The 2019 TVR Griffith Makes Its Virtual Debut in The Crew 2

Let's hope this new Griffith is more vroom vroom vroom, and less vroom vroom putt putt tinkle like the old one was.

I got gold edition of the Crew 2 and haven’t even logged in since August. Several “vehicle drops” and a new DLC are waiting to never be used.

Of all the new games i bought in 2018, for sure this is the biggest disappointment.

I got gold edition of the Crew 2 and haven’t even logged in since August. Several “vehicle drops” and a new DLC are waiting to never be used.

Of all the new games i bought in 2018, for sure this is the biggest disappointment.

I would have to agree on this.
3 months in between major updates and little updates along the way and like icky car drops.

I think The Crew 2 was nothing like the original one.
I just want more customization on it. I hate looking at "The Crew" plate on my car.
Where is the in game achievements like TC1?
It's like they removed all the best parts of TC1 and decided to say, "Oh we updated our graphics, we added boats and planes and hovercrafts, we also removed PVP and other customization and in game achievements" We call this TC2.

I'd rather see the old TC 1 items and fun things in TC 2

I'm on the same boat to be honest. The initial phase of the game was quite fun for me, but once you complete the main campaign, the sense of enjoyment completely dies out. It's not helped by the really poor economy; acquiring a complete garage just feels like an unenjoyable grind.

I'm hoping the PvP update will bring something that will make this game worth coming back to, primarily a boost for progression and acquiring credits.

I'm hoping the PvP update will bring something that will make this game worth coming back to, primarily a boost for progression and acquiring credits.

Yes but in what medium will that be released? FH4 first expansion, still playing RDR2 and Odyssey and then Battlefield V as well. For me personally, nothing can save The Crew 2 until I'm bored with all 4 of those games.

But stuff like that can happen, I remember buying Project CARS 1 at launch, played it a bit, then moved on to other racing games (I think Dirt Rally, F1 2016 and Assetto Corsa) until inevitably I ended up getting hooked to FM6 when it launched. Half a year after the FM6 release and Turn 10 frustrating the crap out of my with # cars > # garage slots I ditched the game and went back to Project CARS 1, almost a year after it's initial release. And I have to say, after all the DLC updates, the fixes and myself giving the game a more worthy effort I absolutely enjoyed it and got hooked.

I can see something similar happening with The Crew 2 as well. Maybe almost a year from now when FH4 had it's 2 expansions, I finished RDR2 and Odyssey then I might give TC2 a proper try again. Who knows, it might stick or I might get bored from it within a week as well.

My Crew 2 burnout wasn't even after completing all singleplayer content by the way, I just lost interest doing that. I did reach the final race at 1 of the disciplines but didn't with the others. Absolute cockblock disasters like a 30 minute hypercar race being an absolute waste of time alienated me quickly from the game. And that retard Black Panthaa even convincing the devs that after the closed/open beta the progression was too fast and it needed to be slowed down... LMAO. Well he sure got what he asked for, my progression is so much slowed it just stopped now. :P

Yes but in what medium will that be released? FH4 first expansion....

Good point there - Even if there was something groundbreaking released with the PvP update, I'm not sure it would be enough to drag me away from the Horizon expansion (likely to be released around the end of the year too).

Speaking of BlackPanthaa, he just released a video about this subject:

I wasn't phased about his opinion when he was ranting about how quickly it was to progress in the demo, but I seriously disagree with his sentiment now. I've probably been somewhat spoilt by how the Forza series gives you bucketloads of cars and credits, but I feel my main issue with TC2 is how unrewarding progression feels, and Theo's input really didn't help with that. The sooner Ivory Tower can fix that, the better.

Seeing as the first year is only going to consist of free (i.e. incremental) updates, I'm keeping my expectations low. What this game needs is a "Wild Run" style update, perhaps one year after launch. It's a lengthy wait, but given the prospect of a less crowded market and E3 conference to generate hype, it would be the perfect time to release a paid expansion.

Only trouble is if it backfires, we could potentially be looking at a ~£90 wasted investment. :boggled:

Good point there - Even if there was something groundbreaking released with the PvP update, I'm not sure it would be enough to drag me away from the Horizon expansion (likely to be released around the end of the year too).

Speaking of BlackPanthaa, he just released a video about this subject:

I wasn't phased about his opinion when he was ranting about how quickly it was to progress in the demo, but I seriously disagree with his sentiment now. I've probably been somewhat spoilt by how the Forza series gives you bucketloads of cars and credits, but I feel my main issue with TC2 is how unrewarding progression feels, and Theo's input really didn't help with that. The sooner Ivory Tower can fix that, the better.

Seeing as the first year is only going to consist of free (i.e. incremental) updates, I'm keeping my expectations low. What this game needs is a "Wild Run" style update, perhaps one year after launch. It's a lengthy wait, but given the prospect of a less crowded market and E3 conference to generate hype, it would be the perfect time to release a paid expansion.

Only trouble is if it backfires, we could potentially be looking at a ~£90 wasted investment. :boggled:

Essentially Theo (BlackPanthaa) VS. the rest of the racing game community.

Essentially Theo (BlackPanthaa) VS. the rest of the racing game community.

That guy is just an idiot, period. In that video he first said he likes TC2 more than FH4, then later he says he wishes TC2 was more like FH4... uhm... yeah Theo, whatever floats your boat.

I do agree with him that TC2 is a great base for “something”, but that something sure is lacking big time now.

FH4 went on a home run this year IMO. I already consider it one of the best racing games ever and for this year it is a strong candidate for GOTY for me, that is huge realising it launched in the same year as RDR2, AC:embarrassed:D, FC5 and BFV. Eventually I think RDR2 or even BFV will take the crown (for me personally) but I’m not counting out FH4 just yet.

I just wish they did something with TC1
Have those in game achievements to gain more customization.
Even if it's just vanity license plates.
Then the whole not having PVP in game at launch was another let down.
Season pass cars are (Already going to be rotating into other "Specs")

I believe TC2 is gone.
Nothing would save TC2.

I feel like TC2 was still rushed.
I think the delay was because it wasn't a game back then.
Then now.
It's a game but is it what it should be? No.
I think TC2 should of been delayed again until the "Holiday"
At lease then in "Theory" would release with PVP.

What's your thoughts on TC 2 if it should of been delayed even more to finish what should of been in game since day 1?

That guy is just an idiot, period. In that video he first said he likes TC2 more than FH4, then later he says he wishes TC2 was more like FH4... uhm... yeah Theo, whatever floats your boat.

I do agree with him that TC2 is a great base for “something”, but that something sure is lacking big time now.

FH4 went on a home run this year IMO. I already consider it one of the best racing games ever and for this year it is a strong candidate for GOTY for me, that is huge realising it launched in the same year as RDR2, AC:embarrassed:D, FC5 and BFV. Eventually I think RDR2 or even BFV will take the crown (for me personally) but I’m not counting out FH4 just yet.

The funny thing is, is that that base which is good "for something", is largely the same base that existed with The Crew 1. Instead of building on that base, like they tried to do post-release with TC1, they just cut a lot of that stuff away and threw in boats and planes with their own limited set of half-baked events.

Theo's takes on Forza Horizon, and racing games in general, are just alien to me. He's a hardcore Need for Speed fan, despite that series being mediocre for years now. He dislikes the "story" and characters in Horizon (to the extent they even exist), but apparently has no issue with the nuclear levels of cringe in the NFS stories.

FH4's one stumbling block so far, has been the multiplayer options - but Theo doesn't even care about multiplayer anyway!

I just wish they did something with TC1
Have those in game achievements to gain more customization.
Even if it's just vanity license plates.
Then the whole not having PVP in game at launch was another let down.
Season pass cars are (Already going to be rotating into other "Specs")

I believe TC2 is gone.
Nothing would save TC2.

I feel like TC2 was still rushed.
I think the delay was because it wasn't a game back then.
Then now.
It's a game but is it what it should be? No.
I think TC2 should of been delayed again until the "Holiday"
At lease then in "Theory" would release with PVP.

What's your thoughts on TC 2 if it should of been delayed even more to finish what should of been in game since day 1?

They should have been given more dev time, and they should never have put the boats and planes into the game. The time they spent on implementing those two vehicle types, would have been infinitely better spent adding more detail and character to the open world, and fleshing out the car racing options.

Even if you LIKE the idea of the boats and planes, there's no arguing that their inclusion severely compromised the overall package. Even the open world actually looks worse than the original game, because they had to account for the LOD while hundreds of metres in the air in an airplane.

And an online racing game launching in 2018 without player-vs-player multiplayer (for six months), is just ridiculous.

That's hard to tell because arguably, PvP should have been in the game since day 1 but we have virtually no idea how PvP will be implemented in The Crew 2.

In addition, the number of games coming out this Holiday season (as with every other Holiday season) would have seriously hampered sales if it launched with mediocre scores, and I can't see anything that has been added to-date that would improve metacritic scores by any significant margin. TC2 got away with it since it was launched in a quiet season, just after E3.

my main issue with *game* is how unrewarding progression feels

inb4 "try saying that in the GT section and not laugh hysterically at the responses".

In all seriousness, Theo is to racing games in general what MrChaoticFTPointFour is to GTA, and the less developers listen to his input, the better off the game will be - it really is that simple. I recall when he first started spouting nonsense about how TC2 "wasn't grindy enough" and basically everyone in these forums disagreed with that.

With all that out of the way, yeah, there is an argument to be made that the rewards system is more of a hindrance to gameplay than a valuable addition. It's gotten a bit better, courtesy of the occational discounts and the Fame Magnet set bonus, but the root of the issue persists. It doesn't exactly help that most event types have unnecessarily limited themselves to be extremely repetitive. I mean, I can't blame the variety of vehicle types and disciplines on offer (because it does provide plenty of opportunities for online shenanigans), but there's barely any depth to them. I mean, surely there are more than ten roads on the map? And any discipline not subject to this is limited to a handful of locations anyway. Speaking of which, if they add some form of route creator, please let it not be limited for some nonsense reason.

Personally, I'm kind of hoping for a CAU-but-properly-balanced style expansion, solely because there's only so many games out there that'll let you do stuff like that (also livery editor), but expectations for that are barely existent. Even if I can think of a pretty convincing way of fitting it into the whole Motornation thing.

Also insert cheeky dig at the amount of general forum activity and exposure not really helping to "keep the faith alive" here. And yes, I'm proud of that pun. Send help.

Speaking of help, the TVR. Let's talk about that for a moment.

I love how they've given it the handling model of a muscle car. Given that the Sagaris has the handling of any regular sports car, it's good to know TVR's decided the 17th century is just too modern for them. Aside from the dashboard, obviously. That's a sight to behold.

Theo's takes on Forza Horizon, and racing games in general, are just alien to me. He's a hardcore Need for Speed fan, despite that series being mediocre for years now. He dislikes the "story" and characters in Horizon (to the extent they even exist), but apparently has no issue with the nuclear levels of cringe in the NFS stories.

He's been a VIP guest to a few NFS reveal events over the past few years, as well as being given info ahead of anyone else by EA... of course he likes the new NFS games. I would too if EA were paying me a sweet little bonus.

To me it's a sad reflection of how poorly managed TVR's marketing department is (if they even have one, their press release reveal photos were atrocious for example).

It's all just been very poorly managed from the outset, and to choose 'The Crew 2' as the first game to licence your car to, as opposed to, say, Forza Horizon 4 that is set in England, has significantly more brand history and install base etc.

It just makes TVR look inexperienced, which is what they are, and it doesn't reflect well on the company. Hopefully they can glue a car together at least, but who knows.

He's been a VIP guest to a few NFS reveal events over the past few years, as well as being given info ahead of anyone else by EA... of course he likes the new NFS games. I would too if EA were paying me a sweet little bonus.

Ubisoft has also invited Theo (and a number of other racing game YouTubers) to special PR events, this one springs to mind.

It just makes TVR look inexperienced, which is what they are, and it doesn't reflect well on the company. Hopefully they can glue a car together at least, but who knows.
How does putting a car in a game that isn't something like Forza make an entire brand look inexperienced?

Racing game marketing fluff, the real gauge of a brand's success I guess.

How does putting a car in a game that isn't something like Forza make an entire brand look inexperienced?
I think he believes that the Griffith should've been in a sim racer first before going into an arcade racer.

I think he believes that the Griffith should've been in a sim racer first before going into an arcade racer.

If a manufacturer wants to promote their car in a video game, I don't think choosing a sim racer or arcade racer is a big deal. I'm pretty sure Mercedes-Benz had some deal going on with Mario Kart 8 at one point - It doesn't matter how realistic a game is, what matters is the potential reach.

Even if The Crew 2 is considered "dead", the game shifted a respectable number of units so I don't think this was a bad move on TVR's part. Plus it is not like TVR has granted Ubisoft exclusivity over the Grittith, the Forza Horizon 4 DLC timeline is still in its early stages so I wouldn't rule out the Griffith also making an appearance in FH4.

Took my Drift R34 out for a spin. Slapped a Blitz livery on it and it's not that bad for an AWD.

Back