That sinking feeling....

• Thread starter Docker Al
  • 46 comments
Australia
Perth
You only get one or two nights per week to jump online.
You check your phone and it looks like 'Tokyo' thump, thump, thump, crap track X or 'Streets' of even worse 'Willow Springs'.

Both with inappropriate cars.

How many FPS fans come home after a hard week at work to discover their favourite shooter isn't worth playing tonight?

Why do PDI continue to dish up trash, unpopular tracks?

How can you expect to attract and retain new players when they are regularly faced with tracks that provide a garbage gaming experience?

Given PDI's insistence on regurgitating rubbish tracks over and over the only solution is to expand the daily roster to at least 5 options.

Whatever the track you’ve still gotta try and win or finish as well as you can
It’s not as if on their screen it’s a different circuit or something
Just learn the tracks some of the odd combinations can be either most challenging or fun.
It’s more about competition and racing than anything else whichever car or track combo

Most F1 drivers hate a lot of tracks... but they don't quit, they try their hardest anyways. Also, a ****ton of CS:GO players hate Dust and also whine about it.

How can you expect to attract and retain new players when they are regularly faced with tracks that provide a garbage gaming experience?

My son ran his very first sport race last night. He went with the Gr.B at Streets of Chaos. He finished 5th only because everyone behind him was out surveying the terrain. He didn't have fun, and went back to arcade mode.

It’s why I quickly ditched Sport mode. Imo it’s mlre enjoyable to sign up to more open and relaxed leagues on here and then time spent lapping alone feels valuable and the time and speed gained feels good.

You check your phone and it looks like 'Tokyo' thump, thump, thump, crap track X or 'Streets' of even worse 'Willow Springs'.

How many FPS fans come home after a hard week at work to discover their favourite shooter isn't worth playing tonight?

Given PDI's insistence on regurgitating rubbish tracks over and over the only solution is to expand the daily roster to at least 5 options.

Well not everyone views those tracks as crap. Now there much be a reason why you view some tracks as crap. My first guess would be they are harder to put down a competiive fast lap or consistent laps. My second guess would be the way others seem to drive or handle those tracks during a race.

Everyone has their favorite tracks along with their least favorite ones.
When the rotation brings up tracks that are not a favorite then just take that opportunity to get better at them.
Over time some tracks that I didn't like at all in the beginning have become tracks I like running on because I made it a goal to get better at them.

Try taking a negative and turning it into a positive that will pay off in the long run.

Track selection does seem like it's deliberate to even out traffic throughout the week. Computer logic. I wouldn't be surprised if it was by design.

Sports mode is probably only really fun if you're top level or believe you can achieve top level. Otherwise it's just challenging. But GT is challenging. We all knew that going in. Existence is suffering. Not in a depressing way but in a Shinto Buddhist way.

I can't bear Panorama because I ll admit I'm utterly 🤬 at it ...I don't think I've driven a good lap on it yet so when I gold it on circuit experience I'll start racing on it. All the other tracks I've just got better at you can't pick and choose ...life isn't like that is it? Most of the complaints about tracks are flawed logic lol - just drive :cheers:

Well not everyone views those tracks as crap. Now there much be a reason why you view some tracks as crap. My first guess would be they are harder to put down a competiive fast lap or consistent laps. My second guess would be the way others seem to drive or handle those tracks during a race.

Everyone has their favorite tracks along with their least favorite ones.
When the rotation brings up tracks that are not a favorite then just take that opportunity to get better at them.
Over time some tracks that I didn't like at all in the beginning have become tracks I like running on because I made it a goal to get better at them.

Try taking a negative and turning it into a positive that will pay off in the long run.

I agree with your sentiment, but some how despite winning Tokyo Expressway in a Ford F-150 with a considerable lead over second place, still isn't very enjoyable for me.

I can't bear Panorama because I ll admit I'm utterly 🤬 at it ...I don't think I've driven a good lap on it yet so when I gold it on circuit experience I'll start racing on it. All the other tracks I've just got better at you can't pick and choose ...life isn't like that is it? Most of the complaints about tracks are flawed logic lol - just drive :cheers:
Dude, unless you're getting gold the Circuit Experience stuff with 96-97% times (if gold is 1'40", you should aim for 1'37"), you are still probably crap. I am the type of guy that NEVER got all-golds in the classic GT licenses and I got gold in all missions and circuit experiences with ridiculous ease. Not "humble bragging", trust me, I was genuinely concerned about the difficulty.

Yeah no there's no way I'm gonna race at a track I'm not good at
It ruins the race for me and for others. Like @die996 said, I'm genuinely concerned not only for you, but for the whole grid of players you'll be racing with if you think barely reaching gold at Panorama will suffice as competitive

I recommend, watching videos to learn the flat out portions on the uphill. Then, when you try to mimic those hot laps, start out by lifting off for just a moment before the flat out turns. From there you just slowly gain confidence until you can do that entire uphill section (from The Cutting to up to Skyline) without taking your foot off of the throttle.

On Murray's Corner and Hell Corner, focus on going in slow and leaving the turn with a maximum exit speed. The time lost braking too early is minimal compared to the massive time gains you can make by exiting the corner with maximum speed and the exponential effect of that on the straights. Don't touch the kerbing on either corner, they're too steep and will mess with your exit speed.

The downhill section can seem chaotic but just think about exiting to setup the next turn, rather than merely exiting for maximum speed. You big goal there is to again, exit the last downhill hairpin with a maximum exit speed line.

*Update: Actually, now that I think about it. I have a technique I use if I'm racing on a course that I haven't practiced on or that I'm just not good at. It's simply turning on cones and apex markers. From there, start breaking when your nose hits the double cone and turning once the rear of your car passes the turning point marker. Then match the rear of your car to the apex marker as well. Don't put the throttle back on until your nose reaches the apex marker and gradually fade it on, putting it flat somewhere between the middle of the track and the outer edge (depending on your car). This isn't the fastest way around the track but it is the cleanest and the late turns will actually keep you at a decent DR C level speed.

Last edited:
If there is a lineup that I don’t like in Sport Mode, I’ll usually just go to lobbies.

Wish there were a few ‘B’ races to choose from.

Nothing is wrong with any of the Willow Springs tracks. The issue seems to be some of the car choices for their one-makes. Some are spot-on, while others are head scratchers.

I agree with the OP about some tracks that PD chooses. I like Willow Springs just fine, even in GrB cars with Sport Soft tires. The problem I have is starting on the front 2 rows and getting punted halfway to the Nurb on the first corner, if I am lucky I will hit the wall and get a penalty to boot. :banghead::banghead:
Tokyo isn't much better where everyone is a brave late braker because the walls will help keep them on course thru the turn if you are carrying a little too much speed. I have tried practicing on Willow in arcade mode but for some reason even though you have all the settings proper the car drives quite a bit different than in sport mode, I have no idea why that is. I can practice in time trial in sport mode but that carries over to the race as a qualifying time so I am forced to start near the front. Maybe because I am DR B and the groups I am usually matched with but I just cant see how some people get their Sr S rating the way they hit everything in sight. There are some people who are incredibly fast with the DS4, then you have others that are almost impossible to pass because they are so unpredictable, you don't even know which way they will be going down the straights, put them in a GrB cars with Sport tires on Willow and you have the makings of a horror movie. Just sayin is all, others will have a different perspective, we are all unique or as for me special in my own kind of way. :odd::odd::odd:

I recommend, watching videos to learn the flat out portions on the uphill. Then, when you try to mimic those hot laps, start out by lifting off for just a moment before the flat out turns. From there you just slowly gain confidence until you can do that entire uphill section (from The Cutting to up to Skyline) without taking your foot off of the throttle.

On Murray's Corner and Hell Corner, focus on going in slow and leaving the turn with a maximum exit speed. The time lost braking too early is minimal compared to the massive time gains you can make by exiting the corner with maximum speed and the exponential effect of that on the straights. Don't touch the kerbing on either corner, they're too steep and will mess with your exit speed.

The downhill section can seem chaotic but just think about exiting to setup the next turn, rather than merely exiting for maximum speed. You big goal there is to again, exit the last downhill hairpin with a maximum exit speed line.

*Update: Actually, now that I think about it. I have a technique I use if I'm racing on a course that I haven't practiced on or that I'm just not good at. It's simply turning on cones and apex markers. From there, start breaking when your nose hits the double cone and turning once the rear of your car passes the turning point marker. Then match the rear of your car to the apex marker as well. Don't put the throttle back on until your nose reaches the apex marker and gradually fade it on, putting it flat somewhere between the middle of the track and the outer edge (depending on your car). This isn't the fastest way around the track but it is the cleanest and the late turns will actually keep you at a decent DR C level speed.

Thanks for the advice I'm getting better at it I'm only 100's of a sec off a decent time now (Gold) but far from hitting a consistent line each time might have to twiddle with car setup.

Dude, unless you're getting gold the Circuit Experience stuff with 96-97% times (if gold is 1'40", you should aim for 1'37"), you are still probably crap. I am the type of guy that NEVER got all-golds in the classic GT licenses and I got gold in all missions and circuit experiences with ridiculous ease. Not "humble bragging", trust me, I was genuinely concerned about the difficulty.
I hear you mate Golds not an issue on any this GT and I'm only playing on DS4 at the moment havent even got the wheel out however some tracks are easier than others you modest 🤬

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you mate Golds not an issue on any this GT and I'm only playing on DS4 at the moment havent even got the wheel out however some tracks are easier than others you modest 🤬
Jokes on you, I'm on a DualShock 4 (too poor for a wheel) and I'm always driving on automatic with weak ABS and TCS somewhere between 1 and 3.

Ermmm what joke would that be exactly?????????

Must be that he is alarmingly fast, probably top 5 in world, with a DS4 and all driver aids turned on I guess. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

If you have a wheel I would start using it ASAP, I bought a Fanatec after using the DS4 for 3 months, first time I ever used a wheel in any Gran Turismo, I had to learn to drive all over again. At first I was slow but after about 2 weeks I got my speed back and then some but I can drive with way more control now, I don't usually hit other cars while passing, not even through corners. Somehow I still get the penalty though when someone turns into me or shoves off track thru a turn, I have checked my replays and I do maintain my line, maybe the penalty system needs a little I'm thinkin. :lol::lol::lol:

In comparison to PCars2 and/or AC the driving physics are really bad. GTS is no simulation at all. After realising this I play GTS only because I have met here in the forum and in the game itself some nice and friendly people who like to race fair. My skills are not good enough to go online in PCars or AC but in GTS I am a low B. SR normally S Otherwise it makes me crazy if there isn’t a S.

How do you know that they are impopular ? Maybe they are more popular than you think and there is more online action when those tracks are there. It always amazes me how people live in a world thinking selfish like this.

AGREE!

Professional racing drivers are also paid to race the tracks they hate. Most of us play GTS for fun.
With the Penalty systems they have now - it's just NO MORE FUN! :nervous:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back