The 2012 Driver transfer discussion/speculation thread

• Thread starter F1 fan
  • 1,927 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
About Schumacher, he was doing Moto GP, and not too bad at it either, up to his crash

Not Moto GP, IDM Superbikes.

The popular route for retiring F1 drivers it seems is to enter in other racing series' like sports cars or touring cars. Or even American series' like NASCAR or Indy.

Another route is maybe becoming a tv commentator.

Because Todt has said he is only going to do one term as President before stepping down. I don't know how long one term is, but somebody has to replace him.

I see. I don't think Jean Todt has done a bad job necessarily.

Not Moto GP, IDM Superbikes.

The popular route for retiring F1 drivers it seems is to enter in other racing series' like sports cars or touring cars. Or even American series' like NASCAR or Indy.

Another route is maybe becoming a tv commentator.

It will be interesting to see if Schumacher continues racing after F1. He still has the fitness, but is clearly lacking something.

Only person who will replace Heidfield is either Grosjean or Senna. Renault won't need a team leader anymore, Vitaly has matured enough to be able to take up that role and for them to sack Nick. I'm expecting Kubica to take a test driver role for next season to acclimatize himself again and get back up to physical and mental shape. He could step back in mid season, or he may just have to wait til 2013. Sooner the better though.

Kubica is supposed to have a drive next year with Renault, this is what Eric Boullier has stated to the press. Petrov...hasn't had that great of a season really...considering that Australia was really his only great drive.

EDIT: @ Interludes, not sure what the chip on your shoulder is but I'm just saying that I've read they would prefer a French driver and a french team. I'm not saying they have to have one and neither are they, the main focus is the GP coming back to France .

Last edited:
Kubica is supposed to have a drive next year with Renault, this is what Eric Boullier has stated to the press. Petrov...hasn't had that great of a season really...considering that Australia was really his only great drive.

Petrov has had a good season. He is only a few points behind Nick Heidfeld who beat Kubica in two of their three full seasons as teammates. He has shown a great improvement and is shaking off the "crashaholic" tag. He's become a lot more reliable and even the likes of Nigel Mansell have claimed he could be a grand prix winner.

Petrov's performance thus far.

Beat team mate in qualifying
6/9
Beat team mate in race
2/7
Races finished
8/9
Laps spent ahead of team mate
282/518

The number tell a different story ^ just saying. So in the places that count Nick usually finishes ahead of Petrov. Yes Petrov qualifies great, but if you can't finish better than what you start or where you started what's the point really?

Quote from F1 Fanatic:
Petrov looked to have turned over a new page in 2011 when he qualified sixth and put the car on the podium. But he hasn’t come close to replicating that form since.
It’s clear that Renault’s competitiveness has been in decline since the start of the season. But even so Petrov is consistently losing out to Nick Heidfeld in the races.
Apart from Australia he hasn’t impressed.
Mark-L

As far as it goes Nick Heidfeld isn't doing that impressive of a job either in a team that is usually higher mid field and once was a top contender. It's one thing to say what you did if Nick were higher in the points, but you preach as if Nick was having a great drive which he isn't. The only reason Petrov is even close is due to the ten points he got in Canada, but Kobiyashi pulled that off in a lesser car than the Renault GP. Now not to be rude but I do agree with you that he has had a better season some what than last year but nothing really to write home about.

Last edited:
Beat team mate in qualifying
6/9
Beat team mate in race
2/7
Races finished
8/9
Laps spent ahead of team mate
282/518
Petrov looked to have turned over a new page in 2011 when he qualified sixth and put the car on the podium. But he hasn’t come close to replicating that form since.
It’s clear that Renault’s competitiveness has been in decline since the start of the season. But even so Petrov is consistently losing out to Nick Heidfeld in the races.
Apart from Australia he hasn’t impressed.
Mark-L

Now compare that to how he did against Kubica in 2010 and you'll see a big improvement.

Just a guess

Red Bull - Vettel, Webber
McLaren - Hamilton, Button
Ferrari - Alonso, Kobayashi
Mercedes - Rosberg, Schumacher
Renault - Kubica, Petrov
Williams - Barrichello, Heidfeld
Force India - Di Resta, Sutil
Sauber - Massa, Perez
Toro Rosso - Buemi, Ricciardo
Lotus - Kovalainen, Maldonado
HRT - Liuzzi, Algersuari
Virgin - Glock, Senna

No Hulk? :sly: Nah seriously though the first two are spot on from early reports and contracts that are still on going. Renault for now is correct and so is Merc GP. None of us really know what Ferrari will do in the end. Williams came out early this month saying both drivers currently will stay. Force India for now is the same as what you have. Sauber not sure either, Toro Rosso is the same, Lotus is suppose to keep both drivers. HRT once again not sure but I wonder why you went with Algersuari then again it would be him doing a service for them if he joined. Virgin have said that both drivers they currently have will stay. Senna and Hulkenburg have said they want to race next year...not sure if there will be open seats and I doubt it somewhat.

Now compare that to how he did against Kubica in 2010 and you'll see a big improvement.

You don't get it...he's not consistent with his drives, you know that's kind of an important thing. He had more input on this car then last years. Heidfeld and 11th hour choice is doing better...now I will admit his experience is a big factor so we may possibly throw it out the window. Yet Petrov has had the great position on the start, but doesn't produce on the day it counts race day. Now maybe if he was more consistent with his finishes I'd jump up there and say "hell yeah Petrov has vastly improved" but it's just not realistic.

Here I'll entertain your little last year to this year so far from the races done. Australia a massive improvement and have yet to meet the person to say otherwise.

Malaysia: still didn't finish the race, but this year was classified.

China: Got 7th last year, 9th this year in a car he had input on.

Spainish: Same spot this year as last year.

Monaco: Didn't finish this year just like last year but still was classified 13th so this is an improvement.

Canada: Big improvement from last year

Turkey: almost forgot, but was an improvement from last year

European: Finished better last year than this year

British: Finished 12th this year last year 13th.

For the most part I pointed out the two races he did good in. However, the rest doesn't seem that great besides Turkey and if he only improved in the 3 races from last year with a car that he had input on...that's a bit dissapointing really. I still have trouble seeing the vast improvements but okay I guess they're there.

Last edited:
The number tell a different story ^ just saying. So in the places that count Nick usually finishes ahead of Petrov. Yes Petrov qualifies great, but if you can't finish better than what you start or where you started what's the point really?
Look at their results a little closer. Heidfeld has finished ahead of Petrov in six of the nine races so far - but he's only just passed Petrov in the points.

Look at their results a little closer. Heidfeld has finished ahead of Petrov in six of the nine races so far - but he's only just passed Petrov in the points.

Slight error I suppose but it still doesn't detract from the fact that Petrov is inconsistent and Nick has had more finishes ahead of him.

What's more important at the end of the year: the guy who finishes ahead of his team-mate more often, or the guy who scores more points?

On paper, statistics are very easy to manipulate. Heidfeld could end the season finishing more races ahead of Petrov than Petrov does ahead of Heidfeld without scoring any points, while Petrov always scores points whenever he finishes ahead of Heidfeld. Who is the better driver in that case?

Sorry, but I think you're too hung up on the idea of a French driver racing for a French team and trying to make cases for either driver being dropped. The problem is that you're overlooked one key element: Renault don't compete under the French flag. In fact, there's nothing French about the team beyond their name (which they kept because of the Lotus vs. Lotus case) and their engine supplier.

I'm still owndering about something. Why does everyone think that di Resta is better than Sutil, and people always say that Hulk will replace him next year? di Resta has 2 points, Sutil has 10. Ten. Sure Paul has outqualified him quite often, but has failed to deliver in the races.

Besides, do we know Adrian to be the guy to post ridiculously quick times, a one lap wonder? No, he's fast, consistently fast, and will usually bring the car home, and in the points, which is why he has 10 over Paul's 2. This year may have been a bit eventful for him, but look at last year. How many points did Adrian score, how many times did he crash? For most of last year he was fighting Schumacher in the points standings. Only reason Sutil should ever be sacked is because of the court charges. Nothing else.

Because Sutil has plenty of experience and di Resta is in his first season, plus Sutil has a tendency to blow it when put under pressure.

Because Sutil has plenty of experience and di Resta is in his first season, plus Sutil has a tendency to blow it when put under pressure.

Blow it under pressure? When?

My point is, Adrian has better racecraft, which is why he has 10 points. Paul only has 2, so this chat about Paul wiping the floor with Adrian is bogus.

Mercedes GP : M.Shoemaker / Rosberg
Renault : Kubica / Petrov
McLaren : Button / Hamilton
Sauber : Massa / Kobayashi / Perez
Ferrari : Perez / Kobayashi ( maybe in secret making already a deal ) / F.Alonso
HRT : Noob Driver Luizzi / Vettel AJAHAHAH ( Heidfeld maybe cuz cant get a place in f1 )
Red Bull : Ricciardo ( Vettel ) / Webber
Virgin Marrusia GP : Timo Glock / D'ambrosio
Lotus : Kovailainen / Me ! / Jarno Trulli
Williams : The Collision Venezuelian / Barrichello
Torro Rosso : Ricciardo / Alguesauri
Force India ; The Hulk / Paul Di Pesta Resta Nesta

Mercedes GP : M.Shoemaker / Rosberg
Renault : Kubica / Petrov
McLaren : Button / Hamilton
Sauber : Massa / Kobayashi / Perez
Ferrari : Perez / Kobayashi ( maybe in secret making already a deal ) / F.Alonso
HRT : Noob Driver Luizzi / Vettel AJAHAHAH ( Heidfeld maybe cuz cant get a place in f1 )
Red Bull : Ricciardo ( Vettel ) / Webber
Virgin Marrusia GP : Timo Glock / D'ambrosio
Lotus : Kovailainen / Me ! / Jarno Trulli
Williams : The Collision Venezuelian / Barrichello
Torro Rosso : Ricciardo / Alguesauri
Force India ; The Hulk / Paul Di Pesta Resta Nesta

Facepalm.
155960.jpg

Massa will be at Ferrari. Pretty much everyone here is ignoring the fact he has a contract.

What's more important at the end of the year: the guy who finishes ahead of his team-mate more often, or the guy who scores more points?

On paper, statistics are very easy to manipulate. Heidfeld could end the season finishing more races ahead of Petrov than Petrov does ahead of Heidfeld without scoring any points, while Petrov always scores points whenever he finishes ahead of Heidfeld. Who is the better driver in that case?

Sorry, but I think you're too hung up on the idea of a French driver racing for a French team and trying to make cases for either driver being dropped. The problem is that you're overlooked one key element: Renault don't compete under the French flag. In fact, there's nothing French about the team beyond their name (which they kept because of the Lotus vs. Lotus case) and their engine supplier.

Once again still not sure what the chip on your shoulder is, you're right about the Renault leadership not flying the french flag since they sold the last 25% of their shares last year to Group Lotus, so sorry for not being used to that yet. Numbers/statistics are pretty straightfoward, so not sure what you'd like to split hairs on with that. Finally the part that you twist my words and leap frog on. You talk about manipulation and you've done it here with my post. Just cause I talked about the French wanting that stuff in a few post is not the reasoning I think Petrov should be gone or why I don't think Petrov has been as good as others are saying. So sorry, but team bosses are usually noted for wanting consistancy from their drivers, so just because a driver has two or three good finishes in a season (this is an example so don't twist it as if I'm saying this is Petrov) but the rest are poor...that tells teams and fans a few things; either the car is not good or the car was good on the three tracks cause they're similar and the car is better in that setup. The driver prefers those tracks to the other 16 that were raced is another reason, or just can't grasp the majority of tracks which would just make them another driver. There could be a number of reasons but for me Petrov isn't proving much from this year to last year. If he was consistent with the areas he finished like Nick that would change my mind.

Jarno Trulli tells the Press Association that he already has a contract with Lotus for next year.

Mentioned by BBC.

They said on BBC also that Glock has extended his contract possibly to the end of 2014.

not sure if mentioned before, but i read that webber is in talks to race with red bull again next year, since he is on a year to year contract with them

not sure if mentioned before, but i read that webber is in talks to race with red bull again next year, since he is on a year to year contract with them

I don't think anyone important is really going anywhere, even if in a perfect world, Massa and Webber would probably both be with new teams for 2012...

They might swap.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93185

I don't really see why either team would feel the need - if they were unhappy with Webber/Massa, neither are much better than the other! This is why Button is being tied to Ferrari because he represents a better deal. Webber doesn't bring anything Massa already doesn't, whereas at least Button is more consistently close to his teammate in results (though Massa has improved a lot this year).

If Webber or Massa leave their respective teams, chances are they are not going to another top team again.

Grosjean rumours looking more likely.

At least this time, he'll be able finish the GP2 season first.

I said this over on another forum, so i'll just copypasta it to here.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DO NOT WANT!!!!!!!

I know i'm an avid fan of Bruno, but he is, seriously a good driver. Trumped all of his teamamtes last year at HRT bar Klien, though I believe there was a slight bias to Christian, not to mention some bad luck in qualifying by Senna. And off season testing, he was only a second off of Heidfield's time, without using the soft tyre. He's shown some promise, if anything. Roman came and went, he had a chance already, and didn't do much better than Nelson Angelo Tamsma Piquet Souto Maior (is this the longest full name of an F1 driver?:lol:) I do think he'll do better now, given Renault and he himself are better than 2 years ago, but Roman should use his potential GP2 title to get himself a more permanent seat in a different team, since unless he can beat Petrov by a lot, because even beating him marginally wouldn't be more worth than Vitaly's money unless Roman brings money as well, he'll be shown the door the second Kubica can race again. A drive for Senna may just be the thing to save his career, and he could attract attention and, once Bobby is fit to race, could be snatched up by another team. Both drivers will get seats :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back