Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,521 comments
:odd:

Porsche may produce less Taycans in the first year, than a full year's worth of Model S production, but they're still mass produced. Notably, without tents.
Talking about production numbers specifically.

Anyways, I'm done in here until there's another update on the Model S monster so you guys enjoy your little conversation. ;)

So, how many fossil fuels did Tesla waste for this little PR stunt that only a handful of people actually care about?

Tesla: We care about the environment, but we care about overcompensating even more! :lol:

So, how many fossil fuels did Tesla waste for this little PR stunt that only a handful of people actually care about?

Tesla: We care about the environment, but we care about overcompensating even more! :lol:
According to one report, nearby residents are annoyed by generators being run by Tesla.
But back to the Eifel. Together with the Tesla a container from America arrived at the ring. Its content: a large diesel engine. This generates the power to charge the Model S. Since it is noisy day and night, it has already attracted the annoyance of the residents.

And the residents may be annoyed for a while: Tesla is expected to stay for at least three weeks. Test and voting runs are scheduled to take place every day, Wednesday, September 18, 2019, a first record attempt is planned. On Saturday, a second attempt should follow, rumors say.

The same report is also claiming a hand-stopped 7:23, which would put it in the realm of the 488 GTB, 997 GT RS, & Gumpert Apollo. Elon has even tweeted the production car should be faster. However, unless Elon plans to sell his customers the exact same Michelin & Goodyear compound tires, it'll remain a questionable record. Porsche & others skirt around this because they will offer those tires to clients directly.

Toyota, Nissan, and even GM were working on electric vehicles well before Tesla hit the market.
Fun Fact: Toyota and Ford went to market with EV variants of existing models--the Rav4 and Ranger, respectively--before Musk's involvement with PayPal, much less automotive manufacture.

Also before that point, GM managed to lease more than 1100 EV1s, and while the venture ended up being a bit of a flop commercially, it demonstrated the fact that the big companies were interested in EV development.

@Eunos_Cosmo proposed that someone like Musk and his rabid fanbase may have been necessary to propel EVs to the degree of normalcy that we see now, and while I don't necessarily think he's wrong, per se (again, it's the only reality we're capable of observing), I do wonder if they haven't also been to the detriment of EV normalcy. If someone like me--who welcomes a serious EV future (or even present)--can't stand these people, what of those who are on the fence or even outright opposition?

Battery chemistry and energy density per $ had been creeping towards making modern EV's viable for quite a while, and it's easy to demonstrate various manufacturer's prior research into this. I'd not realised how prevalent electric cars were in the early days of motoring either, but in any case many manufacturers have dabbled with battery power over the years.

Tesla definitely went in with both feet at the point it really became feasible and I do think this helped to get the public's attention - but, I think by about 2025 we'd have been in a similar situation anyway with or without Tesla. The legacy car makers would have got there in a more controlled fashion too, as opposed to having to field not-quite-up-to-scratch intermediate products in an attempt to compete with Musk's hype machine and questionably built products.

I think its also fair to say dieselgate and stricter standards have done as much to force the situation as Tesla have if not more. Even for standard CO2 emission fines, VW are hemorrhaging several billion Euros a year - most car makers are. That's impacting their bottom line FAR more then competition from e-Loon.

The EV movement needed to be made sexy with sports cars to grasp mass-acceptance. Tesla did that with the roadster, and kept pushing. I definitely credit Tesla with moving the market... in a big way. They were the shove the auto industry needed, and basically every auto-maker is scrambling to reorient themselves. It's beautiful really.

Talking about production numbers specifically.

Huh?

They both are (or rather, will be) mass-produced. The bar for that distinction isn't "whatever number of Model Ss are made in a year".

The EV movement needed to be made sexy with sports cars to grasp mass-acceptance. Tesla did that with the roadster, and kept pushing. I definitely credit Tesla with moving the market... in a big way. They were the shove the auto industry needed, and basically every auto-maker is scrambling to reorient themselves. It's beautiful really.
Bingo.

A ridiculously good looking blue car has joined the party.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/t...y-demolishes-porsche-taycans-ring-lap-record/

ab13ae2f-tesla-model-s-nurburgring-lap-record-attempt-23.jpg
Is that car on slicks?

Tesla is getting cosy at the ring

Plus it appears to be a permanent fixture, indicating future models are going to be lapping the ring too.

*ZOOM IN; ENHANCE*

hbo4TSs.jpg

Looks like the Goodyear mentioned in the article to me.

image.jpg

Can't get much closer to a racing tire than this while still being road legal. I really doubt they will offer these for the Model S. But nothing can be discounted while Musk is around...

+bonus points for the remnants of the "carpool ok" sticker.

Not terribly interested in the lap record until I see something that resembles what you'd find in a dealership...

or... online? I don't remember how Tesla's car sales work.

or... online? I don't remember how Tesla's car sales work.

They tell you one price at first, but that when you go to buy it, it's actually thousands more because they include fuel savings in the price of the vehicle.

They tell you one price at first, but that when you go to buy it, it's actually thousands more because they include fuel savings in the price of the vehicle.

Yes and it also says the price without the savings on their website where you actually place the order so there's no problem there. It might actually be interesting for people to see how much they could save if they make the switch to electric. Even though the numbers can obviously be different depending on which car you make the switch from.

So.. they should've had an attempt at the record yesterday, no news yet? They have another attempt this saturday. Really curious what lap time the Plaid Model S is capable of.

So.. they should've had an attempt at the record yesterday, no news yet? They have another attempt this saturday. Really curious what lap time the Plaid Model S is capable of.
I'd take it with a grain of salt since the cars there are chassis prototypes with gutted interiors.

Edit:

Last edited:
Love the Teslerati twitter comments.

Is there a way to model out how this car would do in the 24 Hours of Le Mans ? I’m not saying it would win but if they stopped for say 10 Minutes when they changed tires to recharge, how wide/narrow would the results be for this car?

:lol::lol:

You know what though... I'd genuinely be interested to see how a 24hr race among production EV's worked out. Energy strategy and reliability etc.

Oh don't get me wrong, (and I've said this elsewhere on this board before) I would LOVE to see an electric class at the 24hr. Now that would be a challenging hurdle (as opposed to a single hotlap) for an electric car to overcome, and isn't that the point of endurance racing in the first place?

I'm just amused by the presumptuousness of the Teslerati.

"can achieve"... that's some weasel wording right there.
Where do they plan to achieve another 15 seconds on top of 7:20? That’s the Nio Ep9 time at 7:05, iirc and that’s a purpose built electric car. Dipping anywhere near 7 minutes is indeed very quick, but they’d have to be running full race rubber and lost every ounce of possible weight.

I’d like to see exactly what’s been done that brings a 2015 P85D from 8:50 to 7:05 in the new car.

Where do they plan to achieve another 15 seconds on top of 7:20? That’s the Nio Ep9 time at 7:05, iirc and that’s a purpose built electric car. Dipping anywhere near 7 minutes is indeed very quick, but they’d have to be running full race rubber and lost every ounce of possible weight.

I’d like to see exactly what’s been done that brings a 2015 P85D from 8:50 to 7:05 in the new car.
Looking at the maps above, I see a few places where it looks like they lifted and coasted, especially after the Bilstein bridge. Likely trying to regenerate energy. Wonder how much time they lose doing that.

Back