thing I'm worried about is the usage that it might use on my monthly bandwidth.

Damn ****ty isp! :grumpy:

It shouldn't eat up your monthly bandwidth too much. Are you on cable?

I am trying to cover everything I can think of in the first post of this thread(probably my largest posting ever). Also, make sure that you join the group itself(if you haven't already,Berkley's website may not have updated the page yet). I'm not seeing you on the team page yet for some reason.

I tried to join, but sense im running 31.1kpbs. I think thats why the program won't connect to the net. SO I give up on this program. And Duo17, thanks for tring to help me out with this. :cheers:

GT4: Prologue, Race Idiot made quite a few of them in a thread in the test forum. Enough off-topic chating, okay?

OA

Originally posted by Darin
Yes Sir.

So, how exactly does the screensaver help?

Well, if you set it to "Go to blank screen" in one minute from the screensaver's activation, SETI@Home will run much faster than if it ran in the background or maximized as a window because it will not have to draw graphics while it analyzes workunits.

Originally posted by Matrixhasu77
It shouldn't eat up your monthly bandwidth too much. Are you on cable?

I am trying to cover everything I can think of in the first post of this thread(probably my largest posting ever). Also, make sure that you join the group itself(if you haven't already,Berkley's website may not have updated the page yet). I'm not seeing you on the team page yet for some reason.

I'm on ADSL.

I haven't joined the team because I haven't got a password and I haven't received an email with my password either.

Well, I've joined, and since I've been doing it for nearly three years now, I've added a few work units to the total.

Here are some hints (Matrixhasu77: feel free to edit these into your first post as you see fit):
  • Users with 128MB or less should set it to run only when the screensaver is running, or there are no active windows.
  • Cable/DSL users should set the application to connect whenever needed.
  • Modem users should set SETi to request a connection when needed.
  • SETI@Home only needs to be connected when transferring data back to the Berkeley servers. Each work unit is only approx 340K, therefore bandwidth consumption is less than a single view of a large GTP thread.
  • The application writes the current status of the work unit to disk every 15 seconds or so, so it can be quit at any time, and only 15 seconds' work max will be lost
  • Because the app writes to the disk all the time, make sure Hard Disk Power Down is set to "Never" in any Power Management software you have. Otherwise the app has to wait for the disks to spin up before it can write. This adds delay and stresses your drives.
  • As already mentioned, ensure that "Go to blank screen" is set to be 1 minute. This will shave 60% off work unit calculation time.
  • Multiple computers can connect to the same SETI account. This is how I amassed > 7 years CPU time in 3 years elapsed time.
  • NT/2000/XP users: go to the Task Manager, click Processes, then click the CPU column header. You will see how the Seti process replaces System Idle Process in taking up unused CPU cycles.

I've got a bit of a SETI page up, click here, then choose SETI@Home.

:)

Is this what you mean? The actual link for the page is on the left side of the website in the yellow. The SETI@Home section in the main side of the page is just a description. It threw me for a loop also.

Attachments

• seti@homelink.jpg
    seti@homelink.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 131
I'm on ADSL.

I haven't joined the team because I haven't got a password and I haven't received an email with my password either.

If you go to this page and enter the email address you used to create your account, Berkley's server should then send you a new password. Why they cannot let users choose their own password instead of a bunch of numbers is beyond me.

Get your SETI@Home Password

Alternately, the user account area has a link to this page also.

User Account Area

Also, has anyone else received a "Web Server Error" from Berkley's SETI website? I have several times.

Originally posted by Matrixhasu77
If you go to this page and enter the email address you used to create your account, Berkley's server should then send you a new password. Why they cannot let users choose their own password instead of a bunch of numbers is beyond me.

Get your SETI@Home Password

Alternately, the user account area has a link to this page also.

User Account Area

Also, has anyone else received a "Web Server Error" from Berkley's SETI website? I have several times.

That what I've done. Twice.

I also got the Web Server Error too, it pissed me off because I had finally finished a unit :mad:

That what I've done. Twice.

I also got the Web Server Error too, it pissed me off because I had finally finished a unit :mad:

I guess just try in a few hours or sometime in a day or two. I think Berkley's Servers are recovering from a recent crash. The only problems I've had are with the website and trying to access my user stats and the teams stats. I'm sorry that I couldn't be of much help to you.

I've been getting quite a few 500 errors from their web servers, which is often an indication of extremely high load.

Back