The A.I, Stoned or Stupid?

• Thread starter Craig HP
  • 32 comments
So yesterday I was doing the GT Cup, and I was racing at Trail Mountain in a TVR. I spun early in the race, and lost lots of time, so I started driving more agressively, trying to get back to first place, but I spun again. So then I was driving like smething possesed trying to get back to first place, even cutting across the grass sometimes. I did get back to first place, but then just after the last corner, coming up to the finishing line, I spun, and lost most of my forward momentuem. Now you'd think I would have lost the win wouldn't you. Well no actually. The bloody A.I came crashing straight into my side and pushed me across the flipping finish line, when he could have quite easily overtaken me and won himself. So I ask, has anything similar happened to anyone else on Gran Turismo?

The AI are ignorant. If they see something infront, either it moves or they'll ram you. Luckily they rammed you to victory :P

I've had this happen to me, but instead of an AI it was my human opponent! :lol:

I do, but that was because I spun and intentionally blocked the AI's path so he will push me over the finish line. The AI in GT1 is more 'lively' than in GT2 (it's able to think more for itself) so if you give them a bit more space they MAY pass you and leave you in the dust when you spun. As it turns out for you though, maybe you didn't give them enough space so they couldn't react fast enough and...you know what happens next.

I do, but that was because I spun and intentionally blocked the AI's path so he will push me over the finish line. The AI in GT1 is more 'lively' than in GT2 (it's able to think more for itself) so if you give them a bit more space they MAY pass you and leave you in the dust when you spun. As it turns out for you though, maybe you didn't give them enough space so they couldn't react fast enough and...you know what happens next.
I didn't spin by purpose, I just lost control of the flipping car. I'm almost certain that he was about two truck lengths behind me, so I did give him enough room!

I'm not saying you spun on purpose,nor do I. What I say was I spun (not on purpose) then blocked the AI's path (purposely) so he will push me over the finish line. Anyway, no harm done. Just clearing some misunderstandings 👍.

Well then,maybe in your case the AI just had a lapse or something :lol:.

I'm not saying you spun on purpose,nor do I. What I say was I spun (not on purpose) then blocked the AI's path (purposely) so he will push me over the finish line. Anyway, no harm done. Just clearing some misunderstandings 👍.

Well then,maybe in your case the AI just had a lapse or something :lol:.
Maybe he was drunk! :lol:

The A.I. are non-responsive; they are programmed to follow a certain line around the track. They only seem responsive if you are trying to cut into their line. In this case, you ran into it.

This explains how some cars run into walls and stay there for the duration of a race.

On topic, I was racing in the ZZ Challenge at Grindelwald, and on the start, I gained 20 seconds after all of the A.I. cars ran into the inside wall of the start/finish straight and spun.

Well that race wasn't much of a challenge then:lol:. Do you know why for some reason the AI almost always ran into the inside wall if you race at Grindelwald reverse? It's like they forget the track is reversed and turned left (the first turn in the normal track is left,you see).

That they do. It is easy to make that mistake though in programming any game as such.
That happened with me a couple of years back. Strangley though not every AI did it, only 3 of them did. At the start 3 cars turned left into the wall and got stuck there for almost half a minute! :lol:

In my case every time that happens all 5 of them ran into the wall (happens most often in manufacturers' races). So it's like a synchronised crashing AI field :lol:.

Christ.. it's GT1 for crying out loud. Geez. Get GT5 and join the online revolution that is GT before we all murder you. Oh erm... wait.

Sorry, got carried away, and if you trace back the discussion the first one who went 'off course' to GT2 was superberkut(although I'm equally wrong for forgetting this is a GT1 forum).

Sadly,I don't own a PS3 and GT5 for that matter,so I don't really understand the last part of your post. I'll take it as a joke :).

I kinda get the point now VIP3R, thanks for the vid.

It's easy to get the GT1 & 2 forums mixed, the 2 games relate a lot.

Even if the AI programming is the same, the GT2 programming has more mistakes ;) I have yet to see a GT1 AI get stuck at a certain point in the race.

tha AI r really anoying
they stick 2 there lines at any cost
they always push ma MAZDA COSMO on 2 tha grass and me geting all agro
go full throtal and then i spin out they and yet they r still tha same on gt4
ow man will they eva learn manours
lol

Even if the AI programming is the same, the GT2 programming has more mistakes ;) I have yet to see a GT1 AI get stuck at a certain point in the race.

Rest assured, it is possible, but you are correct; GT1 had more developing time and less deadline pressure, being the first game of its kind.

I raced in Trial Mountain in the Anglo-Japanese Championship a while back, and an NSX ran off the road (bumped by a Supra) and stuck.

Now that you mention it, I think I have seen a GTO TT get stuck in the first tunnel at Trial Mountain before. But he resumed the race after around 3 laps.

I think it's the Japan vs US Championship.

The A.I. are non-responsive; they are programmed to follow a certain line around the track. They only seem responsive if you are trying to cut into their line. In this case, you ran into it.

This explains how some cars run into walls and stay there for the duration of a race.

On topic, I was racing in the ZZ Challenge at Grindelwald, and on the start, I gained 20 seconds after all of the A.I. cars ran into the inside wall of the start/finish straight and spun.

Has the A.I.'s ever been aggressive when you make them respond?

ha!! This is funny. The Ai are BOTH stoned AND stupid!

Christ.. it's GT1 for crying out loud. Geez. Get GT5 and join the online revolution that is GT before we all murder you. Oh erm... wait.

I'd be happy to if you've got $500 you can spare. 💡:dunce::banghead:

Has the A.I.'s ever been aggressive when you make them respond?

No. But if you run into their line, they keep trying to get back onto it, therefore it would seem that they are aggressive and respond. So, they give the illusion of having, 'emotion physics' without the technology allegedly used in GT3.

I think GT1 AIs are a tad smarter than GT2 AIs. In GT1 they can actually overtake each other, in GT2 they always stay in the same order unless one spins out/gets stuck.

Yes it does, if the faster car AI is behind a slower car AI, the faster one usually overtakes the slower one at some point during the race.

In GT2, on the other hand, even if a faster car is behind a slower one it will not pass (or attempt to pass) the slower one at all. Unless the front car make a mistake like I said or the difference between 2 cars is too great (like when the GT40 illegally appeared in one of the Historic races).

Of course, this isn't 100% true in all cases, it's just a general thing I noticed.

Guess you haven't spent much time doing the GT2 Regionals (Pacific League and European League). I have replays I could show you where several cars battle it out with you. If anything, I've read many complaints that GT2 races are "too close" because of its "rubber band AI".

Last edited:
Other events, such as the Convertible Car Cup race in Trial Mountain (591hp)and the Historic vehicle event (394hp) feature overtaking of this nature, namely Cobras battling Tuscans and GT40s taking on Stratos cars.

Back