The 2018 US Mid-Term Elections Thread

He should've they probably would've let him vote.
What? I asked if he said he wasn't going to vote Dem, but I now gather he made no remark indicating political leanings, which makes sense, and the baseless hypothetical was offered up purely in support of one's favored narrative.

I didn't know that either, that said he couldn't have voted out here since we moved.
Ah, so you didn't actually know the requirements for in-person voting (which is odd in and of itself, given earlier indications that this is your preferred method due to the potential for impropriety with the alternatives) but decided to offer up the aforementioned baseless hypothetical as an indication of why it would or would not have been permissible, when it in fact would not have been permissible but for entirely different reasons. Glad that's all cleared up.

What? I asked if he said he wasn't going to vote Dem, but I now gather he made no remark indicating political leanings, which makes sense, and the baseless hypothetical was offered up purely in support of one's favored narrative.

Ah, so you didn't actually know the requirements for in-person voting (which is odd in and of itself, given earlier indications that this is your preferred method due to the potential for impropriety with the alternatives) but decided to offer up the aforementioned baseless hypothetical as an indication of why it would or would not have been permissible, when it in fact would not have been permissible but for entirely different reasons. Glad that's all cleared up.
Well I have a valid license so I've never had issues or needed to know, sooo.
Regardless a ballot with an invalid or no birthday shouldn't be accepted.

Well I have a valid license so I've never had issues or needed to know, sooo.
Sooo, you've become complacent and aren't compelled to ensure you meet requirements to vote? How would you feel should something change without your knowledge?

Beyond that, how do you reconcile suggesting one was declared unfit to vote on the basis of their political leanings, while they likely would have been declared as such but for entirely different reasons pertaining to location of residence, when no attempt at in-person voting was made to begin with?

Regardless a ballot with an invalid or no birthday shouldn't be accepted.
When one is still required to be registered to vote in order to cast that ballot, why not?

So anyone can put the incorrect date of birth or no date of birth and vote but my dad can't vote cause his license is expired. Screw you Dems! I bet they would've let him vote if he told them he was gonna vote Dem.

This my friends is your voter suppression. Delays and delays to count fraudulent votes.

In what way are those votes "fraudulent?"

Let's just ignore he rules and allow anyone to vote regardless the INCORRECT UNVERIFIED votes.
They had opportunities to show proof and didn't, now their vote counts. BS stop defending BS cause a judge said so. The votes don't count and if they do my dads should. They can vote with no proof of residence or even age, keep trying to defend it...

Let's just ignore he rules and allow anyone to vote regardless the INCORRECT UNVERIFIED votes.
They had opportunities to show proof and didn't, now their vote counts. BS stop defending BS cause a judge said so. The votes don't count and if they do my dads should. They can vote with no proof of residence or even age, keep trying to defend it...

The article mentions that one of the most common mistakes on these ballots is accidentally writing the current year rather than your birth year, something I'd imagine is quite common on forms of all kinds, not just ballots.

Why does that make an otherwise valid vote "fraudulent?"

I'm not defending it "cause a judge said so," I'm defending it because it's common sense. People shouldn't be disenfranchised for a simple and common mistake when writing a date.

The article mentions that one of the most common mistakes on these ballots is accidentally writing the current year rather than your birth year, something I'd imagine is quite common on forms of all kinds, not just ballots.

Why does that make an otherwise valid vote "fraudulent?"

I'm not defending it "cause a judge said so," I'm defending it because it's common sense. People shouldn't be disenfranchised for a simple and common mistake when writing a date.
It's also common sense to read the form you fill out and fill it out correctly. If you are too stupid to figure out where whatever date belongs or be bothered to go in and show your VALID ID when you've been given multiple extensions, your vote shouldn't count.

This BS is the EXACT reason I ALWAYS vote in person.

It's also common sense to read the form you fill out and fill it out correctly. If you are too stupid to figure out where whatever date belongs or be bothered to go in and show your VALID ID when you've been given multiple extensions, your vote shouldn't count.

If it was your vote getting thrown out for something so insignificant, I very highly doubt you'd feel the same way about it.

Seems to me that you're mostly mad because Rush and friends told you that all of the ballots in question are surely votes for a Democrat, and therefore we should all be very outraged.

The votes don't count and if they do my dads should.
You mean the vote that he made no effort to cast based on the belief that an expired driver's license wouldn't be accepted as identification?

DK
There's a lot to be said for paper ballots.

Every single election I've voted in in Canada has had a simple, paper ballot. As far as I'm aware, the ballots are counted in situ with representatives from the parties overseeing the process. It doesn't seem to take a long time at all - if there are enough polling places, the number of votes cast at each location is not overly large & counting is quite quick. I'm not clear at all why this simple method is not possible. I do understand that it becomes more complicated & time consuming if there are a lot of different offices/propositions included on the ballot.

If it was your vote getting thrown out for something so insignificant, I very highly doubt you'd feel the same way about it.

Seems to me that you're mostly mad because Rush and friends told you that all of the ballots in question are surely votes for a Democrat, and therefore we should all be very outraged.
No, I would've gone in a fixed it(as I've said before in this thread which y'all ignored, y'all more worried about my dads non vote than invalid votes. FYI I quit that job. Haven't listened to Rush in 5 days. I would've posted his link if I got it from him. Please waste your time responding, it'll be ignored with pleasure same as Tex. Good evening gentleman.

No, I would've gone in a fixed it(as I've said before in this thread which y'all ignored, y'all more worried about my dads non vote than invalid votes. FYI I quit that job. Haven't listened to Rush in 5 days. I would've posted his link if I got it from him. Please waste your time responding, it'll be ignored with pleasure same as Tex. Good evening gentleman.

If someone accidentally wrote 2018 as their birth year, they're presumably not aware that they did so. So how, exactly, do you see that "fix" happening? A thousand people spontaneously deciding "I should take off from work, go down to the election office, and correct a mistake that I have no reason to be aware that I've made?"

Do you ever stop to think all the way through the scenarios you propose?

Common sense says that somebody who is already registered to vote is old enough, and the common mistake of writing the current year instead of their birth year shouldn't invalidate their vote.

If someone accidentally wrote 2018 as their birth year, they're presumably not aware that they did so. So how, exactly, do you see that "fix" happening? A thousand people spontaneously deciding "I should take off from work, go down to the election office, and correct a mistake that I have no reason to be aware that I've made?"

Do you ever stop to think all the way through the scenarios you propose?

Common sense says that somebody who is already registered to vote is old enough, and the common mistake of writing the current year instead of their birth year shouldn't invalidate their vote.
They were notified. Can't get off? Sucks for you. I barely got off in time to vote. Again, recheck the posts even though I know a few got lost in the America thread which Tex tried to dismiss with some stupid map. Have fun figuring it out.
Or maybe we should do like Danoff said and make it a holiday so everyone can get off an exercise their right to vote.

Get over the left and right BS and accept the fact a invalid ballot is invalid. Seems like the same stupid arguments we always have.

y'all more worried about my dads non vote than invalid votes
Words can't express just how little I care about your dad not voting. What does concern me, however, is that you've opted to repeatedly use it as a basis for comparison.

IlliterateCheeryKingfisher-small.gif

Again, recheck the posts even though I know a few got lost in the America thread which Tex tried to dismiss with some stupid map.
That stupid map indicated Georgia's presence within the United States of America. So what if there's a more specific thread? The remarks were made as a part of discussion happening there and I didn't see fit to "move" that discussion elsewhere.

Moreover--and this response works well directed at the implication that one need not be concerned with matters somewhere when they themselves live elsewhere--what happens to the part often directly affects what happens to the whole.

Get over the left and right BS and accept the fact a invalid ballot is invalid.
The whole point is they were determined by the court to not be invalid.

I'd suggest that you heed your own advice here, as well, because while the action here may have been taken by Democrats, it's likely to have implications for Republican voters who made the same minor mistake and whose vote was previously discredited.

Please waste your time responding, it'll be ignored with pleasure same as Tex.
You know, you say that...like...a lot. But the reason you have the opportunity to say it so frequently is that, for whatever reason, you don't follow through with it. Now I'm by no means suggesting you do follow through with it, I'd much rather have a polite discussion, but I was compelled to point that out.

Just the same, I'm going to keep responding as I see fit to do so (believe it or not, I never respond when I'm not sufficiently compelled) because I want what I have to say to be said even if it isn't read.

I've really never encountered anyone who objects so fervently to simply being responded to as you do. There's another here who regularly draws fire for their perspective, but rather than lash out in a manner similar to yours, they tend to at least make an effort to establish a basis for their perspective.

And I acknowledge that I've responded out of chronological order, but I really thought it best to drop this at the end.

Words can't express just how little I care about your dad not voting. What does concern me, however, is that you've opted to repeatedly use it as a basis for comparison.

IlliterateCheeryKingfisher-small.gif

That stupid map indicated Georgia's presence within the United States of America. So what if there's a more specific thread? The remarks were made as a part of discussion happening there and I didn't see fit to "move" that discussion elsewhere.

Moreover--and this response works well directed at the implication that one need not be concerned with matters somewhere when they themselves live elsewhere--what happens to the part often directly affects what happens to the whole.

The whole point is they were determined by the court to not be invalid.

I'd suggest that you heed your own advice here, as well, because while the action here may have been taken by Democrats, it's likely to have implications for Republican voters who made the same minor mistake and whose vote was previously discredited.

You know, you say that...like...a lot. But the reason you have the opportunity to say it so frequently is that, for whatever reason, you don't follow through with it. Now I'm by no means suggesting you do follow through with it, I'd much rather have a polite discussion, but I was compelled to point that out.

Just the same, I'm going to keep responding as I see fit to do so (believe it or not, I never respond when I'm not sufficiently compelled) because I want what I have to say to be said even if it isn't read.

I've really never encountered anyone who objects so fervently to simply being responded to as you do. There's another here who regularly draws fire for their perspective, but rather than lash out in a manner similar to yours, they tend to at least make an effort to establish a basis for their perspective.

And I acknowledge that I've responded out of chronological order, but I really thought it best to drop this at the end.
Let's remove my personal objection.
Would you like votes in your local elections that can't be verified be accepted in your local elections?

Let's remove my personal objection.
Would you like votes in your local elections that can't be verified be accepted in your local elections?
I appreciate that, I really do.

If a ballot well and truly cannot be attributed to a registered voter, it ought not be counted...but why would an error on a ballot, specifically one that contradicts voter registration information on file, prevent verification?

specifically one that contradicts voter registration information on file, prevent verification?
Said people had an additional 3 days to go in and correct their ballot.
I don't know if they weren't notified(due to their own errors) or they simply didn't go in, but they weren't corrected.
I don't care what the judge said, they shouldn't be counting incomplete/inaccurate ballots and continuing to include more ballots.
What happened to election day? This is turning into election month. It didn't take no where near this long to confirm Trump in GA.
It smells very fishy.
Somewhere you asked about what about votes for Kemp. I don't care they shouldn't be counted either. If you can't do it correctly the first time or be bothered to fix your ballot when notified it shouldn't count.
It's like me saying oh no I didn't fill out my application correctly for the Peachtree Road Race. I demand you let me race anyways.
Get where I'm going?
I don't care if she wins anymore(even though if every single ballot in limbo was a vote for her she still couldn't trigger a recount or runoff as I've said before), this is a waste of time and money), I'm tired of new ads and it being the center of discussion on the local news. I just want this damn election to end!

Last edited:
What happened to election day?
Nothing. Funny thing, though, each state has different requirements regarding the way ballots are handled. Take absentee ballots for example...provided they're postmarked by a certain date prior to Election Day, ten states actually accept absentee ballots after Election Day, and two of those actually accept them as many as ten days after (that's right, there may be ballots that haven't arrived yet but will still be counted).

Somewhere you asked about what about votes for Kemp.
Nope, I sure didn't.

See, that's where the multiquote function comes in handy. What I do is read a post to which I intend to respond and then I re-read it, selecting the text to which I intend to respond as I go. That way I don't go misattributing remarks to others.

They were notified.

How? Presumably by looking them up in the voter registration records? And seeing that they were indeed born 18+ years ago, rather than in 2018? At that point, why not just accept the ballot? The judge in this case said we should, and I agree. You're complaining about the election process getting drawn out, but you want people to have to go in and correct a mistake that the person at the election office can already plainly figure out on their own?

Can't get off? Sucks for you. I barely got off in time to vote.

And what if, after working hard that day to get done a little early to make sure you got your vote in, you were told it wasn't going to be counted, because you put the wrong year down? And there was no way you were going to be able to get off early twice in a week. Would you look in the mirror and say "sucks for you?" If I were you in that position, I'd be pretty damn irritated that Joe Bureaucrat at the election office couldn't just use his common sense to say that I was not, in fact, less than a year old, rather I was the age the voter information he could easily look at said I was.

Get over the left and right BS and accept the fact a invalid ballot is invalid.

The question I still want answered is why you think that a simple mistake on the year makes a vote invalid.

I believe I've already answered it.

Not in any way that seems to boil down to anything other than you're upset about the perceived party bias of the votes in question. Let me change the question a little:

Do you think that the Constitutionally-protected right to vote should be taken away for something as simple as accidentally writing the wrong year? Yes or no?

Not in any way that seems to boil down to anything other than you're upset about the perceived party bias of the votes in question. Let me change the question a little:

Do you think that the Constitutionally-protected right to vote should be taken away for something as simple as accidentally writing the wrong year? Yes or no?
Yes

Here as an outsider it seems to be more complicated than needed to vote for you guys.

I know we are a pretty easy going bunch down here but we just rock up in Saturday tell the polling booth official your name and address to get your ballot paper and that's it. No ID shown, nothing to fill in then just walk over to the booth tick the relevant boxes fold up the ballot paper and drop it in the box on the way out.

I'm not going to continue to repeat myself.
But you have no qualms about not answering questions you quoted (partly anyway) and putting others in a position where they need to repeat themselves if they wish to get a straight answer from you. I answered your question, isn't it only appropriate that you answer mine?

why would an error on a ballot, specifically one that contradicts voter registration information on file, prevent verification?

But you have no qualms about not answering questions you quoted (partly anyway) and putting others in a position where they need to repeat themselves if they wish to get a straight answer from you. I answered your question, isn't it only appropriate that you answer mine?
I don't know if I'm misinterpreting you but to me you answered your own question.

I don't know if I'm misinterpreting you but to me you answered your own question.
You're misinterpreting me.

Why would an error as minor as date of birth, something that has already been provided as part of the registration process, prevent verification of one's right to vote and thereby prohibit the subsequent counting of one's vote?

If it's that tenuous, why are we to register to begin with? Why not make registration part of the ballot casting? They're going to be checking regardless.

Back