The 10th Anniversary of Enthusia

• Thread starter MXH
  • 50 comments

MXH

Money Pit Connoisseur
Premium
Sweden
Sweden
While searching for som Enthusia related stuff, I realized, today marks the 10th anniversary of Enthusia. It was released in Japan on the 17th of March in 2005 while the NA and PAL territories had to wait until May 3rd and 6th.

As for this thread, share your thoughts, best (or worst) memories of the game. But most importantly, let us cheer for another ten years!

:cheers:

Ten years, and I've been playing it this week. :) I'm actually entering my 20th year in Enthusia Life, having just come off from the Smart Fortwo into a Honda NSX on my slow journey to upgrade every car in the roster to Level 10.

I keep learning things, like how I only just discovered how the Fortwo corners like it's on rails around Wintertraum. I also continue to appreciate the finer details, like hotlapping cars with very similar specs on paper but distinct handling manners, which line up with how you would expect each car to feel. Even the AI has held up after all this time, particularly when it's at its very best, in RS category races with just the right matchup of cars. Racing doesn't get much better than some of the hard-earned finishes the odds system rewards you for trying.

The last time I picked up the game after not playing in months, I took the E30 M3 to a time trial on Marco Strada and decided to go drifting. On the standing lap I immediately cracked out a clean run that was good enough for a replay. The physics aren't perfect, but the game feels completely right, and that's what brings me back after the shine wears off of every new racing game since.

:cheers:

it really is a shame that Enthusia never really took of , it could have been as big as GT is. It was a good competitor to Gran Turismo 4.

I'd usually hop between the 2 games back and forth , ex: i'd take an R32 around the ring for 3 laps , then i'd switch to GT and do the same and compare it.

I have fond memories of this game.

A great game I never played but since watching CGR's video of it I always wanted to play it.

This game saved me from the huge disappointment of GT4. I was surprised it didn't become more popular. I still have it on my shelf though I haven't played it in years.

the huge disappointment of GT4

Really? Gran Turismo, in my eyes and I'm sure of many others, was the pinnacle of the GT Series and one of the best racing games of the PS2 Generation

This game saved me from the huge disappointment of GT4. I was surprised it didn't become more popular. I still have it on my shelf though I haven't played it in years.

GT4 was disapointing to you? I think it was the best in the series in terms of content and career mode.

I think it still is the best racing game out there overall.

Yes me too , my favorite by miles aswell. Enthusia was really good aswell , if only it launched before GT4 , then it could've take off. 10 years later , no words of a sequel , so the series will forever be dead i suppose...

Yes me too , my favorite by miles aswell. Enthusia was really good aswell , if only it launched before GT4 , then it could've take off. 10 years later , no words of a sequel , so the series will forever be dead i suppose...
GT4 is like the Lexus LFA - The perfect racing game made by a developer who don't know how to make a game that good again

Really? Gran Turismo, in my eyes and I'm sure of many others, was the pinnacle of the GT Series and one of the best racing games of the PS2 Generation
In terms of physics EPR still models things to this day that GT fails to do and while not perfect EPR's low speed physics better GT4. Try doing donuts in both and let me know what you think.

In terms of physics EPR still models things to this day that GT fails to do and while not perfect EPR's low speed physics better GT4. Try doing donuts in both and let me know what you think.
Well, I haven't played EPR. I never said EPR was a bad game, I was just kinda confused when he said GT4 was a dissapointment

GT4 was the worst for me, the car handling physics were the worst in the series, it was depressing after playing GT3 that it took such a huge step backwards and I almost completely lost interest in the GT series. The good thing is it made me search for better simulators and I found LFS on PC kept me satisfied for a long time.

GT4 was the worst for me, the car handling physics were the worst in the series, it was depressing after playing GT3 that it took such a huge step backwards and I almost completely lost interest in the GT series. The good thing is it made me search for better simulators and I found LFS on PC kept me satisfied for a long time.
Really? I thought GT4's physics were top notch for it's time. Much better than GT3's.

Really? I thought GT4's physics were top notch for it's time. Much better than GT3's.
Yep, I like to slide cars and drive beyond the limits and when you try driving like that in GT4 you will see it's completely unrealistic. Oversteer is mostly impossible except if you can trick the game into oversteer doing some unrealistic techniques. The Physics may simulate more in GT4, but the car behaviour is actually less realistic than GT3.

Yep, I like to slide cars and drive beyond the limits and when you try driving like that in GT4 you will see it's completely unrealistic. Oversteer is mostly impossible except if you can trick the game into oversteer doing some unrealistic techniques. The Physics may simulate more in GT4, but the car behaviour is actually less realistic than GT3.
Except, when you slide a powerful car at 100MPH in real life you will spin, not the unrealistic physics of GT3 that let you slide at 250KM/H and you can keep going.

Except, when you slide a powerful car at 100MPH in real life you will spin, not the unrealistic physics of GT3 that let you slide at 250KM/H and you can keep going.
It's possible to drift at any speed in real life without spinning, I don't know why you think 100MPH means you will spin.

It's possible to drift at any speed in real life without spinning, I don't know why you think 100MPH means you will spin.
It is not possible to drift at any speed without spinning. If you can show me a video showing a car drifting at 200MPH I will accept that you are completely right and that GT3 had better physics than GT4. Either way, GT4 isn't a drifting simulator

It is not possible to drift at any speed without spinning. If you can show me a video showing a car drifting at 200MPH I will accept that you are completely right and that GT3 had better physics than GT4. Either way, GT4 isn't a drifting simulator
I never said GT3 is perfect, just much more realistic than GT4.
Ok so why don't you show me a video of a pro drifter driving drift car and failing because the car won't go sideways when he drives like he normally does. :P

It's a driving simulator not an understeer only simulator.

I never said GT3 is perfect, just much more realistic than GT4.
Ok so why don't you show me a video of a pro drifter driving drift car and failing because the car won't go sideways when he drives like he normally does. :P
But we aren't all pro drifters are we? Also, don't forget you are talking about bare stock street cars and downforce focused race cars.

Yes I was a pro drifter, and learned to drift in bare stock street cars, a 2.0L volvo 740 with no LSD was the first car I learned to drift in. There were also D1GP professional drift cars in GT4 which still would not drift, besides using unrealistic techniques.

GT4 was a bloody fantastic game for its time, no doubt about it. The physics were a massive disappointment though. Its issues with over and understeer and tire model among other things became even more glaring once you stepped outside the GT bubble.

I still remember the joy of doing donuts and controlled drifts at the airport parking lot for the first time ever in EPR. It all seemed so alien up until that point.

Last edited:
While GT4's engine is doing more and its more realistic in terms of 0-60 times, etc and its actually models understeer to a better degree that GT3, it didn't do a great job with oversteer, particularity at lower speeds at all.

I did a comparions thread from GT through to GT4 ages ago that covers a lot of these pros and cons....

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...parison-across-the-series-part-2-added.70051/

....however on balance EPR gets more right more of the time (and it wasn't the only PS2 title in that regard, Richard Burns Rally did as well).

These two videos I did years ago.....

...illustrate a lot of it well. The Nissan is pulling of maneuvers that in a stock car you simply will not do in GT4 and the suspension droop and movement, particularly in regard to suspension travel on the Range Rover is simply far more accurate for the time.

But we aren't all pro drifters are we? Also, don't forget you are talking about bare stock street cars and downforce focused race cars.
GT4 introduced the 3rd generation Camaro to the series. The American teenager's introduction to power oversteer par excellence. And even it plowed like a dumptruck if you goosed it in turns.

Back