The 3 Greatest F1 Drivers Of All Time?

Who Are The 3 Greatest F1 Drivers Of All Time?

• Total voters
As I said in my first post in this thread, my top seven is

- CLARK
- FANGIO
- LAUDA
- PROST
- SENNA
- SCHUMACHER
- STEWART

So, comparing with that graphic, missing in the top tier are Lauda and Stewart, and Graham Hill IMO belongs in the 2nd tier (should replace Hakkinen, IMO). I would promote Ascari, Piquet Sr. and Fittipaldi to that 2nd tier too, alongside Moss and (for sentimental reasons, I'll admit) Gilles.

As for the others, I don't think any active driver should be placed on the list so I'd take out Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Kimi).

Brabham definitely belongs in an "all-time" F1 drivers list. Mansell, Hakkinen, Surtees and Rindt, more debatable.

I'm assuming the last line of drivers is just for laughs.

So, after 215.000 fans have taken part in the survey, there is also a result of who were voted as the most favorite drivers:

1) Senna
2) Schumacher
3) Prost

Unfortunately, there is only this ranking without any numbers.

Mansell, Prost and Alonso. I was stuck between Alonso and Senna, but I choose Alonso for his ability to adapt to different cars, Senna could do this too but I don't believe he could do it as quickly.

Although, I believe a problem that lies in this is that many of these drove in different eras, cars, etc. so it's very difficult to choose with good reason.

Since it's hard to compare eras I think it's important to base it on who was the fastest of their eras and who was able to shine through in the worst conditions. To me pure speed is the most amazing thing these drivers can possess and I think it should also be the most important.

In that case no one can touch Senna. He is clearly the greatest ever and the fastest ever. Fellow rain master and easily the most successful driver, Schumacher should be number 2, as well as Fangio and Clark. Gilles is way up there as well. His stats don't back it up but he was absolutely incredible with what he had

My problem is I still feel that the 80's is the best era, and other than Senna, one guy shone through as well in that era which I consider the greatest. His rival, Prost. That's why I voted for Prost instead of Clark or Fangio but it's a toss up between them.

But to me, Senna is at the top by far, with Schumacher as the next best by far as well.

And frankly, I find it silly that anyone would mention drivers from our current era like Hamilton or Alonso. Hamilton is clearly talented and will go down in the record books but I don't think you can compare any of the current drivers to the past drivers. Especially when paid drives has become so prevalent, and the cars are so much more tame than ever before. Although Hamilton is clearly the best of this era. Sorry Alonso fans but he got beat by Hamilton when he was a complete rookie. Imagine if they were on the same team now when Lewis is better than ever before.

Senna, Schumacher and Alonso.

Even though Alonso hasn't won the most races, I genuinely believe he is the best driver in the field at the moment and has been for a while. He just needs the right car...

It's really hard to pick 3 though, as drivers like Clarke, Prost, Vettel and Fangio are hard to leave out...

There are compelling reasons to compare Vettel to Alonso.

He's only had one relatively bum season in F1, 2014 against Ricciardo (where he still finished 5th). But then Ricciardo had a relatively poor season alongside Kyvat this year... which illustrates how hard it is to judge things based on just one season.

Vettel's championships are similar to Alonso's. Won based on qualifying pace, in cars that weren't the quickest in a straight line. And won using unusual technologies that demanded a very specific and unorthodox driving style.

Vettel has received a lot of flak that I feel is undeserved. Whatever people may say, the man can definitely overtake. And he can drive. Even in his "bad" season against Ricciardo, he's shown some canny racecraft, great starts, great overtaking, gutsy driving. This year in Ferrari, he drove an excellent season, and was able to show some of that qualifying genius that got him his four titles, even if the car isn't up to Mercedes-level race pace, yet.

There are compelling reasons to compare Vettel to Alonso.

He's only had one relatively bum season in F1, 2014 against Ricciardo (where he still finished 5th). But then Ricciardo had a relatively poor season alongside Kyvat this year... which illustrates how hard it is to judge things based on just one season

To be fair on this, Ricciardo held a Strong Qualifying record, and retired/compromised in stronger races not from his own fault(Hungary and Spa alone he would of lost close to 20 points).

When a car is bad and with reliability issues the points can be very mixed up if the drivers are somewhat close, it's only when one dominates badly that it stands out.

In 2014 Vettel was beaten in Qualifying and the races and it stayed consistently similar throughout the season suggesting lack of form may not be the case, compare that to Ricciardo vs Kyvat this year and You can see Ricciardo held the Qualifying advantage(stronger then even against Vettel) and beat Kyvat most times when both finished(without an issue) , and a few races he was significantly faster(Hungary, Singapore, Spa most notably).

Last edited:
Clark, Prost, Ascari

Jim Clark
While I'm not old enough to see him race. Through what I've read and footage I've seen. Jim Clark is my favorite driver. Just a glimpse at his stats makes him an easy choice for Greatest all time.

Alain Prost
I always thought Senna was an outright faster driver than Prost, But I feel like Prost was always a more complete driver. He had amazing speed and intelligence behind the wheel.

Alberto Ascari
I cant believe I'm the only vote for Ascari. In a 5 year career, He won the Championship twice.
His first F1 Win was over a 2nd place Juan Manuel Fangio at the Nurburgring in the 1951 German Grand Prix.
33 Entries / 13 Wins / 17 Podiums / 14 Poles / 12 Fastest Laps

Edit:
Ascari also holds the record for the Highest Percentage of Wins in a season at 75% Winning 6/8 in 1952

To be fair on this, Ricciardo held a Strong Qualifying record, and retired/compromised in stronger races not from his own fault(Hungary and Spa alone he would of lost close to 20 points)

I agree. I think Ricciardo's showed his talent in 2015 by running the car very quickly when reliability would allow. I daresay that in a few years we'll be seeing his name up there in the stats. 2016 could turn out to be "his" year if Renault (or Ilmor, or whoever) have nailed down their problems.

hello gtp i have updated ranking from indonesian shadow puppet board

enjoy

>GOAT TIER
Schumacher

>GOD TIER
Prost
Fangio
G. Hill
Moss
Stewart

>GREAT TIER
Senna
Hakkinen
Vettel
Hamilton
Piquet
Fittipaldi
Clark
Lauda
Mansell
Alonso
Ascari
Brabham
Reutemann
Ickx

>NICE TIER
Hunt
Both Villeneuves
D. Hill
Farina
Hawthorn
P. Hill
Hulme
Surtees
Rindt
N. Rosberg
Button
Raikkonen

>MEH TIER
Sheckter
Jones
K. Rosberg

>RUINED CAREER (life is unfair)
Barrichello
Coulthard
Di Resta
Fisichella
Berger
Alesi
Heidfeld

>DED/INJURY (but could reach great or god tier)
Kubica
Bianchi
Cevert
Pironi
Revson
Massa

enjoy

>GOAT TIER
Schumacher

>GOD TIER
Prost
Fangio
G. Hill
Moss
Stewart

>GREAT TIER
Senna
Hakkinen
Vettel
Hamilton
Piquet
Fittipaldi
Clark
Lauda
Mansell
Alonso
Ascari
Brabham
Reutemann
Ickx

>NICE TIER
Hunt
Both Villeneuves
D. Hill
Farina
Hawthorn
P. Hill
Hulme
Surtees
Rindt
N. Rosberg
Button
Raikkonen

>MEH TIER
Sheckter
Jones
K. Rosberg

Barrichello
Coulthard
Di Resta
Fisichella
Berger
Alesi
Heidfeld

Kubica
Bianchi
Cevert
Pironi
Revson
Massa
Im sorry but Graham hill is not above Clark in any way.

enjoy

>GOAT TIER
Schumacher

>GOD TIER
Prost
Fangio
G. Hill
Moss
Stewart

>GREAT TIER
Senna
Hakkinen
Vettel
Hamilton
Piquet
Fittipaldi
Clark
Lauda
Mansell
Alonso
Ascari
Brabham
Reutemann
Ickx

>NICE TIER
Hunt
Both Villeneuves
D. Hill
Farina
Hawthorn
P. Hill
Hulme
Surtees
Rindt
N. Rosberg
Button
Raikkonen

>MEH TIER
Sheckter
Jones
K. Rosberg

Barrichello
Coulthard
Di Resta
Fisichella
Berger
Alesi
Heidfeld

Kubica
Bianchi
Cevert
Pironi
Revson
Massa
Moss, Fangio, and G. Hill are overrated. Clark needs to be moved above Stewart.

I also think Brabham is a little underrated.

>GOAT TIER
Schumacher

Fine. I have quibbles with the whole "God" "Demi God" "Great" tier system that seems to permeate racing boards but for argument's sake, I'd have Schumacher up there.

>GOD TIER
Prost
Fangio
G. Hill
Moss
Stewart

Fine enough. Prost, Stewart and Fangio are rightly three of the greatest ever.

Dotini has commented before that Graham Hill was impossibly brilliant but fantastically boring. Tough to know where that would put him on a "best" drivers list. I'd say there were some names missing from this section though.

Moss drove some tough cars in a tough area and was undoubtedly a top driver but is he as good as some of these drivers listed below?

>GREAT TIER
Senna
Hakkinen
Vettel
Hamilton
Piquet
Fittipaldi
Clark
Lauda
Mansell
Alonso
Ascari
Brabham
Reutemann
Ickx

Senna is behind Moss? Interesting choice.

Clark definitely should be further up the list.

A portion of this seems to be lumping in some drivers from a long 20 year period whose careers overlapped in some way' Brabham > Fittipaldi > Lauda > Piquet > Mansell. It can be a blur looking back in retrospect and thinking the late 1960s and the late 1970s are roughly comparable but they're not. Either that or there are simply too many people.

Häkkinen was a superb driver, probably slots somewhere in the upper-mid, fine.

Ickx is an interesting one and related to a point I made earlier which no-one answered. He is without question one of the very best motorsport drivers who has ever sat in a cockpit but is he one of the very best F1 drivers ever? His intermittent career would lead me to say no.

Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton are all still racing; I'd rather pass comment on them once they have retired and their careers have aged some more. Alonso is one of the new millennium's best though.

>NICE TIER
Hunt
Both Villeneuves
D. Hill
Farina
Hawthorn
P. Hill
Hulme
Surtees
Rindt
N. Rosberg
Button
Raikkonen

Again, Button, Rosberg and Räikkönen you couldn't say.

I personally would have Surtees much higher up.

Even mentioning Jacques and Gilles Villeneuve in the same sentence is worthy of a gaol sentence.

Now Hunt is an interesting one. I might be on my own here but I'd have him down as more of a 'meh' driver. That's not to say that he wasn't good but he had a brief two year shine (Hesketh 1975 and McLaren 1976) but never really did much else (even if the cars were guff, I know) and seemed very uninterested by the time he retired as a driver. His legend seems to come more from his commentary career, which was backed up in credibility by him being a world champion.

Damon Hill is criminally underrated in my opinion.

>MEH TIER
Sheckter
Jones
K. Rosberg

Three champions from the same time period. Not a lot to be said, eh?

Like I said, there's probably too many to list. You can't really start ranking so many drivers and not carry on; all the world champions are there but is that out of necessity? I don't think a list of the greatest drivers needs to have all the world champions.

Just to round things off, let's take a look at the last two sections:

Barrichello
Coulthard
Di Resta
Fisichella
Berger
Alesi
Heidfeld

Barrichello is my all time #1. Of course he had a ruined career which could have been so much more but objectively, he's probably still one of the what ifs. It's unfortunate that his move to a big team coincided with his teammate dominating the sport at a then unprecedented level. His early drivers for Jordan and Stewart, which were utterly sublime given the machinery, have largely been overshadowed by his time as Schumacher's official back up.

Berger probably got where he would have but maybe he had the same problem as Barrichello; he was Senna's #2 when he got the jump to McLaren and his Ferrari days were during the company's down periods.

Alesi definitely could have been so much more. His heart took him to Ferrari when his head should have taken him to Williams. He would have been a multiple champion had he signed for Williams, make no mistake.

Fisichella, Coulthard and Heidfeld got what they deserved.

di Resta? Are you kidding?

Kubica
Bianchi
Cevert
Pironi
Revson
Massa

Ifs, buts and maybes. Again, you can't list some but not others. Bianchi and Kubica shouldn't be on this list.

But hey, it's your opinion and I'm happy you shared it with us. Always makes for an interesting discussion.

I'm going to sort all of mine into tiers, too. I have only included those that have won a world championship. 👍

PLATINUM RATING

Michael Schumacher
Juan Manuel Fangio
Alain Prost
Sebastian Vettel
Ayrton Senna
Fernando Alonso

GOLD RATING

Lewis Hamilton - On the brink of becoming Platinum.
Jim Clark - Also very close to Platinum.
Emerson Fittipaldi
Niki Lauda
Jack Brabham
Jackie Stewart
Nigel Mansell
Nelson Piquet
Damon Hill
Mika Hakkinen

SILVER RATING

Jochen Rindt - Could possibly be Gold had he not suffered tragically.
Mario Andretti - Very close to Gold.
Alberto Ascari
Graham Hill
John Surtees
Kimi Raikkonen
James Hunt

BRONZE RATING

Guiseppe Farina
Mike Hawthorn
Phil Hill
Denny Hulme
Jody Scheckter