Tharain's Tuning Temple / NSX-R Proto LM Road Car tune released (updated 24/01/11)

• Thread starter Tharain
  • 255 comments
Tharain, I'm pretty new to these forums, but I've been using your tunes for the CTR2, Furai, and Minnolta for most of my races in A/B spec. Just wanted to say thanks! Keep it up man! I just got a Formula GT today and time to test it out haha.

S2000 GT1 Turbo.

Tuning: to the max (471kw/1120kg/62.4km driven)

Aero: 20/50

Transmission: depending on track / max @ 350kmh seems quite good

LSD: 45/30/30

Suspension:
Height: -18/-18
Springs: 14.0/13.0
Dampers (Ext): 7/8
Dampers (Com): 6/7
Anti-Roll: 5/6

Camber: 1.3/0.9
Toe: 0.10/0.00

Brakes: 8/7

Full comparison of all 3 tunes here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4634533#post4634533

Knowing I had 3 tunes to compare tonight, I ran 5 laps on the stock set up to get a feel for the car.
Test Track 1: Laguna Seca
Stock Lap: 1:21.546
This put the S2000 to the top of my time list, albeit small, above my SLS, Gallardo and LFA. A good indication of what this car has to offer. My first thought was... Holy $4!7 that wing is huge! It has an odd tendency after you let off the brake, to dive hard into the apex on entry, which was... too dramatic to take advantage of. Other than that, the car had good grip, turned well, seemed rather balanced and very quick.

Then I put on the Tharain tune.
1:20.824

A solid pick up, and while the car seems solid in most aspects, the hard dive when letting off the brake, has increased. It almost forces you to either, just let the back end slide, sacrificing your grip, or you have to get back on the gas, prior to letting off the brake, which forces the car to understeer, which then kills my exit, not to mention negates any possible repetition or consistency. Other then that, the car seems a little unstable on hard braking, leading into turn 1, as well as the uphill braking point towards the tight ess. Exit, seems like it was a touch on the tight side. Entry and center were pretty solid with the exception of the off braking issue. On gas, you can really see the back end squat, which makes me think the rear springs might be too soft.

Test Track 2: Deep Forest Raceway
Best Lap: 1:07.884

Better braking ability here proves to be a benefit for the first corner of the track. But it seems as if anytime the car gets pitched sideways when entering into a mid speed corner hard, that loss of traction is far too detrimental to the overall grip of the car, and you pay the price for it in lap times. The car is still a bit tight on exit, noticeably so, as the tell tale tire sign shines bright red on that front right.

Thanks alot for this review, I recognized also some problems entering mid-speed corners and the front wheels loosing grip too fast... I'll work on it this weekend :)

Lets get ready for some serious speed, delivered by the Zonda R '09.

Man, thanks for this tune, it is simply amazing. I tried all other tunes I could find on these forums, and this one is crazy good. This tune should be illegal 👍

PS: I'd love to see your tunes for the following cars:

Veyron
Merc SLR McLaren (19 inch)
Chevvy Corvette ZR1

Will be on the lookout!

Last edited:
Why has this RX8 LM Race Car such low power?
I bough a RX7 LM Race Car today and to my surprise the only upgrade which was availible a stage 3 turbo added about 170kw. Rising its maximum power from 392kw to 562kw (oil change included) just with one upgrade.

Okay so I just tried out your Zonda R tune annnndddd......the wheels must be crossed together like a retard's eyes that was hit in the head with a baseball bat. Am I missing something here? The tune seems correct but how in the world do you get it to not spin out?!

I'm not a horrible driver, i've used many tunes on this forum but what gives on the Zonda?! I gotta be missing out on something....

Okay so I just tried out your Zonda R tune annnndddd......the wheels must be crossed together like a retard's eyes that was hit in the head with a baseball bat. Am I missing something here? The tune seems correct but how in the world do you get it to not spin out?!

I'm not a horrible driver, i've used many tunes on this forum but what gives on the Zonda?! I gotta be missing out on something....

I had the same issue with Tharains Zonda tune. Review here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4589332#post4589332
Adjusting the LSD to 20, 8, 5 made it much easier to control and resulted in lap times 2 seconds quicker. Try it out and let me know if it works for you as well.

Hey glad I wasn't the only one! I tried out your LSD settings and it made a little better. I think this car in general is tough to control, way too much wheel spin.

Hey glad I wasn't the only one! I tried out your LSD settings and it made a little better. I think this car in general is tough to control, way too much wheel spin.

Well, thats because we have a different driving style ;)
With the current setup I'm doing sub 6 minute on Nordschleife and I feel comfortable with it :P

Well, thats because we have a different driving style ;)
With the current setup I'm doing sub 6 minute on Nordschleife and I feel comfortable with it :P

yeah definitely! I liked your miata tune though.

But as for the Zonda, this car is impossible to use in an online lobby with tire ware.

This time I took a very special car ;)
There are so many different versions of it on the market making it very hard to choose but finally I had to make a choice and I'm glad it came by in the UCD :)

Welcome to the NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car.

nsxprotofinal.jpg

Notes:
Handles very smooth and is capable of sub 6:20 on the Nordschleife :)

Tuning: to the max (499kw/1230kg/152.9km driven) - Test - Center - Results

Aero: 35/60

Transmission: depending on track / max @ 360kmh seems quite good

Torque Split: n/a

LSD: 45/25/30

Suspension:
Springs: 14.0/13.5

Camber: 1.4/0.8

Brakes: 7/5

Feedback as always welcome :)

I guess they don't work that well because you can adjust the throttle more sensitive with pedals but let me know if they suite you or not :)

For me none of them work too well - but that's no reflection on the particular tune. I find subtle throttle control just about impossible with the DS and will be sourcing a wheel as soon as possible.

These tunes work great for me and my ds controller. The trick is to remap the keys to use the analog right and left triggers for the throttle and brakes. This gives you much more sensitivity than the buttons. I am sure they are faster with a wheel - but they are still great with a controller!

You bought this one in the UCD? I bought one in the NCD and race modified it, very sweet but underpowered.

Can someone confirm if all these set ups works fine using a Dualshock 3?
Using the "sticks" is like driving your first cart you made as kid that had rope attached to the steering. Save your money and buy a wheel.There is no comparison between a wheel and a controller.:sly:

These tunes work great for me and my ds controller. The trick is to remap the keys to use the analog right and left triggers for the throttle and brakes. This gives you much more sensitivity than the buttons. I am sure they are faster with a wheel - but they are still great with a controller!

You bought this one in the UCD? I bought one in the NCD and race modified it, very sweet but underpowered.

Yes if you are going to use a controller remapping it to use the L2 for brake and R2 for gas is the way to go.Better throttle response and better braking using this setup.Save up and buy a wheel,trust me there is nothing like it.

This time I took a very special car ;)
There are so many different versions of it on the market making it very hard to choose but finally I had to make a choice and I'm glad it came by in the UCD :)

Welcome to the NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car.

nsxprotofinal.jpg

Notes:
Handles very smooth and is capable of sub 6:20 on the Nordschleife :)

Tuning: to the max (499kw/1230kg/152.9km driven) - Test - Center - Results

Aero: 35/60

Transmission: depending on track / max @ 360kmh seems quite good

LSD: 45/25/30

Suspension:
Springs: 14.0/13.5

Camber: 1.4/0.8

Brakes: 7/5

Feedback as always welcome :)

Hey Tharain,

Just dropped by to say thanks for the tune settings. NSX handles waaaaaaaaaay better now. Little to excitable coming out of corners but that can be attributed to less sensitive accellerator control on my part thanks to my DS3 controller.

Looking forward to more great tunes to come.

Badmoon

Thanks for the feedback :)
I'm not surprised you have some problems with a DS3... just adjust the LSD and perhaps soften up the suspension a bit and you should be good to go :)

He it comes... a monster with over 1000 horsepower!
What do you expect? This car has so much power you have to adjust your driving style alot! Brake earlier and harder!

The speak is of the Viper SRT10 ACR '08.

viperfinal.jpg

Notes:
Brake earlier and harder as usual! Be aware of its power...!

Tuning: to the max (752kw/1257kg/83.4km driven) - Test - Center - Results

Aero: 10/40

Transmission: depending on track / max @ 400kmh seems quite good

LSD: 40/30/30

Suspension:
Height: -20/-20
Springs: 9.5/9.5
Dampers (Ext): 7/7
Dampers (Com): 5/5
Anti-Roll: 7/7

Camber: 3.0/3.0
Toe: 0.00/0.00

Brakes: 8/7

This tuning can still be optimized I think but for now it is quite solid as I've tested it alot on the Nordschleife and it is capable of sub 6:20 easy!

Good tune, and I can tell it's been tuned on the Nordschleife. I tweaked it a bit for my tastes, but revert back to your tune when running the Nordschleife. Surprisingly stable there.

Here's my review of the tune though in races on smoother tracks. I found that the weight of the car was the biggest issue with turning. Forward momentum was keeping the car from diving into a corner. The car just kept sliding forward, but once the speed was stabilized the car was pretty nimble. Nice job on the understeering monster.

I tweaked mine, using your tune as a template, to keep the weight shifted more rearward instead of pounding the front of the car into the pavement. I did this by reversing the brake bias, and dropping the rear extension and compression by 1. This of course will cause more understeer, which I combated by increasing the rear spring rate to about 12.5 (I'm going by memory here). The car is pretty nimble now, but still needs a good amount of time to slow down. But it dives into the corners much better without the aforementioned sliding. Seems to keep a more even distribution of weight among the 4 wheels when braking.

However, on the Nordschleife, it's a bear to control with my adjustments, so I reverted back to yours. Not many times on the Nordschleife are you trying to bring 200 mph down to 50, so the hard braking is less important than the overall stability at speed.

Thank you for your time on the tune. I spent a lot of time trying to tweak tunes for this car, and yours is the first I found that gave me a good enough template to adjust to my tastes.

Oh, and who do you blame when this happens?

Nrburgring24h.jpg

The guy that gave you the tune, of course. :sly:

I'm starting to level out here a bit. I swear I was damn near vertical at the launch point. The game glitched and wouldn't let me take a photo earlier than this.

You know where this happened, and no, I didn't recover from it. :crazy::scared::dunce:

Other than going airborne there, I will say that this tune kept me pace for pace with the brutal xjr-9 (that damned Jaguar in the Dream Car championship) throughout the entire 3 laps of Nurburg.

TharainI recently won the Toyota Minolta 88c Race Car and found your tune for it, so I set it up according to your tune...well sir, all I can say WHAAAATTTT!?!? Dude, that car is a beast and your tune is awesome!! I went back to the tune shop to see if I could add a bit more hp...well, I most certainly found more juice. I was able to upgrade the turbo to a stage 3. The result? I'm sittin' on 1040 horses of pure fury. Man oh man, that thing is crazy. It's still a bit loose in the butt, but I think that might be more my driving style. I'm a little heavy on the gas coming out of corners so I try not to get on it til I'm pretty straight. On the Dream Car race at Daytona, I was wide open the whole time, hitting 237 mph. My best lap was 39.658. At De La Sarthe my best so far is 3:22.214. Nice tune man, nice tune! Any advice about trying to get the rear-end under control? Also, I don't suppose you have a tune for the Toyota GT One race car do ya?
Kudos to you!

Back