The '14 driver transfer discussion/speculation thread

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 607 comments
Kamui Kobayashi is a great driver and also a very honest guy. He will drive for nothing, apparently saved for an entire year the money collected by his fans and "gave it" to Caterham, and he goes to the point of telling us Ferrari wanted to keep him, not only in GT but also in "simulator" work for the F1 Team. And from what he says I guess Ferrari wasn't expecting him to leave, but ... as he says ... it was HIS decision.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112216

Great guy, I wish him well, and do hope he brings Caterham their first point(s). Maybe reliability becomes a factor this year and he gets that elusive chance, who knows.

I'm officially a #10 fan this year :cheers: Go KK :gtpflag:

Well, Tony Fernandes is pretty much holding the team's future hostage - he has gone on the record as saying that if the team do not perform, then he will seriously consider walking away from it.

Everybody. Welcome to the Force India VJM07.

force-india-vjm07-first-look.jpg

Considering the existing thread was made for the 2013 season and has yet to be updated for 2014, I figured it'd be a good idea making a thread dedicated discussing to the driver/teams for the 2014 season.

-2014 Driver/Team lineups

Infiniti Red Bull Racing

1) Sebastian Vettel
2) Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes AMG Petronas
1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Nico Rosberg

Scuderia Ferrari
1) Fernando Alonso
2) Kimi Räikkonen

Lotus-Renault
1) Romain Grosjean
2) Pastor Maldonado

Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes
1) Jenson Button
2) Kevin Magnussen

Sahara Force India-Mercedes
1) Nico Hulkenberg
2) Sergio Perez (Confirmed 12/12)

Sauber F1 Team
1) Adrian Sutil (Confirmed 12/13)
2) Esteban Gutierrez (Confirmed 12/20)

Scuderia Toro Rosso
1) Daniil Kvyat
2) Jean-Eric Vergne

Williams-Mercedes
1) Valtteri Bottas
2) Felipe Massa

Marussia F1 Team
1) Jules Bianchi
2) Max Chilton (Confirmed 1/11)

Caterham F1 Team
1) Kamui Kobayashi (Confirmed 1/21)
2) Marcus Ericsson (Confirmed 1/21)

Some headlines for the 2014 season.
  • Sergio Perez has been let go from McLaren after 1 season. Will be replaced by Kevin Magnussen.
  • Mark Webber has retired from F1 and will be running in Porsche's new LMP1 program in the WEC. He will be replaced by Daniel Riccardo.
  • Kimi Raikkonen will be replacing Felipe Massa as the #2 driver at Ferrari
  • Felipe Massa will be replacing Pastor Maldonado at Williams.
  • Maldonado will be taking up the #2 spot at Lotus-Renault.
  • Williams will be using a Mercedes powertrain this season.
  • Marussia F1 will be using Ferrari powertrain this season.
  • Ross Brawn will be leaving the Mercedes F1 team.

I'll be updating the thread as more driver confirmations are made.

Link to the previous thread.

Hmmm, I'll be paying attn to that Caterham team this year. Kumai was good, and Ericson was a GP3 champ, so,...?

Hmmm, I'll be paying attn to that Caterham team this year. Kumai was good, and Ericson was a GP3 champ, so,...?

No he didn't win a GP3 championship, unless you were referring to the Japanese formula three championship but that isn't GP3. Other than that...I'm not sure what people see in him, I watched him in GP2 the past couple years and I wasn't impressed and his results reflect that to a person who didn't watch it.

Ericsson is believed to come with B2B opportunities that Tony Fernandes would be keen to take advantage of. One of his sponsors last year, Volito.Aero, is some kind of aerospace engineering group, which would tie in nicely with Fernandes' AirAsia franchise.

But Ericsson has apparently convinced someone at Caterham that he is worth it as Giedo van der Garde is said to have offered two million more Euros.

Ericsson is believed to come with B2B opportunities that Tony Fernandes would be keen to take advantage of. One of his sponsors last year, Volito.Aero, is some kind of aerospace engineering group, which would tie in nicely with Fernandes' AirAsia franchise.

But Ericsson has apparently convinced someone at Caterham that he is worth it as Giedo van der Garde is said to have offered two million more Euros.

Are you sure they are some Aerospace Engineering group, cause I've never heard of them and there website shows a more airline leasing investment company out of Europe. A company dealing with Airbus planes by selling or leasing, but nothing as far as actual Aero Engineering is concerned.

I don't think we've necessarily seen the last of driver changes for 2014, as it's entirely possible Vergne doesn't finish the season with STR. Likely he's been kept on as insurance against Ricciardo falling on his face at RBR, and as a gauge for Kvyat's performance. If Ricciardo and Kyvat both meet or exceed expectations, I'd expect Vergne to be replaced mid-season by da Costa. In any event, this is likely Vergne's last season with STR.

I don't think we've necessarily seen the last of driver changes for 2014, as it's entirely possible Vergne doesn't finish the season with STR. Likely he's been kept on as insurance against Ricciardo falling on his face at RBR, and as a gauge for Kvyat's performance. If Ricciardo and Kyvat both meet or exceed expectations, I'd expect Vergne to be replaced mid-season by da Costa. In any event, this is likely Vergne's last season with STR.

It usually has to be a large reason (money) to change a driver mid-season. I agree that it is likely Vergne's last season at STR though, and that Da Costa would be the likely candidate if he a) churns out better performances than last year and b) doesn't see his future playing out in touring cars.

So Sam bird stays in Gp2 w/ Colletti? And the best overall driver from Gp2 last year F. Nasr? Swear the teams need money over finding the next Vettel'

So Sam bird stays in Gp2 w/ Colletti? And the best overall driver from Gp2 last year F. Nasr? Swear the teams need money over finding the next Vettel'

Nasr's sponsor went bankrupt, and with it any chance he had of getting into F1. Colletti was catastrophically bad in the second half of the season, and Bird failed to take the chance and win the title despite being a GP2 vet. Frankly, nobody in GP2 last year deserved a spot on the grid.

Nasr's sponsor went bankrupt, and with it any chance he had of getting into F1. Colletti was catastrophically bad in the second half of the season, and Bird failed to take the chance and win the title despite being a GP2 vet. Frankly, nobody in GP2 last year deserved a spot on the grid.

Yes I agree with all these, Coletti did fall off late season so he will be my most watched Gp2 driver of the pack coming this 2014 season, but I though Mclaren was all over Sam Bird since he was British. I mean he got a seat at the young drivers program before he started getting better race finishes and all that so I thought he might jump up. Personally I didn't think he Sam is ready yet, it was Nasr who stood out to me. that's why I was surprised Colado had a seat at the young drivers test, that guy had did nothing not by time the Silverstone test came around. Matter of fact the young drivers test had a bunch of 2nd rate drivers so I figure money was involved over talent. I was like here we go again all the 2nd rate drivers are getting picked again. I know Coletti fail off but I expect him to be a treat on track this year as long as his Gp2 ride is a competitive Team

Yes I agree with all these, Coletti did fall off late season so he will be my most watched Gp2 driver of the pack coming this 2014 season, but I though Mclaren was all over Sam Bird since he was British. I mean he got a seat at the young drivers program before he started getting better race finishes and all that so I thought he might jump up. Personally I didn't think he Sam is ready yet, it was Nasr who stood out to me. that's why I was surprised Colado had a seat at the young drivers test, that guy had did nothing not by time the Silverstone test came around. Matter of fact the young drivers test had a bunch of 2nd rate drivers so I figure money was involved over talent. I was like here we go again all the 2nd rate drivers are getting picked again. I know Coletti fail off but I expect him to be a treat on track this year as long as his Gp2 ride is a competitive Team
First off, Sam Bird wasn't in the McLaren young driver program, he was Mercedes' 3rd driver and obviously couldn't test since they were banned from attending. Secondly Calado has no money so it played no part in him being at the test and eventually becoming Force India's test driver. Honestly, I don't understand what you see in Nasr. The only thing that makes him stand out was his inability to win a single race and his embarrassing display in Singapore where his team mate made up 25 seconds on him and passed him.

I've just seen a photo of the Caterham 2014 livery on a GP2 car. I've written an article about it, but have been requested to not post it until the morning.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions, as it does indeed appear to be very clean and tidy.

It usually has to be a large reason (money) to change a driver mid-season. I agree that it is likely Vergne's last season at STR though, and that Da Costa would be the likely candidate if he a) churns out better performances than last year and b) doesn't see his future playing out in touring cars.

STR (or more accurately RBR) mid-season sacked Speed in 2007 and Bourdais in 2009. What you say is true for most other teams on the grid; STR is a different beast.

Vergne already has two seasons in with the team. What more are they going to learn about him?

Two things spring to mind:

1) Whether he would be a good replacement for Ricciardo, should Ricciardo fail to live up to expectations.

2) What sort of influence he has on Kvyat, and as a yardstick to measure Kvyat's development against.

I think he means the article he wrote, not the picture.

As for the livery, I am kind of disappointed by it. It needs more lime and white.

That's correct.

I am inclined to agree with you on that PM. Although it looks cleaner with the lighter shade of green and white, the main colour still dominates the main body, whereas I feel it should compliment it.

---

Also, a CGI of the 2014 Williams has been released.

1509697_569570659786692_777685636_n.jpg

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/williams-shows-first-impression-of-new-fw36

STR (or more accurately RBR) mid-season sacked Speed in 2007 and Bourdais in 2009. What you say is true for most other teams on the grid; STR is a different beast.

Vergne already has two seasons in with the team. What more are they going to learn about him?

I looked into the 2 sackings to refresh my memory, Speed's was performance related according to the team, but coincidentally followed the European grand prix where he fell out with Franz Tost. Bourdais' replacing was put to performance as well, with both Vettel and Buemi getting better results alongside him.

Now I think about it, you could also look to Antonio Felix Da Costa's appointment into the Red Bull driver program as an immediate mid-season replacement to Lewis Williamson.

So now I'm wondering how long has Vergne got after all! I thought he would be Kvyat's yardstick, but that will work both ways I am sure.

Two things spring to mind:

1) Whether he would be a good replacement for Ricciardo, should Ricciardo fail to live up to expectations.

I'm really struggling to imagine the situation of Ricciardo performing poorly at Red Bull... Not because it couldn't happen or because Ricciardo is a bad driver, but the thought of Red Bull getting something wrong, and what they would feel towards the rest of the young driver development program. It is clear that Vettel is something special, so I just hope they aren't expecting every driver backed by Red Bull to be the same, and more importantly that they are given the chance to get bedded into the top role.

I think the minimum they want from Ricciardo is that he do at least as well as Webber.

The ideal would be for him to be consistently a tenth behind Vettel in quali, give good feedback, demonstrate incident-free racecraft, win the occasional race and generally put Merc and Ferrari in the shade.

Kvyat's task is much more straightforward: Beat Vergne.

Can someone explain this to me please?

Sky Sports have posted this article on this season's minor changes including the double points in Abu Dhabi.

I'm reading it as the stewards will impose a five second penalty for what seems like drivers taking a pit stop.

Here's the article.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...umber-of-minor-rule-changes-for-2014-and-2015

I am confused.

They're just saying they've added a new type of in-race penalty to add in to the already established ones like drive-throughs and such. This is like an extended stop and go penalty hold. I believe they used to use 30 second or so holds before, but now they've added a shorter one for more minor infractions it seems.

but I though Mclaren was all over Sam Bird since he was British.

:rolleyes:

What on earth gave you that idea? McLaren are a world class team and have a history of signing the best drivers, regardless of their nationality. As a matter of fact, only two of the twelve drivers championships won by McLaren drivers have come from British drivers. Hunt and Hamilton. I'm guessing you're thinking of the Hamilton/Button pairing, but let's face facts. When the pairing started in 2010, Button and Hamilton were the two most recent champions. That pairing might not have happened had Vettel not rejected an offer from McLaren in mid 2009.

Autosport
Simona de Silvestro gets Sauber Formula 1 role
By Pablo Elizalde Friday, February 14th 2014, 10:45 GMT

Simona de Silvestro has joined the Sauber Formula 1 team as an 'affiliated driver', the Swiss squad announced on Friday.

The 25-year-old has competed in IndyCar for the past four years, finishing 13th in the standings with KV Racing Technology in 2013.

De Silvestro was rookie of the year in 2010 and became the first woman to finish on the podium on a street circuit in IndyCar in Houston last season.

The Swiss driver will join Sauber's preparation programme with the goal of earning a Superlicence and to "prepare for a race seat for 2015," according to the team.

Her programme will include track and simulator testing.

"This is a major step towards me achieving a life-long dream and I'm so happy to have the opportunity to take this step with such a great team," de Silvestro said.

"Sauber is a team with a legacy and the only Swiss team in Formula 1, which I think makes this even more exciting.

"I can't thank Monisha Kaltenborn and Peter Sauber enough for their support and belief in my abilities and for giving me this chance.

"I'm thrilled to have this extremely unique platform on which to prepare myself to take on the challenge."

Team boss Monisha Kaltenborn added: "After four years in IndyCar, Simona's ambition is to enter Formula 1 in 2015.

"We regard her as a very talented race driver, and we, therefore, decided to take her on board as an 'affiliated driver' and support her on her way to the pinnacle of motorsport."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112516

Hopefully she'll get plenty of seat time. I've seen her race in Indycars and she has got what it takes.

Back