The AI Cheats

• Thread starter TT92
  • 46 comments
Personally I can live with the AI needing some refinement, it can produce at least a challenge. Well much more than the typical GT/Forza and do so with much larger grid sizes.

That doesn't stop me for disliking how the community have been fooled with another developer being quiet, after delays releasing a game knowing their will be a large number of bugs/fixes not yet ironed out.

The game in general, seems some features/areas of it were implemented to just enough to suffice for the release date. Once they hit the basic requirement then devs were moving on to the next crucial element. This may not be the case at all but its what I feel happened in the released product. As if their was panic/rush to get "minimium working features" to the release window.

If anything the game is so vast with options. I'd of personally preferred a better working game with fewer options then adding more content/options as DLC.

Im new to PS4 so only read about Driveclubs issues but looking at it now it seems to be a well polished title so I have hope and belief P-Cars will see great improvement over the next year and with much more content to come.

Yes, we all know they are aggressive and tend to dive bomb you into corners and even seem to have super sticky tyres in the wet but I have found a new one.

Here are the details:

PS4, career mode, distance on minimum, GT4 race at Hockenheim 5 laps with mandatory pit stop and AI at 70%

So I get pole position, I stop on lap 2, first in and first out of the pits and I notice I am still 15 seconds behind the first place guy on lap 5 so work out he hasn't pitted. So the AI pits him on the last lap and he crosses the finish line in the pits and wins and I get second.

Now this tactic will only work *IF* your pit garage is at the far end of the pits and over the finish line and mine was the first one in the pits (so I found out when I pitted). Technically the finish line is on the track and you can not cross it in the pits (yes you are awarded having completed the lap). You must receive the chequered flag which does not occur in the pits.

What does everyone else think? Is this unfair because I can't use the tactic (I have no control over nor know where my pit box will be) or did the game decide it would cheat and make me get second?

How else does the AI cheat in this game? Something I really want to know before I start doing any endurance races.

The story unfolds even further.

Last night I was doing a 5 lapper at Spa, in GT3 cars, with a compulsory pit stop and it was looking like rain. So I started on slicks and thought I wouldn't pit until it got really wet.

Anyway I got a good start and was a 3 seconds in front of the AI in P2 and he dogged me the whole time. So it started to rain heavy at the start of lap 4 and he slipped past (as the AI does in the wet). So I thought I would follow him and obviously pit on the last lap like he was going to. The moment I crossed the start/finish line to start lap 5 I was instantly disqualified and my race was over while the AI sailed on to an easy cheating win.

Not happy :-(

The AI cars use tactics to cheat, they don't slow down when it rains nor need to change to wet tyres and can go 3-4 seconds a lap faster in a race than they did in practice and qualifying plus gain these huge straight line performance boosts :-(

I just lost the first race in gt3 @ Silverstone because one of the ai didn't pit!!! Grrrr he won by like 30 seconds and I was 3rd because of 3 dropped lugs :((

I just lost the first race in gt3 @ Silverstone because one of the ai didn't pit!!! Grrrr he won by like 30 seconds and I was 3rd because of 3 dropped lugs :((

It is comforting to know I am not the only one that this has happened to.

IMO a full sale price should deliver a full/finished game.
I love pCars but lets be honest, it is BAD as ANY game nowadays. Before internet connected consoles you get a CD with a finished game. Now you buy a unfinished product, pay a full price for it and start the long "waiting for a patch" release.
Lets go for Azure @ 50km/h :)

Its a love hate relationship with PCARS, doesn't help that the AI play bumper cars and bunt you off line, I hate touring cars because of that. I've retired and gave up all my classic tour races in career because of that. I've been bunted, spun off, and rolled over more times that I've actually raced. It is my fault it happens sometimes, but most of the time it was the AI.

ITs amazing that the AI can survive these shunts and stay on line. How do they survive? I love tap them and all hell breaks loose, and I've got a projectile for a car.

You would be better off just suspending your careers until SMS patches the AI bug when it rains halfway through the race.
Will be amongst the first things they patch luckily.

Also, regarding their aggressiveness, i'm going to copy-paste what i wrote yesterday on the official forums:

I think we are to used to the AI giving in because of other racing games. I'm not saying they don't make dumb moves sometimes like turning in whilst you have already been alongside them for a while (not divebombing). This can be improved a bit, but essentially we are to used of treating them like stupid bots that leave the door open or stay behind you once you pass them. Sometimes it's difficult to see but when you slip up the AI takes advantage immediately and goes for the gap, and you just turn in and wouldn't expect them to be there so you crash.

I've had a couple of moments that i felt that they were alongside me (i run my FOV quite close so i can't really see much in my peripheral vision), and if i would have just turned in or swerved back i would have hit them. In other games they don't try as hard or aren't as eager to really race you so i bet many people just go back to their lines or turn in, not realizing the AI is already there and have crashes so they commence to blame the AI whilst it really was their own fault.

I've had some nice wheel to wheel racing with AI, but between their Maldonadoesque manuevers, rain pace, and driveclub level track awareness, it really hasn't been all that good.

All AI seem to have stability control too, if you pull off a late Maldonado style inside of a corner overtake, like how the AI overtakes, you'll find yourself on your rooftop on the grass, with the AI miraculously still on the road. They do the same thing to you with no consequences to them, but you will find yourself airborne with no control of the car.

I've had some nice wheel to wheel racing with AI, but between their Maldonadoesque manuevers, rain pace, and driveclub level track awareness, it really hasn't been all that good.

All AI seem to have stability control too, if you pull off a late Maldonado style inside of a corner overtake, like how the AI overtakes, you'll find yourself on your rooftop on the grass, with the AI miraculously still on the road. They do the same thing to you with no consequences to them, but you will find yourself airborne with no control of the car.

What is fun is that they cheat so badly to jump in the inside and they stick to the track so much that they usually make their fastest laps everytime they attempt a dive bombing pass.... Try to brake an inch earlier than usual each turn and see AI recover from 5 seconds behind to you back in 2 laps :D

I remember in qualifying one of the gt3 cars did a 1.30.00 lap and everyone else was on the 2.17.00 mark which should have been the correct time was quite funny but didnt happen in q2.

You would be better off just suspending your careers until SMS patches the AI bug when it rains halfway through the race.
Will be amongst the first things they patch luckily.

Also, regarding their aggressiveness, i'm going to copy-paste what i wrote yesterday on the official forums:

I think we are to used to the AI giving in because of other racing games. I'm not saying they don't make dumb moves sometimes like turning in whilst you have already been alongside them for a while (not divebombing). This can be improved a bit, but essentially we are to used of treating them like stupid bots that leave the door open or stay behind you once you pass them. Sometimes it's difficult to see but when you slip up the AI takes advantage immediately and goes for the gap, and you just turn in and wouldn't expect them to be there so you crash.

I've had a couple of moments that i felt that they were alongside me (i run my FOV quite close so i can't really see much in my peripheral vision), and if i would have just turned in or swerved back i would have hit them. In other games they don't try as hard or aren't as eager to really race you so i bet many people just go back to their lines or turn in, not realizing the AI is already there and have crashes so they commence to blame the AI whilst it really was their own fault.

That's not what I've been experiencing. What I see is when I'm behind an AI car they brake and turn-in at roughly the same places I do, and all is well. But if the AI car is trailing me they can suddenly brake about 100 meters later and still make the turn, so they end up diving to my inside and more times than not shoving me off the track. If I try to block the inside line to prevent this, then they just go in the grass and cut the corner, and still usually push me off the track. So it seems that they have different behaviors depending on if they're trailing you or leading you.

I finished my first Clio Cup season last night but I'll be putting my career on hold until this issue is resolved as it's rather pointless and not enjoyable to battle for a championship in these conditions. In quick races it won't bother me much since points aren't on the line.

I will say that this is the first real bug I've encountered that's caused me frustration, but it seems like it would be a fairly easy thing for them to adjust so hopefully it will be addressed sooner than later.

That's not what I've been experiencing. What I see is when I'm behind an AI car they brake and turn-in at roughly the same places I do, and all is well. But if the AI car is trailing me they can suddenly brake about 100 meters later and still make the turn, so they end up diving to my inside and more times than not shoving me off the track. If I try to block the inside line to prevent this, then they just go in the grass and cut the corner, and still usually push me off the track. So it seems that they have different behaviors depending on if they're trailing you or leading you.

I finished my first Clio Cup season last night but I'll be putting my career on hold until this issue is resolved as it's rather pointless and not enjoyable to battle for a championship in these conditions. In quick races it won't bother me much since points aren't on the line.

I will say that this is the first real bug I've encountered that's caused me frustration, but it seems like it would be a fairly easy thing for them to adjust so hopefully it will be addressed sooner than later.

What he said. The more I play the game the more I'm starting to realize that SMS has done a great job of programming the AI to behave like a 12 year old kid in a public lobby that just wants to crash you when they are behind you. As long as the AI is in front of you, they run solid, realistic lines and are a challenge to pass but don't let one get behind you unless you want to be target practice.

I dont seem to be having that experience, in fact it seems like they avoid me at all cost. Its very easy to push someone off the road, without even touching them, as they swerve off as soon as I come into a certain distance of them. I've had cars on my ass coming up to a turn and so far haven't been in a situation like that. In fact I notice my braking points are a good bit after the AI so that can be the cause. That said, I haven't seen someone run me in at a speed that they shouldn't, into a corner.

I dont seem to be having that experience, in fact it seems like they avoid me at all cost. Its very easy to push someone off the road, without even touching them, as they swerve off as soon as I come into a certain distance of them. I've had cars on my ass coming up to a turn and so far haven't been in a situation like that. In fact I notice my braking points are a good bit after the AI so that can be the cause. That said, I haven't seen someone run me in at a speed that they shouldn't, into a corner.

They probably show you respect because you're a robot too. :sly:

I didn't start to see it until I switched the AI from 90 to 100. They didn't get any faster but they sure got a lot more aggressive in their pass attempts to the point of cutting corners and using me as a guardrail / turning assist as they return to the track after the corner cutting.

Worst is in qualifying where it's cloudy and dry to start with but then rains later on in the session... I always seem to be on the wrong tyre whereas the AI just pounds round setting blistering laps. My tactic from now on is to just put on dry slicks straight away drive around three quarters of the lap then park up until it starts drying up. That way I should get at least a lap on the right tyres.

Back