Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,517 comments
The Dottinger straight is quite telling. If I'm reading it right, the cars output drops quite significantly over half a mile or so.

Something is weird about the graphics. There is no reading over 500kw...but surely it must be pushing out more than that considering the 100D can do close to 600kw.

The Dottinger straight is quite telling. If I'm reading it right, the cars output drops quite significantly over half a mile or so.
It looks like the driver is lifting slowly off, I'm guessing to maintain the speed. Even then though, it barely gets full mechanical power before he gets off the throttle again. The first blue hash marks look like he was planning to maximize full power for a small stretch again.
Something is weird about the graphics. There is no reading over 500kw...but surely it must be pushing out more than that considering the 100D can do close to 600kw.
There's a twitter user who speculated the car could be using 50% of the battery to achieve the lap. Perhaps allowing the car to accomplish 600kw in sections drains even faster?

So what did we learn concretely from this? The Tesla did not complete a faster lap than the Porsche. I think that's all we really learned.

I learned just how much the media likes to blow thing out of proportion.
Elon coming out and supporting the 7:23 supposed time, then tweeting 7:20 is possible followed by possibly shaving another 15 seconds off that time, surely deserves part of that overblowing....

Elon coming out and supporting the 7:23 supposed time, then tweeting 7:20 is possible followed by possibly shaving another 15 seconds off that time, surely deserves part of that overblowing....
Tesla did that. Not Elon personally. Your hate shines like a beacon.

Tesla did that. Not Elon personally. Your hate shines like a beacon.

Substitute Elon for Tesla in McLarens statement and you get...

Tesla coming out and supporting the 7:23 supposed time, then tweeting 7:20 is possible followed by possibly shaving another 15 seconds off that time, surely deserves part of that overblowing....

His point is still just as valid.

Substitute Elon for Tesla in McLarens statement and you get...

Tesla coming out and supporting the 7:23 supposed time, then tweeting 7:20 is possible followed by possibly shaving another 15 seconds off that time, surely deserves part of that overblowing....

His point is still just as valid.
I don't see the problem with them sharing what is possible. It's not a hard number and they're not claiming any records. Everyone's up in arms over nothing and it's a bit ridiculous to be honest.

I don't see the problem with them sharing what is possible. It's not a hard number and they're not claiming any records. Everyone's up in arms over nothing and it's a bit ridiculous to be honest.

You have to admit that this looks terrible right?

Porsche releases a new electric car that could only be seen as most competing with the Model S. They set a record with it at the 'ring. Tesla immediately gets its competitor to the same track and, without successfully setting a lap time, claims that they could beat Porsche... like... if things had gone differently, in some unspecified way. That's just sad... from a car company.

In my view, this has been a PR nightmare.

Porsche releases a new electric car that could only be seen as most competing with the Model S. They set a record with it at the 'ring. Tesla immediately gets its competitor to the same track and, without successfully setting a lap time, claims that they could beat Porsche... like... if things had gone differently, in some unspecified way. That's just sad... from a car company.

I don't see terrible. I see a badass car coming to the market next year. Can't wait.

PR nightmare comes from the media.

Judging by the unbelievable number of non-critical articles about the time and the fact that google searching "Porsche Taycan" produces a good amount Tesla Model S results....I'm not sure you're right.

It's like Bugatti with their 300mph run.
Because Bugatti has proven they can build the fastest road car, it follows that the 300mph run, while not official, is credible.

Similarly...

Because Tesla has produced extremely fast electric cars, it follows that a 7:20 nurburgring time, while not official, is credible.

Yeah, you use up some legitimacy capital and you can't go on making unofficial claims forever, but I think most people will be inclined to believe the Tesla lap is credible, even if it really isn't.

Judging by the unbelievable number of non-critical articles about the time and the fact that google searching "Porsche Taycan" produces a good amount Tesla Model S results....I'm not sure you're right.

Obviously there will be a sector of fans who will claim victory. But I think in general all they did was prove the Porsche has the upper hand at the moment in terms of performance.

the media
the media
the media
1223.gif

I don’t hate Elon, that was a mistake. The point was still Tesla sharing the info that the media “over blown”.

Honestly, you are so sensitive about this topic....
I think it's hilarious actually. Has made my week, that's for sure.

It's like Bugatti with their 300mph run.
Because Bugatti has proven they can build the fastest road car, it follows that the 300mph run, while not official, is credible.

Similarly...

Because Tesla has produced extremely fast electric cars, it follows that a 7:20 nurburgring time, while not official, is credible.

Yeah, you use up some legitimacy capital and you can't go on making unofficial claims forever, but I think most people will be inclined to believe the Tesla lap is credible, even if it really isn't.

There's a video of the Bugatti going 300 mph. Usually when manufacturers claim a lap time for the ring they post a video of the car doing it. Like Porsche did. Tesla doesn't claim to have done it, in fact it's pretty clear that they didn't. They just claim they could and don't explain why they didn't which makes the claim sound like an 10 year old that just lost a "magic: the gathering" tournament.

We could have won if our kicker hadn't missed that field goal and we'd gotten the on-side kick and thrown a touchdown in the last 5 seconds.

My golf game is technically better than Tiger Woods if you just take my best scores at each hole for the last 10 years.

Here's a live shot of Porsche right now:

source.gif

I guess, though it seems ironic for someone that claimed to be done with the convo and wasn’t defending anyone originally. :dunce:
Eh, sometimes I get a kick out of participating in squabbles over things that have zero meaning in our lives. :cheers:

There's a video of the Bugatti going 300 mph. Usually when manufacturers claim a lap time for the ring they post a video of the car doing it. Like Porsche did. Tesla doesn't claim to have done it, in fact it's pretty clear that they didn't. They just claim they could and don't explain why they didn't which makes the claim sound like an 10 year old that just lost a "magic: the gathering" tournament.

We could have won if our kicker hadn't missed that field goal and we'd gotten the on-side kick and thrown a touchdown in the last 5 seconds.

My golf game is technically better than Tiger Woods if you just take my best scores at each hole for the last 10 years.

Here's a live shot of Porsche right now:

source.gif

But the Data! The telemetry! The graphs!

Good article on why Tesla should focus on being a premium brand and not a mass-market company:

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/29960/teslas-hero-cycle-leads-to-nrburgring-confrontation-with-itself

The lead photo in that story:

Those panel gaps. :nervous::crazy:

It's not even that they are large (they are) it's that they appear so haphazardly placed. There was no period of refinement. If it was a building they would have skipped the whole "design development" phase, and went straight from concept to construction. That's the thing about Tesla. I feel like the cars are 80% baked. "Good enough" in terms of quality instead of "Good."

The lead photo in that story:

Those panel gaps. :nervous::crazy:

It's not even that they are large (they are) it's that they appear so haphazardly placed. There was no period of refinement. If it was a building they would have skipped the whole "design development" phase, and went straight from concept to construction. That's the thing about Tesla. I feel like the cars are 80% baked. "Good enough" in terms of quality instead of "Good."
Chassis prototype. I work for a manufacture, pre-prduction prototypes are never going to be anywhere near production level. Seems like nitpicking.

Considering how popular the brand is and how many cars they struggle to ship to buyers, I think your point it moot.

So being in over your head is now a valid excuse for shoddy build quality? I'll have to make sure I keep that in mind next time a customer complains about my companies work. :odd:

Good try though.

Sadly, I don't have to try all that hard to make Tesla look bad. It really is a shame too as I actually like their designs and want to see electric cars grow.

So being in over your head is now a valid excuse for shoddy build quality?
Never said that. All I said is that they are selling a lot of cars. AKA, people don't care as much as you'd think.

We have a couple Model 3's at my work. I've looked them over, they look fine to me.

AKA, people don't care as much as you'd think.

Oh I know people don't care, that's what makes it worse! I work HVAC, a vast majority of people I install systems for haven't the foggiest clue what they are looking at (much like most people with cars). That doesn't suddenly mean I can just do a half-assed job simply because they aren't concerned about it so long as everything works when I leave. It's up to me to make sure everything is as perfect as I can get it as even little things that seemed inconsequential can add up over time and form one giant problem down the road.

Back