Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,539 comments
Mad fanboy w/ skin in the game is mad.
And apparently didn't bother to read the piece he linked to either.

Still, even if it weren't just cars new for this year (and the absence of the Y and updated 3 explained in the opener) is it not allowed to prefer the Ioniq to the 3, the Mustang to the Y, the Taycan to the S, or the iX to the X?

is it not allowed to prefer the Ioniq to the 3, the Mustang to the Y, the Taycan to the S, or the iX to the X?
It is heresy of the worst kind and will not be tolerated!

I do have to wonder what Tesla fanboys were expecting to happen once the big car manufacturers got serious about EV's. It will be fun to watch the inevitable meltdown when Tesla gets overtaken in sales.

It is heresy of the worst kind and will not be tolerated!

I do have to wonder what Tesla fanboys were expecting to happen once the big car manufacturers got serious about EV's. It will be fun to watch the inevitable meltdown when Tesla gets overtaken in sales.
Going to be a while.

I think it's hilarious that anyone in this country would openly want an American company to fail. Seems to me like you have nothing better to do that hate on them because it's popular to do so. 🤣 Maybe some of you should find new hobbies or take a break from social media. It's clouding your judgement.

Maybe some of you should find new hobbies or take a break from social media

You literally went to "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" in the status updates... in favour of never breathing fresh air, never drinking fresh water, never feeling the sun on your face (without a space suit) and never being able to see anyone you knew again, and that's if you survive the trip... because other people aren't drinking the same flavor kool-aid as you...

... have you considered that you need a break from Musk's influence?

Going to be a while.
Is it going to be tomorrow? No.

But I have a hard time seeing them still being on top a decade from now with the resources mega companies like Toyota and VAG have at their disposal.

I think it's hilarious that anyone in this country would openly want an American company to fail.
Where did I say I want them to fail? :confused:

I love seeing American companies thrive, but only when it's because they provide a genuinely good product that stands up to what the rest of the world is making.

Seems to me like you have nothing better to do that hate on them because it's popular to do so. 🤣 Maybe some of you should find new hobbies or take a break from social media. It's clouding your judgement.
Says the guy who goes nuclear anytime someone dares say something negative about Elon...

I still find it funny that you endlessly stan over Elon and Tesla, yet drive a Hyundai... Surely if his cars were so great you would own one? I get they're expensive but it seems you could afford it considering how much you've done to your Elantra.

uh huh, it's totally the case that people only hate on Elon because it's the popular thing to do, not because he's an actively moronic (and with recent charges, racist) CEO who rubber stamps off cars that are either shoddily built, given features that do not deserve to be on the open road and still actively needing testing, or generally overshoots on promised features or wants for his vehicles before quietly pulling them back, and is also the megaphone for an otherwise insufferable fanbase who, as shown in this thread time and time again, are unable to look at his or their own vehicles objectively.

my friend, you need to do as the kids say and 'touch grass' because for someone to ride Elon this hard is very much pathetic.

... have you considered that you need a break from Musk's influence?
Clearly some in here need to stop watching the mainstream news.
Where did I say I want them to fail? :confused:
It's pretty obvious.

I still find it funny that you endlessly stan over Elon and Tesla, yet drive a Hyundai... Surely if his cars were so great you would own one? I get they're expensive but it seems you could afford it considering how much you've done to your Elantra.
1) Money
2) I'll give up my nice sounding car with a manual transmission when someone pries it from my cold dead hands.

not because he's an actively moronic (and with recent charges, racist) CEO
And there you have it.

who rubber stamps off cars that are either shoddily built
Yes, he's standing at the end of every production line stamping an OK on each car that rolls off of it.

my friend, you need to do as the kids say and 'touch grass' because for someone to ride Elon this hard is very much pathetic.
Oh there's something like that around here and it's not me.

It's pretty obvious.
Look, you've been here long enough, you know this isn't how debating here works. Stick to what people actually say, not what you think they mean.
1) Money
2) I'll give up my nice sounding car with a manual transmission when someone pries it from my cold dead hands.
So why are you so bloody defensive over Tesla since it seems the product they make is in fact the exact opposite of what you want? If anyone here wants them to fail it should be you since the more successful Tesla is the sooner your nice sounding car with a manual transmission will go the way of the dinosaur.

Also, thanks for the poo emoji's, you're too kind! đź‘Ť

Mad fanboy w/ skin in the game is mad.
That might be true but honestly the Model 3 and Model Y are easily better cars overall than half the cars on that list, especially their own segments. And it's not close. That's just a fact.

I also see they didn't include the Lucid Air which is miles better than the Taycan, E-Tron GT, or EQS. And it's not close.

Also I'm not sure why they're "looking forward" to the Lightning. I saw two of them dawdling around Detroit last weekend. One of them had a toolbox on the bed.

Last edited:
That might be true but honestly the Model 3 and Model Y are easily better cars overall than half the cars on that list, especially their own segments. And it's not close. That's just a fact.

From the article in question that people seemingly refuse to read yet comment on anyways...

Oh, and since we know a lot of you Tesla fans are wondering why we didn't include anything from that brand here, it's pretty simple. There's a lot to like in the Model Y that we're leasing (yes, we're paying for it), but as we noted in our Model Y review, the phantom braking issue is a complete deal-breaker. As-is the car is unsafe and unpleasant to drive and we've heard from plenty of Model 3 owners with the same issue. Once Tesla issues a comprehensive fix, we'll update our review and this list.
Also I'm not sure why they're "looking forward" to the Lightning. I saw two of them dawdling around Detroit last weekend. One of them had a toolbox on the bed.
Probably because the truck literally just went on sale so they're looking forward to seeing how it does in the general public's hands?

From the article in question that people seemingly refuse to read yet comment on anyways...

Probably because the truck literally just went on sale so they're looking forward to seeing how it does in the general public's hands?
I don't really understand those complaints and I assume they're made in the context of Autopilot's performance over the years. For example, having driven many Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans with adaptive cruise, I would also consider those to commit "random braking" that I considered unnecessary and dangerous while driving them. Honda and Toyota were particularly bad, to the point where their adaptive cruise causes more problems in traffic than it solves. But is that complaint-worthy? Not really, because it's the best those OEMs have to offer lol. Autopilot is considerably more intelligent and predictive than any other OEM's tech except GM's Supercruise, so any fault in the system is seen as complaint-worthy.

Road Show is overreacting to media reports, and the NHTSA is overreacting to consumer reports. Tesla is under constant scrutiny primarily due to their industry-changing success and the amount of money they've got flowing.

Screenshot_20220221-090506_Twitter.jpg

This is one of the things that sets this company apart from the others.

Well unfortunately for me I'm blind, but that doesn't change the fact that the Air is objectively better in virtually all measures but still lost. I assume because the reviewer lost money on Lucid stock. It also doesn't look like a shiny potato despite being painted the color of a potato.

Last edited:
Well unfortunately for me I'm blind, but that doesn't change the fact that the Air is objectively better in virtually all measures but still lost. I assume because the reviewer lost money on Lucid stock. It also doesn't look like a shiny potato despite being painted the color of a potato.
Car reviewers don't need monetary incentive from a manufacturer to prefer one car over another, even where they're "objectively better" and they prefer the one that isn't.

Back in 2015ish when I drove the Golf V-based Scirocco and the Golf VI GTI, I preferred the Scirocco even though the Scirocco is worse in every measurable aspect - and based on the older Golf platform - than its sibling.

I liked the Scirocco more because, like so much else in the VW stable, the Golf was a bean-counter's dream: exactly as competent as it needs to be in every aspect to cover every base with every customer. The Scirocco was not. It was fundamentally reworked so that, in places, the complete competence of the Golf was compromised in the name of design flair and thematic nods to history. The Scirocco was a deliberately more **** car than the Golf, and that appealed to me more.

I don't know why whoever reviewed the cars preferred the EQS to the Air - I've never been near either, and having now seen images of both I don't want to either - but they did.

It seems like the Lucid only "lost" because it's lacking in luxury compared to the Merc. They give it love.
The Lucid Air is impressive in a whole bunch of ways. It may not have the automatic staying power of something like the Mercedes EQS, but Lucid's clever engineering is not to be trifled with.

First and foremost, the Lucid Air is one of the longest-range EVs you can buy today, with a max range of 520 miles in the right specification. Throw in a whole load of solid design elements inside and out, mix that with a cushy ride quality and some comfortable seats, and you've got quite the luxury electric stew goin'. We'll have to wait and see if Lucid can come through with its promise to deliver as many trims and configurations as it wants, but for now, we remain pleased with what we've experienced thus far.
The Mercedes-Benz EQS is, simply put, an amazing electric luxury car. It takes all the coddling comfort found in the gas-powered S-Class and gives it a dash of electromobility. Even in its EQS450 Plus trim, there's more than enough acceleration on tap, and it doesn't mind tackling corners with aplomb -- although an upcoming AMG variant does offer something sprightlier from the factory. And then there's the tech, featuring the dashboard-spanning Hyperscreen, which needs to be seen to be believed.

The Lucid is gorgeous, but they make a point. There's only 4 trims & the interior design of the car while nice, does fall a bit short of Merc's usual flair. I'm not up on every little feature Lucid has, but I do know the EQS has a ton of tech. to the point it feels excessive & seems more like a big Apple accessory than a car, imo. Which is why I'd prefer the Air.

It seems like the Lucid only "lost" because it's lacking in luxury compared to the Merc. They give it love.

The Lucid is gorgeous, but they make a point. There's only 4 trims & the interior design of the car while nice, does fall a bit short of Merc's usual flair. I'm not up on every little feature Lucid has, but I do know the EQS has a ton of tech. to the point it feels excessive & seems more like a big Apple accessory than a car, imo. Which is why I'd prefer the Air.
I can't speak for the Lucid, but I sat in an EQS at my local dealer the other day, the top of the line one, and boy was it a special place. I felt like a king in there haha.

These southern states just looooove their dealership lobby.

As much as I oftentimes detest Elon Musk (though his Ukraine actions redeemed him somewhat) I do appreciate the company Tesla, and it's good to see they are still invested in the Bay Area.

Last edited:
I'm driving a Model 3 at work this week. This is actually the first time I have driven one. Its a long range dual motor. Yesterday I scanned the thing top to bottom, front to back, and the only quality issues I found were an a-pillar panel inside that doesn't meet up with the roof panel very well, and it has a rattle on the passenger side somewhere. Other than that, it looks fine to me. 🤷‍♂️ Removed the under panels (bolts had loctite on them which surprised me) and looked around, everything seemed top notch.

As far as how it drives, its no Plaid but its still damn quick. Wind noise is good,, road noise not terrible. Seats are super comfy, and it took me a bit to figure out how to work the radio and HVAC, but I've got it down now. I like some of the little details inside like the magnets that hold the visors in place and the vanity mirror covers. No real complaints here, would definitely consider one for a daily at some point.

These southern states just looooove their dealership lobby.

As much as I oftentimes detest Elon Musk (though his Ukraine actions redeemed him somewhat) I do appreciate the company Tesla, and it's good to see they are still invested in the Bay Area.
Probably, for me, the most bizarre thing about Elon putting his giant factory in Austin. Car is built here in Texas, but has to be legally sold out of state for Texans to get them.

Last edited:
Pssh, big deal. We had that back in the '60s!

ERDP47y.jpg

Though I guess the Squanglebrick doesn't have to worry about water seizing up the engine, which happened to most Amphicars, so... improvement, I guess?

Last edited:
This would have to be old news.

This thing would have a range of like 50 miles at best lol. It's considerably heavier than a boat of comparable size and it's electric. Boats use tremendous engines to achieve mediocre speeds for a reason, because water is dense as hell, and their weight is directly related to how much power and fuel they're going to burn to achieve those speeds. It's going to take such a huge amount of power from these batteries to get this thing moving it won't even be funny.

This thing would have a range of like 50 miles at best lol. It's considerably heavier than a boat of comparable size and it's electric. Boats use tremendous engines to achieve mediocre speeds for a reason, because water is dense as hell, and their weight is directly related to how much power and fuel they're going to burn to achieve those speeds. It's going to take such a huge amount of power from these batteries to get this thing moving it won't even be funny.
They should have made it a hydroplane.

Imagine the range anxiety accociated with a heavy, probably unwieldy, boat. It's one thing getting stuck by the side of the road with nowhere to charge your car within miles. Getting stuck in the middle of a body of water at mercy of tides is another level.

Back