Team Shmo Tuning Garage

• Thread starter shmogt
  • 74 comments

Subaru WRX Gr.B Rally Car

In the world of Rally Racing, you can bet that Subaru will be on the grid!

Car: Subaru WRX Gr.B Rally Car

Track: Sardegna – Windmills

Time: 1:18.522

Discipline: 123/86

Tires: Dirt Tires

Tuner: Dave Fisher

If you know the track well, 1:20.xxx will be your window whist drifting. Keeping sliding to a minimum will grant you faster lap times, it’s just a matter of figuring out which corners to drift, and which to maintain as much traction as possible.

The tune is designed for both Rally Driving Styles! After a few practice runs, this car will promise fun, fun and more fun!

I was looking at your setup for the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 '11 and I'm having some trouble with the gearbox. I'm not understanding your gearbox trick to set it up. I no that there's a few different ways people do there gearbox setups. Usually I set the Final hear first at 4500 (5000) then the Auto Set and then the gears. Lastly set the Final Gear. Can you explain how you have your setup?

garystevens64

Mazda Atenza Gr.4

I will be honest, I didn’t expect much from the Atenza Gr.4. I didn’t even know that it was All-Wheel Drive! But man, drive this car around St-Croix – C, It feels like a proper Gran-Tourer Car … and what fun it is!

Car: Mazda Atenza Gr.4

Track: Circuit de Sainte-Croix – C

Time: 3:24.281

Discipline: 126/68

Tires: Racing Super Soft

Tuner: Travis Gentle

—————————————-

I believe that if the front suspension was a bit softer, there won’t be so much understeer on turn in! If you can manage to shift the weight just right, the front end will hold. On exit, it has plenty of grip thanks to its All-Wheel Drive Layout!

Practice enough and anyone would agree, this car is pretty well balanced!

I was looking at your setup for the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 '11 and I'm having some trouble with the gearbox. I'm not understanding your gearbox trick to set it up. I no that there's a few different ways people do there gearbox setups. Usually I set the Final hear first at 4500 (5000) then the Auto Set and then the gears. Lastly set the Final Gear. Can you explain how you have your setup?

garystevens64
I answered about the tune in the prvt message you sent me. As far as the transmission, there really isn't any right or wrong way to set it. It is more a feel. If you want the car to be very fast, accelerate quicker, be smooth, etc will all depend on how you set the transmission. Usually for GT Sport tunes they are setup like the below example:

First Final Gear: 3.450
Auto Set Speed: 180mph
Slide 6th Gear to the Right: 0.995 / 180
New Final Gear: 3.129
Copy the rest of the Gears (that it would say on a tune)

However, you can start with the top speed first, then the gears, then the final as well. That is how all my tunes were set in GT6. It just gives the cars a different feel. The way in the example usually gives a more smooth feeling as it stretches out the transmission while still keeping the gears tight. Basically, drive the car and decide what is wrong with it. Does it accelerate too quickly to the point of spinning the tires and losing traction? Does it go to its final gear and rev out to the point where it has more power, but stops short of using it all? Each situation will be a different setup style. The easiest is lower the final gear to make it accelerate quicker and lengthen the final gear to raise its top speed. Then pay attention to each gear around the track and decide whether a certain gear or gears themselves need to be close or farther away per track.

Honda NSX Gr.3

Ayrton Senna test drove the First Generation NSX with a few tips here and there that he felt would make the car handle much better! Honda Listened!

With the New Generation NSX, you can guarantee that somewhere in the design line, Ayrton was in the minds of Honda!

Car: Honda NSX Gr.3

Track: Autódromo de Interlagos

Discipline: 122/84

The Original Street Version of this Car has 2 Hybrid Motors for the 2 individual front wheels, Making this “Mid-Engine Rear Wheel Drive” into a”Hybrid-All Wheel Drive”

I cannot say the same about the Gr.3 Version though… I believe that Gr.3 regulations requires all registers cars are to be Rear Wheel Drive ONLY

Because of this face, I cannot give a proper review FOR the NSX Gr.3 Specifically, because it honestly feels like every other race car!

McLaren Ultimate Vision Gran Turismo

Suzuka Circuit ranks Number 2 on my top 3 favorite tracks and it always feels good to bring a new car, a fast car around here! The McLaren VGT is this week’s featured car and boy oh boy, if you haven’t driven this car here at Suzuka yet, I hope this tune works well for you!

Car: McLaren Ultimate Vision Gran Turismo (Gr.1)

Track: Suzuka Circuit

Discipline: 100/88

The first corner, you should be able to trail brake all the way til you turn in on the exit section of turn one, but for some reason the tail swings out into an over-steer… you’re forced to brake earlier and smoother as the car maintains balance through this section

There’s a tad bit of exit understeer so don’t slam on the gas too soon! You’ll notice the understeer when you accelerate! Smooth out your throttle application and it will help.

There is plenty of aero on the car so use it when cornering, push the car as much as you can, it’s thrilling how fast and how hard you can push this car once you learn to control it!

Are all your Gr3 setups for max power min weight only?

Would be better if you could tune for track specific BoP.

Are all your Gr3 setups for max power min weight only?

Would be better if you could tune for track specific BoP.

Not always. Usually they are track specific. You can also tune it down or up and it should still react the same for the tune.

Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo

Amuse, a company know to tuning cars with the Honda Emblem and with one of the most popular cars in its production line, the S2000 will definitely put any driver to the test!

Car: Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo
Track: Suzuka Circuit
Discipline: 100/89

The Production Version of the S2000 was designed to have a 50/50 weight ratio. But due to the cars big booty, the car just loves to swing that rear end!

With this issue considered, the tune is designed to counter as much rear-end oversteer without losing overall balance!

The car will slide but the way inertia works, its easier to control the slide! Good luck and enjoy the tune everyone!

Hyundai Genesis Gr.3

The thing I love about Brands Indy is how consistent you can keep cars at high speeds! With this week’s Hot-Lap car, the Genesis Gr.3 will keep your racing wits in check!

Car: Hyundai Genesis Gr.3
Track: Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
Discipline: 136/88

I’m using the Logitech G29 wheel and I can tell you from a few corners that the rear end feels a bit stiff! However, it’s not necessarily a high ride height issue, but there isn’t much play in the suspension… this will add rear end OVER-STEER!

Keep this in mind during mid-cornering to throttle-exit, as the rear will swing out more often times than not! Keeping the rear planted will only grant a successful lap!

The transmission is set up so that the driver only needs to use 4 gears! This is more or less, like a rally setup with closer gear ratios.

Congratulations Michael Martins for an awesome tune and a blistering lap time!

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition Gr.4

The Last of its kind, even though its not one of its kind! The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition Gr.4 is a definite must have for any all-wheel drive enthusiasts!

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition Gr.4

Track: Kyoto Driving Park – Yamigawa+Miyabi

Discipline: 127/71

Attempting the first corner, immediately, you sense the level of understeer this tune has to offer! Because its all-wheel drive, you can accelerate sooner and harder, the all-wheel drive system allows the tune to handle really well under loose grip conditions!

It takes a while to get used to but lap after lap, you will find that you can push the car harder on exits!

Enjoy the tune everyone and congratulations to Travis Gentle for a solid tune!

Renault Sport Mégane Gr.4

Everyone’s favourite hot hatch out of France, the Renault Sport Mégane Gr.4! This little baby is small but powerful. Since it is a hot hatch it is a lot of fun to drive and the added aero give it even better handling. If you’re into small cars that are a blast to drive you are definitely gonna wanna try this one out.

The history behind this car and set up, goes back to the beta version when you were only allowed to run in 3 categories per day. As a result I came with this set up, to run Gr.4 in this track hope you guys enjoy it flat out!

Tune by José Andrés Calvo aka IllamentalCR

Back