The 2020 George Floyd/BLM/Police Brutality Protests Discussion Thread

A lawyer doesn't have to agree with what someone did to represent them.

Indeed. The purpose of a defence lawyer is to act as a balance against the prosecutor in order to ensure a fair trial. The point of a fair trial is to establish wether it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that the accused did commit the crime, and you can’t really prove anything unless you have a good defence to point out the flaws in the prosecution. Without a good defence the “truth” would be pretty much anything the prosecution claims.

So when a lawyer is defending a murderer, they are actually defending the legal process as much as they are defending their client.

Absolutely heartbroken.

I've neglected to post anything about this for quite some time because I'm not black and frankly, I can't put myself in their shoes. I know, cliche of me to say that I've held off on talking about this blah blah blah. Sorry.

1. I've watched the video. Murder. I felt as if I watched the guy die before my eyes. It's terrifying. I will not watch it again. It makes me sick to my stomach.

2. I fully stand with minorities and the fact that they are consistently looked down on. Racism does exist. They don't have privilege. White privilege totally exists.

3. Buildings can be replaced, lives cannot. Agreed. But these people burning down buildings are not the same people peacefully protesting. Live coverage last night showed peaceful protesters telling looters to stop breaking windows.

4. Yes, there needs to be change. Protest is not wrong.

5. I don't have a fifth point in my mind right now. I'm trying to process the fact that I have just watched and listened to live coverage of my favorite city on Earth being burned to ground. Actually it's still going on and a possible standoff right now at 1:33am local time. This comes hours after police chiefs marched with protesters in different areas throughout the local area peacefully. Four police officers have been shot by violent protesters tonight. Firefighters have had rocks thrown at them as they try to put out a fires, firetrucks blocked by protesters for them to even get to the scene. Firefighters scattered areas they were trying to alleviate due to gun fire. This has gone way to far. The streets I drive everyday, walk weekly during the summer, and love to death; are being burned to the ground.

----------------------------------------

I realize my emotion over the city I love being torched may seem higher than a man's life lost. It is, and I won't pretend it's not. I don't have an emotional connection with a random guy in Minneapolis. Yes, it's very disturbing. And it does upset me. A lot. I've already stated that. And change needs to happen around the country. But my God I'm having quite an emotional reaction to watching my city be burned down.

I love you, St. Louis. A dangerous, fun and loving giant small town home. I love you.

I'm exhausted, worried, and scared. Heartbroken.

I was just listening to a podcast called "More Perfect" that analyzes, discusses and provides context and history of pivotal Supreme Court cases. I had just listened to an episode on the 1989 case Graham v. Connor, which dealt with prosecution of police in excessive force situations. In short, it's been generally held since then that juries must consider only the instant at which the officer used force and determine whether it was reasonable or not. That has now been twisted by officers as a cop-out to get off on excessive force charges.

I would imagine the third degree murder and manslaughter charges to be a "minimum" charge while additional evidence is gathered. It's clear that the state had no choice but to immediately charge Derek Chauvin with at least something to try to placate the (rightfully) angry community. They went with what is pretty clear cut; I would expect if prosecution finds additional evidence before the trial that they think is strong enough of a case to convict on, they will upgrade the charges.

--

The video and what those four police officers did and did not do is absolutely disgusting. Watching it, I am heartbroken and angry. How can someone, someone who is supposed to serve and protect, take away a life so callously?

All of the officers involved deserve to have the proverbial book thrown at them, be prosecuted and convicted and locked away. This was not policing. This was murder.

Last edited:
Yep, part of this repeating trend of people taking everything at immediate face value. There's enough going on to display over-reaching police without making up extra details.

BTW, that claim sounded far-fetched as soon as the video was done. The whole demeanor there feels off for an FBI agent or police discovering he's one.

As a Lloyd that 'oy' swap is a nearly daily occurrence in emails/notes to me. It's the thought that counts I guess.

Yuuup, this is a daily occurrence, even my own relatives frequently get it wrong. You'd think they'd at least check that before Tweeting about something so serious though.

I'm not sure, but I think serving the minimum time for 3rd degree murder concurrently with manslaughter, given time off for good behavior, a person could conceivably be walking the streets again in as few as two years. He would serving his term in some type of protective "country club" prison to ensure his safety from the general population. Possibly. Or he could be put in solitary for his protection. I wouldn't doubt that he already has gang connections in prison.
I'd just like to point out, speaking as someone who's worked in nearly every prison in Michigan's lower peninsula, while the federal prison system may have some "nice" prisons that some high income ceo tax evader Martha Stewart type might go to, 99% of prisons arent nice at all. In fact, most are becoming quite dilapidated. At best, if the cop is lucky enough to get 2 years or less he might go to a county jail. If he actually enters the prison system, well, he's not in the income bracket that supports the right charities to get him into a "nice" prison. In this case, his best chance is having a warden and guards that support him and will keep him segregated. That is, if it's a gov operated corrections facility. If it's private, well, yep. He better learn how to apply pressure to those muscles that will let him kiss his butt goodbye.

If anybody is out there protesting [peacefully I hope], stay safe.

Trump supported the Chinese government during the Tiananmen Square Massacre where countless civilians were killed by the Chinese military.

Tiananmen_Square_Tank-GettyImages-517198274.jpg

https://www.playboy.com/read/playboy-interview-donald-trump-1990

If anybody is out there protesting [peacefully I hope], stay safe.

Trump supported the Chinese government during the Tiananmen Square Massacre where countless civilians were killed by the Chinese military.

Tiananmen_Square_Tank-GettyImages-517198274.jpg

https://www.playboy.com/read/playboy-interview-donald-trump-1990

I recently saw a wider view of this scene which makes it even more striking.

ckjwvrVl.jpg

Just saw this as well

YhGdm34.jpg

Called it!

Wouldn't be surprised if these guys are on the way there as we speak, saying, 'Donny said we could shoot!'

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F61e2247a-8b96-11ea-9ea5-63981dbe6eb1.jpg

And you have to hand it to Trump, he knows what he's about and what works despite not having a shred of shame.

f_mo_trump_bible_200601_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg

Last edited:
Trump cares only about being seen to be the best - he's happy to berate China (and anyone who supports them over US interests) while at the same time he also seems happy to emulate or out-do them.

The civil rights movement that has been reignited by George Floyd's murder is another opportunity for Trump to show his understanding of US values, laws and rights. Unfortunately, and predictably, it is turning out to be yet another opportunity for him to demonstrate his total lack of such understanding.

Trump is correct that violence and rioting must be deal with, but by attempting to shut down protest at the same time - and his apparent readiness to use overwhelming force to achieve whatever ends he deems fit - he's openly demonstrating a disdain for US values. US citizens have a right to protest. Freedom of speech, the right to assembly and the right to protest are as much US values as the right to self-defence, and these things (among others) are what set nations like the US apart from the likes of China and other totalitarian regimes where individual rights pretty much don't exist.

-

And you have to hand it to Trump, he knows what he's about and what works despite not having a shred of shame.

f_mo_trump_bible_200601_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg
#BlackBooksMatter

Trump cares only about being seen to be the best - he's happy to berate China (and anyone who supports them over US interests) while at the same time he also seems happy to emulate or out-do them.

The civil rights movement that has been reignited by George Floyd's murder is another opportunity for Trump to show his understanding of US values, laws and rights. Unfortunately, and predictably, it is turning out to be yet another opportunity for him to demonstrate his total lack of such understanding.

Trump is correct that violence and rioting must be deal with, but by attempting to shut down protest at the same time - and his apparent readiness to use overwhelming force to achieve whatever ends he deems fit - he's openly demonstrating a disdain for US values. US citizens have a right to protest. Freedom of speech, the right to assembly and the right to protest are as much US values as the right to self-defence, and these things (among others) are what set nations like the US apart from the likes of China and other totalitarian regimes where individual rights pretty much don't exist.

-

#BlackBooksMatter
Prominent NYT pundit Tom Friedman and also a BET executive have called for the peaceful protests to end, as their legitimacy is being undermined by the violent riots.

They're also taking police forces away from being able to properly police the looters and rioters. I think that's fair. They've been protesting for a week not. Take a break for a few days while the bad seeds get weeded out.

I don’t have a lot to say.

I’m just tired of my people being killed with the murderers facing no justice.

Derek Chauvin has been arrested and charged with third-degree murder.

I don’t have a lot to say.

Where are you seeing no justice? It's been known for days now the main officer is getting charged with 3rd degree murder & 2nd degree manslaughter. The Minnesota DA has said yesterday he will charge all 4 to the highest accountability, and is making sure his prosecution isn't rushed into false accusations.

I’m horrified.
I’m horrified by all sides of this entire situation. As a law abiding peaceful citizen, after seeing what’s happened nearby last night, and hearing the sirens firework explosions and gunshots through my window last night and hearing the communications of local law enforcement on a radio I’m horrified.
Arson looting and theft are not protests.
I wish my local govt was being more proactive in terms of additional resources.
Luckily no one here is dumb enough to fall into this gigantic racebaiting narrative which pits citizen against citizen.
This too will pass.
I never thought I would see this type of behavior tolerated. No one here is like any of these idiots making videos about taking matters into their own hands which is calming.

I'm not black and frankly, I can't put myself in their shoes.

Yes you can. Use your imagination.

2. I fully stand with minorities and the fact that they are consistently looked down on. Racism does exist. They don't have privilege. White privilege totally exists.

We all have some form of "privilege" and some unearned burden.

I realize my emotion over the city I love being torched may seem higher than a man's life lost. It is, and I won't pretend it's not. I don't have an emotional connection with a random guy in Minneapolis. Yes, it's very disturbing. And it does upset me. A lot. I've already stated that. And change needs to happen around the country. But my God I'm having quite an emotional reaction to watching my city be burned down.

They're separate events. You can be disgusted at both.

We've had a police issue in the US (for all members of society) for a long time. We continue to.

Who gets the vast majority of force from the fascist police forces? Minorities. Specifically, Black people who fight against the white systems of power held up by settler-capitalism.

There's a lot to unpack there. I'd start out by saying "men" to answer your question. But the real answer is that it doesn't matter. Police brutality is unacceptable, full stop. No need to qualify it.

Where are you seeing no justice? It's been known for days now the main officer is getting charged with 3rd degree murder & 2nd degree manslaughter. The Minnesota DA has said yesterday he will charge all 4 to the highest accountability, and is making sure his prosecution isn't rushed into false accusations.
It only took mass demonstrations from every major city to compel prosecutors to charge the officer.

It only took mass demonstrations from every major city to compel prosecutors to charge the officer.
You may want to hold your horses on that claim.

Floyd was killed on May 25th. Chauvin was fired May 26th, arrested & charged May 29th. It can take a couple days for a prosecutor to file criminal charges, and the Minnesota AG has already said he is making sure everything is gone over to get the conviction.

Yes you can. Use your imagination.
No, I cannot. That would be part of the issue. Imagining isn't living.

Sure, I can use my imagination and pretend to know what it would be like, but I can't legitimately see what they go through from their own eyes. I'm not black.

I can't say I know what it feels like to be an African American targeted unfairly by fellow citizens.

Can you?

Last edited:
Back