The '14 driver transfer discussion/speculation thread

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 607 comments
So I really am going to follow DR this year due to the reason he picked his number and because I think he can do good but mainly his reason for picking the number 3.

Frijns may end up at Caterham in one form or another, either as a driver or tester:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/199465/1/frijns-to-return-to-f1-fold.html

This source says he'll only be a test driver:
http://www.limburger.nl/article/20140113/SPORT01/140119295

Supposedly real close to putting down his signature. Good on him either way, deserves a foot in the door. Guaranteed testing days are rumored to be in the contract so he should be able to avoid the Valsecchi situation.

Johnny Herbert talks about next year's line ups:
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/9117193/herbert-reviews-2014-drivers

I don't think much of Joe Saward, given his vendetta against Vijay Mallya and his attitude of "I'm the only journalist in the paddock worth listening to", but I will give credit where credit is due - he is very good at connecting the dots in interesting ways and making a strong case for his findings. Two days ago, he posted one such story suggesting that Genii Capital is trying to purchase the remains of troubled car manufacturer De Tomaso. Saward suggests that Lopez and Lux are trying to find a new identity for the team, and are trying to secure backing from China to buy De Tomaso as part of an industry partnership as there are no real supercar manufacturers owned by the Chinese. It is all speculation, of course, but Saward does set out a pretty strong case for it.

I don't think much of Joe Saward, given his vendetta against Vijay Mallya and his attitude of "I'm the only journalist in the paddock worth listening to", but I will give credit where credit is due - he is very good at connecting the dots in interesting ways and making a strong case for his findings.

Saward's also in the bag for Max Moseley. That said, I agree with this.

I don't think much of Joe Saward, given his vendetta against Vijay Mallya and his attitude of "I'm the only journalist in the paddock worth listening to", but I will give credit where credit is due - he is very good at connecting the dots in interesting ways and making a strong case for his findings.

I'd tend to agree about this guy but his attitude is probably like that because most of the other so called journalists in F1 do nothing more than quote press releases.

Another thing is that he is an investigative journalist and therefore goes about things differently anyway.

Most publications at the moment seem to agree that Kobayashi will join Caterham, with Pic moving to Lotus as test driver. Ericsson or van der Garde will take the second seat, depending in which article you read.

Looks like Kobayashi's back!

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/caterham-sign-kobayashi

Not confirmed yet, but rumors are flying right now, seems quite likely.

Thank you for sharing my article, @Wardez!

Since then, however, Giedo van der Garde's sponsors have been removed from the website:

http://f1today.net/en/news/van-der-garde-out-at-caterham

Also, Team Prinicpal Cyril Abiteboul has confirmed Charles Pic's departure:

http://f1today.net/en/news/pic-to-leave-caterham-also

As stated in the article, Kravitz will be interviewing the new drivers tomorrow who are all-but-confirmed to be Kobayashi and Ericsson.

Last edited:
Caterham aren't very good at keeping secrets. They have obviously enjoyed riding the wave of publicity in the past.

Anyway, good riddance to Pic and van der Garde. Pay drivers might be a necessary evil, but for me, there is a special level of loathing reserved for these two (and Max Chilton).

The tiered nature of the feeder series means that no matter how much money a driver has, they need a minimum amount of talent before Formula 1 teams will consider them. If they need sponsors to get a seat, then they need to go out there and convince sponsors that it is worth supporting them.

But there is no such obstacle for Pic, van der Garde and Chilton. They have family members with plenty of money, so no matter how poorly they perform in the feeder series - and perform poorly they did - they can still get into Formula 1 because someone is willing to indulge their dream when others have to work harder, and still miss out.

Anyway, Pic is believed to be moving to Lotus as test and reserve driver, which is a bit odd because Lotus are believed to have finalised a deal with Saxo Bank they would put Marco Sorenson - who drove for them in Formula Renault 3.5 - in the car for FP1 sessions.

Am I the only one in the world that doesn't want another bumper car driver in F1? I never saw anything good about Kobayashi except a few qualifying performances :/

I do think people got a little carried away with Kobayashi Fever. I remember his move on Jenson Button at the 2009 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was voted as F1 Fanatic's Pass of the Year, even though Button had just emerged from the pits, fuel-heavy and on fresh tyres, while Kobayashi was at the end of his first stint. Given the circumstances, I could have made that pass. Yet somehow it was voted better than Button's move around the outside of Grosjean at Mergulho in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

So I think Kobayashi is a little over-rated. He deserves to be in Formula 1 on merit, but at the same time, I don't think he will ever get a race-winning car.

First time we almost agree with one thing. You were bashing Van Der Garde earlier. I think he deserves the Caterham seat more than Kob does. VDG improved race by race, I'd like to see how far he can go. Kob had his chance.

I find it odd that despite being the most recent GP2 champion, Fabio Leimer probably won't get any more than a test drive this season.

He wouldn't be the first - Giorgio Pantano and Davide Valsecchi also won the title, but missed out on a seat.
You were bashing Van Der Garde earlier. I think he deserves the Caterham seat more than Kob does. VDG improved race by race, I'd like to see how far he can go.
He has gone as far as he was ever going to. He was eligible to get a superlicence in 2008 when he won a Formula Renault title. It took him four more years to get into Formula 1, in which time he never won another title. He variously tried to get a seat with Spyker, Force India and Williams, and he is one of the only drivers McLaren has ever released from their young driver programme. He had no business being in Formula 1, and it is only because of his family connections that he was able to do it.

He has gone as far as he was ever going to. He was eligible to get a superlicence in 2008 when he won a Formula Renault title. It took him four more years to get into Formula 1, in which time he never won another title. He variously tried to get a seat with Spyker, Force India and Williams, and he is one of the only drivers McLaren has ever released from their young driver programme. He had no business being in Formula 1, and it is only because of his family connections that he was able to do it.
That's what I thought at the beginning of last season, but he actually started to improve so maybe there was hope? Maybe he didn't win a championship in those 4 years because he lacked motivation. All I know is, Kob shouldn't get the seat. Neither does Kovalainen(sorry). Either give it to someone that showed signs of improvement, or give someone new a try like Valsecchi. Drivers that got their chance and went no where shouldn't be getting so many chances.

No, he didn't win a championship in those four years because he wasn't very good. He and Charles Pic were team-mates at Barwa Addax in 2011, and both were in a prime position to win the title. Both of them collapsed almost simultaneously. He has had a small handful of passable performances in Formula 1, but whatever goodwill he earned was squandered by the way he tripped over other drivers on more than one occasion, like with Mark Webber in Canada.

And I have never been Kovalainen's biggest fan. He is a nice guy, but not a very fast guy, and he had clearly lost interest at the end if 2012. Besides, I have heard that he was in fairly serious talks with at least two teams - I have no idea who - when he got the call-up to race in lieu of Raikkonen, and that those teams lost interest after the final race as they felt he had seriously under-performed.

Sorry but VDG has had some brilliant wins in GP2 ,also had some very unfortunate technical retirements in that year,if i remember correctly he was on pole 2 times and his car failed(1 time clutch and 1 time gearbox)...so his performences where somewhat shadowed there!!

I think he is a better driver that he whas able to show last year,though he did show some good performances especially in the last half of the season,and that is in the 2nd worse car on the grid!

Yes he does have a money train in his family,but i assure you,he isnt the only 1 in F1.... then a lot more drivers should have nothing to do in f1 if they should only be there for raw talent!!

I really hope he gets another chance(yes yes,i am dutch so i am a bit biased i know... :-)).

Just read on twitter some rumers he wont get the drive tho...still rumers,hopefully some official statement soon!

Spy.

And when i wrote last post,its official:VDG will be test driver and reserve driver at Sauber this season... :(

Spy.

If your argument boils down to "he deserves his place in Formula 1 because of what might have been", then all you have done is proven that he never deserved his place to begin with. He should be judged on his achievements, not on what he might have been able to do if he had his time over. If it weren't for his family's money, he never would have made it to Formula 1 at all.

Also, di Resta is going back to the DTM.

Whether Kobayashi's race pace is as fast as made out or not, he will surely bring technical input to the fold that would otherwise be lacking with both VDG and PIC.

Ericsson's results in GP2 are comparable to Chilton's, (3 wins in 4 seasons, to Max's 2 wins in 3). Chilton's highest championship position was 4th as well to Ericsson's 6th. Much Meh here.

On Di Resta to DTM, good move for Mercedes who relied on Gary Paffett for the experience last year. Glad to see him leave F1 behind as well.

And EJ is pretty much, just need one more, right yet again:

lzgxPpc.jpg

Predicted 20 days ago.

EJ WAS WRONG D:

New look for the team!

UuQ5ZSQ.jpg

New look on their website:
http://www.caterhamf1.com/

Should look good on the car!

Welcome back Sweden!

This is the best news for me regarding the 2014 season. Kobayashi is my absolutely favourite driver, an absolute badass when it comes to overtaking. Not only he has guts, he's got the precision and skill to back-up his incredibly courageous overtaking manouvers. Here's hoping this is the stepping stone for a much more competitive team.

Back