RikkiGT-R

GT: IamValhalla
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rikki_GTR
IamValhalla
I cannot for the life of me win this.
For some reason the game is intentionally making it impossible for me, is there a trick to it?

The issue I'm having is - stop for new tires, come back out and it's magically pouring down. Next attempt I try to be crafty by switching to wet tires... no rain this time. Next attempt I put intermediates on, still no rain and the tires are gone in 3 laps. So I go back for dry tires, come out of the pits and... yep, it's bloody pouring down again. Change to wet tires, rain stops and I'm on the wrong tires again :mad:

I get that it rains occasionally in Belgium, but does it rain depending on what tires I put on? I've yet to have the correct tires on after the first pit stop in easily 20 attempts. I spend the next two laps after my first pit stop sliding all over the road hoping it'll either rain or dry up to justify my tire choice. It's making me so damned angry - Gran Turismo is not a difficult game, the AI is garbage, but it beats me by robotically wearing me down with these endless roadblocks to my enjoyment.

For some reason the game is intentionally making it impossible for me, is there a trick to it?

The issue I'm having is - stop for new tires, come back out and it's magically pouring down. Next attempt I try to be crafty by switching to wet tires... no rain this time. Next attempt I put intermediates on, still no rain and the tires are gone in 3 laps. So I go back for dry tires, come out of the pits and... yep, it's bloody pouring down again. Change to wet tires, rain stops and I'm on the wrong tires again :mad:

I get that it rains occasionally in Belgium, but does it rain depending on what tires I put on? I've yet to have the correct tires on after the first pit stop in easily 20 attempts. I spend the next two laps after my first pit stop sliding all over the road hoping it'll either rain or dry up to justify my tire choice. It's making me so damned angry - Gran Turismo is not a difficult game, the AI is garbage, but it beats me by robotically wearing me down with these endless roadblocks to my enjoyment.
The weather map on the MFD is your friend. Its an easy win if it rains as the AI will make multiple unnecessary pitstops and still somehow get caught on the wrong tyre.

I had the same experience at Le Mans. End of lap 2, sky is clear, weather radar is clear, I don't pit, it starts raining early on lap 3.
Either this, or the opposite: It looks like rain or starts raining lightly, I pit and switch to IMs or Wets and as soon as I come out of the pit the weather clears up and there's no more rain. It's like the game is mocking me with the weather. But there's a simple solution: Do the whole race on IMs/Wets. Works for Le Mans with certain cars, no idea if it works for Spa also.

Last edited:
As others have said, use the weather radar zoomed all the way out.

I’ve found on this race (Spa) the weather has a pattern, the big storm moves in when it goes dark (about lap 7), stays for the night, then it goes away for a bit in the morning and then a lighter spell of rain comes in for the last 10-15 minutes.

So my strategy for this race (probably not the best but i always win with it) is to start on medium tyres until i see the front appear on the radar, then i pit in (the storm moves fast so don’t wait for it to be on top of you before pitting!) and put heavy wets on and fill up with fuel, run the heavy wets til they wear out, and then switch to intermediates (and fill up again) until the end of the race. I don’t think it matters too much which car you use, pretty much any gr.3 should do it - the race is more against the weather than the AI cars, get your tyres on at the right time and this event is easy.

Last edited:
i start on hards just because there's more wasted car pp if you have to tune to 800 on mediums and then end up using wets/inters for most of the race

I suppose that kind of thing is personal preference. I’ve found I don’t really have to tune for this race, so i just use mediums so i can be a bit more heavy footed while the track’s dry, get up near the front in those precious first laps!

I suppose that kind of thing is personal preference. I’ve found I don’t really have to tune for this race, so i just use mediums so i can be a bit more heavy footed while the track’s dry, get up near the front in those precious first laps!
true, basically a preference of whatever balance of speed/downforce/tires is best for each person but definitely not much challenge to the race once you've done it a couple times, especially with rain confusing the AI

@RikkiGT-R i don't know at what level you're trying to win this but isn't so difficult.
They are many suggestions for cars that you can find of course and you can pick something that " fits" you.
The problem seems to be that you can't " read " properly the weather radar and make the right choice for when and what tyres .

Zoom max out as mentioned to see what's coming and how heavy it is , use MT gears if you are on AT if rain caught you out and select higher gears till you reach the pits .
Use fuel saving ( higher FM ) in order to extend or not the stint according to the weather .
Lap at Spa is too long and rain can caught you out on wrong tyres but the same applies for the AI .
Use only intermediate tyres when its raining, can save you time when track dry out .

And finally if nothing works .......
quit the race and do a retry to face the excact SAME weather but now you know when the weather changes and you are prepared for it.

i start on hards just because there's more wasted car pp if you have to tune to 800 on mediums and then end up using wets/inters for most of the race
The only real tuning that makes sense is downforce. Cant use extra power effectively in the rain so that’s just wasted PP. If anything, less power and more downforce is the better move.

And finally if nothing works .......
quit the race and do a retry to face the excact SAME weather but now you know when the weather changes and you are prepared for it.
You know, I never thought about this. I assumed the weather was random and no matter what tire I use it "randomly" changes to the opposite kind of weather for my tires. I'll definitely do a test race first to see what the weather is gonna do then I'll hit retry and know what to do.

You know, I never thought about this. I assumed the weather was random and no matter what tire I use it "randomly" changes to the opposite kind of weather for my tires. I'll definitely do a test race first to see what the weather is gonna do then I'll hit retry and know what to do.
If you quit the race and restart from the race screen everything stays the same. If you leave the race screen and go back in from the track screen you get new (random) conditions.

Rain always comes about lap 7/8 only question is how long and if it comes again at the end (not so often). I always start with RMs and go for real wets as soon as i see the rain coming.

As said earlier, the key thing is using the rain radar at maximum range.
Once the rain has come and gone, also extend the life of your IM or wet tires by driving through the wet areas of the track thus cooling your tires. It makes a material difference.

Do you use the rain radar on the MFD? It tells you exactly when it's going to rain.

1701619441064.png

Last edited:
Appreciate all the replies folks! Have taken all on board and will tackle this event tomorrow once I'm home from work.
I'll be paying closer attention to the weather radar that's for sure 🙈

It's been a long time since I last touched the race, but I remember once having a race with barely any heavy rain, so the weather can be very different, but it's more likely to be very wet.

Well , since i haven't done this race in my ps5 ( what ? ) I did that today in order to fill the box and to help you @RikkiGT-R
First race was on easy difficulty.
I choose Bugatti VGT gr1 because its easy rider and light on tyre wear .
I put RH tyres and since i wasn't aware of his laps in what fuel mode i choose FM4 .
By luck very light rain hits the track and fuels was enough for 13 laps which was right in the middle of the race.

I pit on 12 lap and did the last one at FM6 in order to skip another pitstop .
And here is waiting for timer at the end of the race.
IMG_20231203_184736513.jpg

Second race was on hard level with exact same settings,RH tyres and FM4 .
I saw rain coming during 7th lap and i decide to go for intermediate tyres, the rain started at end of 8th lap and lasted up to 12 lap
IMG_20231203_194312573_HDR.jpg

After 5 laps while the AI was pitted for dry tyres ,i was keep going and a heavy rain started to appear on radar
IMG_20231203_195553619_HDR.jpg

As you see the tyres are fine and i could easily end the race on them but i needed fuel , so i did .
IMG_20231203_195901205_HDR.jpg

At the end with all AI one and two laps behind i skip the last lap again
IMG_20231203_201453550_HDR.jpg

Verdict
Pick a car that its " easy" for you , isn't a shame ,its just a game.
Don't rush to change tyres ......
Stay out as long as you can ......
With light rain ( little above the first line of rain indicator) just be careful and keep going.
And last but most important , have patience.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly I did this with a Grp 2 car, fuel saved, racing hards until the rain. Then back to hards once the dry line showed.
Its quite an OK race, once you are confident your car will get things done, and ready for the rain/night.

My routine on this race:

- Switch to fuel map, check fuel (I always do FM1), and register to my head how many laps I can do.

- Then move to Weather Radar for the rest.

- Toggle the MFD every now and then until race ends.

- Once I see a speck of blue in the weather radar, I finish a lap on slicks then pit in change to IM or Wets (preferrably the latter).

- Change back to RM or RS once the surface is dry enough.

This can be done even on a stock Gr. 3 car. I would preferrably use Gr.2 cars but a Gr.3 would make things more interesting.

Last edited:
I use the 962C on RMs, with short shifting after I get the lead, usually lap 2, I'll start short shifting. FM on 1 the entire race. If the first batch of rain is light you can stay on RMs, I can go for around 40 minutes before I need fuel. If the rain requires a tire change I switch to inters, fuel up and run till the end. When the wetness bar gets into the top section is the only time you need to be cautious. Most times I lap the field and finish with lots of fuel left. Just for fun a lot of times, with 3 laps left, I'll put RMs back on try to better my best lap time. Be patient and don't lose your focus.

I still didn't even try with this race...
Is it forgiving if u made some mistakes?
For me it's impossible to keep concentration for one hour anymore.

I still didn't even try with this race...
Is it forgiving if u made some mistakes?
For me it's impossible to keep concentration for one hour anymore.
Depends on the car and the level you are racing.
It's forgiving anyway , the secret is not be in a " rush " mode your self.
Take it slow to go fast fits perfect in that case , don't need to be fast , just keep a flow that allows you to avoid mistakes, after you pass the leaders the race is yours and since time is the limit doesn't make any difference on winning if you're fast or average or slow.
My biggest headache is not to take 3sec. penalty exiting the pits 🤣 ,
I've done this race 4 times , two in a friend's ps4 and 2 in mine ps5 just yesterday!!!

Alternatively, you can grind La Sarthe, it will give you less, 825.000 for a 30 minutes race, but I found it easier and more predictable. Usually you will get rain or approaching rain at the end of lap 2, there you change to IM and it's and easy win because AI will continue with RH the first pit, even if its raining (!!). Car I use is the Viper Gr4. Change gear at around 6000 rpm to do 3 laps and around 7000 to do 2 laps.

Alternatively, you can grind La Sarthe, it will give you less, 825.000 for a 30 minutes race, but I found it easier and more predictable. Usually you will get rain or approaching rain at the end of lap 2, there you change to IM and it's and easy win because AI will continue with RH the first pit, even if its raining (!!). Car I use is the Viper Gr4. Change gear at around 6000 rpm to do 3 laps and around 7000 to do 2 laps.
I don't think it's a matter of " griding " there ,@RikkiGT-R open this thread cause he couldn't win it .
After all isn't the best way to grind running for 1 hour continuously and that's why the players don't use it for such a purpose.
Older players like me 😵 also can suffer from thumb cramps during the race which is annoying but still exists.

On the other hand ,its the only race that includes day and night and day again and the mixed conditions give more pluralism ( short of ).
If it was only 30 minutes,it would be perfect but i guess in that case ,tyre wear and fuel consumption it would be a lot higher which always is huge problem at la sarthe with many cars the barely pull 2 laps even at FM6 which make them useless.

I've run this race for most of my grinding. Here are a couple of strategies:
1. Grab an R32, RX-7, RX-8, or something similar you can engine swap. The DeLorean and the Trans Am work for this, possibly even the Tundra. Many of these can win on easy difficulty with the stock engine, so don't swap just yet. Also the 1999 WRX road car can win as well.
I used the R32 a few times this way. Install RS tires, set ride height a tad above minimum, drop the stabiliser and damper setting one notch below stock, LSD to minimum on all, and upgrade everything that doesn't increase engine power to max. Leave the nitrous, hydraulic handbrake, and the steering adapter off. Set your downforce to max. You will need some body part from GT Auto for this. Also change the wheels and go with a rim diameter towards the middle with a wide stance. I use wide wheels but you may want to consider a narrow wheel to reduce hydroplaning. If a roll cage is available, use it. Use the standard license plate, pick a headlight color and a livery, and you're good. Back in Settings, set the gears to top out around 320. If you're running 4 wheel drive, start it out at 50:50. TCS should be set to 5, brake balance 0, and FM1. Even if you don't think you need TCS, anti lock brakes, and counter steer assist, use them. They reduce tire wear. I'd turn on ASM also. Leave Auto Drive off.
This car is going to drink fuel and destroy tires, period. You will be in the box every four laps, which works better with unpredictable weather.
Now look at your car's weight distribution. On a 50:50 car with four wheel drive, the front tires will wear faster. With a front-mid engine and rear wheel drive, tire wear will be fastest on the heavier end. Most of the game's four wheel drive vehicles have a front-mid mounted engine. I digress.
On the display settings, turn off the leader board. You don't need it.
The strategy here is basically put every four laps and drive the car like you stole it. The R32 is stupid fast in this setup but will slide some, the RX-7 takes those to the extreme. On dry pavement you may want to shift torque and braking to the rear wheels and reduce TCS to gain a bit more speed.
Once you start winning on easy, move to intermediate then hard. The RX-7 and the R32 will destroy the competition with engine swaps. The GT3RS Porsche seen in the movie could probably handle this race bone stock on any difficulty.
The second strategy is to use a tuned Group 3 car. Find out what that car's strength is and capitalize on it. The McLaren's strength is speed, so focus on that. The 911 RSR's strength is grip. I recommend starting on RH tires with these cars, or RM if you have the PP left after tuning for max power.
Last things before you ever start the race, go into settings and look at the torque line. You'll see on some cars this is almost flat, those are the ones you short shift. On higher revving cars like the RX-7, you'll need to shift closer to redline (around 9000 RPM on the RX-7).

Now for the track. There are two things you need to burn into your brain. #1, you are to run from Le Source to Les Combes and again from Stavelot to the chicane flat out, pedal to the metal, period. Two, in Les Combes, Malmedy, Ickx/Speaker's corner, and College, the racing lines are wrong.
So ... start out just after Le Source. Hit the gas hard, watch your entry to Eau Rouge (enter by turning hard left), and floor it through Radillion and down the Kemmel Straight. You will hop some curbs here. Move left and brake for Les Combes, exiting each of these two corners on the inside. The final right is Malmedy, exit that on the left at full throttle with two tires either at or on the curb. Fade right, then left again once Bruxelles (the hairpin) comes into view and take this corner carefully. Stay on the dry section of the track. Fade right as you hit the gas and aim for the inside curb on Ickx corner (the 90 degree left). At this point hit the gas hard. Accelerate all the way to Pouhon, the long, double apex left handed. This is gonna be an out-in-out-in-out corner and you should exit it at very close to top speed. Next is College, aim to exit the right hander on the inside, then cut hard and floor it to Paul Friere. This and Stavelot form a medium speed dual apex right hander. You should be able to punch it between the apexes and never let up til the final chicane, but first you gotta get through Blanchimont, the long sweeping left hand turn. Make sure you stay to the right except in the apexes, by this I mean keep two tires over the white line. Ignore the braking zones here.
On the final chicane, if you need to put, point the car parallel to the inside curb on the right hander and drive straight to the wall. If not, stay in first gear and feather the gas til you're on the pit straight. Brake a tad early and choose a line for Le Source, wide if no one is around, close to the wall if they are.
Should you find yourself out on slicks in the rain, obviously stay on the driest parts of the track. If you're on wets and it stops raining, do just the opposite. IM's are useless in this race, as you'll see when the AI puts every 3 laps for them.
On the weather radar, when you start getting dark blue at the edge, you have two laps til the rain hits. If it's real spotty, ignore it. If the dark blue, yellow, red, etc. is in a larger clump, go ahead and drop to FM1 and whatever brake balance handles best, put as much fuel and rubber as you can into distance, and be ready to pit 1-2 laps later. During the rain, tire wear shuts off, so focus on traction by enabling assists and maxing then (with the exception of Auto Drive, it sucks). Go to FM 6 to further reduce the tendency to break the drive wheels loose.
Use the track map to determine where the leaders are. You can also use it and the radar to run this race in a car that has no headlights. If you're using VR, you can still see the road without headlights. As in real life it's never totally dark out.
This should get you to first place in either a Group 3 car or a similar road car on any setting. Alternately you could run any Group 1 or Group X car detuned and smoke the entire field, but you won't learn to handle the heavier Group 3 and road cars that way.
Don't give up in the first few laps, especially if you're putting every 4 laps. You could easily be running 320+ km/h or 200+ mph top speeds, these will level the competition in the end.
Take note that the 911 RSR, the CLK-LM, and the 917k are all used in either CE's or license tests. If you did the Porsche specific time trial last summer you have a 917k already. All of them can win on any difficulty level but some will need tuning adjustments.
Lap times in the dry need to be 2:18 or better to win on hard, 2:21 or better on easy. If the track is wet, 3:00 is more realistic. Consider the track wet if the moisture meter is above the first line.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
IMG_9503.jpeg

Well I finally beat it using the advice on this thread. Thank you so much for your input peeps, much appreciated!
Wasn’t actually as difficult as I had in my head once I realised what was going on. I’ll certainly do it a few more times.

@smoothbore12 - got the 962 just now, thanks for the heads up.

Back