The 10th Anniversary of Enthusia

• Thread starter MXH
  • 50 comments
MXHyland said what I was going to say about GT4. I had already been playing Live for Speed when GT4, EPR, and FM1 were released, and EPR was the only one that could even compare to that PC sim. And next to LFS -- which remains to this day in a sort of alpha-development purgatory -- it was incredible to have a complete package like Enthusia. Maybe if I had only played GT3 instead of picking up LFS, I would have enjoyed GT4 more...but I have no regrets. LFS (and EPR) helped me on the path to develop my driving skills.

I was responsible for the Enthusia physics video JoaoSilva posted, and that was a followup to another video I made to demonstrate my complaints with GT4. Forgive the horrible compression, both videos are from YouTube's early years.
Except, when you slide a powerful car at 100MPH in real life you will spin, not the unrealistic physics of GT3 that let you slide at 250KM/H and you can keep going.
Given enough space and the right angle/line to take...

I played GT3 until I could no more. Then GT4: Prologue was a great appetizer for what was to come, I loved that litle game also. Then GT4 showed up and although it was HUGE it wasn't GREAT. I do have better memories of GT4: P than the ones I have of GT4.

When I bought Enthusia, I never went back to GT4 (only for comparison purposes). Best driving/racing game for the PS2 ... ever.

I never truly got into EPR back in the day and even now I own a second copy, but haven't really touched it since I got it roughly five years ago.

I love the car choice, the tracks are interesting compared to the usual suspects and the game progression is novel enough, but the car handling just doesn't satisfy me. It's sat looking at me right now as I found it the other day, maybe I'll try again.

VXR
I never truly got into EPR back in the day and even now I own a second copy, but haven't really touched it since I got it roughly five years ago.

I love the car choice, the tracks are interesting compared to the usual suspects and the game progression is novel enough, but the car handling just doesn't satisfy me. It's sat looking at me right now as I found it the other day, maybe I'll try again.

Well, I don't think I ever did try it again after this post, but having found it once again, this time I'm going to give it a third chance to woo me.

was responsible for the Enthusia physics video JoaoSilva posted, and that was a followup to another video I made to demonstrate my complaints with GT4. Forgive the horrible compression, both videos are from YouTube's early years.
Ah hah! I had a hunch that it was you! The posts you've made referencing Enthusia in some threads got me thinking it had to be. Those videos triggered 12 year old me. :lol:

With that said, I understand it now after playing GT4 with a more critical eye. However, I still don't agree with your old videos, I still prefer GT4 to Enthusia. I mean, Enthusia has better physics, but I just couldn't enjoy that game as much as Gran Turismo 4. Mainly due to things such as the career mode progression and how slippery some of the cars can be to drive.

Ah hah! I had a hunch that it was you! The posts you've made referencing Enthusia in some threads got me thinking it had to be. Those videos triggered 12 year old me. :lol:

With that said, I understand it now after playing GT4 with a more critical eye. However, I still don't agree with your old videos, I still prefer GT4 to Enthusia. I mean, Enthusia has better physics, but I just couldn't enjoy that game as much as Gran Turismo 4. Mainly due to things such as the career mode progression and how slippery some of the cars can be to drive.
:lol: My user title is a reference, actually.

The most difficult-to-drive cars in EPR seem to suffer more from heavy engine braking than the tire model itself. The effect is probably exaggerated in the worst cars, but from the Shelby Cobra to the Abarth 1000 they are all significantly easier to tame if you roll through corners in a higher gear and downshift at the exit.

Really looking forward to obtaining some of the more left-field additions to this game. The A6 Allroad, the Corolla saloon and the 2.5 X-Type for instance. Cars you just wouldn't expect to ever see in a Forza or even GT these days. Too often we get the performance variant and the 'lesser' cars are no less interesting, IMO.

How are the car sounds? I've really forgotten so much about this game as my PS2 gaming is so sporadic.

Damn. It's been already 5 years since I started this thread. Time sure flies by.

Enthusia is still one of the main reason I have my PS2 hooked up to this day and do play it occasionally. Though, I haven't progressed a lot in the last year or two with my personal project of levelling up all of my cars to level 10.

From a gameplay perspective, GT4 is undoubtedly better and definitely the reason why people remember it so fondly. GT Mode over Enthusia Life any day. EL is just far too complicated for your avarage player and I myself had to use @Wolfe's F.A.Q to navigate and understanding the game :embarrassed:

I do however take greater ''pride'' in completing every RS race, being KoTY and S-ranking all Driving Revolution challenges in Enthusia then (almost) finishing GT Mode in GT4.

The most difficult-to-drive cars in EPR seem to suffer more from heavy engine braking than the tire model itself. The effect is probably exaggerated in the worst cars, but from the Shelby Cobra to the Abarth 1000 they are all significantly easier to tame if you roll through corners in a higher gear and downshift at the exit.
Took me a short while to figure that one out, considering both of them are actively trying to kill you :P

VXR
Really looking forward to obtaining some of the more left-field additions to this game. The A6 Allroad, the Corolla saloon and the 2.5 X-Type for instance. Cars you just wouldn't expect to ever see in a Forza or even GT these days. Too often we get the performance variant and the 'lesser' cars are no less interesting, IMO.

How are the car sounds? I've really forgotten so much about this game as my PS2 gaming is so sporadic.
One of my favorite cars in Enthusia is the SAAB 9-5 '02. Outside of the older Toca games, I've never seen it elsewhere, only it's cousin, the 9-3.
Another addition that I thought I'd never in my life would enjoy driving is the 2002 Toyota FunCargo.

I'm sure that there are a few more that I'm forgetting but this game had a nice variety of vehicles and some ''firsts'' at the time it released.

USPRRzY.jpg

Sounds aren't exactly to brag about though. They are serviceable at best, I'd say.

Last edited:
:lol:My user title is a reference, actually.
It sure is, but I didn't want to make a full assumption yet. Mainly because well, anyone could have Wolfe as an username.

That's the thing, I am going to have to retrain my brain to drive like that everytime I replay it. but I can say something similar about other racing games like Project Cars 2 for instance.

MXH
rom a gameplay perspective, GT4 is undoubtedly better and definitely the reason why people remember it so fondly. GT Mode over Enthusia Life any day. EL is just far too complicated for your avarage player and I myself had to use @Wolfe's F.A.Q to navigate and understanding the game :embarrassed:
Same here, @Wolfe's guide was the only reason I was able to actually do a playthrough where I make major progress. The other thing that annoys me about Enthusia life is losing ranks whenever I you to switch cars. It's not too big of a deal when you're playing early on, but when I get to the top 50; that's where it becomes troublesome.

MXH
I do however take greater ''pride'' in completing every RS race, being KoTY and S-ranking all Driving Revolution challenges in Enthusia then (almost) finishing GT Mode in GT4.
The Driving Revolution challenges based on my memory were more fun than GT4's driving missions and license tests; I'll give it that.

I'm glad the FAQ was worth the effort! :cheers: It was greatly enhanced by some obscure details found in the BradyGames strategy guide (which I bought just to collect).

VXR
Individually recorded when they had the cars for analysis (as far as I can tell), but not with the best mixing or recording quality. In other words, accurate but average at best. Better than vacuum cleaners?

There are certain audio details many other games miss, like squeal from upgraded brake pads (I don't remember the tuning level off the top of my head), and strangely, the inclusion of a pedestrian warning noisemaker on the Toyota Prius when it shuts the engine off at parking lot speeds, of all things. That was a wild discovery -- I only heard it because I was curious about the hybrid simulation. :)

Individually recorded when they had the cars for analysis (as far as I can tell), but not with the best mixing or recording quality. In other words, accurate but average at best. Better than vacuum cleaners?

There are certain audio details many other games miss, like squeal from upgraded brake pads (I don't remember the tuning level off the top of my head), and strangely, the inclusion of a pedestrian warning noisemaker on the Toyota Prius when it shuts the engine off at parking lot speeds, of all things. That was a wild discovery -- I only heard it because I was curious about the hybrid simulation. :)
I appreciate that level of detail and I listen through headphones when playing for the sound experience, so that's promising at least.

Thanks Scaff, I'll leave here the comment I wrote in your YT channel

Great review, no surprise there! Have to say that, 15 years later, a few aspects of Enthusia still stand out in my memory, especially because when it came out they were a total novelty.

1. First, that you were rewarded "in game" if you were a clean driver. I hated those black flags with a passion when I thought them unfair, but all things considered I loved to have them, it was a feature that made me a better "PS2-wannabe-racer" (and possibly what, along with the physics, took me out of GT4 completely, a game where ramming the opposition was in fact rewarded)

2. The EL progression system, based on points, odds and all you mentioned as very confusing. It was, I agree. But, once understood, it was coherent and made perfect sense, so the career itself was in fact a journey, and the path was yours to make, considering types of tracks, types of cars and, of course, rewarding odds going about it the hard way, or safe wins that just about kept your progression going, at a smaller pace.

3. Related to it all, planning ahead was needed to reach the end of any game-year in a position that granted you a spot on the KOTY grid. And to win it was really satisfying. You could bragg about beating the game, but in fact the replayablity value of all it had to offer wouldn't make you shelve it afterwards.

4. And then, there was that intro ... a very dramatic one! :D

Thank you for your excellent work Scaff!

Enthusia Professional Racing just hit me in a way that I grown to love it more than most people give it credit for. I still think this is one of the most underrated racing games of all time. Perhaps as a Gran Turismo veteran, this game was able to do things better than even Gran Turismo 4. I remembered back in the old days of G4 TV, GT4 and Enthusia were debated on "Judgment Day." The verdict was that (indirect quote) "both games are disappointing, but GT4 slightly less disappointing." I was actually offended by that.

I enjoyed things like racing Marco Strada at night with the rain falling. It provided a beautiful sight. I loved racing tracks like Pacific Gateway and Löwenseering. You also could race Tsukuba in wet conditions with a full field- unlike GT4 having up to two on the wet Tsukuba track. Once here on GTPlanet many years ago, I said Enthusia doesn't have as much control in rally racing as I would like. And if you think the cars handle like they are on ice in this game, wait until you race Wintertraum. Besides the tracks, I was rather impressed with the different cars. Like how could hear a beep before shifting with some of the Mazdas.

There is just so much to Enthusia to where it could have been appreciated and respected more than what most people give it credit for- or lack thereof. It is a sim racing game, but while not on par with Gran Turismo or much better than the first SEGA GT, Enthusia really deserves more respect than what it got. Only thing I probably wished it had was a few more different racing vehicles. Like, how would formula-style cars work in Enthusia? I would absolutely recommend you get Enthusia to your PS2 collection if you are considering getting it. Even (now) 15 years later, Enthusia is a great game. Its legacy does sort of move on with some of Enthusia's tracks in "Road Fighter 3D." Anyhow- get Enthusia!

For the first time in years, I find myself coming back to EPR and not regretting the fact that nothing has come along that can peel me away from it -- because I have a whole new way of experiencing it. With the benefit of a proper mount for my old G25, and a proper setup altogether, I have finally gotten to the bottom of what I was missing in the FFB!

My #1 problem had always been straightening the wheel upon the conclusion of countersteer; I'd have to fight the wheel to prevent over-correcting, which is a pain. Revisiting this problem now, my first inclination was to try lowering the FFB strength, but that didn't help. Both "Low" and "Medium" don't communicate very much, either.

Tonight I revisited EPR to drive some of the many, many cars that cannot be found in other sims, and I tried the last solution -- setting the FFB strength to "High". That did it! Strangely, the FFB setting seems to put a cap on the rate at which the wheel is willing to spin. High strength is a little on the heavy side half the time, but it also loosens the FFB and allows the wheel to keep up with oversteer. :odd: Strange, but I'll take it!

Taking a L10 FD RX-7 in full drift mode (maximum stiffness and LSD lock) around Autumn Mountain for a trial run, it is night and day compared to "Low" or "Medium" FFB. It's still not the best FFB around, but boy, what a treat to have made it work for everything else this game offers. :bowdown:

I have more cars to try still, and I have played this game to death already, but EPR might be my go-to sim all over again. It's not like PCARS2 will let me drive a BL Legacy, RX-3, KPGC10, or AE86, to only name a few.

I ran a list of cars to confirm it wasn't a fluke, before beginning my dive through other parts of the car selection:
  • Caterham - Feels like driving the LX in Live for Speed
  • Shelby Cobra - Still a devil, but not because the FFB is getting in the way
  • Abarth 1000 - More understeer with a wheel than I expected; it bites when changing direction
  • Ruf CTR - No black flags for the Blackbird at Rev City
  • McLaren GTR; 787B - Fast and confident
  • Stratos - Firmly under control
Maybe this insight can help someone with a wheel like mine. 👍 I imagine it might not work out for a stronger wheel.

Wolfe are you using a PS2?
Yes, a fat one that replaced my last fat PS2 after its laser wore out. This one reads quickly enough to skip the menu and boot straight into the game after the splash screen, so it's in good shape.

I do have a PC powerful enough to emulate it now -- and ISOs for both EPR and the special New Impreza WRX STI Trial Version. With the FFB resolved, I intend to try it in widescreen HD.

I sill have a working PS2 (slim one) and, stored away, both a G25 (with pedal problems) and a G27 (good as new) from the PS3 era. They're not at my home in Lisbon, but I may dust all of it off next time I have a chance, just to try the G27+PS2+EPR combo and see how it feels.

PS - When I played EPR I did it with my first wheel (Logitech Driving Force, I think it was the GT3 official wheel some ... gulp ... 20 years ago!) :crazy:

Back