Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,521 comments

What?
If Biden wants to build his campaign on the transition to EVs and praise particular companies for making it a reality, Tesla should be first in line, no ifs, ands or buts. He singled out GM as the supposed leader, while their only full EV they offered for the past few years turned out to be a safety hazard and the other one they just started offering sold a grand total of 1 unit in 2021 and is a massive, $100k+ truck that doesn't really scream "environmentally friendly".

It's simple - I'm no Tesla fan. The things I value in cars are quite the opposite of what Tesla focuses on. If I were in the market for an EV these days I would probably go with either the Mach-E, Ioniq 5 or EV6, but credit where credit's due - while the """market leader""" was crushing their EV1s, Tesla started a movement that dragged everyone back into EVs.

If Biden wants to build his campaign on the transition to EVs and praise particular companies for making it a reality, Tesla should be first in line, no ifs, ands or buts. He singled out GM as the supposed leader, while their only full EV they offered for the past few years turned out to be a safety hazard and the other one they just started offering sold a grand total of 1 unit in 2021 and is a massive, $100k+ truck that doesn't really scream "environmentally friendly".
What exactly was said about GM in singling it out as a supposed leader?
It's simple - I'm no Tesla fan. The things I value in cars are quite the opposite of what Tesla focuses on. If I were in the market for an EV these days I would probably go with either the Mach-E, Ioniq 5 or EV6, but credit where credit's due - while the """market leader""" was crushing their EV1s, Tesla started a movement that dragged everyone back into EVs.

'Kay.

What exactly was said about GM in singling it out as a supposed leader?
If only we had we had a widely-available tool allowing us to look up documents on the internet matching a particular query. Sure would be great.

Oh, wait.

If only we had we had a widely-available tool allowing us to look up documents on the internet matching a particular query. Sure would be great.

Oh, wait.

You're not interested in engaging in good faith discussion. Noted.

You're not interested in engaging in good faith discussion. Noted.
I don't think you are, since you still haven't provided a single argument other than "Tesla bad, Musk bad, Tesla fanboys bad". I guess your Internet must not be working correctly, so here's a quote from Biden:

“It starts here in Detroit. In the auto industry, Detroit is leading the world in electric vehicles. You know how critical it is. Mary, I can remember talking to you way back in January about the need for America to lead in electric vehicles. And I can remember your dramatic announcement that by 2035, GM would be 100 percent electric.

You changed the whole story, Mary, wherever you are. There you are. You did, Mary. You electrified the entire automobile industry. I’m serious. You led—and it matters—in drastically improving the climate by reducing hundreds of millions of barrels of oil that will not be used when we’re all electric.

You know, up until now, China has been leading in this race, but that’s about to change.”
Source: https://insideevs.com/news/548768/biden-says-gm-ev-leader/

I agree that's exaggerated. I think he's also in a moment of trying to basically prop them up in their own building; definitely isn't the place he'd suddenly reference what Tesla has greatly accomplished.

That said, Elon responding is typical Elon on Twitter. For whatever reason, the man's persona online comes across as just living for the attention & I think that rubs people the wrong way.

Last edited:
I agree that's exaggerated. I think he's also in a moment of trying to basically prop them up in their own building; definitely isn't the place he'd suddenly reference what Tesla has greatly accomplished.

That said, Elon responding is typical Elon on Twitter. For whatever reason, the man's persona online comes across as just living for the attention & I think that rubs people the wrong way.
He won't take peoples **** and that's one of the great things about him. 🙌

When people say GM isn't doing that much on the EV front, they tend to forget that they are a global manufacturer and indeed make (along with other partners) the best selling EV in China the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV. Which I think makes it the second best selling EV in the world.

I love how they get to beta test on public roads in spite of being dangerous to other drivers and especially pedestrians.

I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like a part of the car, rather some equipment the guy has for the teardown.
I think I agree. Looks like a hoisting bar.
1645136295519.png

1645136241758.png

Other than looking ugly and amateur, is there an issue with such a weld?
In this specific case of that specific weld, not that I can see.

If it were in a car with a front-mounted internal combustion engine, yeah there'd probably be issues, as the vibrations (especially that close to it) could cause welds that poor to fail over time - and drop whatever they're holding (looks like a light control module) into some spinning parts. That usually gets quite exciting quite quickly. In an EV you'd probably need to be routinely driving over cobbles at 55mph+ for a few thousand miles. I doubt it even needs a weld but it was probably cheaper than any other way of attaching two bits of box section.

Its only real issue is that it looks piss-poor and was signed off through QC, giving the impression that quality is only skin deep (or out of sight, out of mind). A customer is very unlikely to ever see it, but if they did they'd have good cause to wonder what else was done that badly on the things they're not supposed to see.

Which I think was the point the chap in the Tweet was making.

Its only real issue is that it looks piss-poor and was signed off through QC, giving the impression that quality is only skin deep (or out of sight, out of mind). A customer is very unlikely to ever see it, but if they did they'd have good cause to wonder what else was done that badly on the things they're not supposed to see.

Which I think was the point the chap in the Tweet was making.
This, pretty much. It's like moving into your newly built home and then going up in the attic and finding that some of the insulation in the roof wasn't fastened properly at the bottom.

Is your house going to fall down because of it? No. Would you normally have noticed it if you hadn't happened to be up there where you would see it? Probably not. Is it going to make you wonder if the builders cut corners elsewhere that you normally wouldn't be looking, and damage your confidence that you paid for quality workmanship? Yes.

Considering the same day Tesla's counsel filed suit against the US government for claimed 1st Amendment violations against Musk on Musk's behalf, a week ago Tesla was sued for systemic and pervasive racism at the Freemont factory, Tesla had already flouted similar public health orders that Musk was making Hitler comparisons about and Musk dared the government to do something about it, and you went out your way to note him being an asshole on Twitter as worthy of praise all of 20 posts ago, I'm glad after 20 years on this site you've finally got a sense of humor.

Has senpai noticed you yet, btw?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t quite put him in the same class as King, Kennedy and X. So, as outspoken as he may be, I think he’s safe.

Back