Telltale Games Closing Its Doors

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 15 comments
I hope the staff members can find employment soon, what an absolutely horrible situation to find yourself in. Some of the comments I'm seeing about this online are absolutely disgusting; clearly written by people who have never had to worry about paying a mortgage or working endless hours each day for no severance pay.

The only Telltale games I've played are LEGO Star Wars and Minecraft Story Mode. Although, I am thinking about getting Guardians of the Galaxy.

It sounds an awful lot like what Telltale did was equivalent to what Maxis was doing twenty years ago that caused them to collapse and EA to buy them out; where they do something popular that makes them somewhat well off and known, and they completely go off the rails to try and capitalize on it as fast as possible and stretch themselves way beyond too thin in the process.

I've never played their games, but I always imagined they made plenty of money based on their output so this seems rather shocking. Hopefully those getting screwed over by this can find something without much delay.

Luckily they are very rare; a lot of places are deleting the comments fairly quickly when they appear but there's always people like this turd (although it's clear from the comments he's in the minority here):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/866800/discussions/0/1734339901248844529/

I always love the "people do it as a hobby so why should you get paid for it!" line. :rolleyes:

Luckily they are very rare; a lot of places are deleting the comments fairly quickly when they appear but there's always people like this turd (although it's clear from the comments he's in the minority here):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/866800/discussions/0/1734339901248844529/

That's quite the perspective, I wasn't ready for it. Expected something about not liking their games or something. Reeks of the ol' "I'm in high school and know how the world works."

Hasn't Telltale Games been on the upswing and gaining great popularity? It seems very surprising this studio is shutting down. That's like some athlete in his/her prime all of a sudden facing career-ending injury. Sad...

Seeing that their current CEO was brought in from Zynga puts some of this into perspective, as that's another game company that was ridden right into the ground during the height of its popularity. Manglement never changes, it seems.

Hasn't Telltale Games been on the upswing and gaining great popularity? It seems very surprising this studio is shutting down. That's like some athlete in his/her prime all of a sudden facing career-ending injury. Sad...

It's hard to say as we don't have access to the sales figures for their recent titles, but what we do have are the Steam ownership figures and they tell an interesting story*. I've included them below.

*Although it's worth noting that more recent titles will generally have lower sales as they haven't been out as long

ZqRGKJa.png

The only Telltale games I've played are LEGO Star Wars and Minecraft Story Mode. Although, I am thinking about getting Guardians of the Galaxy.
The LEGO games are made by Traveller's Tales.

Back