The Amazon Prime Not Topgear Show That From Now On Will Be Called "The Grand Tour"TV 

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 1,091 comments
I definitely feel like the jokes that they make feel a lot less "forced" and more natural this time.
* The team put famous Detroit musicians' faces on corners so they can remember the corner names.
* Hammond "misunderstands" and puts The Edge on one.
* Hammond drives over that marker.
* Clarkson says "Oooh no, Hammond's gone over The Edge!", in a wholly surprised manner.
* May says "Again.", deadpan.
* Following a pause measurable in only single digit Planck Times, Clarkson laughs with the expression of a man on his ninth take of that scene.

Yep, that scene felt truly organic.

* The team put famous Detroit musicians' faces on corners so they can remember the corner names.
* Hammond "misunderstands" and puts The Edge on one.
* Hammond drives over that marker.
* Clarkson says "Oooh no, Hammond's gone over The Edge!", in a wholly surprised manner.
* May says "Again.", deadpan.
* Following a pause measurable in only single digit Planck Times, Clarkson laughs with the expression of a man on his ninth take of that scene.

Yep, that scene felt truly organic.
Ahh, but it’s still funny :lol:.

I started watching the new season on my lunch breaks. I spotted the re-make of the Stratos in the opening so that should be interesting. So far it seems like it is starting right where Season 2 left off.

I do agree with Clarkson and May though. Hammond should just not wear any pants so the paramedics have one less article of clothing to cut off when he crashes. :lol:

Fantastic special, easily the best special they have done on this new show, and arguably the best couple of episodes of TGT ever.

My opinion.

Fantastic special, easily the best special they have done on this new show, and arguably the best couple of episodes of TGT ever.

My opinion.

Agreed, totally ! Even my wife eventually started to enjoy it after the look of dread she gave me when I first said I was gojng to watch it.

Part 2 in particular was amazing. I legit laughed out aloud on several occasions. The cars were the highlight, the Panda is one of the best cars they've had on the show and the Wrangler is such a beast.

Echo'd everyone sentiments. This feels just like any of their old specials. On the bridge part their fear is as palpable as when they drove on the Death Road in Bolivia Special.

Also May's Panda Rallye sounds fantastic :D

Watched the pick-up truck episode last night, pretty meh especially with how good the previous week's adventure was. The premise behind the whole "how trucks work in the developing world" was fine, it's just that they picked some uninteresting trucks. I get they wanted to focus in on European trucks, but at the same time, I think it'd been better to just have Japanese ones instead.

I also find it strange that for a show that caters to mostly Americans would do something on Euro pickups and not say, American ones.

The Conversation Street segment is also starting to really show how mistimed it all it is too. Talking about cars is great and all, but with filming happening so far in the past it's a bit hard for it to be relevant.

I did like the Jag though. It looks ridiculous but I'd have one.

Admittedly the news segment is pretty funny akin to the older Top Gear ones.

Still not as good but reeaaly close.

Yesterday episode was genuinely awful. Before they were just dull but that episode was painful to watch.

The Colombia special was awesome, I love when they do the challenges with old cars. They seem to have more fun with the cars. Imo it seems to be more interesting then when they do new cars.

The least episode with pickup trucks was horrible, the Jaguar Project 8 was nice but the pickup truck was 🤬. The first bit on the farm was funny but then they did the test they all seemed staged and made it joke a joke of it.
-------

It's likely there will be no more Celebrity Face Off

Celebrity guests have been absent from every episode so far, despite a teased appearance of Howard from the Halifax ads (American readers: Google it). In fact, good old Howard kind of helps explain why the segment has been chopped this time around.

Speaking recently, host Jeremy Clarkson revealed that the show's global appeal makes it difficult to have guests that would work for all audiences.
Many years ago it was a British show, it was really shown in the UK," he said. "And then it became international and it still is very, very international – we're much better known in Italy and China than we are here, weirdly.

"So there’s no point in having a guest where you go, 'ladies and gentlemen it’s Howard from the Halifax advert,' because in Uruguay, they haven’t got a ******* clue who Howard is," Clarkson quipped. "So there seemed to be no point to us persevering with the guest, and so that segment – and I don’t know if this goes down well with you – has gone."
The revelation was met with cheers from the crowd, which was at a screening of the new series.

In another interview with Digital Spy, Clarkson opened up about the decision further, saying the change has made recording easier.

"It certainly makes the recording easier... my mind was always distracted by the fact you have an interview to do," he said. "If you've got a chat show, you turn up for work and you're doing a chat show. But I was turning up, you've got to try and make James interesting – always tricky – then you've got Hammond, who's Hammond."

"You've got your studio audience. And you've got the links into and out of... And then you've got, effectively, a chat show to record. It's a lot," he added. "It's easier to spend the money and time on films, rather than on the guest."
Motor1 UK

Fresh off of watching this week's episode. Didn't know much about Jim Clark other than that he was an Indianapolis 500 Winner and an F1 World Champion. Amazed by what I learned about him tonight, and once again The Grand Tour's features on racing history is some of their best work.

Fresh off of watching this week's episode. Didn't know much about Jim Clark other than that he was an Indianapolis 500 Winner and an F1 World Champion. Amazed by what I learned about him tonight, and once again The Grand Tour's features on racing history is some of their best work.
Agree. Its one of the best episodes they have done across all three seasons to date.

Also glad to see that its helped spread the greatness that was Jim Clark as well.

I'm ashamed to say I knew very little about Jim Clark so that entire section of the show was fascinating to me. It was beautifully put together. I found Hammond's horse rant hilarious too :lol:
He needs a film making of his life, but until then its word of mouth and a few documentaries that keep his (and many others from that period) achievements going.

1: Life on the Limit is a good place to start if you haven't seen it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GDEZP70/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

The Jim Clark segment was fantastic. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about him so I'm glad they really dove into all his racing history. Even my wife liked the segment too.

As for everything else? It was all pretty meh.

Just watched the episode and boy, that Jim Clark segment was just a sheer joy to behold. Knew a bit about how great he was, but still had no idea he also competed in Aussie championships too. What a revelation, that. My level of respect for Clark has gone up a notch now.

To be honest, I half expected to see Clarkson or even May hosting that film. Those two used to do those types of films more often in the past and they were utterly brilliant in them, too. Still, I loved it. And that's all that matters, I guess.

The Jim Clark piece, alongside the GT40 segment from the earlier series, are the standout parts of the Grand Tour for me.
I hope they do a piece on either Fangio or Mika Hakkinen, or other interesting drivers/rivalries from the past.

Jim Clark piece was magnificent, like others have said here I didn't know a lot about him either but the film showed what an amazing man he was.

Urus piece was pretty good, Alpine piece was a bit meh, Hammonds horse rant was great and it was good to see Abbie doing something other than driving cars around their average race track.

Good episode all in all.

I knew some about Jim Clark's history beforehand, but this week's episode made me realize just how good he actually was in his time.

The Jim Clark segment was, hands down, the best of Top Gear/ Grand Tour. So well done. Would love more like that.

Just watched the episode and boy, that Jim Clark segment was just a sheer joy to behold. Knew a bit about how great he was, but still had no idea he also competed in Aussie championships too. What a revelation, that. My level of respect for Clark has gone up a notch now.

To be honest, I half expected to see Clarkson or even May hosting that film. Those two used to do those types of films more often in the past and they were utterly brilliant in them, too. Still, I loved it. And that's all that matters, I guess.

Clarkson or May couldn't fit in Clark's car :)

But yeah the racing stuff is usually something that I would figure Jeremy or May would present. It was a fantastic segment. 1965 was an amazing year not only in the racing world but it produced me as well. :)

The Urus segment was good because I was curious how good it would perform as an actual "off road" vehicle.

I will agree with everyone above about the Jim Clark segment, they did a really good job talking about him and showing his victorys. What a driver!
To note: I didn't know much about him prior to that as I don't really care much for Formula 1, the only thing I got into F1 related was seeing the movie "Rush" a few years ago.

This episode was a mixed bag for me. The NIO section was very well filmed and cool to watch, it made the car feel like a ship from Wipeout but the sections in China were very hit and miss.

I really enjoyed seeing the Chinese cars, hearing about the city and their roads systems, and some of the photography was beautiful. I laughed out loud when James dropped his fan. But saying "you've bought the the long car" and "dlagons den"? Really? In 2019? I knew they were archaic but even for them it felt very out of place.

That's before you even get to
Hammond "crashing" his car at the end

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back